ADVERTISEMENT

1000% on the coaching

If Iowa does an honest analysis after the season, I think the fact that Iowa's offense has never been ranked higher than 87th (? I might be wrong on that but it's not good) during Brian Ferentz's tenure at OC needs to be dealt with.
What stat are you using for 87th? For scoring, that’s not even close to true, as Iowa has been significantly better than that twice.

I’m in the minority but I think Brian actually called a decent game.
- HB option pass overthrown to a wide open receiver in end zone
- Shudak missed FG
- bad penalties putting us behind the chains
- RBs (and WRs on reverse) missing open lanes
- defense gives up 2 big TD plays back to back
- after that we are chasing our tail. And that’s not how the offense is set up
The HB pass was crappy design to a player that had too many pads to even turn around.

While by all accounts Doyle deserved to be fired, I have to think the offensive line's struggles are partially tied to not having him around anymore.
But why? If the S&C program was struggling should affect the whole team. But the D-line is holding up fine. Thus, the O-line coach is the one to blame if anyone.

Reactions: hawkandroll
If this was anywhere but Iowa, the OC and line coach would be fired at the end of the season.
I’ll ignore the OC piece of this since it’s part of 2 of every 3 threads on this site. I know nothing about the OL coach outside of what I’ve read in the papers, but I do know that outside of a couple outstanding individuals, the 2017-2018 OL recruiting classes mostly washed out. The OL coach was new this season, so had nothing to do with that. He may just be working with limited talent. I’m not going to go fight anyone if he’s fired, but giving him a chance to establish himself and recruit might not be a horrendous idea.

Not a BF supporter but if we execute on that play it’s 7. Receiver was WIDE open
Which is why the situation has to be taken into account when calling plays. The ball being incomplete was unfortunate, but he made it far worse with his next play call. Brian doesn't appear to think plays in advance like I assume most successful OCs do.

I’m in the minority but I think Brian actually called a decent game.
- HB option pass overthrown to a wide open receiver in end zone
- Shudak missed FG
- bad penalties putting us behind the chains
- RBs (and WRs on reverse) missing open lanes
- defense gives up 2 big TD plays back to back
- after that we are chasing our tail. And that’s not how the offense is set up
I’m not even sure the HB option pass was overthrown. Pottebaum tripped crossing the goal line, if he’d have been able to just keep running, I think it would have been 6. Either way, though, that play was absolutely there.

Reactions: IAGuy
In reference to your first point, calling a trick play on 2nd and 5 when the offense was moving the ball, and the score was 0-0, was a poor call at that point. Brian then followed it up with a piss poor call on 3rd and 5 that lost yards and took the ball to the far right hash, making the angle for the field goal more difficult for a right-footed kicker. Brian plays checkers, not chess.
I disagree with calling the trick play a poor call. The TD was there for the taking. As for the FG, I’m sure Shudak would be the first to tell you that he makes that kick 99 times out of 100.

But why? If the S&C program was struggling should affect the whole team. But the D-line is holding up fine. Thus, the O-line coach is the one to blame if anyone.
The OL was weak this year because we had a couple classes straight that would have been 4th and 5th year guys that mostly washed out.

Which is why the situation has to be taken into account when calling plays. The ball being incomplete was unfortunate, but he made it far worse with his next play call. Brian doesn't appear to think plays in advance like I assume most successful OCs do.
I’m fine with this criticism, but it does not make the HB pass to Pottebaum a bad play call. He had Michigan off-balance and there was absolutely a TD there.

LMAO..... and without a doubt, some people believed him. The same people who always do.
Yeah driving it down the field on the # 1 ranked team 1st drive and getting into the red zone 3 other times is terrible gameplan...we have to have players make a play down there and they didnt. Handing the #1 team in the country 14 doesn't help either. Get a clue.

Yeah driving it down the field on the # 1 ranked team 1st drive and getting into the red zone 3 other times is terrible gameplan...we have to have players make a play down there and they didnt. Handing the #1 team in the country 14 doesn't help either. Get a clue.
lol one drive isn't a game plan. grow some neural networks.

Reactions: TRHawkeye145
What stat are you using for 87th? For scoring, that’s not even close to true, as Iowa has been significantly better than that twice.
Not sure. That's just the stat people have thrown around on other threads. I'm thinking overall. But whatever, they still haven't really been good.

Tks for proving u have no clue. Go buy an isu shirt and gtfo.
Shove yourself up your ass and into a singularity and go to sleep in your clown pajamas, while having wet dreams of Dan McCarney and Matty Campbell. I explained your confusion to you, and you got mad cuz you couldn't deny it. Just like the little girl you are.

lol like 3 makes all the difference. they needed to score a lot more than that. you probably don't even know what neural networks were before you googled them.
I’ve been working with AI since grad school in 2001, not that it’s relevant to this thread. I was just pointing out that the person you responded to talked about 3 trips to the red zone and you mocked them referring to 1 drive.

First Iowa possession - gets into the redzone, misses an open TD and then misses FG.
Third Iowa possession - gets to the Michigan 4 and then gets a FG
Second Iowa possession of 2nd half - gets to the Michigan 8 and fails on 4th down.

The first could have put Iowa up 7-0 or 3-0. The second trip to the red zone could have made it 14-7 with a TD (which could have made it 14-7 at halftime, a totally different game). The third trip could have made it 21-10 with a TD. The next Iowa possession was the blocked punt that started the collapse.

If Iowa converts any of those trips to the red zone into a TD, it changes the face of the game.

I’ve been working with AI since grad school in 2001, not that it’s relevant to this thread. I was just pointing out that the person you responded to talked about 3 trips to the red zone and you mocked them referring to 1 drive.

First Iowa possession - gets into the redzone, misses an open TD and then misses FG.
Second Iowa possession of 2nd half - gets to the Michigan 8 and fails on 4th down.

The first could have put Iowa up 7-0 or 3-0. The second trip to the red zone could have made it 14-7 with a TD (which could have made it 14-7 at halftime, a totally different game). The third trip could have made it 21-10 with a TD. The next Iowa possession was the blocked punt that started the collapse.

If Iowa converts any of those trips to the red zone into a TD, it changes the face of the game.
What do you want, a damn gold star? Good for you, but I was referring to a real neural network, as in learn how to form new ways to think and grasp things in your gray matter. You still don't have a damn clue. I don't even know what you're trying to argue. I haven't deviated from what I was originally stating, and that was explaining why ppl are sick of KF, but you've gone far off-topic.

Dude.... I mean this in the nicest way possible....but wtf? What game did you just watch tonight? It obviously wasn't the Big Championship game bc that was an absolute embarrassment and hawks were completely out-classed.

Sure I guess there were maybe 3 decent drives... but it resulted in 3 points.....3. Cool

It's ok to put down the kool-aid sometimes and realize this team/coaching staff has flaws and changes can be made. It's not just this game too

What do you want, a damn gold star? Good for you, but I was referring to a real neural network, as in learn how to form new ways to think and grasp things in your gray matter. You still don't have a damn clue. I don't even know what you're trying to argue. I haven't deviated from what I was originally stating, and that was explaining why ppl are sick of KF, but you've gone far off-topic.
I’ve done nothing but refer specifically to your points.

”One drive isn’t a game plan” - Iowa got into the red zone 3 times at points that could have changed the complexion of the game

”lol like 3 makes all the difference” - I went into the three trips specifically given the score at the time and how red zone conversions in those 3 specific trips absolutely could have changed the game.

You just want to point to 20 years of KF frustration generally, whether true or not, and be mad - which is fine, this loss hurt.

Reactions: longliveCS40

I don't disagree about possibly changing the game....but the RZ offense all year has been awful. It's not just this game. The offense can't score. It's so bad that hawks have to result to a qb sneak to even score...and that's assuming hawks make it inside the 5. Whether that is not trusting the normal play calling or oline or what

It's been such a damn struggle to score that even just being down by 2 scores the game was over. Hypotheticals are fun but its a constant theme all year....these are just dreams not based in reality. Or holding out hope. Or whatever you want to call it

I’ve done nothing but refer specifically to your points.

”One drive isn’t a game plan” - Iowa got into the red zone 3 times at points that could have changed the complexion of the game

”lol like 3 makes all the difference” - I went into the three trips specifically given the score at the time and how red zone conversions in those 3 specific trips absolutely could have changed the game.

You just want to point to 20 years of KF frustration generally, whether true or not, and be mad - which is fine, this loss hurt.
Yeah.... you keep going on about that for some reason. I told you why ppl were tired of KF, you asked me for examples, so I gave you them. If you're not a troll or a complete idiot, then you should be well aware of his repeated mistakes and can probably even think of specific times you've witnessed them, but you play dumb. And yes, I have been pointing to 21 years of KF frustration this whole time. Duh!!! I've tried to be very clear about that, but you keep trying to twist my words. If you were really in grad school, then your reading comprehension should be far better than what you're displaying.

I don't disagree about possibly changing the game....but the RZ offense all year has been awful. It's not just this game. The offense can't score. It's so bad that hawks have to result to a qb sneak to even score...and that's assuming hawks make it inside the 5. Whether that is not trusting the normal play calling or oline or what

It's been such a damn struggle to score that even just being down by 2 scores the game was over. Hypotheticals are fun but of its a constant theme all year....these are just dreams not based in reality. Or holding out hope. Or whatever you want to call it
My larger point is that I look at 2018’s offense, the late 2019 offense (running it up on USC, for example) and the 2020 offense, then this one. Is the coaching that much different or is it personnel? This was probably a bottom 5 KF OL going all the way back to 1999. The QB play was really weak (though impacted by the OL for sure). It’s hard for me to just say that if we have the same personnel, but the #1 most genius OC in the nation calling plays we’re suddenly a juggernaut.

I do not care one iota whether BF is the OC next year. KF runs the offense he wants to run and the OC works in the margins. If the OL and QB are not significantly better next year, Iowa will not have anything approaching the success they had this season.

Yeah.... you keep going on about that for some reason. I told you why ppl were tired of KF, you asked me for examples, so I gave you them. If you're not a troll or a complete idiot, then you should be well aware of his repeated mistakes and can probably even think of specific times you've witnessed them, but you play dumb. And yes, I have been pointing to 21 years of KF frustration this whole time. Duh!!! I've tried to be very clear about that, but you keep trying to twist my words. If you were really in grad school, then your reading comprehension should be far better than what you're displaying.
I keep going on about responding to your specific points In this thread. The general being tired of KF was a different thread. That was apparently a general beef that I read as being a criticism of this game. Fair enough. In this thread, I have done nothing but respond to your points directly, all of which were specific to this game.

I keep going on about responding to your specific points In this thread. The general being tired of KF was a different thread. That was apparently a general beef that I read as being a criticism of this game. Fair enough. In this thread, I have done nothing but respond to your points directly, all of which were specific to this game.
I had two tabs open and I got mixed up LMAO. You're right. About my post in this topic talking about the first drive, I was being a smartass and using hyperbole. I use hyperbole a lot. I was upset that our offense was shitty and didn't get into the RZ more, so I exaggerated by making it seem like it was a fluke. Now I see where you're coming from. I apologize for arguing with you. 😆

Reactions: hawkifann
I had two tabs open and I got mixed up LMAO. You're right. About my post in this topic talking about the first drive, I was being a smartass and using hyperbole. I use hyperbole a lot. I was upset that our offense was shitty and didn't get into the RZ more, so I exaggerated by making it seem like it was a fluke. Now I see where you're coming from. I apologize for arguing with you. 😆
No worries, this loss hurt and everyone takes it differently. I wasn’t even really aware I was responding to you in two threads until your last post, so I went back to check. Tonight sucked.

Reactions: BetterLuckNextTime
No worries, this loss hurt and everyone takes it differently. I wasn’t even really aware I was responding to you in two threads until your last post, so I went back to check. Tonight sucked.
Indeed. Looking back on the two-threaded mixed conversation, I just have to laugh lol. That's hilarious

Reactions: hawkifann
In amateur sports, it always is 100% on the coaching because they’re the ones getting paid and they are responsible for recruiting, development, schemes, play calling and getting their teams up.

This was one of the worst OL’s I can remember under KF. Not sure if one person is responsible for recruiting there but they need to get this figured out.

Reactions: TRHawkeye145
Agree on the OL comments. Everything begins there. Big holes running and QB time passing. Which if you are successful keeps the opponents defense off balance.

Kirk said today they had a good game plan........
Well if you look at the first half it did appear that way. Just didn’t execute. Probably a different game if they had. Michigan still wins but probably less than the spread.

Lol, waiting until the second series in the second half for Petras to be pulled was ridiculous considering the types of opportunities which he pissed down his leg. He didn't even throw our almost TD...
Ridiculous is thinking the outcome would be different no matter how you played the two QBs. Alternating plays, series, quarters or halves.

Reactions: David1979
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT