ADVERTISEMENT

2019 RECRUITING...who fills out the class?

Yeah but there don't appear to be any new offers other than the "Rutgers" LB from GA. On a positive note I think someone has flipped that kid and now it's just a matter of us or Ole miss.

Reactions: u8u8u8
Yeah but there don't appear to be any new offers other than the "Rutgers" LB from GA. On a positive note I think someone has flipped that kid and now it's just a matter of us or Ole miss.

ole Miss, hmmm. Does anyone think it would be good idea to pledge to ole Miss?

"Ole Miss NCAA sanctions: Extra year of bowl ban and big scholarship ...
https://www.sbnation.com/...football/.../ole-miss-ncaa-sanctions-penalties-investigation
Dec 1, 2017 - Some of them are more salacious than others, ranging from former staffers allegedly fixing ACT scores to get recruits qualified for the football team to recruits allegedly hunting on boosters' private land. Ole Miss self-imposed a bowl ban for the 2017 season after the new batch of allegations came out in the ..."

ole Miss, hmmm. Does anyone think it would be good idea to pledge to ole Miss?

"Ole Miss NCAA sanctions: Extra year of bowl ban and big scholarship ...
https://www.sbnation.com/...football/.../ole-miss-ncaa-sanctions-penalties-investigation
Dec 1, 2017 - Some of them are more salacious than others, ranging from former staffers allegedly fixing ACT scores to get recruits qualified for the football team to recruits allegedly hunting on boosters' private land. Ole Miss self-imposed a bowl ban for the 2017 season after the new batch of allegations came out in the ..."

It's the $ec there is always an "uncle" that thinks it's a great idea.

Anyone know anything about this guy? Normally Bettendorf goes Iowa's way and it's a position of need. Committed to state.

Yeah,I never heard of the kid until he committed to ISU. Iowa hadn't offered, so they must have not seen enough yet. ISU trying to get an advantage in state any way they can and they have been offering some guys way earlier than Iowa.

Anyone know anything about this guy? Normally Bettendorf goes Iowa's way and it's a position of need. Committed to state.
Tall athletic reciever prospect. Prototypical size of their current wideouts. I recall a couple stories about him possibly over the summer. Talking about him being someone we might want to look into. Campbell recruiting machine gaining steam, plus at his position it's not a hard sell vs Iowa with our tight end focused scheme

Tall athletic reciever prospect. Prototypical size of their current wideouts. I recall a couple stories about him possibly over the summer. Talking about him being someone we might want to look into. Campbell recruiting machine gaining steam, plus at his position it's not a hard sell vs Iowa with our tight end focused scheme

That narrative needs to go away. We like to th8nk Iowa doesn't produce as much talent and that is the problem however alot of talent from Iowa ends up places other than Iowa. Especially at the skill positions.

It is especially easy to sell vs. Iowa when Iowa doesn’t offer a scholarship. That is likely a bigger factor than Iowa’s scheme.

We could be waiting on the offer after a camp or his senior year. Or we may not be after him and since No one else has offered he's grabbing a spot with the best current option. We've been loading up on receivers lately. Maybe they want to see how the positions looks in another 6-10 months.

Darian Porter is 6'4" 165/170 range. Definitely needs more muscle to that frame. His speed may be more like a long strider... it takes more more than 10 yards to get to top speed. Iowa State sells the B12 passing game where defenses are optional. They look more like 7 on 7 matches. Porter is considered their next Lazard or Butler (who will probably turn pro next year). Wait til ISUcc starts its 2018 football season and the losses start piling up. Last year was a fluke and a lot of seniors in their two deep.

Iowa is in on several above average WRs talents, especially in Missouri. Hope Iowa can make some inroads while Mizzou is a mess.

If we can pull McDonald maybe he can help us with this guy.

From the same high school as current star in the making Matt Hankins.

Receiver we could look into if need be. Some decent offers.

That narrative needs to go away. We like to th8nk Iowa doesn't produce as much talent and that is the problem however alot of talent from Iowa ends up places other than Iowa. Especially at the skill positions.

This kid did not look good in the playoffs. No question he has speed but there's more to it than that. maybe he will develop but not a good prospect now. How he is a 5.6 3 star is mind bottling.

So should they offer every fast, tall player? Not all make good p5 prospects. Unless they had him at their camp, which I doubt, it's a reach imo.

You said you didn't understand how he was a 5.6. No. But if the question is should they try to get as many of the of the 6-4 fast receivers from Iowa to Iowa as possible then yes. My original point was we have alot of talent from inside the state end up at schools other than Iowa.

You said you didn't understand how he was a 5.6. No. But if the question is should they try to get as many of the of the 6-4 fast receivers from Iowa to Iowa as possible then yes. My original point was we have alot of talent from inside the state end up at schools other than Iowa.

He hasn't proved he's a talent yet. All he's proved is he's 6'4"and fast. Just being 6'4" and fast doesn't mean you are a football player.

He hasn't proved he's a talent yet. All he's proved is he's 6'4"and fast. Just being 6'4" and fast doesn't mean you are a football player.

Your right, and there are unattractive 5-7, 125#, DD, females in this world, but if you connect enough variables you have a decent look. I don't know what your deal with this guy is unless you think he is a wimp and thats the "football player" shtick. Again I will say. Bett has a history of going Iowa, we claim Iowa doesn't have the talent pool of other states, alot of talent from the state of Iowa goes to a different school.

Your right, and there are unattractive 5-7, 125#, DD, females in this world, but if you connect enough variables you have a decent look. I don't know what your deal with this guy is unless you think he is a wimp and thats the "football player" shtick. Again I will say. Bett has a history of going Iowa, we claim Iowa doesn't have the talent pool of other states, alot of talent from the state of Iowa goes to a different school.

Just saying i saw him play and nothing stands out. Campbell obviously thinks different but I think he's reaching here trying to get a foothold. We'll see, there is a chance he develops. I guess my main gist is this is not a recruiting victory for ISU and as of now he is not a good player. I don't care what rivals says.

You're trying too hard to connect dots, IMO. Do we have any evidence that Iowa *has not* given this kid a decent look?

I don't understand how this guy is what is bogging down the conversation forget this specific kid.

Bettendorf athletes tend to go to Iowa.

The "go to" of the side of the Fan base that thinks it's unrealistic for Iowa to compete with the big boys is "we don't produce alot of instate talent." This guy is another example of what appears to be a talented athlete from Iowa going to a school not named Iowa. Lazard, darboroh, Ross P, Martin, the list goes on of in state players that didn't end up at the U of I. There is a good chance the staff wasn't as high on this guy as they are in others but the narrative that Iowa doesn't produce alot of D1 talent isn't as accurate as that side of the Fan base would like to admit.

^ OK, I hear you. However, I think it's way too early to use this kid as an example for that. To me, he is currently in the Sean Foster, Trevor Ruhlman, O'rien Vance category; not in the elite iowa recruit category.

I don't understand how this guy is what is bogging down the conversation forget this specific kid.

Bettendorf athletes tend to go to Iowa.

The "go to" of the side of the Fan base that thinks it's unrealistic for Iowa to compete with the big boys is "we don't produce alot of instate talent." This guy is another example of what appears to be a talented athlete from Iowa going to a school not named Iowa. Lazard, darboroh, Ross P, Martin, the list goes on of in state players that didn't end up at the U of I. There is a good chance the staff wasn't as high on this guy as they are in others but the narrative that Iowa doesn't produce alot of D1 talent isn't as accurate as that side of the Fan base would like to admit.
Yes, there is a good chance that the players Iowa offered scholarships to were kids they were higher on than a kid they did not offer. A very good chance.

In an effort to apply some actual data to the conversation I have gone back to 2008 and looked at the top 2 players from each class and how many of them went to Iowa.

18. Wags IA, Lindy IA
17 Martin mich, Kallenburger IA
16 rairdon NE, Heinrich ark
15 pausenx2 Iowa
14 Ross P bama, lazard ISuck
13 Campos ISuck, weisnnieski ia
12 darboh mich, Rogers osu
11 French ore, blythe IA
10 derby IA, hoch mizz
09 Barrent msu, Davis IA
08 hoch mizz, cotton ne

9 of the last 22 top rated kids from inside the state have gone to Iowa. That's 40%. It would be a much stronger argument for the people that hang thier hat on the "lack of instate talent" if we were getting 75%ish. We are the premier football school in the state. As a basis of comparison Ohio State landed 17 of the top 22 from Ohio during that time. Everybody recruits Ohio. So again, leaving this guy out of it, one thing I think the staff could do better is get the instate talent from Iowa to go to the U of I.

In an effort to apply some actual data to the conversation I have gone back to 2008 and looked at the top 2 players from each class and how many of them went to Iowa.

18. Wags IA, Lindy IA
17 Martin mich, Kallenburger IA
16 rairdon NE, Heinrich ark
15 pausenx2 Iowa
14 Ross P bama, lazard ISuck
13 Campos ISuck, weisnnieski ia
12 darboh mich, Rogers osu
11 French ore, blythe IA
10 derby IA, hoch mizz
09 Barrent msu, Davis IA
08 hoch mizz, cotton ne

9 of the last 22 top rated kids from inside the state have gone to Iowa. That's 40%. It would be a much stronger argument for the people that hang thier hat on the "lack of instate talent" if we were getting 75%ish. We are the premier football school in the state. As a basis of comparison Ohio State landed 17 of the top 22 from Ohio during that time. Everybody recruits Ohio. So again, leaving this guy out of it, one thing I think the staff could do better is get the instate talent from Iowa to go to the U of I.
Well of course, and I don't think you'll get much disagreement there. But you seemed to first raise this point in the middle of a post about the Bett kid, and there currently is no correlation between the two subjects (IMO). So I think that is where you are running into issues/confusion.

Well of course, and I don't think you'll get much disagreement there. But you seemed to first raise this point in the middle of a post about the Bett kid, and there currently is no correlation between the two subjects (IMO). So I think that is where you are running into issues/confusion.

Ahhh. Good call. In my head it went... Here is a guy who seems to have a decent resume from a traditional hawkeye school. He plays a position where "we" are really trying to upgrade talent. He is choosing to go to another school(as part of that maybe our staff has identified other talent they like more and that's good). One of the things we always here about is the lack of in state talent, I wonder what percent of that talent ends up at Iowa. It's not like we have any position on the feild where we should be turning away any top talent.

Ahhh. Good call. In my head it went... Here is a guy who seems to have a decent resume from a traditional hawkeye school. He plays a position where "we" are really trying to upgrade talent. He is choosing to go to another school(as part of that maybe our staff has identified other talent they like more and that's good). One of the things we always here about is the lack of in state talent, I wonder what percent of that talent ends up at Iowa. It's not like we have any position on the feild where we should be turning away any top talent.
Apples to apples= Your list of kids Iowa lost that they offered. That is valid, and they need to do a little better.

Apples to oranges=Complaining about losing a player to Iowa State that Iowa, nor any other school has offered. Iowa State has probably offered 300 ‘19 kids already. If an Iowa State offer is the measure of worth...

Maybe he is legit, but from the evidence available to any of us, he is tall and plays football. Seriously, you need to get off the soapbox about the Bett receiver.

Reactions: CJ Beat Hard
ADVERTISEMENT