ADVERTISEMENT

Outstanding defense and he scored on great angles and reshots. Scored at Will from his feet. He really seems to have figured some things out and the motor obviously has always been there. Very excited to watch this kid develop. I don’t think the things that Abe does well will be able to hold up to what Nelson can do.

Beyond impressive. I don’t think it’s homerish to say that if he continues to wrestle like that he can be this years NCAA champ. Gonna take a helluva man to beat him and you’re going to have to go to very dark places to do it. Nelson’s development is absolutely unreal.

Beyond impressive. I don’t think it’s homerish to say that if he continues to wrestle like that he can be this years NCAA champ. Gonna take a helluva man to beat him and you’re going to have to go to very dark places to do it. Nelson’s development is absolutely unreal.
Not going there. Nelson looked great tonight, in 1 match, against a good opponent. Great start, and that's good enough for now. Rinse and repeat multiple times against different guys and styles and you might be onto something. ;)

giphy.gif

I just kept thinking he looked like a big Terry out there..... he’s big enough and he’s quick as hell
That reversal was big. He was quick twitch in every situation, mind and body, and was tough in spots where he needed to be. Never really let Venz get his hands on him in and put him in a bad spot. First Big Ten dual win was a dandy.

An impressive match, he looks better for the weight than last year. Nice quickness and explosion. I'm not gonna get the cart ahead of the horse in regard to his season potential but he looked very good. Venz is known to be a slow starter in seasons shape wise and has never been great from neutral. Nelson handled him in neutral, top and bottom though. Was more impressive than Abe's or before him Cash's win over Venz. Nelson has clearly put the work in.

Reactions: nwhawkincr
Just like basketball. If his dad wasn't on the staff he'd be on the bench.
Just kidding, love the kid and hard work....

Is now the time to go back and pull the threads saying NB was a poor recruit? He’ll never develop and always be a room guy?
This didn’t just happen, he worked his ass off. You have to attribute some of this to the strong team mentality we have.

I watched him and thought he look great. Just wondering tho, last year, didn't he start with a huge win and upset and they still ended up going with Abe? Or am I all wet on this?
Either way he dominated last night. He's an 184lber. Def not a huge one but as much work as he's done in the weightroom he'll be fine. He'll out quick most 184s and will be strong enough to horse the few that he can't. Now the very few that have both will be tough but he looked ready to me.

Sorry 23 so far; but I can't help myself. ;) BTW, I do like your input all the time.
If you're a Bo Nickal or a Spencer Lee you can get away it most of the time, the mortals however don't fare as well.

But if I need to explain the reasoning behind weight classes and why it matters in College Wrestling specifically, I can't help you or anybody else.

But you don't have to take my word for what happens when Wrestlers of similar ability Wrestle and there is a modest weight differential (i.e. one weight class).

You could call 2x National Champion and NCAA OW Jeff Prescott and get his opinion, and if you get a busy signal reach out to 3x National Champion Nate Carr and get his. IIRC the difference in size when Wrestling other individuals with similar hardware resulted in a Tech Fall and damn near a Tech Fall respectively.

Call me crazy, seems like size matters.
Good morning, Crazy.

Is now the time to go back and pull the threads saying NB was a poor recruit? He’ll never develop and always be a room guy?
This didn’t just happen, he worked his ass off. You have to attribute some of this to the strong team mentality we have.

Hmmmmm...I don’t remember this as a thing. He was a 3 time state champ at the 3A level and had some success nationally. With that, his bloodlines and potential high ceiling, when he was recruited I really only recall optimism.

he definitely was wanted bad by the board.. I may be wrong but he was a top 100 recruit with incredible upside

I said an Alex Meyer type career if that’s what you are referring to. As two being behind someone for a few years then being the starter for two years with AA potential. I’ll be very happy if I am wrong and he has a better career.

There is no such thing as a poor recruit that gets little to nothing in the way of scholarship money, which I have always Assumed with Nelson Brands (and still do).

That's a great recruit whether he ever saw the lineup or not, because even though he wasn't highly ranked initially (#70 ???), he gots skills (from his feet primarily) to press Starters and make them better in the process and a matter of time to tell how much better he gets because of that interaction.

He was good enough to get a DI scholarship elsewhere, but clearly that was never going to happen. The poor kid has been stuck in "no man's land" weight wise since he arrived, with top flight "ready to go from Day One" recruits in The Bull and Kemdawg. I'm sure he and Pop's both understood that when he signed up.

Anyway, I had always hoped from a sentiment/legacy standpoint he would get an opportunity to start for at least one year and hold his own, and maybe that time has arrived. Clearly he has put in the work.

Sorry 23 so far; but I can't help myself. ;) BTW, I do like your input all the time.
Good morning, Crazy.
My opinion on that hasn't changed however, and never will, and it certainly has nothing to do with Nelson Brands. I don't know where he sits size-wise, I would guess he's still leaning towards the bottom side of the weight (?). Assuming that is true, last night his other attributes carried the day, which of course is great.

Great wrestlers can overcome some of that size (if we had two Spencer Lee's, one would be forced to go up, and I'd like the chances of both to win most of the time, but only one will likely win ALL of the time, the one that fits the weight class - that's the difference, and the bonus points will be different too, you can take that to the bank). Of course there are not two Spencer Lee's, so our lineup consists of other mortals throughout it in a typical year. And when you're trying to maximize your Team points at NCAA's year in and year out (we haven't won a Team Title in a decade), you are by far better served by guys who fit the weight class, given the talent is fairly equal. The historical proof is irrefutable, and I didn't manufacture that proof, all I did was witness it. :)

Nelson was undersized and as of last year there were some of us thought he would be 165. His growth in the Weight room and hard work have been great.and hopefully he can continue to make strides in a very short season.

Reactions: 24 so far
I watched him and thought he look great. Just wondering tho, last year, didn't he start with a huge win and upset and they still ended up going with Abe? Or am I all wet on this?
Either way he dominated last night. He's an 184lber. Def not a huge one but as much work as he's done in the weightroom he'll be fine. He'll out quick most 184s and will be strong enough to horse the few that he can't. Now the very few that have both will be tough but he looked ready to me.

Last year he got to his opponents legs fairly easily, but couldn't finish. And, his scrambling and quickness came into play mostly warding off disaster. From what I saw last night, he's bigger and stronger. He can finish. And, he's using his quickness to counter, not to escape. Big strides.

Can’t help but think about how fun a packed Carver would’ve been for that match... : (

Oh man!!! Was so pumped up I forgot all about the fact that there was no crowd. Now I can't stop think about how awesome/wild/loud Carve would have been!!!

Reminds me of the time sitting in a sauna trying to drop last few ounces at regionals. Bunch of us in there when some kid from another team says. " All I can think about is floating down a river of Hawaiian Punch with my mouth open."

Well everyone is looking at him with death in their eyes. He is like what? I say, Thanks you SOB, now we all got it in our heads and every time I will ever enter a sauna again it will pop up in my head.

Never told this before because of that reason, but I believe saunas are outlawed now.

Reactions: Gobblin
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT