ADVERTISEMENT

***NCAA Session 3 Thread***

Penny State has recruited most of their guys from outside of the state of PA. We may have more guys in the starting lineup from PA than they do.

I guarantee not one person on this Board feels worse than him.
Absolutely. He probably won't be done crying his eyes out until the next session when he comes out and roots on his teammates. Of course it's frustrating as a fan to see any of our guys lose, but as much as I love our board, sometimes the bashing of our guys just gets out of hand. Hell, if I was out at the tourney and saw Cash out and about later tonight I would buy the guy a beer, a shot and as many slices of pizza he wanted.

Seriously with all the Wilcke bashing and hoping he’s not in the lineup next year? The kid’s won what 7-8 matches at nationals over the last three years? And that’s up a weight for 2 years. 184 really clears out after this year with 6 of the top 10 graduating. Dean will probably be ranked #1, yea the same guy Wilcke should have beat last night. I get why everyone is frustrated with him for his BS but I for one am really optimistic he’ll put together a great senior year and get high on the podium. If the hawks are going to have any chance to win it next year, they’ll need that from him so I really hope he can make that happen
Can I ask what makes you optimistic? His 3 failures in a row in his 2nd, 3rd, and 4th years in the program? Cash will be the same guy next year that he has been the last 4. It is completely illogical to me that a 4 year starter will be our weakest link next year. People can say he has improved all they want, prove it! The results sure don't show it and he is now supposed to be at the correct weight.

Not anytime soon, but if you would like to ask him face to face or have anything you would like to say to any of the other guys on the team, I am confident I could arrange that for you two...
No, don’t do that! You don’t think he’d try to beat me up, do you? Lol, you guys are too funny.

No kidding. People are acting like Cash swung by their house and kicked their dog or something. Cash had a tough draw and nearly won a match last night no one thought he had a chance to. Gets caught today but loses to two guys seeded much higher than him. Might not be a bad idea to lighten up on the guy a bit.
Not only that he got screwed last night, 3-0 shots in the third and he gets called for stalling because of defensive moves on the shots he initiated. Lmao
Plus it was like 10 shots to 1 for the match, pathetic stall calls.

Lol, used to be the guy that wasn't shooting got called for stalling, now the guy that initiated the shot gets called for stalling if the shot turns against him and he has to defend. Lol
Insanity

Reactions: In Kirk I Trust
Penny State has recruited most of their guys from outside of the state of PA. We may have more guys in the starting lineup from PA than they do.

They have PA, PA, NY, NJ, which I will generally include as regional. Iowa has 5 with Kem. PSU has 16 PA overall, without including regional. Their studs have certainly risen to the top from elsewhere, but still starting with a wide base of locals.

Absolutely. He probably won't be done crying his eyes out until the next session when he comes out and roots on his teammates. Of course it's frustrating as a fan to see any of our guys lose, but as much as I love our board, sometimes the bashing of our guys just gets out of hand. Hell, if I was out at the tourney and saw Cash out and about later tonight I would buy the guy a beer, a shot and as many slices of pizza he wanted.
Can I ask what makes you optimistic? His 3 failures in a row in his 2nd, 3rd, and 4th years in the program? Cash will be the same guy next year that he has been the last 4. It is completely illogical to me that a 4 year starter will be our weakest link next year. People can say he has improved all they want, prove it! The results sure don't show it and he is now supposed to be at the correct weight.
Wilcke had a decent tourney. I'd buy him a beer too.

The issue is that he is maddening to watch and he's not going to magically morph into Marinelli next year. Wilcke is Wilcke. It's Brands' fault that he's a four-year starter.

The lineup I'd love to see next year:

Lee
Desanto
Renteria
Murin
Young
Bull
KemDawg
Wilcke
Warner
Cass

Lee
Desanto
Renteria
Murin
Young
Bull
KemDawg
Wilcke
Warner
Cass
Me too but with someone different at 184. Any studs left in class of 2019 or transfers looking for new home? Cash is what he is, solid R12 - fringe AA guy and what's worse is his style is maddening.

Reactions: vhsalum
I think that's overly simplistic. He was not very good as a freshman. Didn't even qualify, but got in due to injury, then went on an amazing run. Way overperformed. Last year, he was much improved and became a legit top 10 guy. He lost to the 3rd seed (eventual runner up) in the second round, then became the victim of Kollin Moore getting tossed to his back, putting him in his R12 match. The last two years, Wilcke's tournament losses are the 1st, 3rd, 4th, and 5th seeds. I think the lowest seed he's ever lost to is the 7 in the R12 as a freshman. It happens at the NCAA tournament, especially at a deep weight with a ton of parity like 184 this year. He could just as easily be getting ready to wrestle in the semis tonight right now. Hell, if he's on the other side of the bracket, he could have possibly made the finals. He can definitely beat Foster and Ness.

Lee
Desanto
Renteria
Murin
Young
Bull
KemDawg
Wilcke
Warner
Cass
That’s a tough lineup. My concern would be Murin. He doesn’t seem to be able to finish shots at 41. I think another year there would benefit him. Does he cut a lot of weight?

For them to go into the high 160’s would mean they would have to win every semi with bonus and every final with bonus. Have to remember how ‘97 went down.

Adjust the 83 team and they were 177. Adjusting 97 only adds 2 points from 170 to 172. Iowa scored 40 bonus points in 92 and scored 149.

2017, PSU ran the finals table and scored 32 bonus to score scored 146. When Iowa won in 92, they scored 40 bonus. Still the record.

Highest PSU has scored in placement points is 91 in 2018. Still, 141.

Record is secure.

Reactions: TarpHawk
That’s a tough lineup. My concern would be Murin. He doesn’t seem to be able to finish shots at 41. I think another year there would benefit him. Does he cut a lot of weight?
I think you have to let Murin and Renteria duke it out at 141 next year. Lugo is better than we give him credit for (same with Murin too). Murin then slides up the next year and takes over 149 when Lugo graduates.

I think Renteria has some great skills, but him not competing this year worries me. I'm counting on Murin being the guy until proven otherwise. I think he's going to be much improved next year too. Regardless of how this tournament finishes for him, he's shown he can compete with these top guys.

I hear relivent. Are the hawks relivent.
What does that mean?
Last 10 years, PSU has 7 titles, Iowa 3 and tOSU 1.

20 years? PSU 7, Iowa 5, Okie 4, Minnie 3 and tOSU 1

30 years? Since 1989. Iowa 12, PSU still 7, okie 7, mini 4 and tOSU 1.

While we all want to see more titles, keep better perspective. Iowa is still relivent to anyone who has been around the sport longer than 10 years.

PSU is an awesome team right now. We are not on their level yet. But to say we are not relivent anymore is just a waste of brain energy. Okie state went longer without a title, guess they are not relivent. In over 40 years only 7 different teams have won titles. Yet only 2 or 3 teams are relivent?

Come on son.

Murin is cutting a good bit. He’s better than lugo at 149.
I'm a huge Murin fan, but I don't see this. Lugo has been better than Murin this year. Do you think Murin's cut significantly impacts him? If so, then maybe, but I would count on Murin back down at 141 next year.

Me too but with someone different at 184. Any studs left in class of 2019 or transfers looking for new home? Cash is what he is, solid R12 - fringe AA guy and what's worse is his style is maddening.

As much as we would like a different 184. Assad needs a redshirt

Reactions: Hawkeyecurtis81
I'm a huge Murin fan, but I don't see this. Lugo has been better than Murin this year. Do you think Murin's cut significantly impacts him? If so, then maybe, but I would count on Murin back down at 141 next year.

It’s affecting him. The plan was always to go 149, he’s just gotten bigger, sooner.

I think you have to let Murin and Renteria duke it out at 141 next year. Lugo is better than we give him credit for (same with Murin too). Murin then slides up the next year and takes over 149 when Lugo graduates.

I think Renteria has some great skills, but him not competing this year worries me. I'm counting on Murin being the guy until proven otherwise. I think he's going to be much improved next year too. Regardless of how this tournament finishes for him, he's shown he can compete with these top guys.
I’m excited for Murins future. I’m sure he’ll improve a lot next year I don’t think he’s far off.

Wilcke had a decent tourney. I'd buy him a beer too.

The issue is that he is maddening to watch and he's not going to magically morph into Marinelli next year. Wilcke is Wilcke. It's Brands' fault that he's a four-year starter.
Agreed. Hard part with Cash in my opinion is I don’t think he realizes how talented he is. Yes, he wasn’t a top recruit coming out of high school, but Cash has shown that he is indeed very talented on several occasions. For whatever reason, he simply hasn’t shown this on a consistent basis, and I think it’s a mental hurdle for him. I think if he could just let the fur fly on a consistent basis he would easily AA. Just my two cents

Cheers.

Reactions: vhsalum
No dice. Weird TD call at the end.

Re: Rasheed. Actually it was back points. Geer got out with 1:10 to go and it was 2-2. The pair got into another scramble, and this time Rasheed’s back got near the mat. The referee called a “danger zone” count against Rasheed, giving Geer two near fall points as time expired even though he was not in control, in the neutral position. Penn State challenged the call, but — after review — the officials said the call stood. Frustrating but that's the sport.

Re: Rasheed. Actually it was back points. Geer got out with 1:10 to go and it was 2-2. The pair got into another scramble, and this time Rasheed’s back got near the mat. The referee called a “danger zone” count against Rasheed, giving Geer two near fall points as time expired even though he was not in control, in the neutral position. Penn State challenged the call, but — after review — the officials said the call stood. Frustrating but that's the sport.
I’ve never heard of that rule until today. I guess we just landed on the moon as well so pardon my ignorance, but it seems kind of silly to be able to get back points before getting 2 for a takedown IMHO

Danger zone rule awards a TD, not back points

They have PA, PA, NY, NJ, which I will generally include as regional. Iowa has 5 with Kem. PSU has 16 PA overall, without including regional. Their studs have certainly risen to the top from elsewhere, but still starting with a wide base of locals.

Hall is from Minnesota, so is Berge. Nickal is from Texas, Nick Lee is from Indiana and Bravo-Young is from Arizona. Nolf and Joseph are the only native Pennsylvanians in the starting lineup.

Following the sport faithfully since 2010.

Not even close. Following PSU wrestling since the late 60s. Our local newspaper kept fans updated. I followed as I was learning wrestling in high school. That's when you started in 7th grade.

I'm hoping the jabs were in jest as I realize how many feel about PSU. I respect Iowa wrestling as the Gable years were legendary. Sorry I wasn't aware of this rule. NEVER saw it called before even though many have been in this position. I was repeating what the announcers stated.

You guys have had a really good tourney so far and yes next year will be quite a challenge. I try to follow Iowa wrestling as my wife is an Iowa grad. and I have traveled from PA to IA for 39 straight years and will again this late Spring. I enjoy reading the critiques and evaluations of performances as this site has wrestling-smart posters.

Enjoy the sport!

Not even close. Following PSU wrestling since the late 60s. Our local newspaper kept fans updated. I followed as I was learning wrestling in high school. That's when you started in 7th grade.

I'm hoping the jabs were in jest as I realize how many feel about PSU. I respect Iowa wrestling as the Gable years were legendary. Sorry I wasn't aware of this rule. NEVER saw it called before even though many have been in this position. I was repeating what the announcers stated.

You guys have had a really good tourney so far and yes next year will be quite a challenge. I try to follow Iowa wrestling as my wife is an Iowa grad. and I have traveled from PA to IA for 39 straight years and will again this late Spring. I enjoy reading the critiques and evaluations of performances as this site has wrestling-smart posters.

Enjoy the sport!
Can’t speak for others but mine was in jest. Iowa football had a ton of bandwagoners jump on in 02-04 and jump off in 12-14 before coming right back after 15 lol. Of course there’s loyal fans in there for both Iowa football and PSU wrestling. Gotta spice it up though talk shit when we can about what we can lol.

Reactions: PSU197276
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT