ADVERTISEMENT

***NCAA Session 3 Thread***

Never said I was smart. Just tired of watching Cash. I’m pretty sure I’m not the only Hawk fan that feels that way.
Well as far as i know there’s always open competition. If there’s anyone better maybe they should step up. Right now Cash has the spot.

I am a PSU fan and come here because you have an active board, with the majority not inclined to constant petty diatribe.
If an osu board etc. were as active, I’d go there.
Your knowledgeable, balanced posters are well worth reading. The rest are as bad as those on the PSU board, they offer plenty of opinion with very little information, and like your board, are petty and mean spirited.
Thank you for the good ones and their POV.
I find if you want to have a good discussion on another Board stay away from the tournaments. Just more of the casual fans are around who tend to not really understand the sport.

Seriously with all the Wilcke bashing and hoping he’s not in the lineup next year? The kid’s won what 7-8 matches at nationals over the last three years? And that’s up a weight for 2 years. 184 really clears out after this year with 6 of the top 10 graduating. Dean will probably be ranked #1, yea the same guy Wilcke should have beat last night. I get why everyone is frustrated with him for his BS but I for one am really optimistic he’ll put together a great senior year and get high on the podium. If the hawks are going to have any chance to win it next year, they’ll need that from him so I really hope he can make that happen

Ironside actually calls it a wizard, so people tend to call it that on this board in because he does.
Yes, I cringe every time Ironside says it as well. He is a great announcer, but I wish he would get over his bad habit and quit spreading the ignorance.

Tonight’s session

Semis

Lee vs Picc
Young vs Berger

Consis

Desanto vs Gomez
Murin vs Red
Lugo vs Thorn
Marinelli vs Massa
Warner vs Sleigh
Stoll vs Hemida

Reactions: MSeil
How soon til we see a lineup without Cash Wilcke in it?
Hopefully, that’s the last of Cash we’ll see. Very good wrestler with all of the athletic tools — just doesn’t have it mentally and probably never will.
Not anytime soon, but if you would like to ask him face to face or have anything you would like to say to any of the other guys on the team, I am confident I could arrange that for you two...

I got an idea to remedy the unfairness of the brackets - such as 165. Let the #1 seed pick which side he wants to go on. That would totally eliminate the unfairness.

And in theory, they should always choose the side they were supposed to get. So it shouldn't have much of an impact. I like it.

Actually you’re wrong. No one said a thing about the other guy stalling the first three losses today. People might’ve said the Iowa guys could’ve did something different but there was no mention of the other guys stalling really. Most people tip their cap and wish it would’ve ended up different. There are matches that Stalling is a huge determining factor in the match when it’s not called.Realize that

I also don’t think anyone really has been saying that Marinelli got robbed either. People are just frustrating when your guy is the aggressor all match and the other guy does nothing until the end and steals a match.
Because that's the best way to upset Iowa wrestlers since 2010.

Everyone has picked up on this and then laughs when we call them out on it, like "Lol yeah you caught us scumbagging. So what? Deal with it. Sincerely, everyone that hates Iowa...."

THAT......is petty bullsh**.

Seriously with all the Wilcke bashing and hoping he’s not in the lineup next year? The kid’s won what 7-8 matches at nationals over the last three years? And that’s up a weight for 2 years. 184 really clears out after this year with 6 of the top 10 graduating. Dean will probably be ranked #1, yea the same guy Wilcke should have beat last night. I get why everyone is frustrated with him for his BS but I for one am really optimistic he’ll put together a great senior year and get high on the podium. If the hawks are going to have any chance to win it next year, they’ll need that from him so I really hope he can make that happen

My friend, you are correct in that 184 clears out a bit, but at the same time there will be new faces in there. And we'll have the same Cash. I don't doubt his skills, but his style seems to lead to him waiting for the 3rd period and then praying that everything goes his way. Truth be told, I'd rather see someone new as opposed to shoving this Dewalt drill bit through my skull every time I watch one of his matches. Perhaps Kem will put on a few extra pounds in the off-season and be our 184 vice 74, and one of those young studs can beef up into the 74 slot. Again, I do not question Cash's skills, power, etc., but I do question the way he uses those skills. I'm sure he's a great kid, but I'm ready for a crazed MF like what Young has become. The kid is really turning into a fricking stud!!

Be careful, you wouldn't want to logically explain the situation! Spoils the fun of ripping on someone, ya know.
No kidding. People are acting like Cash swung by their house and kicked their dog or something. Cash had a tough draw and nearly won a match last night no one thought he had a chance to. Gets caught today but loses to two guys seeded much higher than him. Might not be a bad idea to lighten up on the guy a bit.

No kidding. People are acting like Cash swung by their house and kicked their dog or something. Cash had a tough draw and nearly won a match last night no one thought he had a chance to. Gets caught today but loses to two guys seeded much higher than him. Might not be a bad idea to lighten up on the guy a bit.
I guarantee not one person on this Board feels worse than him.

Not sure why he worked his way back in from the edge, he didn't need that roll through, he was in no danger of a takedown from that position. He pushed too hard at the end.
I saw the same thing. There was no way he could lose the TD while he was pushing in from the front. There was no reason to move in and dive.

Are Berge and RBY still in it?

My big concern for this tourney for a year has been PSU beating our scoring record.

And that, in short, explains the difference between Iowa and PSU. When was the last time when PSU had a guy who was a one seed lose? When they do, they win. I wish we would have a couple of guys who the question is not if they win, but rather by how much, or how soon will they pin their opponents?
That is not the difference between Iowa and PSU. #1 your memory is short, and #2 What is true of individual phenoms is not the whole team. We are back to the current recruiting situation and current level of talent coming out of the state of PA.

PITTSBURGH, Pennsylvania -- University of Iowa sophomores Spencer Lee and Kaleb Young advanced to the semifinals of the 2019 NCAA Championships following quarterfinal wins Friday afternoon at PPG Paints Arena.

Lee, the No. 3 seed at 125, and Young, the No. 6 seed at 157, secured All-America honors and moved one step closer to Saturday’s finals. The semifinals begin Friday at 8 p.m. (CT).

Lee led No. 6 Sean Russell, 11-2, before locking up a fall in five minutes, 59 seconds. Lee has outscored opponents 39-3 on his way to the semifinals, where he will meet Oklahoma State’s second-seeded Nick Piccininni. Lee is 2-1 all-time against Piccininni. The wrestlers have traded pins in their last two meetings.

“I just focus on scoring points, that’s a big thing. Continuing to score points in every position in every match,” Lee said. “I want to tech or pin everybody. That’s just how I’ve always been. It’s not the most realistic thing in the world because everyone else wants to win too. I feel like if you have that mindset to continue to score points then the techs and pins will come and points will continue to pile on.”

Young entered the quarterfinals with a pair of bonus points wins, but used overtime to avenge a loss from earlier this season against No. 3 Ryan Deakin. Young built a 4-1 lead with two takedowns in the first period, and finished the match with a takedown 14 seconds into sudden victory.

“I was kind of feeling it, but if I’m feeling it I know he’s feeling it just as much, if not more,” Young said. “When you get to attacks and finish fast, it makes it hard on a guy. I have got to keep it going.”

Young will face No. 2 Tyler Berger of Nebraska in the semis. Berger beat Young, 3-1, in sudden victory at Nebraska on Feb. 3.

Eight of Iowa’s nine tournament qualifiers are still alive. Austin DeSanto (133), Max Murin (141), Pat Lugo (149), Alex Marinelli (165), and Sam Stoll (285) fell in the quarterfinals, but all are within one win of reaching the medal stand.

Jacob Warner won a pair of matches in the wrestle-backs at 197. He won by 9-1 major decision and advanced to the consolation quarterfinals with a 10-6 decision.

“It’s for honors, All-America honors,” Iowa head coach Tom Brands said. “Sports is a metaphor for life and wrestling more than any other sport. You get your heart ripped out, it’s an individual thing and there’s a lot of pride. You have a chance to come back for individual honors. You’re not going to be where you want on the stand, but you still come back. That’s where we are.”

Cash Wilcke was eliminated from the tournament, splitting a pair of matches Friday on the backside of the 184-pound bracket.

The Hawkeyes are in fourth place with 43.5 points heading into the semifinals. Penn State leads the team race with 80 points. Ohio State is in second with 66.6. Oklahoma State is in third with 56.

The NCAA Championships continue Friday at 7 p.m. (CT). The semifinals and consolation rounds will begin simultaneously on six mats. ESPN and WatchESPN are providing television and online coverage of Session IV.

QUARTERFINAL RESULTS

125 - #3 Spencer Lee (Iowa) pinned #6 Sean Russell (MINN), 5:59

133 - #2 Stephan Micic (MICH) dec. #7 Austin DeSanto (Iowa), 3-2

141 - #3 Nick Lee (PSU) dec. #22 Max Murin (Iowa), 4-1

149 - #2 Micah Jordan (OSU) dec. #10 Pat Lugo (Iowa), 10-3

157 - #6 Kaleb Young (Iowa) dec. #3 Ryan Deakin (NU), 7-5 SV1

165 - #8 Mekhi Lewis (VT) dec. #1 Alex Marinelli (Iowa), 3-1

285 - #4 Jordan Wood (LEHIGH) dec. #28 Sam Stoll (Iowa), 2-0

CONSOLATION RESULTS

184 - #12 Cash Wilcke (Iowa) major dec. #22 Mason Reinhardt (WISC), 8-0

184 - #4 Emery Parker (ILL) pinned #12 Cash Wilcke (Iowa), 5:22

197 - #5 Jacob Warner (Iowa) major dec. #27 Joshua Roetman (NAVY), 9-1

197 - #5 Jacob Warner (Iowa) dec. #19 Tanner Orndorff (UVU), 10-6

SEMIFINALS MATCHUPS

125 - #3 Spencer Lee vs. #2 Nick Piccininni (OKST)

157 - #6 Kaleb Young (Iowa) vs. #2 Tyler Berger (NEB)

ROUND OF 12 MATCHUPS

133 - #7 Austin DeSanto (Iowa) vs. #13 Austin Gomez (IAST)

141 - #22 Max Murin (Iowa) vs. #16 Chad Red (NEB)

149 - #10 Pat Lugo (Iowa) vs. #20 Tommy Thorn (MINN)

165 - #1 Alex Marinelli (Iowa) vs. #6 Logan Massa (MICH)

197 - #5 Jacob Warner (Iowa) vs. #10 Tom Sleight (VT)

285 - #28 Sam Stoll (Iowa) vs. #10 Youssif Hemida (MARY)

TEAM STANDINGS

1.Penn State 80

2.Ohio State 66.5

3.Oklahoma St. 56

4.IOWA 43.5

5.Michigan 40

6.Missouri 36.5

7.Minnesota 32

8.Rutgers 29.5

9.NC State 29

10.Cornell 26.5

Reactions: depelland