ADVERTISEMENT

141 next year ?

i don’t think vv was cutting any weight for 70kg and he is pretty short. listed at 5’6” on the roster

not sure if he could go 141 but seems like it could be a good fit if he can. hopefully getting that knee fixed helps him reach his potential because he could be really good in my opinion

So far block too big, Peterson to small, VV hurt/not sure can cut there. Can the hawks just get a guy suited for 141. No cutting off an arm or full feed just to get there.

I think kale competes and possibly wins the 133 spot next year. His match was Cullan was very close at the soldier salute. I would think he’d try his hand there assuming he doesn’t get bigger or we don’t pull in a transfer at 33/41
I think Kale does have a lot of potential but he also had surgery on his knee so we will have to see how that effects him.

Reactions: HawkFan1986
Is Schriever done?
After this year, Schriever has 1 year left, plus a redshirt. However, when he burned his redshirt in 2022 for a late season dual when we still had ADS, I remember the discourse being that he was the type of guy who wanted to do 4 years in college and no more than that, so he didn't feel the need to use his redshirt. This year is his 4th year in college, so who knows what his plans are.

Reactions: blcoach80
I think Kale does have a lot of potential but he also had surgery on his knee so we will have to see how that effects him.
I don't believe this is his first knee surgery either. If memory serves me right, he had one around 8th grade/freshman year.

LOL

Kale 133
Block 141

Unless we hit the portal, those will the starters.
I think the hawks see at least 1 portal guy next year, 33 may be that spot. So much unknown with block with his injury and where he could be at.

he has a year left, forgot about that.

The dude just can't stay healthy. And I expect Peterson to make that jump.
did you get a chance to watch the Estrada kid from Cali?? Did it change your mind on him at all? I thought he was a 133/141 but i cant rememebr

did you get a chance to watch the Estrada kid from Cali?? Did it change your mind on him at all? I thought he was a 133/141 but i cant rememebr

His coach came on here and said with the proper diet he could be a 141.

Mind hasn't really changed. He's a typical grinder with some deficiencies on the mat. BUT, he's damn athletic. So, it will be interesting to see how far he can develop. It's just really hard to be great at the lighter weights without be versed in scrambling and having some pretty elite mat skills. I hope he's a 149 honestly. I think Block is going to be fine at 141 (if his injury isn't that bad????)

Reactions: Hawkgma
I’ve never thought he looks small for 149. And he’s 5’9” so not that short either. More of a frame that could move up.
Block is taller than all of them, and was filling out last time I seen him months ago. He looked extremely young when joining us, think he still had plenty of puberty to go through. VV isn’t tall, but is stocky. Rathjen just looks soft, like he could easily go down if he could find the discipline. Also, the short muscular freshman coming in from California could be a 141 with some dietary discipline. Would be nice to bring in a qua125 with 2 years, like Woods did, so Drake can eat and lift more to add some muscle for 133 and feel more energetic. He looks very sucked down and sullen even when he wins.

Reactions: Nashville_Hawkeye
Block is taller than all of them, and was filling out last time I seen him months ago. He looked extremely young when joining us, think he still had plenty of puberty to go through. VV isn’t tall, but is stocky. Rathjen just looks soft, like he could easily go down if he could find the discipline. Also, the short muscular freshman coming in from California could be a 141 with some dietary discipline. Would be nice to bring in a qua125 with 2 years, like Woods did, so Drake can eat and lift more to add some muscle for 133 and feel more energetic. He looks very sucked down and sullen even when he wins.
Well he doesn’t have the best gas tank as a “soft” 149. So can’t imagine sucking down will make it any better. He’s been a pleasant surprise at 149 before being injured and a fringe AA ranked around 8th
Seems like beefing up and getting conditioned and healthy in the off season could prime him to be a bright spot next year. Not a fan of shrinking guys

Well he doesn’t have the best gas tank as a “soft” 149. So can’t imagine sucking down will make it any better. He’s been a pleasant surprise at 149 before being injured and a fringe AA ranked around 8th
Seems like beefing up and getting conditioned and healthy in the off season could prime him to be a bright spot next year. Not a fan of shrinking guys
We tried the 157 experiment in the past and he was too small. He tried going up a weight to low 150’s his senior year in high school, and was horsepowered in the finals by Riggins. With his history of alcohol abuse and traffic violations, it seems like discipline hasn’t been a big part of his time in college. That is why is said IF he can get disciplined, he looks like he has enough body fat to drop a weight. Could still lift, and actually be strong for his weight. He could take some lessons from his buddies in the Ferrari family on how to get shredded but not weak. I think Anthony making 149 and AJ making 197 is just as hard or harder than him making 141. I agree about not wanting to shrink everyone, but occasionally it makes sense. If Anthony ever joins the team, I think 157 would be better over an entire season. Cali might be able to make 157, but he is pretty ripped at 165. If MM and Haines switch next year, I think he matches up better with Haines.

We tried the 157 experiment in the past and he was too small. He tried going up a weight to low 150’s his senior year in high school, and was horsepowered in the finals by Riggins.

Things change and bodies change. This would all be 2+ years removed from next season.

A guy with his frame should have no issue adding 10ish lbs of good weight in one offseason, with even average level dedication to nutrition and training. Though there are some notable exceptions, this is one of the things we have struggled with for years, IMHO.

Reactions: el dub
Things change and bodies change. This would all be 2+ years removed from next season.

A guy with his frame should have no issue adding 10ish lbs of good weight in one offseason, with even average level dedication to nutrition and training. Though there are some notable exceptions, this is one of the things we have struggled with for years, IMHO.
I just think he looks average to small at 149, not someone you look at and say, I have no idea how he makes weight.

I just think he looks average to small at 149, not someone you look at and say, I have no idea how he makes weight.

I don't necessarily disagree. But "too small" a couple years ago doesn't have to mean too small next year.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT