ADVERTISEMENT

Fajitas

Do you order the fajitas?

• yes

Votes: 27 69.2%
  • no

Votes: 12 30.8%

• Total voters
There's a place in CF that does that too, and it's phenomenal. Greasy and delicious

Marc M Thank You GIF by Sick Animation

I used to have to go to Pappasito’s all the time while in Tejas. They used to give you a cooked poblano as the pepper in the fajitas. I use poblanos almost exclusively as the pepper in my home fajitas because of that.
Try lightly roasting the poblanos and or onions, it changes the flavor

I used to have to go to Pappasito’s all the time while in Tejas. They used to give you a cooked poblano as the pepper in the fajitas. I use poblanos almost exclusively as the pepper in my home fajitas because of that.
I was actually going to shout out that place.

Houston right?

I got full as shit on thrm.one night and thr next night we went to the seafood one.

Reactions: NDallasRuss
Personally, I'm a pass. Usually the only good part of fajitas are the sizzle on the way to the table. Otherwise, often dry and gotta do all the work myself. I am a pass. Usually much better items on the menu.
Im starting to notice a trend in your dining habits..

I was actually going to shout out that place.

Houston right?

I got full as shit on thrm.one night and thr next night we went to the seafood one.

Pappasitos is all over Tejas - and I’ve been I think to almost all of them over the years. Clients love that place for some reason. I mean, it’s fine, good actually…but if I lived there I’d be going to so many different places. Same with Pappadeaux.

If at a sit down restaurant, it is the only thing I get. Copious amounts of freshly stir fried steak, onions, and peppers, and I can build by own fajita with what I want in it. I don't see the point of ordering anything else, unless you want to go the deep fried angle of a chimichanga.
What's your go to mexican restaurant in Ankeny? I used to like Guadalajara, but now prefer Cancun. Wife and her family love Molcajete.

What's your go to mexican restaurant in Ankeny? I used to like Guadalajara, but now prefer Cancun. Wife and her family love Molcajete.
Keep reading the thread! Ours is Hidalgo. Sometimes we go to Cancun because it is closer. But Hidalgo is better.

Sometimes order them but the ones I make at home are better. Have to marinate the steak for at least 24 hours though. There's a Mexican market/butcher shop here that does marinated Arrachera (Sp?) that's pretty damn good for deciding on fajitas at home after work.
Pork green chile is my favorite but nobody does it right out here in Oregon so we have to get 20 pounds of roasted hatch green chiles and seal/freeze them the one time of year they come to Oregon.

Reactions: McLovin32
Sometimes order them but the ones I make at home are better. Have to marinate the steak for at least 24 hours though. There's a Mexican market/butcher shop here that does marinated Arrachera (Sp?) that's pretty damn good for deciding on fajitas at home after work.
Pork green chile is my favorite but nobody does it right out here in Oregon so we have to get 20 pounds of roasted hatch green chiles and seal/freeze them the one time of year they come to Oregon.
If you use pineapple juice as a tenderizer, you only need to do it for like an hour or two. Saves time on the marinating, and if you do it much longer it will actually make the steak mushy, in my experience.

Personally, I'm a pass. Usually the only good part of fajitas are the sizzle on the way to the table. Otherwise, often dry and gotta do all the work myself. I am a pass. Usually much better items on the menu.
Good fajitas aren't ever going to be dry. The steak is going to still be medium-rare to medium, and the chicken will be juicy.

Bad fajitas are sliced too thin, and the meat will be dried out like that.

If you use pineapple juice as a tenderizer, you only need to do it for like an hour or two. Saves time on the marinating, and if you do it much longer it will actually make the steak mushy, in my experience.
I'll have to remember that for a quick marinade! The no pic uses OJ, lemons, limes, seasonings, soy sauce (I think), cilantro, fresh garlic and a few others I'm sure I'm forgetting. I cube up the steak while she does the marinade

Reactions: Tenacious E
I'll have to remember that for a quick marinade! The no pic uses OJ, lemons, limes, seasonings, soy sauce (I think), cilantro, fresh garlic and a few others I'm sure I'm forgetting. I cube up the steak while she does the marinade
  • 2 cans pineapple juice (2 cups total)
  • 1 15oz. bottle low sodium soy sauce
  • 3 limes, juiced
  • 5 garlic cloves, pressed or smashed
  • 3 T. fresh cilantro, chopped fine (optional-for beauty)
  • 2-4 lbs. steak fajita meat (such as skirt steak, flank steak, tri-tip, sirloin, etc.)

Say what you will about them now, but when it was good, Chili's had great fajitas and very good black beans,

Stop going to Carlos O Kellys for mexican food.

Love myself some fajitas.
My band recorded a jingle (mimicking the one O’Kellys had at the time) that we sent to KRNA. It never made the air. I still have the cassette stashed away somewhere.

Carlos OKellys a Mexican cafe
I ate there last night and I have the runs today
I dunno what happened but it won’t go awaaayy!
Carlos Kelly’s shitty Mexican cafe. OLE!!!

Last edited:
Reactions: McLovin32
Fresh pineapple juice rules them all. Only 30 minutes needed for thin cuts, and two hours for thick cuts. I suppose longer for a big ol' chuck roast or something. But this warns about doing it too long or you get mushy broken down steak.

Hildago was great the first time we went and we'll below average the 2nd time. Haven't been back since then. Cancun always seems to be consistent.
We've only been a few times and it delivered. Cancun is always solid. I would say though that Cancun's ceiling is much lower than Hildalgo's (and the ambience is much worse), so I would rather chance Hidalgo's coming up short in a place with a cool vibe than have a sure thing which I know won't be as good as Hildago's best food.

• 2 cans pineapple juice (2 cups total)
  • 1 15oz. bottle low sodium soy sauce
  • 3 limes, juiced
  • 5 garlic cloves, pressed or smashed
  • 3 T. fresh cilantro, chopped fine (optional-for beauty)
  • 2-4 lbs. steak fajita meat (such as skirt steak, flank steak, tri-tip, sirloin, etc.)
That looks delicious.

Fresh pineapple juice rules them all. Only 30 minutes needed for thin cuts, and two hours for thick cuts. I suppose longer for a big ol' chuck roast or something. But this warns about doing it too long or you get mushy broken down steak.

Acids make great marinades for tough cuts but ya gotta be careful. They go from thick and meaty to soft pretty quick (that’s what she said)

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT