ADVERTISEMENT

$1Million prize for the best idea...

22*43*51

HR Legend
Nov 23, 2008
...to stop violence in Chicago.

$1 million for best idea to combat youth violence

CHICAGO - One million dollars is being offered for the best idea to combat youth violence in Chicago.

The University of Chicago crime lab is working with the MacArthur Foundation and Get In Chicago to find solutions for the complex issue.

Chicago has a higher percentage of young homicide victims than the national average.

The deadline for letters of interest are due on Monday.

The awards will be announced in May and could be up and running in Chicago by this summer.

What do you got HROT?

My suggestion would be to hire Darren Wilson to "defend" himself. Where's my million?

Originally posted by SWIowahawks:
Originally posted by fredjr82:
My suggestion would be to hire Darren Wilson to "defend" himself. Â Where's my million?
It said best idea. Not worst.
Posted from Rivals Mobile
Opinions are like SWIowahawks. Everyone has one.
wink.r191677.gif

My suggestion would be to hire Darren Wilson to "defend" himself. Where's my million?
The five most popular Urban Legends still believed to be true today.

5. Walt Disney was cryogenically frozen.

4. There are Alligators in NYC sewers.

3. Snuff Films.

2. Daddy Long-Legs are poisonous.

1. "Hands Up! Don't Shoot!"

Use RICO laws. You're in a gang, you go to jail. Bring in national guard to help round them up if needed. First conviction is 6 months in jail. 2nd is 5 years, third is 20 years. Quit waiting for them to get caught with drugs or a gun to charge them and make it illegal to be part of a known criminal enterprise. The cops know who these guys are.
Something tells me they're looking for a more "progressive" solution though.

Originally posted by Mattski:
Use RICO laws. You're in a gang, you go to jail. Bring in national guard to help round them up if needed. First conviction is 6 months in jail. 2nd is 5 years, third is 20 years. Quit waiting for them to get caught with drugs or a gun to charge them and make it illegal to be part of a known criminal enterprise. The cops know who these guys are.

I think the idea has to be financially plausable.

Hire Glozell to do PSA's.

Legalize reefer, it's the answer to everything per the lunatics on this board.

Change the name of the City to Shitcago and start over if it doesn't work at the cities name will be appropriate.

The problem actually is black WOMEN not having any self-respect. Don't blame black men for getting the milk without having to ever buy a cow.

Originally posted by ANYCHawk:

And our country has gone significantly toward retaliation and vengeance and away from the rehabilitative forms of punishment since the 70s, and our crime hasn't gotten significantly better.

In order for deterrence to work, you have to have a very high chance of being caught or a very high punishment when caught, or some combination of both. And it's not like criminals are thinking "what's the penalty for this" when doing something.

Some day we'll get back to a society that wants to treat and rehabilitate it's normal offenders and incapacitate the worst offenders and I'll be happy.

I hope there are some creative answers to this problem. Blaming it on black people is lazy. Blaming it on Chicago culture is lazy. I really think this could bring about some interesting shifts in how we police and punish our youth. At least I hope it will.

Build a wall around the hole and let the boyz have at it, rinse and repeat until they are no more. Then start over.

Originally posted by Arbitr8:
Build a wall around the hole and let the boyz have at it, rinse and repeat until they are no more. Then start over.
escape-from-new-york-01-kurt_russell-adrienne_barbeau.jpg

Originally posted by Arbitr8:
Please clarify.

What hole? Chicago? The west side? The south side?

Who are the boyz that we want no more of? All Chicagoans? Gang members? Black people?

Thanks in advance.

Originally posted by 22*43*51:
The five most popular Urban Legends still believed to be true today.

5. Walt Disney was cryogenically frozen.

4. There are Alligators in NYC sewers.

3. Snuff Films.

2. Daddy Long-Legs are poisonous.

1. "Hands Up! Don't Shoot!"
All spiders are venomous. There are two types of daddy long legs. One is not a spider but may actually be poisonous (to animals that eat it). The other is a spider and therefore most certainly venomous.

Reactions: tarheelbybirth
I can't believe opening up more Section 8 housing in Iowa City was not mentioned yet.

Originally posted by slieb85:

Originally posted by ANYCHawk:

And our country has gone significantly toward retaliation and vengeance and away from the rehabilitative forms of punishment since the 70s, and our crime hasn't gotten significantly better.

In order for deterrence to work, you have to have a very high chance of being caught or a very high punishment when caught, or some combination of both. And it's not like criminals are thinking "what's the penalty for this" when doing something.

Some day we'll get back to a society that wants to treat and rehabilitate it's normal offenders and incapacitate the worst offenders and I'll be happy.

I hope there are some creative answers to this problem. Blaming it on black people is lazy. Blaming it on Chicago culture is lazy. I really think this could bring about some interesting shifts in how we police and punish our youth. At least I hope it will.
With all due respect... good grief what a load of BS. The culture and structure of society is broken in these communities/criminals and is beyond repair. We can push it from neighborhood to neighborhood like Daily did but it's not getting fixed. Spend some honest time in and around these communities (I have and have close friends and family that still do) and you'll realize 99% can't be rehabilitated. Really sad and sickening at the same time. The only fix is to make the punishment so severe for participating in any type of gang activity so severe more choose to avoid it. Load the neighborhoods with LE and fill the jails until there are none left.

Deannex the south side and rename it Not Chicago and then the city of Chicago will have solved a good portion of their crime.

Give all gang members an assault rifle, put them in a ring, split the $1M 50/50 with the last one standing.

Mandate every girl to have an IUD put in when they turn 12 and only allow them to have it taken out when they choose to as a legal adult.

It's fvcked up but if that were mandatory our country would improve by leaps and bounds within 50 years.

Mandate every girl to have an IUD put in when they turn 12 and only allow them to have it taken out when they choose to as a legal adult.

It's fvcked up but if that were mandatory our country would improve by leaps and bounds within 50 years.

How 'bout mandatory vasectomies for boys at age 12? Or, if/when the male birth control pill/cream becomes available, they have to take that?

How 'bout mandatory vasectomies for boys at age 12? Or, if/when the male birth control pill/cream becomes available, they have to take that?
IUD works better as you can't rely on people to consistently take birth control pills. If vasectomies were 100% reversible I wouldn't be against it, although the implant for girls is a million times cheaper and easier.

Basically, if you can drive down the number of single parents raising children crime numbers plummet. It's science.

IUD works better as you can't rely on people to consistently take birth control pills. If vasectomies were 100% reversible I wouldn't be against it, although the implant for girls is a million times cheaper and easier.

Basically, if you can drive down the number of single parents raising children crime numbers plummet. It's science.

An IUD is $1000 (at least that's about what insurance is charged. They also move (there's a picture out there that shows an IUD in a placenta). They're super great, don't get me wrong, but some responsibility needs to lie with the males too.

BTW, I've used that argument about not relying on people to consistently take birth control pills on here...I was summarily dismissed.

I've proposed an all-encompassing sex ed program, nationwide, that covers all sorts of birth control options, consent, bodily autonomy, healthy relationships, signs of abuse, etc...righties always shut it down because abstinence only (which doesn't work).

An IUD is $1000 (at least that's about what insurance is charged. They also move (there's a picture out there that shows an IUD in a placenta). They're super great, don't get me wrong, but some responsibility needs to lie with the males too.

BTW, I've used that argument about not relying on people to consistently take birth control pills on here...I was summarily dismissed.

I've proposed an all-encompassing sex ed program, nationwide, that covers all sorts of birth control options, consent, bodily autonomy, healthy relationships, signs of abuse, etc...righties always shut it down because abstinence only (which doesn't work).

I got all the sex ed I needed from Cinemax.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT