Hawkeye4Life78

HR All-American
Jan 11, 2004
LT- Jackson
LG-Kallenberger
C-Linderbaum
RG-Schott
RT-Cronk

Obviously some more in play like most likely for that RG spot like Plumb, Britt and Banwart but that’s my top 5. I’m real interested in the other walkon that got some reps last year as well, DeJong. Looked big and athletic.

I like Schott at RG, that bruiser/mauler type on the inside is always a plus. And his holiday bowl re appearance was pretty good.
Thoughts?

Reactions: dbrocket
LT- Jackson
LG-Kallenberger
C-Linderbaum
RG-Schott
RT-Cronk

Obviously some more in play, but that’s my top 5. I’m real interested in the other walk on that for some reps last year as well.

I like Schott at RG, that bruiser/mauler type on the inside is always a plus. And his holiday bowl re appearance was pretty good.
Thoughts?
was the walk on Nick De Jong?

That line looks pretty good to me. Obviously, LT and C are huge strengths. I love Schott at guard. Cronk seems like a perfect fit just because of the experience.

was the walk on Nick De Jong?

It allows for some true physical development. We will start two 5th year guys, two 4th year guys, and a talented 3rd year player. Guys like Plumb, Ince, and Britt won’t be needed to play until they are 3rd and 4th year players.

This year our experienced guys weren’t talented and our younger guys weren’t physically read my enough.

I'm too busy holding a beer in one hand and typing with the other to use the mouse to check this out for myself....so if someone could do it for me that'd be great. What are the sizes are of the top 7/8 guys on the OL for Iowa?

TIA and my next beer will be for whoever does the leg work.

With the 49ers using the zone blocking scheme, look for Iowa's profile for offensive line development to get a huge boost.

Reactions: easy2
I'm just happy to have plenty of options. We have three guys I'd be very comfortable with at tackle (Jackson, Cronk and Kallenberger), two of which have started a ton and played well in the B1G, and a couple more candidates behind them with the talent to succeed. We have what I think will be a very good Center and I think Schott or Banwart could play there if Linderbaum were to get injured. And we have four I feel *relatively* comfortable with at guard (Kallenberger, Britt, Banwart and Schott), again with a few more who have the talent to succeed.

I like the odds we'll have a good OL emerge from all that and be able to weather some injuries if need be.

Reactions: oldxbbc
I could see Britt rotating but Schott Kallenberger and Banwart have all seen significant time. Experience has always been a deciding factor for Ferentz.

Man was Cronk huge for depth purposes, if he can be an all big ten player, a very good offensive season may be upon us.

I was very concerned on the o- line knowing we had big guard issues and felt that we may lose both Wirfs and Jackson. With Cronk and Jackson at tackle and center filled we should be solid with the experience the backups have.

We are pretty set on offense and if Petras plays solid we should be good to very good.

D line depth and middle backer are now our biggest question marks. Athletic DB’s are in place, but will we have that lead corner? Overall we’re in a very good position, but the schedule is tough and we have a new QB.
I say we should look for 8-4 and dream for more.

1 losing season in the past 11 years and we are to the point that we consider a 7 win season an underachieving year. I think he has plenty figured out.
Without starting a pissing contest, a lot of the Hawk's successes are because the team's defense. Hopefully with T Goodson and a healthy O-Line 2020 will be the year the Hawks have a top 30 rushing offense.

Last edited:
Reactions: CarterHall
That line looks pretty good to me. Obviously, LT and C are huge strengths. I love Schott at guard. Cronk seems like a perfect fit just because of the experience.
Since AJ is most comfortable at LT, does this mean Cronk is willing to switch to RT?
Kallenberger is the swiss army knife of the OL.
Getting a healthy Banwart back would be huge for depth at G and C.
Britt & DeJong are future stars.

1 losing season in the past 11 years and we are to the point that we consider a 7 win season an underachieving year. I think he has plenty figured out.

Since we finish most years near the bottom of the conference in rushing yards and ypc, we have a lot to figure out. With just an average offense, fewer than 9 regular season wins would not happen and we would be division winners half the time. We complain about RBs, but with SF's blocking schemes, they can make a third team back look like an all-pro.

It would be great if this of-season, the offensive staff camped out with SF's rather than taking a cruise.

Since AJ is most comfortable at LT, does this mean Cronk is willing to switch to RT?
Kallenberger is the swiss army knife of the OL.
Getting a healthy Banwart back would be huge for depth at G and C.
Britt & DeJong are future stars.

Don’t forget my favorite, Schott. He is a bull. Just needs more reps pass pro...

I was very concerned on the o- line knowing we had big guard issues and felt that we may lose both Wirfs and Jackson. With Cronk and Jackson at tackle and center filled we should be solid.

I agree that our interior line play left much to be desired this past season. However, I think that context explains a lot about the issues we observed. Namely, we started a FR at center ... that itself impacts communication. Furthermore, we had injuries among starters ... Banwart was our lone prior starter on the interior ... and he was lost for the season. Right when Schott seemed to be solidifying himself as a starter ... he went down to injury too. And lastly, while Landan was a great teammate and excellent representative of our program ... his consistency still had issues. A person could claim that the very fact that the coaches opted with Landan demonstrates the weakness of our OG situation ... but I would simply point out that with the injuries to Banwart and Schott ... much of the remainder of our talent at OG was just really young. After all, Ince was a RS FR and Britt was a TR FR. Also, with Alaric's injury, we initially needed Kallenberger more at OT than OG.

Now that so many guys have received quality reps ... I fully expect gains to be made in our OL play ... significant gains, no less!

If you look at '20 OL ... we now have 6 guys who have seen starts against P5 competition ... and we have 2 other guys who saw quality snaps that weren't during clean-up duty. Having the capacity to have a solid 8-man rotation on the OL is a great starting place for the unit. I hope that they continue to grow and improve.

Don't take this wrong; love the guy, but at his size, how much more upside does he have?

Plenty. He is a bull in the run game. Especially in our zone scheme, size will be fine. He was an upgrade over the Paulsens, who are huge obviously double him(sarcasm). Roster says 6’2 290. So probably really 6’1 or so and if he can really be around 290-295, he can use leverage as he is a powerhouse. Like I said above, admittedly needs work on pass pro and reps with blitz pick up. Every line needs that brawler, and I think he is that...

Plenty. He is a bull in the run game. Especially in our zone scheme, size will be fine. He was an upgrade over the Paulsens, who are huge obviously double him(sarcasm). Roster says 6’2 290. So probably really 6’1 or so and if he can really be around 290-295, he can use leverage as he is a powerhouse. Like I said above, admittedly needs work on pass pro and reps with blitz pick up. Every line needs that brawler, and I think he is that...
I hope you are right.

Don’t forget my favorite, Schott. He is a bull. Just needs more reps pass pro...

On the OL we can write Linderbaum in pen at center. As a redshirt frosh he had a good season and will only get better.

At guard Schott is in, If Banwart can finally get healthy he will fight Britt for the other spot.

Tackles are Jackson and Kallenberger with Cronk right there to challenge Mark. Plumb and Ince provide good depth, among others.

Just to state the obvious, this could be our best offensive line in .................... a long time. not sure when we last had a great O line, but I want to say 2008 and 2009. I do not expect the reincarnation of Shone Greene, but somebody like Adam Robinson would surely be welcome. Robinson was one of my favorites. just a guy that came out of nowhere to be a very tough runner. we need another one like him in 2020 to go with this vaunted O line.

Just to state the obvious, this could be our best offensive line in .................... a long time. not sure when we last had a great O line, but I want to say 2008 and 2009. I do not expect the reincarnation of Shone Greene, but somebody like Adam Robinson would surely be welcome. Robinson was one of my favorites. just a guy that came out of nowhere to be a very tough runner. we need another one like him in 2020 to go with this vaunted O line.
Between six guys ... the line returns guys with a combined 108 starts (using that Cronk has 40 career starts, if I remember correctly). If that collective experience translates to the field ... that could be a very good thing indeed!

On the OL we can write Linderbaum in pen at center. As a redshirt frosh he had a good season and will only get better.

At guard Schott is in, If Banwart can finally get healthy he will fight Britt for the other spot.

Tackles are Jackson and Kallenberger with Cronk right there to challenge Mark. Plumb and Ince provide good depth, among others.

I will be shocked if Cronk doesn't start at RT. With 40 starts at Indy, don't think he came here to just challenge for playing time.

If you watch san Fran..they use iso and gap blocking scheme as well...they mix up the different run blocks very well. Thats the part KF can't figure out.
100% Correct. As you stated, SF is very diversified in their run game schemes which makes it difficult for teams to load the box. We in turn, have a history of inviting teams to load the box with no penalty for doing so. I did like what BF showed in the Holiday Bowl and hope he continues to move that direction. Absolutely nothing wrong with using the passing game to set up the run.

As with anyone returning from injury the key will be how close to 100 percent will he be.
Having another experienced o line piece is always going to be a plus as it usually is the most likely position to get hurt.

I feel better knowing we have one more experienced lineman in front of a new starter at QB. I feel comfortable knowing the best 5 will play and if Coy is a big run blocker that will be important to help what has been a less than stellar run game.

The main issue that must be addressed in 2020 is fixing the problems we had on the interior of the offensive line. With Jackson returning and Cronk transferring in we are set at the tackles. If we can get the injured people back and healthy, we not only have the problems solved, we might be looking at the best OL in the last five years.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT