ADVERTISEMENT

2022 Recruiting (1 Scholarship Left): Jaxon Kohler & Josh Dix VISITED Sep3, Tyler Nickel Sep17. Aidan Shaw VISITED Jun23. Kyle Filipowski to Duke

Reed Bailey committed to Davidson tonight. A couple of crystal balls popped up over the last few days so not a total surprise.

Iowa offered Josh Dix on April 21, 2021.

He took an Unofficial Visit to IOWA on June 8, 2021.

On June 8, 2021
Tom Kakert forecasted Josh to IOWA.

On Sep 3 Josh takes his Official Visit to IOWA.

If North Carolina lands 4 Star SF, Cam Whitmore, Iowa's chances of landing 4 Star SF Tyler Nickel increase.

Note, however, that one Rivals Publisher has Whitmore heading to Maryland.

Check it out.

E7lXrZCXsAILfem

Riley Mulvey and Dasonte Bowen have already made 2022 a nice class.

Adding Tyler Nickel & Josh Dix to finalize the class would be icing on the cake.

Mulvey is eligible this season. Bowen next. If you look at other B1G schools, we are just falling further behind at least half of them on the recruiting trail. I hope McCaffery has better luck ahead as I am tired of seeing all these kids he identified and offered early commit elsewhere. I know he is casting a wide net, but you would think he might snag at least one four* recruit every season because several other conference schools are adding more than one annually.

Last edited:
Reactions: BirdistheWord
Ronman, I know you are not, but you sound like you're new to Iowa basketball recruiting

No, I'm not. I've been around a long time. I'm just really tired of following all these recruiting threads that end with the kid committing elsewhere. McCaffery has had some success here. He has brought in four star recruits in the past and he turned out what should have been a two time NPOY. We were in the top ten most of last season. Why can't this staff sell these things to potential recruits? We need to try something or someone different. Tired of all the "Blessed to receive an offer from Iowa," but no thanks. Just very frustrating.

No, I'm not. I've been around a long time. I'm just really tired of following all these recruiting threads that end with the kid committing elsewhere. McCaffery has had some success here. He has brought in four star recruits in the past and he turned out what should have been a two time NPOY. We were in the top ten most of last season. Why can't this staff sell these things to potential recruits? We need to try something or someone different. Tired of all the "Blessed to receive an offer from Iowa," but no thanks. Just very frustrating.
Yeah but Reed wasn’t a realistic commit. The only extent of his interest was his relationship with Cook. I think we have a shot with all of Shaw, Nickel, and Dix. If we can get two of the three it’ll be a successful class

I’ve not heard anything recently about Wessler either way. Is he still having any interest in the Hawkeyes?

We just are not relevant nationally. It pains me but its true. We are up against or losing to programs like Michigan, UNC, Duke and Kansas, very difficult. We just never seem to land the elite 4 star athlete, or else it is extremely rare. Even landing this every other year would be huge.
When I look at Michigan, UNC, Duke or Kansas….Being up against them or losing to them does NOT say that we aren’t nationally relevant. They go up against and lose to each other. Relevant is ambiguous enough that identifying the parameters to frame what constitutes national relevance can change depending upon who’s using it.

This last season we were certainly relevant on a National level…big time games and ratings. When it comes to recruiting there are east coast guys who knew all about Garza and the Hawks….

Would I like to see us land more highly rated recruits? Of course! But the addition of Bowen to next year’s squad the possibility of Dix and Nickel….with this current roster is very intriguing.

That team should have a number of highly athletic and skilled players…

We just are not relevant nationally. It pains me but its true. We are up against or losing to programs like Michigan, UNC, Duke and Kansas, very difficult. We just never seem to land the elite 4 star athlete, or else it is extremely rare. Even landing this every other year would be huge.
I think this National Relevance is a legitimate consideration….don’t want my last post to be misinterpreted. What I think is that these young recruits…they are so young that maybe only the last 2 or 3 years are what grabs most of their attention from a National perspective. SO, again I think we were relevant this last year but maybe it takes a two or three year stretch to really get traction with the group of top 50 kids who aren’t home state guys?

I think this National Relevance is a legitimate consideration….don’t want my last post to be misinterpreted. What I think is that these young recruits…they are so young that maybe only the last 2 or 3 years are what grabs most of their attention from a National perspective. SO, again I think we were relevant this last year but maybe it takes a two or three year stretch to really get traction with the group of top 50 kids who aren’t home state guys?
it'll take this coaching staff getting Iowa to the Sweet 16 or beyond. Until then it's going to be tough sledding.

Only 1 school can win on every kid's recruitment. That's what sucks about recruiting. No school is ever going to get all of their 4 star targets.

Fran has won twice so far in the 2022 cycle. He got a 4 star PG in Dasonte Bowen to commit. He got a 3 star center in Riley Mulvey to commit. And, yes, Riley counts in the 2022 cycle, even though he later reclassified to 2021.

Side note: Iowa does not hand out bags of cash and they don't hire hookers; if they did, they'd probably land everyone. ;)

Why can't Iowa get every recruit?

Rivals is interesting. A couple points:

* Josh Dix still hasn't been rated; is he really a 0 Star? ;)

* Reed Bailey has committed to Davidson; Rivals still lists him as undecided. Iowa, of course, offered Reed on May 8, 2021. Reed plays at the same High School as 2022 PG Dasonte Bowen.

The original post has been updated.

Quick Summary:

Iowa has made 30 offers in the 2022 Class.

have committed (Dasonte, Riley)
16 Committed to another school
12 are still Undecided

As you can see from the original post,

Here are the 16 Offered but Committed Elsewhere:

Trejuan Holloman (Offered July 2, 2019)
PG, 6'2", St. Paul, MN
--COMMITTED to Michigan State on 8/7/2021

Tarris Reed (Offered Oct 14, 2020)
C, 6'8", 220, St Louis, MO

Same HS as Tyler Cook

--COMMITTED to Michigan on 8/5/2021

AJ Storr (Offered May 25, 2021)
SG, 6'6", 200, Chandler, AZ
AAU teammates with 2022 PG Richard Isaacs Jr.
--COMMITTED to St John's on 8/4/2021

Reed Bailey (Offered May 8, 2021)
PF, 6'10", 205, Wolfeboro, NH
Plays at same High School as 2022 PG Dasonte Bowen
--COMMITTED to Davidson on 8/4/2021

Alex Karaban (Offered May 4, 2021)
SF, 6'8", 210, New Hampton, NH

Alex plays on the Expressions Elite AAU team with Dasonte Bowen (2022 PG Commit), Reed Bailey (2022 PF, who Iowa offered) and Taylor Bowen (2023 prospect Iowa has offered).

--COMMITTED to UConn on 8/2/2021

11. Kyle Filipowski (Offered June 18, 2020)

PF, 6'9", 215, Wilbraham, MA

Visited Jul 1 & 2, 2021

--COMMITTED to Duke on 7/29/2021

D. Watson-Saulsberry (Offered Sep 29, 2020)
SF, 6'7", 190, Minneapolis, MN
--COMMITTED to Iowa State on 7/26/2021

9. Donovan Clingan (Offered April 9, 2020)

C, 7'0", 240, Bristol, CT

His final 8 schools as of Apr 26, 2021 were : Syracuse, UConn, Michigan, Ohio State, Rutgers, Georgetown, Providence, Notre Dame

--COMMITTED to UConn on 7/2/2021

Kam Craft (Offered April 28, 2021)
SG, 6'6", 185, Buffalo Grove, IL

He visited Iowa on June 17, 2021

--COMMITTED to Xavier on 7/1/2021

Seth Trimble (Offered April 26, 2021)
PG, 6'3", 185, Menomonee Falls, WI
--COMMITTED to UNC on 6/23/2021

6. Camden Heide (Offered July 4, 2019)

SF, 6'5", 175, Wayzata, MN
--COMMITTED to Purdue on 6/15/2021

Will Shaver (Offered Dec 21, 2020)
C, 6'10, 245, Birmingham, AL
--COMMITTED to UNC on 6/2/2021

4. Eli King (Offered June 23, 2020)

PG, 6'1", 160, Caledonia, MN
--COMMITTED to Iowa State on 4/20/2021

Joe Hurlburt (Offered June 23, 2020)
C, 6'10", 220, Enderlin, ND
--COMMITTED to Colorado on 3/29/2021

2. Isaac McKneely (Offered June 15, 2020)

SG, 6'4", 175, Poca, WV
--COMMITTED to Virginia on 1/30/2021

1. Logan Landers (Offered July 9, 2020)

C, 6'9", 215, Cedarburg, WI
--COMMITTED to K-State on 10/30/2020

Rivals appears to value the football side of things more…my guess is that is where there’s more fans and therefore more money. Basketball recruiting coverage appears to take a back seat and Rivals often lags (examples cited by Fran above).

Reactions: hooper56
Yeah but Reed wasn’t a realistic commit. The only extent of his interest was his relationship with Cook. I think we have a shot with all of Shaw, Nickel, and Dix. If we can get two of the three it’ll be a successful class

Your statements I put in bold are based on hindsight and no evidence.

Tarris was a "realistic commit" less than 10 months ago, on Oct 14, 2020, when Iowa offered. Tarris had not blown up yet, so Iowa was very much a realistic option for Tarris.

You also wrote that the ONLY extent of his interest in Iowa was because of his connection to Tyler Cook (both went to the same high school). Frankly, you don't know that. I would think that Fran's style of play, among many other things, also interested him.

The extent of his interest in Iowa beyond Tyler Cook was such that he scheduled a virtual meeting with Fran on Nov 9, 2020.

More evidence from March 8 (just 5 months ago) that Tarris was still a "realistic commit" and that the extent of his interest in Iowa went beyond Tyler Cook: “I speak with Coach Dillard and Coach McCaffery a lot. They’ve been playing well these past couple of games. I’m building a solid relationship with them."

It was not until March 2, 2021 (5 months after Iowa offered) that Michigan was reportedly interested. Michigan finally offered Tarris on April 29. Tarris committed to Michigan just over 3 months after that, on Aug 5.

And contrary to your opinion, I think the 2 players we have added in the 2022 cycle (Riley and Dasonte) already make it a successful class. And now, we have just 2 scholarships to hand out. And moving forward? Josh Dix is likely an Iowa commit (I have been saying that since early June). And the last of the 2 remaining scholarships doesn't necessarily have to go to Shaw or Nickel to make this class even more successful.

The last scholarship, if not Shaw or Nickel, could go to:

(1) Patrick Wessler , who Iowa offered May 11, 2021.

He is the Center, 7'0", 250, from Matthews, NC.

@Hawksfinal4 , Patrick plans to visit this fall for a football game.

(2) Braden Huff , who Iowa offered July 25, 2021.

Braden is UNRATED (c'mon, Rivals!), a PF, 6'9", 200, from Glen Ellyn, IL

(3) Jaxon Kohler, who Iowa offered July 19, 2021.

He is a 4 Star Center, 6'8", 210, from American Fork, UT.

Last edited:
Reactions: BlackNGoldBleeder
Your statements I put in bold are based on hindsight and no evidence.

Tarris was a "realistic commit" less than 10 months ago, on Oct 14, 2020, when Iowa offered. Tarris had not blown up yet, so Iowa was very much a realistic option for Tarris.

You also wrote that the ONLY extent of his interest in Iowa was because of his connection to Tyler Cook (both went to the same high school). Frankly, you don't know that. I would think that Fran's style of play, among many other things, also interested him.

The extent of his interest in Iowa beyond Tyler Cook was such that he scheduled a virtual meeting with Fran on Nov 9, 2020.

More evidence from March 8 (just 5 months ago) that Tarris was still a "realistic commit" and that the extent of his interest in Iowa went beyond Tyler Cook: “I speak with Coach Dillard and Coach McCaffery a lot. They’ve been playing well these past couple of games. I’m building a solid relationship with them."

It was not until March 2, 2021 (5 months after Iowa offered) that Michigan was reportedly interested. Michigan finally offered Tarris on April 29. Tarris committed to Michigan just over 3 months after that, on Aug 5.

And contrary to your opinion, I think the 2 players we have added in the 2022 cycle (Riley and Dasonte) already make it a successful class. And now, we have just 2 scholarships to hand out. And moving forward? Josh Dix is likely an Iowa commit (I have been saying that since early June). And the last of the 2 remaining scholarships doesn't necessarily have to go to Shaw or Nickel to make this class even more successful.

The last scholarship, if not Shaw or Nickel, could go to:

(1) Patrick Wessler , who Iowa offered May 11, 2021.

He is the Center, 7'0", 250, from Matthews, NC.

@Hawksfinal4 , Patrick plans to visit this fall for a football game.

(2) Braden Huff , who Iowa offered July 25, 2021.

Braden is UNRATED (c'mon, Rivals!), a PF, 6'9", 200, from Glen Ellyn, IL

(3) Jaxon Kohler, who Iowa offered July 19, 2021.

He is a 4 Star Center, 6'8", 210, from American Fork, UT.

Could not care less. TLDR

Then get the f#ck out of this thread and STFU. JFC, I can't believe how many sorry ass douchebags on this board feel the need to post stupid, inane drivel about @Franisdaman's posts. I, like many others on here, appreciate his insight and recruiting info.

If you don't, cool. No one is asking you to be here, you little bitch. Bye.
Lol maybe you should look at what Fran was responding to before you get all hot and bothered. I was minding my own business and engaging with Ronman before Fran got after me. It’s not like I went out of my way to go after Fran. Quite the opposite, and I’m tired of having conversations with him because they always end up with him calling me names, and picking out individual pieces of my posts to respond to. It’s tiring and I’m done with it

Thanks for your two cents though

Edit: missed the little bitch part. Not little, not a bitch, not afraid of somebody who talks shit like you online

Last edited:
Reactions: skydog0784
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT