Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Bowen

Votes: 79 32.5%
  • CMac

Votes: 21 8.6%
  • Someone else

Votes: 15 6.2%

• Total voters
I think Joe starts and does reasonably well. He developed a nice mid range shot this year. Give him some time to adjust to playing with Perkins and they should compliment each other. I can’t name the last time Iowa had two guards capable of getting to the hole on their own. And they both defend.

Bowen is a wildcard. His film looks smooth and he was Frans first choice when recruiting. If he’s as good as I suspect, he will get a lot of minutes.

What's the skinny on Dasonte?

He might not be starting the first game but don't be surprised if he is eventually.

This video was posted on Dec 19, 2021.

Dasonte has a really nice handle. He can hit the 3, the mid range jumper, or take it to the basket.

He blows by opponents as he drives to the basket for either a lay up or a pull up, mid range jumper.

As he drives to the basket, he creates great assist opportunities for his teammates.

He's a good on ball defender.

He's going to fit in perfectly with Fran's up and down system.

Watch here:

Game 1 starters seem quite likely to be:
JT
Perkins
PMac
Kris
Rebraca

End of game lineup you remove Rebraca and replace with a better ball handler and free throw shooter.

By Game 30 maybe you'll see Bowen starting and JT coming first guy off the bench like this year, assuming Bowen is taking care of the ball.

Youre pretty delusional if you think Bowen will be the starter day 1.
If Fran is sold on him he will. I don’t predict that, but we don’t know how good Fran thinks he is. Woodbury started from day one. I think Weiskamp did too?

Gesell and Clemmons were the only pgs on the team. JT started because of injuries. Very different than next year if Toussaint and Ulis return.

JT's starting duties have already been revoked twice and Ulis garnered zero minutes in the last game. It already looks like Dasonte is light years ahead of them in shooting capabilites.

Gesell and Clemmons were the only pgs on the team. JT started because of injuries. Very different than next year if Toussaint and Ulis return.
Not true, Devyn Marble was a point guard on the team with Gessell and Clemmons. Bohannon also started at point as a freshman.

Reactions: ObeseMuffins
I think it’s Joe Ts to lose….not that he couldn’t lose it at some point…..?
That sounds right to me. He will start when the season begins, and if we see the "Good Joe" more consistently, he probably will hang on to the job.

Not that Bowen couldn't still take it. Old timers might remember that Cal Wulfsberg led the B1G in assists as a junior, but the next season he eventually lost his starting PG job to Ronnie Lester. (And Wulfsberg was dating Lute's daughter.)

Assuming Keegan and CMac leave, everyone else returns, and no one is added, I think the depth chart looks like this to begin the season:

PG: JT/Bowen/Ulis
SG: Perkins/Ulis/Dix or Sandfort
SF: PMac/Sandfort
PF: KrisM/Rebraca/PMac
C: Rebraca/Josh or Riley

Last edited:
Youre pretty delusional if you think Bowen will be the starter day 1.
I know this is a pipe dream, but I hope the starter is a stud transfer or an All-American they snatch from the JUCO ranks.

Something.

Unless by some unforeseen miracle Keegan chooses to come back (lol), I’m having a hard time caring about Iowa basketball right now. I want to care, but nothing on paper suggests anything but significant regression will occur next year. As you rightly point out, Bowen (and Dix) won’t be ready to contribute significantly, all our guards outside of Kris (if he even comes back) will be average at best, and our front court will consist of PMac, Rebraca, Josh O, and Mulvey. Yuck.

• Haha
Reactions: HawkOn15
With Toussaint, Ulis, Perkins, and Bowen, I think you have four guys who are largely interchangeable. Fran has always liked the idea of playing two PGs together (or 2 guards with some PG skills).

And don’t forget Josh Dix. The injury creates a big question mark, but I think I’ve read that he is someone who is capable of brings the ball up the court as well.

All that said, the thing our backcourt will likely be lacking is a true 3-point threat. I wouldn’t be opposed to looking in the portal for that.

Reactions: CookyMonster
With Toussaint, Ulis, Perkins, and Bowen, I think you have four guys who are largely interchangeable. Fran has always liked the idea of playing two PGs together (or 2 guards with some PG skills).

And don’t forget Josh Dix. The injury creates a big question mark, but I think I’ve read that he is someone who is capable of brings the ball up the court as well.

All that said, the thing our backcourt will likely be lacking is a true 3-point threat. I wouldn’t be opposed to looking in the portal for that.
I think Payton will see time at the 2. He did this year. He has the makings of being a true point forward.

https://ia.varsitybound.com/sports/...per&idMetric=h2018111320225715bea39777bf4deca

Was 3rd in 4A in Assists per game and was the only guy in the top 15 to average less than 2 turnovers per game. 5.8 assists to 1.3 turnovers.

He had 4.3 assists to 1.1 turnovers the year before which was 12th in 4A.

Iowa’s going to have a lot of interchangeable parts at guard next year. The question is who steps up scoring wise. The overall floor game is mostly there with the guys we have.

Out of necessity. Cartwright was always hurt and we had no one else even capable of dribbling up the court against pressure.
Yes, that is important context. Even after MG and AC arrived, Devyn still played point occasionally when one or both freshmen weren't playing well.

JT, Gessell, and Clemmons - all freshmen starters...
But they didn't have two more experienced, 4* recruits ahead of them when they arrived. Joe T is a multi year starter. Ahron played well until late in the season.

Bowen is another example of a player whose recruiting profiles were downgraded after he committed to Iowa. ****ers. He's still coming in around 105 or so on ESPN national.

The highlight videos are great for evaluating a HS recruit's game. They aren't useful in projecting freshmen starting over seniors. What would Joe T's 5 minute highlight film of his Iowa career look like? Better than any HS player that's ever coming to Iowa.

This 2 min highlight clip makes me believe Bowen will start on Day 1. He's got a clean stroke. Reminds me of that kid from MSU - Cassius Winston. Would love to see more highlights from this upcoming summer.

looks like horrid competition - I do like his game. Its just not normal for a true freshman to step into major college hoops as a PG. Happy to be wrong.

No reason to think Bowen couldn't be the starter. Probably Joe T, if he sticks around. But as much as he's been in and out of that role, and with a very short leash during his entire career at Iowa, it's hard to say what Fran will do with him.

Reactions: Bulldogs1974
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT