ADVERTISEMENT

****2023-24 Chicago Bears Thread 🏆 ****

Not a fan of this...

Bears signed TE Cole Kmet to a four-year, $50 million contract extension.
The deal, per ESPN’s Adam Schefter, includes a whopping $32.8 million guaranteed. It’s quite the contract for a tight end who managed just 50 receptions in 2022, his third season with Chicago. The team values Kmet’s blocking ability, which means he should see plenty of playing time in 2023. His place in the team’s pass-catching pecking order and the run-first nature of the Bears offense mean Kmet will, at best, be a streaming tight end option in 12-team formats. Robert Tonyan could cut into Kmet’s route running participation this season.

Reactions: blhawk
My biggest concern is that Fields will try to prove himself as a passer and not use his best weapon as often (his running ability). That being said, they've improved the roster at pretty much every position. I'm going to predict 10-7 and a wild card birth.

My biggest concern is that Fields will try to prove himself as a passer and not use his best weapon as often (his running ability). That being said, they've improved the roster at pretty much every position. I'm going to predict 10-7 and a wild card birth.
Yes, they have improved the roster, but they don't have much depth at many positions, that will come in time. I don't think they are a playoff team. I agree about seeing improvement from Fields as a passer, there has to be significant improvement throwing the ball.

Reactions: cigaretteman
9-8 if they sign a legit pass rusher this week. I really like the approach they took to building a roster, but they were so deficient in so many areas it's hard to plug the gaps. If Teven Jenkins actually stays healthy and is productive at LG this season it's a huge plus. I was heartened by Olin Kreutz on the Score last week when he talked about working with Braxton Jones in the Spring, and how driven he is to succeed. He was physically overmatched at times, but Kreutz also mentioned there were fundamentals that Jones is working on that will make him a better pass protector. The offensive line wasn't Iowa Hawkeyes bad last season, but it was close. If they are competent they are a 9 win team in the NFC North.

Not a fan of this...

Bears signed TE Cole Kmet to a four-year, $50 million contract extension.
The deal, per ESPN’s Adam Schefter, includes a whopping $32.8 million guaranteed. It’s quite the contract for a tight end who managed just 50 receptions in 2022, his third season with Chicago. The team values Kmet’s blocking ability, which means he should see plenty of playing time in 2023. His place in the team’s pass-catching pecking order and the run-first nature of the Bears offense mean Kmet will, at best, be a streaming tight end option in 12-team formats. Robert Tonyan could cut into Kmet’s route running participation this season.
I’m good with it. In a couple years he’ll be paid about 15th. Solid move. Reward your own guys.

9-8 if they sign a legit pass rusher this week. I really like the approach they took to building a roster, but they were so deficient in so many areas it's hard to plug the gaps. If Teven Jenkins actually stays healthy and is productive at LG this season it's a huge plus. I was heartened by Olin Kreutz on the Score last week when he talked about working with Braxton Jones in the Spring, and how driven he is to succeed. He was physically overmatched at times, but Kreutz also mentioned there were fundamentals that Jones is working on that will make him a better pass protector. The offensive line wasn't Iowa Hawkeyes bad last season, but it was close. If they are competent they are a 9 win team in the NFC North.
They were great run blockers. Pass pro? Blechh.

I like the kmet signing. He's young and ascending and I like what he and fields started to accomplish together last year, especially in the red zone. Would have liked to see them add a DE by now but I think they're hoping for a quality veteran to come available when roster cuts get finalized... but the good ones rarely come available.
If fields takes a noticeable step forward and we flirt with.500 I'll be happy.

Reactions: NewVicHawkeye
Pass rush help is on the way. Yannick Ngakoue appears to be ready to report. I like this deal. $10 million guaranteed, but they have lots of cap space and it is only for one year.

Reactions: hawkeyez
Pass rush help is on the way. Yannick Ngakoue appears to be ready to report. I like this deal. $10 million guaranteed, but they have lots of cap space and it is only for one year.
Good move, not blocking anyone’s development. Weird that he’s been productive yet on the move so much. Oh well, just get to the qb.

Good move, not blocking anyone’s development. Weird that he’s been productive yet on the move so much. Oh well, just get to the qb.
That was the analysis on The Score this morning. He's a rush the QB guy, not a well rounded defensive lineman. Which, is okay for this year. The Bears were led in sacks by a safety last year, so this is a good signing.

Barrington Wade breaks up a game winning pass in the end zone as time expires...Bears win!

Oline still a massive concern for me. Nate Davis was available bc the Titans weren't happy with his desire to play thru minor injuries, and now he has barely practiced. Wright will be good but he's still a rookie. Braxton Jones wasn't good last year, Jenkins is injury prone, and whitehair is just a guy, and sucked snapping in the past. Have a feeling fields will be running for his life again this year.

The Chicago Tribune reports Bears LG Teven Jenkins is questionable for Week 1 with a leg injury.

Bears media is unsure when Jenkins could have suffered the injury, hinting it may have occurred away from the team. Jenkins could reportedly miss up to an entire month of the regular season. It would be a horrendous development for an offensive line the Bears are hoping takes a step forward in 2023. Jenkins is by far the most critical cog.

Does Tyson Bagent make the team? He's looked better than PJ Walker and Peterman in the preseason.

I've been pleasantly surprised by our pass rush in the first two preseason games. Hopefully that carries over into the regular season!

Reactions: Bro D
This is our year boyz!

Fields leads us to 11-6
Queens with choke as usual 9-8
Lions defense will hold them back 8-9
Packers will suck without with Sharon Rodgers 2-15
So the Packers go 0-15 outside of playing the Bears? Not likely.

The Chicago Tribune reports Bears LG Teven Jenkins is questionable for Week 1 with a leg injury.

Bears media is unsure when Jenkins could have suffered the injury, hinting it may have occurred away from the team. Jenkins could reportedly miss up to an entire month of the regular season. It would be a horrendous development for an offensive line the Bears are hoping takes a step forward in 2023. Jenkins is by far the most critical cog.
Great. Didn't realize my post would be so prophetic but seems like Jenkins is bound to be one of those guys that can't stay healthy.

Does Tyson Bagent make the team? He's looked better than PJ Walker and Peterman in the preseason.

I've been pleasantly surprised by our pass rush in the first two preseason games. Hopefully that carries over into the regular season!
He better bc he won't make it thru waivers to get back on the practice squad. Bellichek will gobble him up in a heartbeat.

Reactions: hawkeyez

He's like Eloy Jimenez...can't stay healthy.

Reactions: lucas80
He's like Eloy Jimenez...can't stay healthy.
Top 5 run blocker last year, but he's brittle.
Still, the 0-line looks to be much better now that Nate Davis is practicing and Lucas Patrick appears to be healthy. If nothing else the depth of the line is much better.

Reactions: Tom Paris

It's a fascinating question. A lot of crapping on his record in college because he was a D2 player, but he certainly look like he could be a decent back up if nothing else. I suspect he wouldn't take a practice squad assignment with the Bears. Some team will take a chance on him if the Bears don't

Reactions: Bro D
A lot of crapping on his record in college because he was a D2 player

Outside maybe the best 3 WRs, best RB, and 4 DEs that made you piss your pants....nobody from a smaller school is ever successful in the NFL.

Facts.

(Ignore the other, not referenced, 46 Hall of Famers that didn't play major college ball)

Outside maybe the best 3 WRs, best RB, and 4 DEs that made you piss your pants....nobody from a smaller school is ever successful in the NFL.

Facts.

(Ignore the other, not referenced, 46 Hall of Famers that didn't play major college ball)
Full disclosure. Any NFL DE running at me would make me piss my pants.

Reactions: ZachJump
OL is scary.. poles not drafting a center looks to be a mistake. On a positive note, I think Ojemudia is going to make the roster

Reactions: Tom Paris
Yes, they have improved the roster, but they don't have much depth at many positions, that will come in time. I don't think they are a playoff team. I agree about seeing improvement from Fields as a passer, there has to be significant improvement throwing the ball.

I’m optimistic now that he has a solid group of receivers to throw to, he arguably had better receivers at Ohio state than he did his first two years in the NFL.

NFL network blacked out for bears here in NW Iowa....mthfvckers

Live in ankeny, every single preseason game was blacked out for me.

Last edited:
Curious what happens at RB. I think they may cut Foreman since they like the kid from Texas so much. Not sure they'd keep 4 RBs and Homer looks to be a stud ST player/pass catcher. Would open a spot for another OL with as banged up as they are

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT