ADVERTISEMENT

157 - 165 - 174 in 2024/2025

I don’t understand why people continue to overlook Hill at Hwt. I have a difficult time believing that if Kueter was better than Hill this year that Brands wouldn’t have wrestled him. Hill is going to fight for his position and considering he is a RS freshman, he has had a very impressive year.

You're right about Hill being impressive--he's improved a ton had has potential going forward. But Kueter is at a different, higher level. The redshirt was Kueter's call.

Josh Barr? Why would he not be 184 at PSU? There is an opening for him with them next year.

I doubt either Caliendo or Kennedy will be comfortable at 157. It's a real problem since Arnold has said repeatedly that 174 is his weight and he is a legitimate title contender at that weight, so you don't want to force him up, so one of Caliendo or Kennedy will have to suck down, sit, or portal. Caliendo beat out PK for the spot this year, so if he does that again, he will be the 165 and Gabe 174 (and Angelo is purportedly a 184 long term if not next year), which will force PK to really suck down to have a spot at Iowa. I think there is a decent chance he portals rather than either sucking or sitting. He's an AA caliber wrestler and all of the guys in front of him have as much or more eligibility left. I doubt he's going to want to be a room guy.
The year Frank molinaro made the Olympic team I believe he had an interview where he said he had to spend an offseason safely bringing himself down to the weight and then building his strength up. This is in regards to 157 Caliendo or kennedy.

To add to this, 157 Cobe would probably be top 10 next year if we needed him to step in.
184 - Brands would be AA too, and it seems like he's coming back now.
Regardless, these weights would all be really good with whoever starts.
149 - Rathjen top 12, or if Block beats him out, he's likely higher.
133/141 - Seems like we need a transfer at one or both of these.
Rearranging deck chairs. Get a new coach

Rearranging deck chairs. Get a new coach
That’s not changing what we have to work with next year. May lose some talent and get worse while new person tries to rebuild the team that he wants. Reminds me alittle of the Tom Davis basketball situation, but big decline in attendance did him in, and we have never consistently won as much since then.

You're right about Hill being impressive--he's improved a ton had has potential going forward. But Kueter is at a different, higher level. The redshirt was Kueter's call.
The fact that you are saying the red shirt was his call is kind of telling - in several ways.

I think our line up next year will be as followed. I'm going to assume Nelson is back, AJ and Anthony Ferrari are not on board(I'll believe it when I see them in a Hawkeye singlet actually competing). I'm also going to assume neither PK or Cali make 157.
125 Ayala
133 Schriever/Petersen
141 Block/Petersen
149 Rathjen/voinovich
157 Cobe Seibrecht
165 Caliendo/Kennedy
174 Arnold/Kennedy
184 Brands(Angelo RS)
197 Glazier
285 Hill/Kueter for postseason
Team 2nd place
Only switch for me would be Caliendo to 57. He would be a beast if it's not too much of a cut.

Reactions: tosal563
I believe Caliendo and Kennedy both certified at 157 this year. Caliendo is clearly better at 165 than Kennedy. I would think Pat would go 157 unless Caliendo can make the cut easily.

Gabe Arnold is the one guy I'm really looking forward to seeing next year.
Wrestling at the weight he is actually best suited for will be nice to see. Don't want to put too much in the way of expectations on him. But from what we've seen so far he looks like he could have "it".

That would be the worst thing that could happen to us is Brands coming back at 174 and potentially losing Gabe for four years!! I don’t believe Gabe came here to sit the bench. Not sure beats Brands beats him anyway.
I don’t think Gabe even wanted to redshirt much less sit behind someone while his eligibility is ticking away. I think he’s better than Nelson, but would be close with Nelson being a good defensive wrestler at 174.

2020: Redshirt
2021: Free Covid year
2022: Freshman
2023: Sophomore
2024: Junior

He has one more year of eligibility. He has said he plans to come back, but I guess that could change.
Kerk and Starocci both participated in senior day. Bartlett did not.

I personally think this extra covid year is a joke. As long as you get the opportunity to wrestle at 4 nationals should have been gods plenty.
Yeah, the 2020 year (when nationals were canceled) should have been the extra year. As it is now, the 2020 class only got 3 nationals, but the 2025 class will get 5. It doesn't seem right that way.

Kerk and Starocci both participated in senior day. Bartlett did not.
Bartlett definitely will be back. It will only be his 5th year in college. He was going to RS in 2021 but was eventually convinced to go at 149 as a true frosh since PSU had no one there and it was a free year anyway, so he will end up having 5 years of eligibility but no RS year, so his college career will not be abnormally long due to the free year. Kerk and Starocci both had a true RS year in 2020 and would be in their 6th years. My intuition is that Kerk will come back but Starocci won't, but we'll see.

Reactions: vhsalum
Yeah, the 2020 year (when nationals were canceled) should have been the extra year. As it is now, the 2020 class only got 3 nationals, but the 2025 class will get 5. It doesn't seem right that way.
The problem is, at least the way it was explained to me, the 2021 year was NOT a "replacement year" for 2020. The reason it was considered a "free year"was that, going in, they believed it could have been shut down in basically the same fashion as the year prior. So it was done to protect the athletes and not let the same thing happen again....

The problem is, at least the way it was explained to me, the 2021 year was NOT a "replacement year" for 2020. The reason it was considered a "free year"was that, going in, they believed it could have been shut down in basically the same fashion as the year prior. So it was done to protect the athletes and not let the same thing happen again....
Yeah, I get that, and also that 2021 was the free year since several major conferences didn't compete at all (Ivies being the big one for wrestling) and that the season didn't start until January so it was really a half season. Regardless, nationals are the big prize, so IMO, 2020 should have been the free year. It is what it is, though, and after next year, it will have run it's course (for everyone except AJ who is taking an extra year to pursue his Olympic dreams, LOL...).

Yeah, I get that, and also that 2021 was the free year since several major conferences didn't compete at all (Ivies being the big one for wrestling) and that the season didn't start until January so it was really a half season. Regardless, nationals are the big prize, so IMO, 2020 should have been the free year. It is what it is, though, and after next year, it will have run it's course (for everyone except AJ who is taking an extra year to pursue his Olympic dreams, LOL...).
I think Daton Fix still has a couple of years after this season. LOL

Almost everything works better with hindsight. There was just no way they were going to do that at the time, especially with the sheer panic schools approached Covid with for that nearly 2 year stretch. Trying to retroactively credit back the previous year, with serious concerns the subsequent year may end up the same, just wasn't a viable option at the time.

With that said, I do agree, now that we know how it all played out, the most fair course of action would have been to credit the 2020 season back to those that lost the post season...

157: will be Cali if everything goes according to plan
165: PK
174: Gabe maybe Brands comes back if he does he will be at 174 period.
184: Gabe/transfer
I'd be down with this but with Gabe in permanant marker at 174. It would be incredibly short sighted to even let Nelson challenge him for 174. If Nelson comes back his options should be to wrestle off at 84 or be a backup.

I'd be down with this but with Gabe in permanant marker at 174. It would be incredibly short sighted to even let Nelson challenge him for 174. If Nelson comes back his options should be to wrestle off at 84 or be a backup.
Agree about Nelson. He better start beefing up right now to take over 184 so Angelo can redshirt to properly grow into 184. I would have no problem with Angelo going as true freshman if 174 was open. He claim 165 wasn’t a bad cut this year. If we have someone even better than Zach come in at 197, he could cut to 184 and battle it out with Nelson. Gabe will be one of the most athletic upper weight guys we’ve had in a long time.

Spooner doesn’t tell me anything. BC supposedly himself calling for a red shirt tells me he’s not 100% in on football and that wrestling may in fact become a priority. Is that for sure - who knows?
I would love for him to end up all in on wrestling. We have a solid lineup shaping up next year. A couple of lower weight question marks that could need portal help. I think 125 and 57-Hwt will be right there with the best teams.

Bartlett definitely will be back. It will only be his 5th year in college. He was going to RS in 2021 but was eventually convinced to go at 149 as a true frosh since PSU had no one there and it was a free year anyway, so he will end up having 5 years of eligibility but no RS year, so his college career will not be abnormally long due to the free year. Kerk and Starocci both had a true RS year in 2020 and would be in their 6th years. My intuition is that Kerk will come back but Starocci won't, but we'll see.

basch said on his podcast bartlett may not be interested in using his final year. we’ll see but my guess is all 3 end up coming back

Reactions: Libertylover
Guys I said IF Nelson comes back it WILL be at 174. I love Nelson and his family, know them all pretty well but I don’t want it to cost us Gabe. Believe me there is a reason he is not with Carl and his kronies right now. Bringing Nelson back and asking him to go 184 would be very similar situation to what Carl did to him.
If Kueter would go all in on wrestling and the rest of the lineup holds to what I am pretty sure it will look than we would have a legit shot at dethroning Carl.

Guys I said IF Nelson comes back it WILL be at 174. I love Nelson and his family, know them all pretty well but I don’t want it to cost us Gabe. Believe me there is a reason he is not with Carl and his kronies right now. Bringing Nelson back and asking him to go 184 would be very similar situation to what Carl did to him.
If Kueter would go all in on wrestling and the rest of the lineup holds to what I am pretty sure it will look than we would have a legit shot at dethroning Carl.
Spoons -

Please tell us your line up thoughts for next year.

If PSU losses Kerk and Star that will help, if they lose Bartlet as well, I think they will be vulnerable. they have great back ups, but they are not NCAA champion type kids.

Spoons -

If PSU losses Kerk and Star that will help, if they lose Bartlet as well, I think they will be vulnerable. they have great back ups, but they are not NCAA champion type kids.
Sadly, that just isn't true. That room is DEEP with top 10 talent...

Spoons -

But Lilledahl, Sealey, Ryder, and the Mirasolas all are, and SVN will be back. Remember, PSU has the #1 recruiting class coming in. Plus, Kasak was 141 until SVN got hurt, so he could take Bartlett's spot.

125 Lilledahl
133 Davis/Nagao
141 Kasak
149 Van Ness
157 Haines
165 Mesenbrink
174 Barraclough
184 Barr
197 Cochran/Mirasola #1
HWT Mirasola #2

That's at least NQ at every weight with Lilledahl, SVN, Haines, & Mesenbrink as title contenders, and Davis/Nagao, Kasak, & Barraclough a good bet for AA with the others in the hunt for AA spots. 10 qualifiers, 7-8 AAs, and 4 title contenders. That's going to take a monumental effort to overcome.

Spoons -

What in the world? That lineup could blank Iowa if Kueter goes full time football and doesn't wrestle.

125: #1 seed at NCAAs/B1G champ or a 3x U17/U20 silver/gold medalist in Lilledahl
133: 1x AA
141: #2 seed/3rd placer or #7 seed at 149 at NCAAs
149: 3rd placer with wins over Parco (2x), Henson
157: 2nd placer/#1 seed at NCAAs
165: #2 seed, likely highest returning placer
174: Facundo or Zack Ryder
184: Barr
197: A high schooler who just beat multiple NCAA champs and AAs at the US Open.
285: Mirasola #2

Last edited:
But Lilledahl, Sealey, Ryder, and the Mirasolas all are, and SVN will be back. Remember, PSU has the #1 recruiting class coming in. Plus, Kasak was 141 until SVN got hurt, so he could take Bartlett's spot.

125 Lilledahl
133 Davis/Nagao
141 Kasak
149 Van Ness
157 Haines
165 Mesenbrink
174 Barracloug
184 Barr
197 Cochran/Mirasola #1
HWT Mirasola #2

That's at least NQ at every weight with Lilledahl, SVN, Haines, & Mesenbrink as title contenders, and Davis/Nagao, Kasak, & Barraclough a good bet for AA with the others in the hunt for AA spots. 10 qualifiers, 7-8 AAs, and 4 title contenders. That's going to take a monumental effort to overcome.

I understand that PSU is loaded with great back ups, but my point wasn't if they were going to contend again, I think we all see that they will, unfortunately, but whether or not they will be down a few notches.

Mirasola will not be Kerk and Barraclough certainly will not be Star.
Does either one of Davis or Nagao transfer, rather than ride the bench? Will Davis redshirt? Wishful thinking most likely. Maybe Nagao rethinks his transfer to PSU, seems like he has regressed this year under Cael. 18 - 4 last year 10 - 4 this year.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT