ADVERTISEMENT

Soldier Salute Session IV Thread

This pushing after the match bullcrap seems to mostly be an Iowa thing. It gets old. Sometimes they don’t do crap all match and then give the face push after. You just beat the guy, you don’t push his face. And the excuses that it shows pent up frustration or fire—that’s all bullshit.

Some guy pushes you after the match, you have to push back. You can’t take that.

I’m calling out Rathjen and AJ on that. Not Anthony or Glazier. Are we kicking Rathjen off too? Are we going to kick Arnold off for spanking a guy? This weak shit has gone on for years at Iowa. It’s on Brands. He doesn’t seem to care. Stop the face push or face smush, or extra shove after the match. It’s classless and will rightfully escalate. Pretty simple.
Say nothing when you lose. Say less when you win. Act like you've been there. Other teams manage to do it. NCAA champs manage to do it. Wrestling is an emotional sport, but part of it sucking it up and manning up.

Now that the fire has cooled a bit. How do we feel about the squad after the tourney? drake has to be right back in the thick of AA status. Two beautiful wins. Teske wins but against who? Tourney guy. Woods being Woods. Rathjen working to make a name for himself? His spot over VV? I’d prefer it as maybe he’s not afraid to shoot. Franek is the man here. Not sure #2 but he high AA. Caliendo is our dude here. PK either needs to bulk or be ready if something happens. 174 gapping hole. Not sure it’s best for Gabe to go true frogs or not but yes clearly best in the room and a AA candidate no question. 184 MAJOR hole. 197 love glaziers fight even if AJ don’t sign and kind of hope he don’t now. I was on board but too much negativity everywhere. Not sure it’s shining a spotlight on us that we want. I think Glaziers quality enough to get a 7/8place at nattys. HWT huge hole.

What do we see? 6 AA? Two finalists? Maybe one champ? Bartlett going to give woods fits again

Reactions: sdvike and TarpHawk
Im sorry i disagree. That kid has had to watch others go and all the hype around ferraris had to wear on him. I totally get it and love it by him
So Rathje pushing after the match is great, but AJ pushing after the match is not? All this after match pushing has to stop. It seems when one of our guys does it (ADS, Spencer, etc) It’s ok, but otherwise it’s bad. Let’s give the Ferrari’s a fair shake and not hang them over a post match pushing that Brands has encouraged for years.

• Haha
Reactions: okcpokefan12
No its not. You were the ferrari ass kisser

Ferrari ass kisser? Quote a single one of my posts where I've kissed his ass. I don't recall every saying anything good about AJ other than maybe he's a good wrestler.

It is moral inconsistency and hypocrisy on your part, and that's an objective fact.

Last edited:
Reactions: 07mantle
Well the morning after SS 2023 (shitshow 2023) can only imagine the convos going on behind closed doors in Iowa city. Gabe’s nonsense can be addressed with some punishing conditioning no biggy, 149 issues are non issues, iron sharpens iron just keep it in the room and settle it on the mat. AJ….. best of luck tnt on how to handle that.

I competed on competitive wrestling teams in HS and college. Wrestlers get chippy. Every program I have been apart of has had fights. Tonight’s antics were pg13 compared to the room. With all that said. I have no issues with anything that happened tonight from the flexing, pushing, slapping, reffing, and didn’t even have a problem with the first bird given to Glazier by AJ. It was the double bird to the crowd while doing the splits that was ridiculous. Everything else was boys will be boys testosterone. The on going fu** you to the crowd was stupid.
It
Where did I say Gabe took a swing at anyone or that Gabe gave anyone the finger? You're reading what you want to read vice what I wrote. And what do you mean "this was not AJ's altercation?" I completely disagree; this was AJ's altercation and he needs to be accountable for his actions. Perhaps a match or two suspension if/when he does join the team? I don't know. But I'm not going to kick him off the team for giving the bird or for getting into a pissing contest that resulted in a swing and a miss following a hard fought match.
You don’t pick up on sarcasm very well. You equated what Gabe did to down play what AJ did. I’m saying no comparison. Most ridiculous comment ever, “suspend AJ for a couple games”. AJ is AJ and all the jay sayers need to realize it. Is winning at any cost really that important to you.

Well the morning after SS 2023 (shitshow 2023) can only imagine the convos going on behind closed doors in Iowa city. Gabe’s nonsense can be addressed with some punishing conditioning no biggy, 149 issues are non issues, iron sharpens iron just keep it in the room and settle it on the mat. AJ….. best of luck tnt on how to handle that.
Some genuine public contrition could solve most of this but highly unlikely - obviously. AJ doesnt seem currently motivated or capable of managing his emotive behaviors. I dont want this to be true but it is what it is for now. He is far from the only clown in the circus but that doesnt matter either... too bad for Iowa wrestling. I'm very troubled by Gabe's behavior as I has higher levels of respect for him. AJ was always a fantasy 'maybe' but Gabe was supposedly rock solid character wise.🤷‍♂️ And Im talking the patty cake butt stuff not the flex so much.

Reactions: Yellow Snow
Is it really necessary to go here again? People can have different reasons for what, why, and who they choose to support. Being black and white on every critical issue is part of the reason we are where we are right now in this country.

I think tolerating, and supporting abhorrent behavior is "the reason we are where we are right now in this country".

That's an uncomfortable truth for many people.

I get AJ got DQ’d. Justifiably. I don’t understand how he lost the match. I understand him not getting 1st. I understand his overall tourney points being eliminated say he was on a team. What I don’t understand is that being counted as a loss. He won the match in OT. IMO he should get a DQ I’d even understand not giving him credit for any of his wins but I don’t think it should be counted as a loss. He lost his marbles and is a bit crazy but he didn’t lose the match. That bracket should have went as it did 2-8 without a champion. Glazier should have got 2nd and so on. A bit confusing.
Your opinions don't override the actual rules.

I think we should all be thanking the Ferrari family for blessing Iowa wrestling with there presence. We are the lucky ones. They didn’t do nothing to deserve how the Iowa fans and fellow Iowa teammates treated them this weekend. Shame on Rathjen and Glazier for there match behavior and antics provoking Anthony and AJ to respond. If you ask me all Iowa staff should be terminated and let Daddy Ferrari run this ship. They are our only hope.

Totally kidding above

On a serious note. I just don’t see how you move forward with them now even if they want to stay and keep team unity. And I do agree AJ and the dad are the main source of the problems at this point. But they are all clearly a package deal at this point in time in my opinion. Little bro and baby bro need to break free and carve out there own name and path before they ruined before given a chance

Last edited:
I seriously doubt TnT, Marinelli, DD, M-Star, Telford will have a team meeting and say yup we need to get rid of them. They'll come up with a plan to work with the Ferrari's.
Respectfully disagree here.
Making special accommodations for a problematic few in a group is an almost sure-fire way to lose the respect and attention of the large majority that have been working within the system.

In my opinion, AJ is the only one that Iowa needs to separate from. Anthony did nothing wrong to warrant dismissal. Now whether he stays if AJ isn't on the team is another question. Probably won't hear anything from Brands, since he can't comment on AJ since he isn't signed with Iowa.

Last edited:
Now that the fire has cooled a bit. How do we feel about the squad after the tourney? drake has to be right back in the thick of AA status. Two beautiful wins. Teske wins but against who? Tourney guy. Woods being Woods. Rathjen working to make a name for himself? His spot over VV? I’d prefer it as maybe he’s not afraid to shoot. Franek is the man here. Not sure #2 but he high AA. Caliendo is our dude here. PK either needs to bulk or be ready if something happens. 174 gapping hole. Not sure it’s best for Gabe to go true frogs or not but yes clearly best in the room and a AA candidate no question. 184 MAJOR hole. 197 love glaziers fight even if AJ don’t sign and kind of hope he don’t now. I was on board but too much negativity everywhere. Not sure it’s shining a spotlight on us that we want. I think Glaziers quality enough to get a 7/8place at nattys. HWT huge hole.

What do we see? 6 AA? Two finalists? Maybe one champ? Bartlett going to give woods fits again
125 is wide open. The champ will be whoever wins 4 coin-flip matches in a row. Ayala's in the running.

133: Teske with 5-4 win over #33 in the finals. Still has cement feet, gifts every opponent 3 points in the first minute. But it's gonna be Teske and not Schriever, who crapped the bed against #33 after beating #12 Rini 2 weeks ago. Honorable mention to Petersen with a win over Rini.

141: Solid win over #5 McNeil. I feared it would be closer.

149: Not crazy about any of our options here, despite Rathjen's win. He got beat by an unranked guy at Lindenwood, then acts like he won the Olympics at Soldier Salute. Beat Lovett, then you can flex and talk smack. Otherwise it just looks like your highest goal was simply to make the lineup, which is troubling. I continue to believe Ferrari is the better wrestler, but he looked out of shape. Not sure what's up with VV. A lot of potential in all three, but as usual, we have 3 fringe AAs in search of one finalist.

157: Franek is always tough, but a SV win over #18 is more concerning than impressive.

165: Welp, it's gonna be Caliendo. He looked great, and Kennedy didn't look bad either. Kennedy took the loss like a man. Curious to see if he goes up or sits.

174: Arnold is gonna be a great one, but he's gotta start scoring more than one takedown per match, and clean up the extracurriculars. And way too excited after beating #13 in OT, following a close win over an unranked guy with a losing record.

184: Pass

197: AJ looked like an out-of-shape Mack truck. So much horsepower, but no set-ups, crappy reaching shots, and little urgency. He beat Glazier twice, once in regulation and once in OT but still managed to lose by being a d*ck. That's going to be the story of his life, btw: pissing it away by being a d*ck. Glazier is solid, but not going to score any points at NCAAs. Let's see what Brands does.

285: Pass

Overall, some excellent wrestling. The tournament is improving. I was entertained.

Was this before the Glazier Ferrari match? What the **** are these reporters doing? None of them even ask about Ferrari's post match antics? Please tell me I'm missing an interview. If this wasn't asked by the reporters and addressed by Brands, that's egregious incompetence by both.
Not sure Brands can even discuss either AJ or Anthony because neither are officially on the team. The SID probably told reporters that before the questions could be asked.

In my opinion, AJ is the only one that Iowa needs to separate from. Anthony did nothing wrong to warrant dismissal. Now whether he stays if AJ isn't on the team is another question. Probably won't hear anything from Brands, since he can't comment on AJ since he isn't signed with Iowa.

AJ not being signed absolutely does not mean that Brands can't comment on it.

So Rathje pushing after the match is great, but AJ pushing after the match is not? All this after match pushing has to stop. It seems when one of our guys does it (ADS, Spencer, etc) It’s ok, but otherwise it’s bad. Let’s give the Ferrari’s a fair shake and not hang them over a post match pushing that Brands has encouraged for years.
It was the punch that got him DQ’ed. stop muddying the water with any other comparison.

So those who don't think like you are boot lickers. Interesting? And why does he have more very specific guidelines than anyone else on our team? Shouldn't they all be held to the same standard? Or are we biased and have separate standards for the ones we don't like?

Being a boot licker has nothing to do with my opinion.

And yes, he should have different guidelines due to his history. It’s ridiculous you are even asking that question. It has nothing to do with whether I like him or not. 🤦

I meant the jaw jacking and pushing/shoving, etc., that occurs at the end of some of the more aggressive tackling/hitting plays. I didn't see any fingers today though did some research and saw where an NFL QB was fined $12k and flagged for unsportsmanlike conduct (15 yards) for flipping off the opponent's sideline. No release from the team or suspension. I'm not sure the bird is considered so egregious though it's clearly very inappropriate and not the standard of excellence we expect from our athletes.

What’s the history of this player? First offense? Any other offenses? Look up Antonio Brown and let us know how he was handled. That’s the parallel.

And by the way, to be fair to all (including you), my guess is that yesterday won’t be a deal breaker at Iowa unless AJ continues to handle himself poorly in the aftermath.

Claiming AJ just pushed might be the most idiotic thing I’ve read on this board in the last 18 hours. Impressive stuff.

while i disagree with this sentiment, i do agree that he needs to be better prepared for these broadcasts. i caught about 5 min of the broadcast friday, where he asked Grace who's this McNeil that Grace kept talking about. Grace replied, he's a returning AA and rated around 5th or 6th. woods vs mcneil was the tournaments biggest potential national match up.
Ironside is beloved because he yells and screams and says stuff like Gol Darn and wizard... and because he's a relic of Gable's golden era.

However, he's not a great broadcaster and is severely lacking in knowledge of the national landscape.

He's no Gary Dolphin, but even close. But he could be better at what he does.

Not sure Brands can even discuss either AJ or Anthony because neither are officially on the team. The SID probably told reporters that before the questions could be asked.

Why wouldn't they be able to discuss the opponent of their wrestler throwing a slap at him and then flipping off the entire arena at their home tournament. And that opponent is a prospective recruit who just took an official visit. How is that an off limits topic just because he isn't on the team? If an ISU wrestler did that against Glazier, brands could comment on it. I don't get the excuse. In my opinion, it's Brand's responsibility to address what happened to reporters/the public.

while i disagree with this sentiment, i do agree that he needs to be better prepared for these broadcasts. i caught about 5 min of the broadcast friday, where he asked Grace who's this McNeil that Grace kept talking about. Grace replied, he's a returning AA and rated around 5th or 6th. woods vs mcneil was the tournaments biggest potential national match up.

This is damning. Shows a complete lack of interest in the job. Zero homework done.

I stand by my earlier statement. And I love Mark and buy stuff from his store all the time.

Not a big ****ing deal lol Spencer did this to Drake where was the outrage
Pushing a guy’s head down after the match was a fraction of the overall spectacle he put on last night. Gimme a break man! If that was all that happened, it wouldn’t have been as big of a deal. Spencer Lee demonstrated class his entire career at Iowa. Ferrari has a shady past and showed last night he has zero class and that is not even including him pushing Glazier’s head down. If you can’t see this, I can’t help you.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT