ADVERTISEMENT

NorthernHawkeye

HR Legend
Dec 23, 2007
So it looks like Easy Elsa is quite the player.

I was ok with her narration. Thought it was good. But watching episode 7 tonight and it looks like the series is focusing more and more on her and her "relations". Hard pass.

So it looks like Easy Elsa is quite the player.

I was ok with her narration. Thought it was good. But watching episode 7 tonight and it looks like the series is focusing more and more on her and her "relations". Hard pass.
yeah this episode was the first time I found myself really questioning where this was going. all the episodes up to this I thought were great. hopefully it rebounds

Reactions: WhiteSoxClone
She got over the first guy whom she wanted to marry quite quickly.

We thought it was ridiculous that she goes from a terrified scream during the tornado to making out with the guy. You don't start making out when confronted with sheer terror like that.

There were some anachronisms that bothered me.

For example her mom said something to the effect of that she was dreaming of "indoor plumbing". I'm pretty sure indoor plumbing wasn't a thing for most people in 1883. Maybe the very wealthy had it.

Another thing that bothered me was she compared something to a lion attacking a deer. In 1883 she would have no idea what it looks like to see a lion hunt. She would have never been to Africa and would not have seen it on video.

And I'm still annoyed by the complete lack of racism from pretty much everyone. It's 1883 and the mostly white society seems unconcerned that there is a black man wondering among them. And Tim McGraw's character fought for the confederacy, but he seems totally cool with hanging out with and fighting along side the black guy who walks around in a union army uniform.

We thought it was ridiculous that she goes from a terrified scream during the tornado to making out with the guy. You don't start making out when confronted with sheer terror like that.

For example her mom said something to the effect of that she was dreaming of "indoor plumbing". I'm pretty sure indoor plumbing wasn't a thing for most people in 1883. Maybe the very wealthy had it.

Another thing that bothered me was she compared something to a lion attacking a deer. In 1883 she would have no idea what it looks like to see a lion hunt. She would have never been to Africa and would not have seen it on video.

And I'm still annoyed by the complete lack of racism from pretty much everyone. It's 1883 and the mostly white society seems unconcerned that there is a black man wondering among them. And Tim McGraw's character fought for the confederacy, but he seems totally cool with hanging out with and fighting along side the black guy who walks around in a union army uniform.
Elsa in a tornado makeout session
Faith Hill telling cowboys to watch her kid as she rides off to join a gunfight with her husband and daughter (nothing like potentially leaving your kid without either parent or big sister on the wagon trail)
Taylor Sheridan finding a way to cast himself In another episode of one of his Tv shows with a terrible fake beard and a worse fake accent

these are my 3 wtf moments from episode 7 from what is otherwise still worth the hour to watch.

Faith Hill telling cowboys to watch her kid as she rides off to join a gunfight with her husband and daughter (nothing like potentially leaving your kid without either parent or big sister on the wagon trail)
Taylor Sheridan finding a way to cast himself In another episode of one of his Tv shows with a terrible fake beard and a worse fake accent

these are my 3 wtf moments from episode 7 from what is otherwise still worth the hour to watch.
I always got the feeling that Taylor Sheridan wasn’t playing a character casting himself as Travis in Yellowstone. Seems like he’s probably a monumental douchebag.

The concept (not the practical application) of indoor plumbing originated in the late 1500s and was well established by 1883.

What about the term "traffic Jam" because they used that a few episodes ago and I am not sure that was a thing back then. Perhaps it was
Early 1900s. A better quibble, although both the concepts in play in the term were well established by 1883. Hoosier's lion attacking a deer is good too.

The tornado makeout session was a bit of a head scratcher. I was also impressed by how quickly the storm passed. I get that it’s often clear skies once a storm rolls through. But when everyone stood up after the tornado passed there wasn’t a cloud in the sky. Did they all lay on the ground for two hours or something?

What about the term "traffic Jam" because they used that a few episodes ago and I am not sure that was a thing back then. Perhaps it was
Had to look it up.

"Traffic jam" showed up in print just after 1900 replacing the earlier "traffic block".

And, ftr, Jim Courtright was dead by 40 and wasn't the sheriff of Fort Worth in 1883. But still loved seeing Billy Bob playing the part.

Reactions: CarolinaHawkeye
The concept (not the practical application) of indoor plumbing originated in the late 1500s and was well established by 1883.

It probably pre-dates that. Wealthy Romans used to have it.

But she's out there roughing it in the great plains in a wagon train and she's dreaming of indoor plumbing which is something she likely never experienced. It was only something the wealthy had.

It would be like if we were out roughing it in the wilderness and I told you I was dreaming of laying out on a yacht when you know for the fact that I'm too poor to own a yacht.

But she's out there roughing it in the great plains in a wagon train and she's dreaming of indoor plumbing which is something she likely never experienced. It was only something the wealthy had.

It would be like if we were out roughing it in the wilderness and I told you I was dreaming of laying out on a yacht when you know for the fact that I'm too poor to own a yacht.
So people didn't dream about things they couldn't afford in 1883? I find that difficult to believe. But your lion comment was spot on. No way she could depict that so vividly. I found the scene from Hell on Wheels where the Star Trek guy commented on history not looking kindly on the lion, being written by the zebra for the zebra, to be similarly odd.

Then I sat back and allowed myself to be entertained and enjoyed the series.

Elsa moving on so quickly and the weird tornado make out session followed by calling the tornado "beautiful" is all just beyond weird. Elsa sure seems to fall in love quickly.

I also agree that the lack of any racism in a show set in 1883 is weird, both towards Thomas and towards the Comanche.

She was at least familiar with the concept because it came up in one of the first episodes. When she and the family met up with James at the hotel in Ft. Worth, James hauled 40 gallons of hot water up the stairs so they could take a bath. I believe there was some conversation about indoor plumbing in the context that they had heard of it but never experienced it.

Did not read thread.

Are there boobies in this show? Asking for a friend.
Not enough to make it worth watching if the only reason you’re watching is boobies. We saw boobies from a distance when they were checking the German immigrants for smallpox. And the gypsy woman who has become involved with Thomas showed full dorsal nudity. But that’s about it so far.

So people didn't dream about things they couldn't afford in 1883? I find that difficult to believe. But your lion comment was spot on. No way she could depict that so vividly. I found the scene from Hell on Wheels where the Star Trek guy commented on history not looking kindly on the lion, being written by the zebra for the zebra, to be similarly odd.

Then I sat back and allowed myself to be entertained and enjoyed the series.

It seems like an odd comment when they are out there roughing it. This is sort of a conversation where you start thinking about the things you took for granted before . . . not something new.

It seems like an odd comment when they are out there roughing it. This is sort of a conversation where you start thinking about the things you took for granted before . . . not something new.
I think it was just a polite way of telling her daughter she needed to take a piss.

Thanks, they used it about 3 episodes ago the first time they crossed a river. When he said it I immediately paused the TV and told my wife I am not sure that was a thing back then. She hates it when I pick apart things in a show.

That’s not a worthy nitpick. Only very rarely does a historical show use actual language from the era, there are references and whole sentences that would not make sense. It’s simply a dramatic device to use modern language so that the viewer understands what is going on, just like having a show set in France or China but everyone speaks perfect modern English.

The only show that made perfect use of actual historical language was Vikings when for part of the show to demonstrate the language barrier the Vikings faced in England was to have (for a short time) the English characters speak in perfect Middle English. Middle English is less understandable to modern English speakers than Modern German, you get maybe one word out of ten.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mountain Man Hawk
Elsa moving on so quickly and the weird tornado make out session followed by calling the tornado "beautiful" is all just beyond weird. Elsa sure seems to fall in love quickly.

I also agree that the lack of any racism in a show set in 1883 is weird, both towards Thomas and towards the Comanche.
How do we know she is moving so quickly? Each episode doesn't count as one day. The thing that bothers me most is the perfect teeth. Everyone has perfect teeth. And the Gypsies, they are worthless.

The tornado makeout session was a bit of a head scratcher. I was also impressed by how quickly the storm passed. I get that it’s often clear skies once a storm rolls through. But when everyone stood up after the tornado passed there wasn’t a cloud in the sky. Did they all lay on the ground for two hours or something?
And not one of them was wet and the grass/ground was dry. But, whatever... still a good show.

The lion reference could be referring to a mountain lion (aka cougar, puma)
This might be plausible. If it were referring to an African lion she probably would have mentioned a zebra or something other than a deer.

How do we know she is moving so quickly? Each episode doesn't count as one day. The thing that bothers me most is the perfect teeth. Everyone has perfect teeth. And the Gypsies, they are worthless.
Lol agree on the teeth. But the time thing is measured by McGraws beard growth!

I found it interesting that Taylor Sheridan made his appearance in the middle of nowhere.

How do we know she is moving so quickly? Each episode doesn't count as one day.

Not that much time can have elapsed. They've been talking about winter since episode 1, including references to getting a late start. Winter still is not here. On top of that, they just got hit by a tornado, which might indicate June / July timeframe in Oklahoma and Kansas. I know that's not super reliable, but I also feel comfortable that we're talking more likely weeks than months
since Ennis died
. Maybe I'm wrong and they'll get hit by a snow storm next week.

In the matter of weeks Elsa falls in love, has sex with the guy outdoors and within the camp. According to the mom, the entire camp could hear them. Then she loses him and is devastated to the point of contemplating suicide. Then right after that she starts flirting with the new ranch hand that shows up (A very quick recovery). Then right after that, she spots a new man, starts flirting, and then makes out with him as a tornado hovers overhead. She's well on her way to being the camp skank.

Beth is definitely the spawn of Elsa.

Reactions: Mountain Man Hawk
That’s not a worthy nitpick. Only very rarely does historical show uses actual language from the era, there are references and whole sentences that would not make sense. It’s simply a dramatic device to use modern language so that the viewer understands what is going on, just like having a show set in France or China but everyone speaks perfect modern English.

The only show that made perfect use of actual historical language was Vikings when for part of the show to demonstrate the language barrier the Vikings faced in England was to have (for a short time) the English characters speak in perfect Middle English. Middle English is less understandable to modern English speakers than Modern German, you get maybe one word out of ten.

My English teacher in high school would stalk the classroom reciting Canterbury Tales in Middle English. Then we "got" to do it. She carried her gavel (she was the debate team sponsor) and she'd whack you with it if you mispronounced something.

FTR, "victuals" is pronounced "vittles". Still remember that after nearly fifty years so I guess her teaching methods worked. :)

In the matter of weeks Elsa falls in love, has sex with the guy outdoors and within the camp. According to the mom, the entire camp could hear them. Then she loses him and is devastated to the point of contemplating suicide. Then right after that she starts flirting with the new ranch hand that shows up (A very quick recovery). Then right after that, she spots a new man, starts flirting, and then makes out with him as a tornado hovers overhead. She's well on her way to being the camp skank.

Beth is definitely the spawn of Elsa.

Lol this is such a northern post.

Reactions: Dr. Spaceman
Paramount has announced that 1883 has been renewed for a second season and they also announced another Yellowstone spinoff entitled 1932, which will focus on the turbulent period of prohibition, westward expansion, and the Great Depression.

That's what we thought about Steve, Ed, Cookie.

Yellowstone.jpg

mayor-of-kingstown-ed.jpg

scrnli_1_28_2022_4-44-26-PM.jpg

It appears that we won't have to endure story lines about Elsa's love life much longer.

Thank god. I was hoping they would kill her off tonight. Looks like we have to wait another week
If I’m not mistaken, next week is the season finale. I wouldn’t be surprised if Sheridan drags it out and turns it into a cliff hanger and makes us wait until season 2 to learn her fate.

Reactions: Hoosierhawkeye
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT