ADVERTISEMENT

2013 Class Attrition Getting Out Of Hand?

iowalaw

All-Conference
Jan 20, 2015
Scottsdale
Our 2013 recruiting class was rated #55 in the country and nearly last in the Big 10. Even the staff would admit that it wasn't up to Iowa standards. Low star ratings are not always the end of the world, as we are a "developmental program."

What is VERY troubling about the 2013 class is that 60% of this low ranked class are no longer with the program, including the cream of crop. That is something that cannot be sustained at a program like Iowa, where depth is something we don't have the luxury of having:

Reggie Spearman - the jewel of the class. Chicago stud. Illinois State.
Derrick Willies - spring game legend, 6'4 WR with hops. Left because didn't think treated fairly. Texas Tech.
Solomon Warfield - best offers in the class, including MSU, ASU, Penn State. Gone before he saw the field.
John Kenny - highly touted LB. Left because didn't think treated fairly. Arizona LB.
Nic Shimonek - Davis loved this gun slinging QB out of Texas. Left during the Rudock debacle. Texas Tech.
Colin Goebel - highest star rating in class, offers from Miami, Mississippi, WVU. Best OL prospect. Cal Poly.
Anjeus Jones - 6'3 WR from Dallas with 4.4 speed. Picked us over Texas Tech.
Omar Truit - One of the top recruits out of D.C., with offers from Syracuse and Maryland. Got DUI.
Andre Harris - low ranked recruit. Never cracked the 2 deeps and just announced his transfer.
Malik Rucker - Didn't play much and transferred after his second year. Western Michigan
Brant Gressel - Got a DUI. Don't know much about the guy.

Unfortunately, there are 2 themes with these kids: they are mostly the higher touted kids in the class, and they are the out of staters in the class. One can only imagine the depth we would have right now with these guys still on the roster. Something needs to be done to retain the out of state kids. Some program that entwines them with the Iowa culture/community/team atmosphere.

Reactions: gageboy
How was Kenny not "treated fairly"? He agreed to the switch to fullback, correct? Then tried to play linebacker again....and transferred..

Jones was committed to CSU..He took officials to Iowa,CSU, and New Mexico State. He did not choose Iowa over Texas Tech.

Shimonek walked on at Texas Tech.

Didn't Spearman get the boot from ILL State?

Our 2013 recruiting class was rated #55 in the country and nearly last in the Big 10. Even the staff would admit that it wasn't up to Iowa standards. Low star ratings are not always the end of the world, as we are a "developmental program."

What is VERY troubling about the 2013 class is that 60% of this low ranked class are no longer with the program, including the cream of crop. That is something that cannot be sustained at a program like Iowa, where depth is something we don't have the luxury of having:

Derrick Willies - spring game legend, 6'4 WR with hops. Left because didn't think treated fairly. Texas Tech.
Solomon Warfield - best offers in the class, including MSU, ASU, Penn State. Gone before he saw the field.
John Kenny - highly touted LB. Left because didn't think treated fairly. Arizona LB.
Nic Shimonek - Davis loved this gun slinging QB out of Texas. Left during the Rudock debacle. Texas Tech.
Colin Goebel - highest star rating in class, offers from Miami, Mississippi, WVU. Best OL prospect. Cal Poly.
Omar Truit - One of the top recruits out of D.C., with offers from Syracuse and Maryland. Got DUI.
Andre Harris - low ranked recruit. Never cracked the 2 deeps and just announced his transfer.
Malik Rucker - Didn't play much and transferred after his second year. Western Michigan

Unfortunately, there are 2 themes with these kids: they are mostly the higher touted kids in the class, and they are the out of staters in the class. One can only imagine the depth we would have right now with these guys still on the roster. Something needs to be done to retain the out of state kids. Some program that entwines them with the Iowa culture/community/team atmosphere.
Really liked J Kenny put his life on the line for us at FB when asked .... I saw him on block on the interior his bell was rung but didn't take himself out. Don't blame him or anybody

Reactions: amahawk
You can look at it two ways. 1. We've lost a lot of players from a class that was full of lowly rated guys...and thats bad because attrition is terrible in a developmental program where we rely on seniors and juniors. 2. We've lost a lot of players from a class that was full of lowly rated guys...and thats good because they wouldn't have contributed and now we are getting higher rated guys to take their roster spots.

It's really a combo of both. Some of them would have washed out due to younger, more talented guys passing over them and some of them would have been 2 year starters. It is what it is. Attrition from one class isn't a big deal as long as the other classes around it have low attrition and players that are good enough to contribute. We will be fine as long as those other classes stay in tact for the most part.

Also, we've been recruiting more Iowa kids in these last few classes due to the talent in the state increasing. It's very rare for an in-state kid to transfer out etc. That bodes VERY well for the future of attrition as long as the state keeps producing talent annually.

As I said in the Andre Harris thread when the 2013 class attrition was questioned, I remember one Hawkeye telling an incoming class to look around. By the time you graduate about half of you will still be here. 2013 attrition is a little high but not abnormal. Going strictly on memory:

2013 - 22 commits - 11 left
2012 - 24 commits - 9 or 10 left
2011 - 25 commits - 9 or 10 left
2010 - 22 commits - 8 or 9 left
2009 - 20 commits - 9 or 10 left
2008 - 25 commits - 13 left

Edit: the key is to get the 10-14 guys that graduate is to get all of them to be contributors. Look at the 2010 class. The guys that graduated were all getting on the field: Miller, Hitchens, KMM, CJF, Davis, Lowery, Kirksey, Shumpert, Donnal, Scherff, Hardy, LTP, Morris

Last edited:

I guessed who posted this before I looked.

Think if you take a hard look at most programs you will have similar findings. Nature of the beast with college athletics. Nobody wants to sit and develop for a year or 2, they all want to play now whether they are ready or not.

Yep, that was my first thought.

We don't lose depth although in some cases we may lose athletic ability. In other cases, we are probably happy to see the schollie open. There are transfers available if we want them. I don't remember a year where when we had more spaces to fill than the NCAA scholarship limit allowed.

Reggie Spearman was the jewel of the class over Willies?

In all seriousness, Willies was going to be the only one that contributed significantly before their senior year. Kenny probably could have but he took one for the team by switching to FB. Spearman was outclassed pretty badly his freshman year.

Ignorant post with an agenda! Not interested!

I question the efforts in the Maryland DC area and whether it's worth it. Over the past few years we have pulled in 11 kids from that area but only 3 have ever played or started and 1 of those Coker transferred after 2 years.

I look at this is the fact that they weren't going to see the field, so they chose to go elsewhere. Whether from mistakes on or off the field, they weren't playing, so they went somewhere else to play (if possible). I see this as a good thing, as our coaches are developing players to stay on the field and not get their positions taken. I can see this as a bad thing, as depth concerns and also a bad radar for talent.

I'm looking at the positive, as the product on the field shows our coaches are putting the right people in the right places. Is it September yet? Can't.......stomach.....baseball......anymore.....

Yup. The guys who left either sucked or didn't like Iowa for various reasons: coaches, campus, homesickness, etc.

What's the retention rate for the '14 and '15 classes so far? Early for both still, but it seems like attrition has been acceptable thus far for the last two classes.

What's the retention rate for the '14 and '15 classes so far? Early for both still, but it seems like attrition has been acceptable thus far for the last two classes.

Dont believe anyone has left the 2015 class.

Markel Smith - Not sure if he ever got here, he may not have qualified
Jalen Embry'
Terrence Harris
CJ Hilliard
Omar Truitt

- Losing Willies was an absolute travesty.
- Jalen Embry was a very interesting prospect. I saw a lot of Micah Hyde in him.
- Kenny would have been a big contributor if he would have stayed the course.
- Spearman wasn't that good.
- No room for CJ Hilliard unless he switched positions.
- Shimonek was pedestrian and the rest on the list were future non-contributors.
- Markel Smith had a nice highlight reel, but looked like a poor man's ARob to me.

- Losing Willies was an absolute travesty.
- Jalen Embry was a very interesting prospect. I saw a lot of Micah Hyde in him.
- Kenny would have been a big contributor if he would have stayed the course.
- Spearman wasn't that good.
- No room for CJ Hilliard unless he switched positions.
- Shimonek was pedestrian and the rest on the list were future non-contributors.
- Markel Smith had a nice highlight reel, but looked like a poor man's ARob to me.

Willies quit on the team midseason, you can debate the reasons why but he did. Disappointed we won't get to see him at Iowa, but that attitude would not have mixed with the team last year.

Willies pouted and then he quit. He said it was because of playing time; then he said it was because his dad was sick. Then he announced he was coming back to the program before he had even talked to the coaches about it. Then KF gave him a path to get back onto the team. He decided the effort that would have taken was not worth it.

Losing him was not a travesty in my book. Wish him well at Texas Tech. At least I think that is where he is at. I know it was Missouri then it changed. Sensing a pattern with this kid.

Reactions: Herkmeister
Well on the positive side, Desmond King is the best corner to ever play at Iowa, Jewell is very good, Vendeberg catches everything thrown his way, KF compared Welsh to Yanda. Boettger and Myers are starting. Wadley and Daniels look to make a good 1-2 RB punch. Bazata is not flashy but he gets the job done.There's guys like Mitchell and Bower that play quite a bit. There's a lot of guys in that class that didn't pan out for sure but the guys that did have been a key part of winning 27 games the last three years.

Willies pouted and then he quit. He said it was because of playing time; then he said it was because his dad was sick. Then he announced he was coming back to the program before he had even talked to the coaches about it. Then KF gave him a path to get back onto the team. He decided the effort that would have taken was not worth it.

Losing him was not a travesty in my book. Wish him well at Texas Tech. At least I think that is where he is at. I know it was Missouri then it changed. Sensing a pattern with this kid.

Derrick handled playing behind inferior talent very poorly. I only say it is a travesty because this kid is exactly what this team needs. The Hawks needs Scheel and/or Jerminic Smith to step into the playmaker role to stay in the hunt for the B1G title and the playoffs.

Please explain the"Rudock debacle" and how it affected Nic Shimonek. Thanks in advance.

The short-sightedness of some fans is mind blowing. It makes me question if any of you are actual Iowa grads. We didn't want these guys anyway because they didn't start as freshmen so they must have sucked? I'll bet my salary that the coaching staff would disagree with you. And it's not "negative" to point out a problem that needs to be fixed.

Spearman was an athletic freak who was in on our raider package as a 17 yr old true freshmen. He wouldn't have contributed 3 years later over the backup LBs we have this year? Has anyone seen our backup QBs play? They do not inspire any confidence at all. You really don't think Shimonek would have been pushing for our backup QB spot?

We have the worst WR corp in the Big 10. You don't think guys like Warfield (who could have gone to ASU or Penn State or 6'3 4.4 speed Jones, athletic freaks, could have given us better depth at WR than what we currently have, which are 2 star kids like Falconer or the true freshmen who have not even stepped foot on campus? Not to mention Willies, who would likely be our #1 offensive threat.

Then others say that there were also some good players in the class of 2013 to rebut this thread. I ask...what the hell does King's success have to do with the huge attrition suffered by the class? How does that make losing 60% of the recruits that our own coaching staff though highly enough of to give them full scholarships and convince them to come to Iowa? Every class is going to have guys that play. That has nothing to do with attrition, and it's really not that complicated to understand.

Signing a class of 15 in state kids is NOT the solution when the state is Iowa. Sticking your head in the sand is not the solution either. If a staff is going to bring in extremely low rated recruiting classes and sell it as we are a "developmental" program, we better at least stop the attrition so that we can develop the kids rather than having to keep bringing in large recruiting classes to stop the hemorrhaging.

Last edited:
Derrick handled playing behind inferior talent very poorly. I only say it is a travesty because this kid is exactly what this team needs. The Hawks needs Scheel and/or Jerminic Smith to step into the playmaker role to stay in the hunt for the B1G title and the playoffs.
Athletic talent (which is what Willies had ) is only 1 component to earning playing time. Positions are earned not handed out. Most fans just don't get!

The short-sightedness of some fans is mind blowing. It makes me question if any of you are actual Iowa grads. We didn't want these guys anyway because they didn't start as freshmen so they must have sucked? I'll bet my salary that the coaching staff would disagree with you.

Spearman was an athletic freak who was in on our raider package as a 17 yr old true freshmen. He wouldn't have contributed 3 years later over the backup LBs we have this year? Has anyone seen our backup QBs play? They do not inspire any confidence at all. You really don't think Shimonek would have been pushing for our backup QB spot?

We have the worst WR corp in the Big 10. You don't think guys like Warfield (who could have gone to ASU or Penn State or 6'3 4.4 speed Jones, athletic freaks, could have given us better depth at WR than what we currently have, which are 2 star kids like Falconer or the true freshmen who have not even stepped foot on campus? Not to mention Willies, who would likely be our #1 offensive threat.

Then others say that there were also some good players in the class of 2013 to rebut this thread. I ask...what the hell does King's success have to do with the huge attrition suffered by the class? How does that make losing 60% of the recruits that our own coaching staff though highly enough of to give them full scholarships and convince them to come to Iowa? Every class is going to have guys that play. That has nothing to do with attrition, and it's really not that complicated to understand.

Signing a class of 15 in state kids is NOT the solution when the state is Iowa. Sticking your head in the sand is not the solution either. If a staff is going to bring in extremely low rated recruiting classes and sell it as we are a "developmental" program, we better at least stop the attrition so that we can develop the kids rather than having to keep bringing in large recruiting classes to stop the hemorrhaging.
Across all of college football, generally only half the players in a recruiting class become major contributors. The 2013 class is no different. If the other guys weren't fits for the program, better to get them out so we can bring in fresh blood. Those guys are no longer in the program for a reason.

The short-sightedness of some fans is mind blowing. It makes me question if any of you are actual Iowa grads. We didn't want these guys anyway because they didn't start as freshmen so they must have sucked? I'll bet my salary that the coaching staff would disagree with you.

War field was recruited as DB not WR.

Your posts lack accurate info and lend no credibility

Reactions: downtown hawk redux
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT