ADVERTISEMENT

2022 IOWA VOLLEYBALL

Disappointing to be up 23-19 in set 3, then lose that set and the next to go 1-3 for the match. I didn't think we were as crisp as we were against OK, I imagine the staff is not pleased. Still a chance to get a couple of W's in Ames, just not against the Clones. Replay is available on ESPN+

Odd uniforms for the Clones. Sleeveless jerseys, but with separate, color coordinated sleeves, presumably optional but looks like the whole team wears left and right sleeves. I don't get it, but then I don't get why some football players roll up their pants and jerseys, and leave their undershirts untucked.

Almost all the players left or were asked to leave after all the bad stuff of the past for this program. New coaches brought in practically a whole new team. Probably going to take some time. More than 3 weeks.

Reactions: Carlton
Hawks are 3-0 at home after a big win vs UNI. They dominated UNI in a big way. UNI just beat Iowa State in Ames.
Last year they won 6 games all season. This team just won their 6th game in the first 3 weeks of the season. Really impressive after losing several of the best players from that team.
The Big 10 now starts and wins will be really hard to come by, but I like how the team is improving.

I was very impressed with the win over UNI. The team was very disciplined and made very few errors. Of all the players I was really impressed with Urquhart. If he can recruit that good of a player to Tulane, I can’t wait to see what they bring in for Iowa.

Reactions: Fair Child
First big 10 game tonight at 6 PM versus Ohio State.

Sunday the game was moved from ESPN 2 to the regular ESPN channel. Noon versus Purdue. I hope the Iowa fans pack the arena for the TV exposure.

Reactions: FrankBurns00
Yeah. I do think the team has improved a lot, but the B10 is so damn tough in VB that our record might not show it this season.

Listening to the other 2 coaches who played Iowa this weekend they are extremely impressed with what the coaches are doing at Iowa. And the arena. National praise like Iowa has not seen after playing on ESPN. The announcers couldn’t say enough great things.

Reactions: CleteyColgate
Iowa just played #9 Minn on the road and played them really close. Nearly won set 2 and then beat the Gophers in Set 3. Team needs to keep improving and get a Big 10 win for some confidence. The fight is there.

Wow Iowa had #5 in the country Purdue beat but lost in 5. They had nice leads in 4 sets. The announcers and opposing coaches are extremely complimentary of what the Hawks are doing and the improvement. Would have been the biggest win in history.

Wow Iowa had #5 in the country Purdue beat but lost in 5. They had nice leads in 4 sets. The announcers and opposing coaches are extremely complimentary of what the Hawks are doing and the improvement. Would have been the biggest win in history.
Agreed, but man...the team really struggles at times.

The rebuild is not going to be quick.

Agreed, but man...the team really struggles at times.

The rebuild is not going to be quick.
Unfortunately their poorest B1G effort was during the most winnable B1G match. But they get another shot at them this weekend!

Iowa dominates all the stats and beats Indiana. showing real progress every time they play. 1st Big 10 win of the season. Losses to #5/7/9/11 ranked teams in country. And played them close.
Play national champion Wisconsin next Friday.

Reactions: BDJHawk
Looks like it’s a Gold out game this Friday vs Wisconsin. Hope it isn’t a red out with their fans coming. Anyone going?

Iowa was 0-56 vs Penn State. Pushed them to 5 sets (winning 2 sets for the first time in 30 years) but lost 13-15 in the final set. Iowa use to be an easy 0-3 team playing these ranked teams but now they are pushing all of them to the brink. What a great improvement in such a short time.

Reactions: GOHOX69
Iowa was 0-56 vs Penn State. Pushed them to 5 sets (winning 2 sets for the first time in 30 years) but lost 13-15 in the final set. Iowa use to be an easy 0-3 team playing these ranked teams but now they are pushing all of them to the brink. What a great improvement in such a short time.
I love your positive outlook! Hopefully they will “break through” soon.

Well if you’ve watched this program at all it is extremely clear they have made huge improvements. The Wisconsin coach said it is “shocking” how quick Iowa has improved. The Purdue coach was also very impressed.

Reactions: GOHOX69
Unbelievable and impressive five set victory by the Hawks over Michigan tonight!! A terrible first set loss, lost the second but playing better then looked great taking the next three. Congratulations Hawkeyes!

Reactions: Hawkalumni7
Iowa last beat Michigan in 2010!!!
Incredible to watch this team play so hard each game and come up short but never quit. Says a lot. When they get more talent big things are coming. The freshman Washington really came out and played great. The way they all pull together, players and coaches, is fun to watch. Crowd was great too! Xtream has turned into a really great venue for volleyball.

Volleyball owns the state of Michigan!! Back to back wins!!! One at home vs Michigan and one on the road vs Michigan State.
First time to get double digit wins since 2018.
I see a lot of promise in this new program.

Reactions: BDJHawk and mehawk
Always sweet to beat the Michigan teams in any sport. Well done. Next Year Nebraska!

I think this article nailed it. You could see real competitive change immediately with this team. All the way through the season.
The effort, teamwork, fight and discipline was on display no matter the score.

Reactions: BDJHawk
Big Ten has five of the 16 teams in the Sweet 16 of the NCAA VB Tournament. Four of these teams are playing each other in this round. One region lacked any Big Ten teams at all. It seems like the NCAA bracket annually sets up Big Ten teams to knock each other out in the tourney. I feel like there could be three or even four in the Final Four every year.

Texas Regional
#1 Texas vs. #4 Marquette
#2 Minnesota vs. #3 Ohio State

Stanford Regional
#1 Stanford vs. #5 Houston
#2 San Diego vs. #3 Kentucky

Wisconsin Regional
#1 Wisconsin vs. #4 Penn State
#2 Pittsburgh vs. #3 Florida

Louisville Regional
#1 Louisville vs. #4 Baylor
#2 Nebraska vs. #3 Oregon

Big Ten has five of the 16 teams in the Sweet 16 of the NCAA VB Tournament. Four of these teams are playing each other in this round. One region lacked any Big Ten teams at all. It seems like the NCAA bracket annually sets up Big Ten teams to knock each other out in the tourney. I feel like there could be three or even four in the Final Four every year.

Texas Regional
#1 Texas vs. #4 Marquette
#2 Minnesota vs. #3 Ohio State

Stanford Regional
#1 Stanford vs. #5 Houston
#2 San Diego vs. #3 Kentucky

Wisconsin Regional
#1 Wisconsin vs. #4 Penn State
#2 Pittsburgh vs. #3 Florida

Louisville Regional
#1 Louisville vs. #4 Baylor
#2 Nebraska vs. #3 Oregon
Conference teams should never meet until the Regional finals.

The Big 10 is an absolute beast of a volleyball league. 5 teams still in. The next best league has 2. I predict Wisconsin wins and goes back to back.

I like your prediction! PSU is an excellent team and it’s too bad they or the Badgers will be eliminated this early into the Tournament.
The B1G is becoming the premier conference where the best collegiate women want to compete and win in Volleyball.

Texas has shown what NCAA sports is turning into. Half the Texas women who played in the Championship match were transfers. UT assembled (bought) a national championship via the transfer portal. A program like Texas never has to recruit a freshman again if they don't want to. It's becoming harder and harder to be a fan of collegiate sports.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT