ADVERTISEMENT

2019 RECRUITING...who fills out the class?

I'll be interested to pay more attention to Duggans senior year play. Get a better idea of what kind of player he really is. If he is indeed looking at a program other than Iowa, I'm sure the staff can come up with a suitable back up plan. They probably already have some guys in mind. Keep finding guys like Petras and Mansell we'll be fine.

I just have a feeling Duggan is not staying in state. With offers like OSU, PSU, Georgia etc at QB, I would be totally shocked if he went to ISU or Iowa.

I just have a feeling Duggan is not staying in state. With offers like OSU, PSU, Georgia etc at QB, I would be totally shocked if he went to ISU or Iowa.

My initial thought before Frost was hired was that if he took the job at Nebraska that Duggan would end up there.

Nebraska just got a QB flip from the Tennessee commit "Martinez". For the love of all things holy..... don't reach on a qb that is just going to be a place holder this year, sell your butt off to Duggan.

Last edited:
Reactions: Uihawks111
Lots of good recruits in town for bowl practice today! Hopefully some leave with significant interest.

I've put together a list of recruits for the the 2019 class. These are players that I think we have a shot at.

How many do we take? What is the position break down? Any recruits I missed that we may have a realistic chance of adding to the class?

QB Max Duggan dual
RB Jirehl Brock, Sampson James, Cam Baker
OL Justin Britt
DL Jason Bargy, Marcus Hicks, Spencer Bono, Jalen Hunt, Mosai Newsom
LB Jack Campbell, Nick Henrich, Jack Kiser
DB Moses Douglass, Sebastian Castro, Kobe Myers
ATH Dashaun Brown

TE Chris Hickman

Harb... Next year Iowa will likely take 4 OLs (Daniels, Render, LeGrand, and Reynolds) and this could be one of Iowa's finest hauls. The two Iowa kids (Tyler Endres and Ezra Miller are listed at 6'6") are probably more likely to be big OGs as high schools in Iowa rarely develop tackle material, especially the left tackle position where speed rushers are not as common in the Iowa HS ranks.

Before you jump down my throat about Wirfs, let me say that I believe Wirfs will be better at LG along side Jackson and Wirfs is better suited for that position.
Gallery played RG in the pros and Yanda and Scherff are All-Pro Guards in the pro. Iowa's better tackles seem to come from outside the state (Bulaga, Reiff, Jackson).

Iowa should be able to get the commitment of OT Trevor Keegan (a likely RT prospect) who is a HS teammate of Iowa 2018 commitments OL Jeff Jenkins and ATH Samson Evans from Crystal Lake, IL. I believe Keegan will commit to Iowa at spring practice time and reserve his spot. I think Iowa go for the closer of Edina HS (MN) Rivals100 for 2019 Quinn Carroll. Carroll's dad is a former Gopher TE and his older brother was a long snapper at VaTech, but Fleck has fill alot of his OT spots and will only have about 1 or 2 OL openings next year. Carroll looks like a LT the way KF like them. Notre Dame and Wisconsin may be other real competitors but at least Iowa offered Quinn a scholarship very early in the recruiting process last year. Quinn is about the highest recruit in Minnesota since Seantrel Henderson. Hopefully, he (Quinn) gets better advice.

The lost of Stepp opens the hole for Brock to commit early. I believe Brock will commit in early summer. Bargy and Newsom would make a great set of DEs to start the defense spot refills. Go Hawks.

Last edited:
Harb... Next year Iowa will likely take 4 OLs (Daniels, Render, LeGrand, and Reynolds) and this could be one of Iowa's finest hauls. The two Iowa kids (Tyler Endres and Ezra Miller are listed at 6'6") are probably more likely to be big OGs as high schools in Iowa rarely develop tackle material, especially the left tackle position where speed rushers are not as common in the Iowa HS ranks.

Before you jump down my throat about Wirfs, let me say that I believe Wirfs will be better at LG along side Jackson and Wirfs is better suited for that position.
Gallery played RG in the pros and Yanda and Scherff are All-Pro Guards in the pro. Iowa's better tackles seem to come from outside the state (Bulaga, Reiff, Jackson).

Iowa should be able to get the commitment of OT Trevor Keegan (a likely RT prospect) who is a HS teammate of Iowa 2018 commitments OL Jeff Jenkins and ATH Samson Evans from Crystal Lake, IL. I believe Keegan will commit to Iowa at spring practice time and reserve his spot. I think Iowa go for the closer of Edina HS (MN) Rivals100 for 2019 Quinn Carroll. Carroll's dad is a former Gopher TE and his older brother was a long snapper at VaTech, but Fleck has fill alot of his OT spots and will only have about 1 or 2 OL openings next year. Carroll looks like a LT the way KF like them. Notre Dame and Wisconsin may be other real competitors but at least Iowa offered Quinn a scholarship very early in the recruiting process last year. Quinn is about the highest recruit in Minnesota since Seantrel Henderson. Hopefully, he (Quinn) gets better advice.

The lost of Stepp opens the hole for Brock to commit early. I belive Brock will commit in early summer. Bargy and Newsom would make a great set of DEs to start the defense spot refills. Go Hawks.
Dude. Thanks for the insight. Hadn't really thought about Wirfs. Have Keegan and Carroll visited recently? I'm cautiously optimistic about Brock.

Brock being from Quincy,IL.... it's basketball season. Expect spring ball visits. Location helps Iowa. Lovie's ILLANNOY football is a bad place to be. Carroll will be a major coup for Iowa (like sinking Fleck's U-boat). Carroll can wait and will probably take all 5 official visits (away from Minnesota).

Love the thought of next year's starting OL:

LT AlaricJackson (Soph)
LG Tristan Wirfs (Soph)
C James Daniels (Senior)
RG Keegan Render (Senior)
RT/RG Levi Paulsen (Junior

I would suspect that Kallenberger and Williams make up the top 7. Don't know the status of Landan Paulsen. Seems like Iowa's depth at OL appears weaker than usual, especially backup tackles. Wonder if Jeff Jenkins or Cody Ince turns out to be a surprise stud OL who sees some action by mid season next year.

Brock being from Quincy,IL.... it's basketball season. Expect spring ball visits. Location helps Iowa. Lovie's ILLANNOY football is a bad place to be. Carroll will be a major coup for Iowa (like sinking Fleck's U-boat). Carroll can wait and will probably take all 5 official visits (away from Minnesota).

Love the thought of next year's starting OL:

LT AlaricJackson (Soph)
LG Tristan Wirfs (Soph)
C James Daniels (Senior)
RG Keegan Render (Senior)
RT/RG Levi Paulsen (Junior

I would suspect that Kallenberger and Williams make up the top 7. Don't know the status of Landan Paulsen. Seems like Iowa's depth at OL appears weaker than usual, especially backup tackles. Wonder if Jeff Jenkins or Cody Ince turns out to be a surprise stud OL who sees some action by mid season next year.
You think they move Wirfs inside one year after he starts as a redshirt freshman at tackle?

Wirfs was a true freshman and Jackson was the redshirt fresh, I thought. I know there has been talk about moving Wirfs to a guard, I cannot see a Paulson taking over LT for that to Happen.

You think they move Wirfs inside one year after he starts as a redshirt freshman at tackle?

Yes, because Wirfs plays better in a confined space and working with Jackson will shore up Stanley's blind side. Also help make the left a strong running side. Wirfs as a pulling guard would scare some people. Also, not fond of Sir Render's :)oops:eek:_O) pass protection. Better left to playing the right side of the line where he is on more run support.

Wirfs was a true freshman and Jackson was the redshirt fresh, I thought. I know there has been talk about moving Wirfs to a guard, I cannot see a Paulson taking over LT for that to Happen.

Troll- (Levi) Paulsen was the two deep man at both RG and RT. Where did you get LT? Why would you take Alaric jackson from the LT position? WTF!:rolleyes:

Well that makes way more sense. I still don't see a paulsen* taking over at tackle. If that were going to happen it would have been the play this year.

I'd hoped Mark Kallenberger would gain the weight/strength to not only contribute, but push for the RT spot moving Wirfs inside. Having him next to Jackson in the future would be fun to watch.

Idk about this whole moving Wirfs to left guard especially next year as we lose Welsh off the right guard spot. Would leave a largely unproven right side with a guy who hasn't played any tackle. Wirfs is far more talented and athletic than most of our OL. And now he has time at RT. Leave him there til we have a suitable replacement at RT.

One if not both of the Ince/Jenkins duo will be total bears as guards. Not sure they play but could.

We're either Keegan or Carroll here this past wknd?

The lost of Stepp opens the hole for Brock to commit early. I belive Brock will commit in early summer. Bargy and Newsom would make a great set of DEs to start the defense spot refills. Go Hawks.
Also dude, Keegan attends Crystal Lake South and Evans and Jenkins attend Prairie Ridge. Get it correc!

Reactions: deanhawk88
2019 is going to be very import how they finish out the 2018 class is going to be vital. I'll buy in that the staff had identified Benson and went out and got the guy they wanted but this class can't finish with "projects".

why?Most players Iowa gets are projects.

I agree David. I would say every player entering is a project, we need guys that need a year or 2 to be ready not 3 or 4. Recruitting in the big has gotten alot better the last couple years and the problem with the 3-4 year thing is it can leave huge holes. "We" need guys who can contribute earlier or we are going to fall further behind in the west. Imo.

Looking like we will need to finish out 18 so at least one more OL. We'll need at least 2 more in 19 too. Hope to hear more about Shammond soon.

ILB Luke Fulton 6-3 215 Cardinal Mooney 3star is another backer I feel should get an offer unless he's expressed disinterest in the program. High motor kid, shows good speed.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT