ADVERTISEMENT

#2 recruiting class in the nation..

ISU had lots of $$$ to throw at recruits this year. Unless you're a PSU/tOSU, it's not unusual to have random schools have a big recruiting year every 4-5 years. Gophers have done it and so have the Hawks.

But I'm not understanding all this hoopla surrounding Dresser. He's been there for 5-6 years and it takes THIS long to have a good class?

We'll know in 2-3 years how this ends up. Unless the CRTC massively upgrades their roster... who are these elite recruits going to work out with to improve at the college level?

This is probably Dresser's last chance to chase a title. He's not a young man and neither Metcalf not DSJ have shown much to date.

Hopefully ISU vs Iowa becomes competitive in a few years because the domination by Iowa is getting a bit boring.

ISU had lots of $$$ to throw at recruits this year. Unless you're a PSU/tOSU, it's not unusual to have random schools have a big recruiting year every 4-5 years. Gophers have done it and so have the Hawks.

But I'm not understanding all this hoopla surrounding Dresser. He's been there for 5-6 years and it takes THIS long to have a good class?

We'll know in 2-3 years how this ends up. Unless the CRTC massively upgrades their roster... who are these elite recruits going to work out with to improve at the college level?

This is probably Dresser's last chance to chase a title. He's not a young man and neither Metcalf not DSJ have shown much to date.

Hopefully ISU vs Iowa becomes competitive in a few years because the domination by Iowa is getting a bit boring.
My memory isn't always the best, but didn't Iowa State have a pretty highly ranked class a few years ago?

Reactions: DoubtFireShag

I’m more interested in seeing Iowa become consistently competitive with PSU than ISU climbing the ranks.

I’m more interested in seeing Iowa become consistently competitive with PSU than ISU climbing the ranks.
Likewise, but I'm just going off the Clone fans thinking the match in Ames after this year's dual in IC is going to be a tossup. Carr's senior year?

My memory isn't always the best, but didn't Iowa State have a pretty highly ranked class a few years ago?
If they did, I don't know who those guys would be? Outside of Carr and the Cuban gentleman, no one has done shit... if they're even still in the program.

The attrition and lack of development is astounding. Highly ranked high school recruits should be a factor right off the bat.

Like I said earlier... these kids coming in are better than they've recruited previously, let's see the results

Reactions: sdvike
Iowa is spending all their time, energy, and money in 2023. 2022 was a depth filler class to replenish the room after all the guys left this year.
That makes absolutely zero sense. In any sport that I follow, when you know you’re going to have a bunch of people leave, that’s when you have the easiest time bringing in big guns to replace them.

If Iowa can’t even out recruit Iowa State year in and year out, no chance to be competitive with the Penn State‘s of the world. They not only dominate their state in recruiting, but the entire region, and cherry pick nationally.

just doesn’t make any sense to me how Iowa State could’ve done this well and absolutely trounced the Hawkeyes in recruiting.

unless there’s something that I don’t know about and something people don’t wanna talk about.

That makes absolutely zero sense. In any sport that I follow, when you know you’re going to have a bunch of people leave, that’s when you have the easiest time bringing in big guns to replace them.

If Iowa can’t even out recruit Iowa State year in and year out, no chance to be competitive with the Penn State‘s of the world. They not only dominate their state in recruiting, but the entire region, and cherry pick nationally.

just doesn’t make any sense to me how Iowa State could’ve done this well and absolutely trounced the Hawkeyes in recruiting.

unless there’s something that I don’t know about and something people don’t wanna talk about.
Your trolling needs work.

Be Better.

Tell me you have no idea what you’re talking about without telling me you have no idea what you’re talking about.

If they did, I don't know who those guys would be? Outside of Carr and the Cuban gentleman, no one has done shit... if they're even still in the program.

The attrition and lack of development is astounding. Highly ranked high school recruits should be a factor right off the bat.

Like I said earlier... these kids coming in are better than they've recruited previously, let's see the results
Your last line was my exact thought when I first seen this story. ISU did not do well with studs like Gomez recently so we will see. I hope they can turn into a top 5 and become relevant again because we wrestle them every year.

Interesting. Someone brings up facts. Fanatics and apologists choose to ignore facts, and try and fail to spin it as a positive, and then shoot the messenger. Sounds like a rabid group of cultists attending rallies promoting insurrection and coup d’etats.

Focus on the facts.

Iowas class is 15. ISUs is 2. Unacceptable for any program that hopes to contend for anything.

Interesting. Someone brings up facts. Fanatics and apologists choose to ignore facts, and try and fail to spin it as a positive, and then shoot the messenger. Sounds like a rabid group of cultists attending rallies promoting insurrection and coup d’etats.

Focus on the facts.

Iowas class is 15. ISUs is 2. Unacceptable for any program that hopes to contend for anything.
Fact is Hawks and PSU have split the last 2 years . Hawks were National Champs year before last and 3rd this last year. What do you mean by contend for anything?

• Haha
Reactions: csoult and NoleATL

Focus on the facts.

Me thinks you don’t follow wrestling 😂

Focus on the facts.

How about you go ahead and revisit this in 6 years and let me know how many times the Clowns outplace the Hawks at NCAA's throughout that time frame?

Thanks in advance.

Whaa! Curse you, Willie…

Should we stomp him and and hang him or hang him and THEN stomp him?

a58f796d-febb-458c-a496-480877ef839d_text.gif

Focus on the facts.

you DO realize penn state's class ranking was #22, right?

Iowa should have a minimum of 8 (preferably more) top 20 overall recruits on the roster at all times and at least 4 (preferably more) of them should be top 10 overall. Next year we have Lee, Cass, Warner, Kennedy and Ayala. Woods can count as a top 20 based on work experience. That leaves us 2 guys short of the minimum at 6 and Ayala will be in RS so only 5 in the lineup. The year after we lose Lee and Warner. Add Jesuroga, Kueter and Arnold and we are at 7 for 1 year but 3 will be in redshirt so only 4 in the lineup. The next year we lose Cass and Woods. Now down to 5 overall with 4 to 5 in the lineup. We won't be in the running for team titles until we can meet this criteria. In 2020 and 2021 we had 7 and all were in the lineup. In 2022 we technically had 8 total but 7 in the lineup with Lee out and Ayala, Eierman, Kem and Cass all hurt.

Iowa should have a minimum of 8 (preferably more) top 20 overall recruits on the roster at all times and at least 4 (preferably more) of them should be top 10 overall. Next year we have Lee, Cass, Warner, Kennedy and Ayala. Woods can count as a top 20 based on work experience. That leaves us 2 guys short of the minimum at 6 and Ayala will be in RS so only 5 in the lineup. The year after we lose Lee and Warner. Add Jesuroga, Kueter and Arnold and we are at 7 for 1 year but 3 will be in redshirt so only 4 in the lineup. The next year we lose Cass and Woods. Now down to 5 overall with 4 to 5 in the lineup. We won't be in the running for team titles until we can meet this criteria. In 2020 and 2021 we had 7 and all were in the lineup. In 2022 we technically had 8 total but 7 in the lineup with Lee out and Ayala, Eierman, Kem and Cass all hurt.
Chill dude...it's all good..👍

• Haha
Reactions: vhsalum
Sounds right.

Yawn. Haines by himself is worth more NCAA points than many of the classes ranked higher and that's what matters. I would have them at 8-10 just with him.

Both of these are ABSOLUTELY the logic and “recipe” when it comes to recruiting to even try to CONSiSTENTLY hang with PSU, let alone beat them. The problem is, PSU is already doing that and more. tOSU has been recruiting like that for about the past 5 or 6 years as well. That leaves a VERY SMALL amount of room to snag top 20, let alone top 10 guys that fill specific needs.

Even when PSU is ranked “low” in a recruiting class, they almost certainly landed 1 top 10 recruit that fills a specific need and already have nearly all of the other 9 weights filled with a top 10ish guy. So, even though it gets ranked low by Willie, it is about as good of a class for PSU specifically as it can get. That is truly the #1 component to why they win so much. This isn’t to say they don’t do a great job developing and juggling all the necessary components to be so good, because they absolutely do. But, when you are making a meal it is a lot easier to make it fantastic when you are using certified Wagyu filets vs Meijer brand.

With that said, PSU and tOSU make it very hard for Iowa to recruit that high that consistently. Between both, they almost certainly get a couple of the top need guys for Iowa most years. Iowa still then needs to contend with Cornell, Michigan, ASU, OkState and NC State who all seem to snag at least one top 15ish guy per season. Even after that, you still have the rest of the B1G to contend with and the outliers who will connect with coaches like Troy Nickerson, Coleman Scott or even Dresser/Metcalf this past season.

Simply put, Iowa has ZERO margin for error to recruit CONSISTENTLY at that level. In my opinion, they need that new facility already built and ready to use TODAY. On top of that, they need an NIL plan already in place to “sell” to recruits. With that, they need to be willing to recruit someone whose style may not fit. As I have often said, Iowa’s current style nearly across the board relies almost exclusively off inside ties. If their opponents can avoid these positions, most of the Iowa guys almost look completely lost. Finding a top guy or 2 that can wrestle from space and cultivating that is CRUCIAL for Iowa to stay near the very top!

Lastly, I don’t think Iowa can consistently recruit at the level you ask for. Everything above, and the track record under Brands, simply puts too many things in the way to get there. But, they have drastically improved over the past few years in that area, with Kemerer being the initial catalyst. If they can keep up with their recent numbers you listed, I think they can pull out a championship every 4 to 5 year cycle, but I just can’t see them consistently challenging PSU every year and they will still probably have their hands full with tOSU most seasons as well.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT