ADVERTISEMENT

2017 Softball Season

There are alot around the Big Ten that could have played at Iowa. Several girls that are graduating this year. I know Waukee has Shaffer P going to Michigan, Timmerman P going to Drake. just a couple pitchers. Nearad who is one of the best hitters I have seen is going to ISU after she finishes up with Kirkwood. Plenty of Iowa Girls around that would have made an impact on Iowa roster. Think about Doocy and Fiser and Lynderman all Freshman coming to Iowa. What kind of impact that would have had on this team and roster. We got Doocy I know but add just those two other girls and its a different year.

Reactions: SynergyHawk12
I think they wanted to get the potentially big bat of Cantu in the lineup. She can play catcher or 1st. This puts Mullarkey in right field to replace Thompson.

While I don't necessarily disagree with putting Cantu in the lineup, I understand the frustration with Thompson not playing. I think she will be a winner.
Minnesota announcers said she was hurt. I don't think Thompson would ever be out of the lineup when healthy.

Allie Walljasper LSU, has family in Iowa, sent video and information to Iowa, no response. Safe to say Iowa HS softball could put together a very competitive squad?

Water under the bridge. Need to finish this year strong and get the trend back in the right direction. Some kids will want to stay home no matter what and some will want to leave no matter what.

Water under the bridge. Need to finish this year strong and get the trend back in the right direction. Some kids will want to stay home no matter what and some will want to leave no matter what.

Some will want to go. Some want to be in Iowa. A CA pitcher good enough for LSU wanted to go to Iowa, no response. If you don't review history you won't learn from it. Give the iowa girls a reason to stay home.

Reactions: beahawk
Except that Iowa refuses to recruit Iowa high school players.

Come on this is complete BS. Iowa isn't refusing to recruit Iowa kids, maybe just maybe it's a two way street.

You can't give every instate a full ride because if you did you wouldn't have a team. Has Iowa missed on some? Absolutely. Has EVERY D1 program in the nation missed on instate kids? 100% they have.

There has to be some middle ground from both sides if this is going or change it's not just a IOWA issue.

This line of thinking is getting old and tiresome.

Got the win over Western Illinois. Need to go 4 - 3 to end the season with 20 wins. Step in the right direction. Considering the first half of the season.

Come on this is complete BS. Iowa isn't refusing to recruit Iowa kids, maybe just maybe it's a two way street.

You can't give every instate a full ride because if you did you wouldn't have a team. Has Iowa missed on some? Absolutely. Has EVERY D1 program in the nation missed on instate kids? 100% they have.

There has to be some middle ground from both sides if this is going or change it's not just a IOWA issue.

I appreciate the loyalty to the program. Will there be misses, some kids want to go away for school. That being said Iowa has missed far too many for it to be a middle ground on this. In a state that leans towards the Hawkeyes and has historically been a very solid program the misses are far more prevalent than needed. While old and tiresome there is far too much evidence to not be a large issue.

Well, Doocy was a nice in-state get. Guessing recruiting from anywhere gets tougher from here on out, with Looper's contract up next year.

Reactions: Drmac22

I agree this is not correct Iowa does not refuse to recruit Iowa as we just got Doocy but the effort the last few years have now started to come back to us and we are facing those missed girls and they are productive, yes there is lots of misses at every level no school can know which ones will be the superstars or diamonds in the rough, it is an art recruiting. Many times it comes down to numbers and if they have rides to offer. I do feel that if Gayle was still the coach that we would have not missed on so many of those Iowa kids. Looper is making an effort NOW to look at them but a little to late, I hope she spends more time and effort on recruiting Iowa. we shall see.

I agree this is not correct Iowa does not refuse to recruit Iowa as we just got Doocy but the effort the last few years have now started to come back to us and we are facing those missed girls and they are productive, yes there is lots of misses at every level no school can know which ones will be the superstars or diamonds in the rough, it is an art recruiting. Many times it comes down to numbers and if they have rides to offer. I do feel that if Gayle was still the coach that we would have not missed on so many of those Iowa kids. Looper is making an effort NOW to look at them but a little to late, I hope she spends more time and effort on recruiting Iowa. we shall see.
I agree, I think they are doing a better job now of recruiting Iowa kids, but a lot of ground need to be made up. I think when Looper got the job, she thought she could just bring in kids from Texas and California and be competitive in the Big Ten. Then she found out that didn't work so well. Now with Iowa being one of the bottom teams in the Big Ten it will be harder to get the better Iowa girls to stay home.

It's harder for EVERY D1 program in the nation to keep kids instate because of how the game has become a NATIONAL sport and not just regional. Families can watch their kid from afar now so the draw of staying close to home for family and friends isn't what it used to be.

Unless you're UGA or FLA through state sponsored scholarships where you have a decided advantage to keep instate kids and still offer out of state kids major money.

The playing field isn't level for all programs so some programs have to be smarter with their scholarship allotment in order to fill a roster.

It's not as easy as saying Iowa refuses to recruit Iowa kids but that's the rhetoric that catches people's attention so it keeps circulating.

It's harder for EVERY D1 program in the nation to keep kids instate because of how the game has become a NATIONAL sport and not just regional. Families can watch their kid from afar now so the draw of staying close to home for family and friends isn't what it used to be.

Unless you're UGA or FLA through state sponsored scholarships where you have a decided advantage to keep instate kids and still offer out of state kids major money.

The playing field isn't level for all programs so some programs have to be smarter with their scholarship allotment in order to fill a roster.

It's not as easy as saying Iowa refuses to recruit Iowa kids but that's the rhetoric that catches people's attention so it keeps circulating.

Perhaps it keeps circulating because of some the situations that have occurred? A small possibility that coaches and players may be making comments supporting the premise? programs have inherent advantages, true, but to dismiss the situation and generalize the problem won't help drive the change that people are looking for.

Reactions: beahawk
Looper was quoted in the Cedar Rapids Gazette a year ago saying something to the effect that it was not a talent issue but Iowa kids had more of an adjustment to get to the level that Iowa needed to compete in the B10. I thought it was an unfortunate statement given the success several Iowa kids have had on a national level, and it might be she didn't mean it to sound as bad as it came out. And frankly, if you were to average out the stats of the players she's brought in from TX and CA, it would not be very impressive.

http://www.thegazette.com/subject/s...ll-fails-to-secure-states-top-talent-20160509

In other news, the B10 website is showing us in a 3 way tie for 7th place. If we could maintain that through the end of the regular season, that would be a serious improvement.

Last edited:
Nobody is dismissing the fact that Iowa kids have left the state for other programs. What I am dismissing is the fact that people keep saying Iowa refuses to recruit Iowa kids.

The simple fact is NO program can survive on giving instate kids FULL RIDES unless they're a stud pitcher.

Programs survive by offering STUD instate players 50-70% and that allows them to offer out of state players more money.

The recruiting process is complicated and it's NOT what people make it out to be.

Is what you are saying is that they save higher scholarship percentages for the out of state players? Are they paying out of state players above 70%? I understand it is used to offset the cost of attendance. This would make me reconsider going to an in state school over another out of state offer because it may appear the out of state school want me more.

I may be mistaken in softball, but in other sports (wrestling for example) a 50% scholarship to an out of state student is considered the same as a 50% in state student. So, out of state 50% = $20,825 is equal to in state 50% of $ 10,812. These numbers are for full cost of attendance.

I have volunteered for local traveling team tournaments in Iowa City, and I know I've posted this before, but there is very little notice of Coach Looper when she walks through. When Coach Blevins was here, there was always a buzz that the Iowa coach was in attendance.

50% is 50%. Instate tuition is 20k +, out of state tuition is 40K+. So instate 50% is a hell of an offer where 50% out of state isn't much help so they have to up the out of state money to pull in kids.

In simple math an instate player @50% will leave school with roughly a debt of 40k, where and out of state kid @50% will leave with a debt of 80k

Some schools can wave out of state tuition for being a bordering state or achieving a certain score on ACT,SAT. Iowa doesn't do this

Last edited:
I have volunteered for local traveling team tournaments in Iowa City, and I know I've posted this before, but there is very little notice of Coach Looper when she walks through. When Coach Blevins was here, there was always a buzz that the Iowa coach was in attendance.

Well Blevins was considered a LEGENDARY coach to most Iowans and most people within the softball world so of course there's going to be a buzz when she's present.

Reactions: Drmac22 and LinusPF
For my Daughter Who is going to St Cloud, it is a not fully funded school, so the offer was some softball money not alot, Waived out of state tution which is actually alot of money, and education money as well as opportunity for diversity money as she is hispanic, since she is not a pitcher she did not get the big money that they are offering them. It is most definately different for each school. State schools in Illinois offer dependents of veterans scholarships, so say I lived in Illinois and was a veteran and had a daughter that could play D1 softball she could go there, use that scholarship and save softball money for other out of state players which is an advantage, Iowa does not offer this. Same goes for High acedemics if you cut a high act or sat or you have a strong HS GPA you can earn a scholarship and that would also offset costs to the softball teams allotted softball money for recruits. Lots of ways around stuff. And yes recruiting is a crazy confusing process. Parents of athletes need to really take some time to research the whole process cause there is alot to it. D1 and D2. I ask many of the club girls I Have coached if they want to play softball in college but most have no idea how to get it going and get offered. If the girl is uber talented Colleges will definately help but parents need to know stuff too.

Well Blevins was considered a LEGENDARY coach to most Iowans and most people within the softball world so of course there's going to be a buzz when she's present.
Blevins is a Hall of Fame coach and known everywhere there is softball. So yes she draws a crowd. I see Looper around, but she seems like she is distant and not really approachable, I met Coach Hutch From Michigan at a tourney in Illinois, mentioned to her about a pitcher i had coach and knew of that she should take a look at, she immediately got her name and info, also told her She was coached By Coach Blevins for hitting and she shot a text to her asking the details. You have to seize every opportunity no matter where it comes from. Girl went on official visit to Michigan got an offer but ultimately choose Nebraska. So it just takes a min to talk to people and things may lean your way.

Reactions: SPGroth
Recruiting is getting harder every year due to the early timing of it. When my daughter she was a sophomore in HS and was already a year late to the recruiting war. It's only gotten worse with 7/8th graders committing now. 100% ridiculous.

Money plays a huge role for parents and players. I honestly would put it even if not slightly ahead of education. You can't go wrong with a degree from Iowa or any school in the B1G.

I will reiterate that I firmly believe Iowa is a special place and has WAY more to offer than outsiders believe. It's truly a unique opportunity.

We all want Iowa to be what it should be and hopefully with the way the team is playing now it will reignite the fans and players of the state and we can keep them home.

Blevins is a Hall of Fame coach and known everywhere there is softball. So yes she draws a crowd. I see Looper around, but she seems like she is distant and not really approachable, I met Coach Hutch From Michigan at a tourney in Illinois, mentioned to her about a pitcher i had coach and knew of that she should take a look at, she immediately got her name and info, also told her She was coached By Coach Blevins for hitting and she shot a text to her asking the details. You have to seize every opportunity no matter where it comes from. Girl went on official visit to Michigan got an offer but ultimately choose Nebraska. So it just takes a min to talk to people and things may lean your way.

And the pitcher that you speak of is pretty darn good. Look forward to following her and her team this summer!

And the pitcher that you speak of is pretty darn good. Look forward to following her and her team this summer!
I do to, up to the point where my daughters team has to play her. hahaha! Should be another good battle! I still tell her she should have chose Iowa, but she laughs and says naw.. I like Nebraska. I guess that is the bottom line too. Liking the place. still a while before she graduates so she may change her mind.. Who knows.

Reactions: SPGroth
Interesting comment made by Tracey Griesbaum in the Jane Meyer trial: Griesbaum testified that she felt Barta wanted female coaches who “weren’t necessarily effective but were peaceful,” and a team in which “no one brought a complaint forward".
By all accounts Looper is a very sweet person and her players love her. Sounds like to Barta results on the field may be a bit of an afterthought.

http://www.thegazette.com/subject/location/schools/college/university-of-iowa/jane-meyer-trial-plaintiff-attorneys-rest-case-university-of-iowas-defense-to-begin-friday-20170428?bt_alias=eyJ1c2VySWQiOiAiM2RkNmI3OWYtYWY5MS00MGY1LWI5ZDQtZjAxNTcwOTViMGQxIn0=&utm_medium=email&utm_source=boomtrain&utm_campaign=20160610

Last edited:
Well Sharon Dingmann was let go and she never struck me as being particularly fiesty. Also news to me that there have been complaints against Shymansky.

I'm a bit surprised the Blevins situation hasn't made it into the plaintiff's case, and that Bluder was called in. Maybe I just missed it but I can't find whether Bluder actually testified or was just on a list of potential witnesses. Also will be interesting to see if any of the coaches who claimed Meyer had become difficult to work with (eg. Ferentz) will be testifying.

Well Sharon Dingmann was let go and she never struck me as being particularly fiesty.

Well there are limits. Dingmann's teams were going B1G seasons winning just a couple sets, never mind actually winning matches.

Well Sharon Dingmann was let go and she never struck me as being particularly fiesty. Also news to me that there have been complaints against Shymansky.

I'm a bit surprised the Blevins situation hasn't made it into the plaintiff's case, and that Bluder was called in. Maybe I just missed it but I can't find whether Bluder actually testified or was just on a list of potential witnesses. Also will be interesting to see if any of the coaches who claimed Meyer had become difficult to work with (eg. Ferentz) will be testifying.
Bluder testified for a very short time two days ago. They mostly discussed the fact that one of her assistants was in a same sex marriage and that their partner was invited to attend athletic event functions.

Ugh - We look like a t-ball team sometimes with our base running..

Another terrific game by Doocy!
If we were just an average hitting team we'd be several games over .500 and pushing for a first-round bye in the B1G tournament!

Last edited:
Well there are limits. Dingmann's teams were going B1G seasons winning just a couple sets, never mind actually winning matches.

Her volleyball teams didn't even compete in the B1G. It was embarrassing. Iowa was AWFUL under Dingman and that may be giving her too much credit.

Pitching staff ERA as a whole is now under 3.00, and Doocy 5th in the B10 in strikeouts. We lead the B10 in double plays (13th nationally per Drake's TV announcers). On the downside, batting avg. and runs scored are still abysmal.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT