ADVERTISEMENT

2025 MBB Recruiting Thread

Solid list of quality visitors in August and September. Most have very good lists of suitors. Several may commit elsewhere before their Iowa visits dates. If Fran can close on a couple, the 25 class could be very good.

and remember; this class is going to be around 3 or 4 high school prospects

One curious thing about this class is that there are 10 visitors scheduled for August-October and none of them is a point guard. There is a huge need for one with Harding being the only point guard on the roster for the 2025-26 squad.

The staff watched Dietrich Richardson a lot over the past several months. I wonder if we hear something soon on that front.

One curious thing about this class is that there are 10 visitors scheduled for August-October and none of them is a point guard. There is a huge need for one with Harding being the only point guard on the roster for the 2025-26 squad.

The staff watched Dietrich Richardson a lot over the past several months. I wonder if we hear something soon on that front.
What about Mosely? Is he not a PG?

What about Mosely? Is he not a PG?
I’ve never seen Mosley listed as anything other than a shooting guard. It’s possible the staff thinks he can be a lead guard, but I haven’t seen any of the recruiting sites projecting him as such.

I’ve never seen Mosley listed as anything other than a shooting guard. It’s possible the staff thinks he can be a lead guard, but I haven’t seen any of the recruiting sites projecting him as such.
Whelp they offered Mitchell today. Same school Ahneman will play for this fall.

Edit: He's a 2026 recruit so I should have posted there.

Last edited:
Koehler - from Indianapolis has offer from Notre Dame
Gihool - from Philly has offer from Alabama
Walker - from Alabama has offer from Auburn
Thompson - from MN has offer from West Virginia

I think we land Thompson from this group. Solid 150ish type player.

Look at the kids Iowa is getting visits from. It’s an impressive list. Those kids wouldn’t be visiting Iowa City unless the Hawkeye staff had some competitive compensation to offer.

How many they’ll get commits from is anyone’s guess, but they’re getting the attention of some impressive players.
Coaches have done a great job of getting visits from high-level recruits. If recruiting top players comes down to who will pay the most, I just don't see how Iowa lands them with very limited NIL$$, unless there is a special connection.

Reactions: LaQuintaHawkeye
Coaches have done a great job of getting visits from high-level recruits. If recruiting top players comes down to who will pay the most, I just don't see how Iowa lands them with very limited NIL$$, unless there is a special connection.
I don’t think Iowa was very limited NIL money anymore. I don’t think they’d be getting visits from the kids they’re getting visits from if the money wasn’t there. They’re not going to be getting the kids in the Top 40 who want $500k per year, but they appear to have the money to compete in the 50-150 rankings range.

Last edited:
Past visits from highly rated recruits were almost exclusively because there was a long-term connection with the recruit. Now the staff is getting visits from kids in the Top 100 they appear to have only been recruiting for a matter of weeks. Something changed. I think getting Garza and the Murrays into the NBA has helped, but I gotta believe the money side of things has improved.

I don’t think Iowa was very limited NIL money anymore. I don’t think they’d be getting visits from the kids they’re getting visits from if the money wasn’t there. They’re not going to be getting the kids in the Top 40 who want $500k per year, but they appear to have the money to compete in the 50-150 rankings range.
Good to hear. I don't know anything about NIL, but thought the vast majority at Iowa was going to FB.

Has anyone committed for next year? anyone?

High School GIF

Reactions: LaQuintaHawkeye
Has anyone committed for next year? anyone?

High School GIF
With fans like you, and I say that loosely, why in heck would any recruit come to Iowa that doesn't have connections to the Iowa program or to Fran. They can read too, you know.
You and your Fran haters continue to rail on Fran to leave or retire because he has not fulfilled your Iowa post season fancies yet in taking Iowa to the 2nd week of the NCAA tournament, boo hoo.
Now when it's apparent that Fran has no desire to retire at this time you and others on here, turn on the players hoping they fail and not contribute to a potentially successful year, and I'm saying POTENTIALLY, in hopes that forces Fran to retire or leave.
I understand we live in America and free speech and all, but your agenda is getting old and if I was a recruit why in heck would I want to come to Iowa with crappy fans like you.
Me, I'm 76 years old at the end of August, I can take the criticism for my point of view, so bring it on.
If you have posted on this board before as I have everyone has at one time or another been critical of players, usually it's during the season and that's understandable, but not before a season has even started, that's BS.

Last edited:
With fans like you, and I say that loosely, why in heck would any recruit come to Iowa that doesn't have connections to the Iowa program or to Fran. They can read too, you know.
You and your Fran haters continue to rail on Fran to leave or retire because he has not fulfilled your Iowa post season fancies yet in taking Iowa to the 2nd week of the NCAA tournament, boo hoo.
Now when it's apparent that Fran has no desire to retire at this time you and others on here, turn on the players hoping they fail and not contribute to a potentially successful year, and I'm saying POTENTIALLY, in hopes that forces Fran to retire or leave.
I understand we live in America and free speech and all, but your agenda is getting old and if I was a recruit why in heck would I want to come to Iowa with crappy fans like you.
Me, I'm 76 years old at the end of August, I can take the criticism for my point of view, so bring it on.
If you have posted on this board before as I have everyone has at one time or another been critical of players, usually it's during the season and that's understandable, but not before a season has even started, that's BS.
This post seems untethered from reality.

No recruit is reading these corny ass message boards. Period. This is strictly pale male and stale territory.

If Iowa misses on top 100 guys it will be because:

1) other schools pay more;......m
......... or
2) Iowa is perceived as an also ran, sleepy kind of program (because it is -- kids aren't generally excited about the idea of playing home games in a half empty venue, or being part of the second best program in a small state).

Playing for a geriatric coach who hasn't made the second weekend in his entire career is probably not a very exciting prospect either.

Have i criticized Fran? Yeah, probably for his piss poor defense. Do I critic our players, certainly. I expect great efforts & improvement from players year over year. And if they're too soft to take the heat then they shouldn't be in the D1 kitchen. Afterall, they're getting paid now & paid pretty damn well. But I'm certain you're one of the woke liberals on here who thinks everyone should get equal playing time & a participation trophy. I'd bet you're ok with men playing women's sports too.

But I haven't said anything about running Fran out the door. I know we could get another "Coach of the Year" from Butler type of coach again. All in all, Fran's not too shabby. Try to keep yourself busy washing BH & RM's jock straps & eating your Gov. Pritzker's billionaire's fat ass. Seems you have just a little too much time on your hands.

Drop The Mic GIF by In Real Life

Have i criticized Fran? Yeah, probably for his piss poor defense. Do I critic our players, certainly. I expect great efforts & improvement from players year over year. And if they're too soft to take the heat then they shouldn't be in the D1 kitchen. Afterall, they're getting paid now & paid pretty damn well. But I'm certain you're one of the woke liberals on here who thinks everyone should get equal playing time & a participation trophy. I'd bet you're ok with men playing women's sports too.

But I haven't said anything about running Fran out the door. I know we could get another "Coach of the Year" from Butler type of coach again. All in all, Fran's not too shabby. Try to keep yourself busy washing BH & RM's jock straps & eating your Gov. Pritzker's billionaire's fat ass. Seems you have just a little too much time on your hands.

You're Weird.

Reactions: flynnhicks03
Have i criticized Fran? Yeah, probably for his piss poor defense. Do I critic our players, certainly. I expect great efforts & improvement from players year over year. And if they're too soft to take the heat then they shouldn't be in the D1 kitchen. After all, they're getting paid now & paid pretty damn well. But I'm certain you're one of the woke liberals on here who thinks everyone should get equal playing time & a participation trophy. I'd bet you're ok with men playing women's sports too.

You guys that complain about Iowa's defense, just don't get it. Go back and look at the 1969/1970 Iowa season and tell me they played defense. Iowa averaged on offense 98. 7 points a game but gave up 87 points a game but still won the Big Ten Conference by going 14 and 0. Back then I'll bet defense was a major concern and every game was a sell out.
I can't imagine the constant bitching that would have gone on, if the internet was in place back then, you guys that complain about defense would have run Ralph Miller out of town, Oh wait, he saved you the trouble and abruptly left for Oregon St.
In his place Iowa hired their baseball coach Dick Schultz who took Iowa to new heights, NOT, and left after 4 years with a 41-56 record overall and 20-36 in the Big Ten, climbing no better then 6 place in the BT. You all would have loved that, RIGHT!
Guess what, his teams didn't play much defense either, just less offense.
When you play fast, you allow the opposition to get more shots up too, that's just the way it works. Fran will never change and I guess the constant bitching wont either and none of you will figure it out.
Enjoy the coming season, it may be the best in the McCaffery era, and like the end of 1970, Iowa may be indeed looking for a new coach. Will history repeat itself, we may find out sooner then later and as far a Brock Harding is concerned if given the minutes he could break the season record at Iowa of 205 assists, he's that good whether you want to accept it or not. The season is fast approaching. Carry on....

Last edited:
Reactions: perryhawk
You guys that complain about Iowa's defense, just don't get it. Go back and look at the 1969/1970 Iowa season and tell me they played defense. Iowa averaged on offense 98. 7 points a game but gave up 87 points a game but still won the Big Ten Conference by going 14 and 0. Back then I'll bet defense was a major concern and every game was a sell out.
I can't imagine the constant bitching that would have gone on, if the internet was in place back then, you guys that complain about defense would have run Ralph Miller out of town, Oh wait, he saved you the trouble and abruptly left for Oregon St.
In his place Iowa hired their baseball coach Dick Schultz who took Iowa to new heights, NOT, and left after 4 years with a 41-56 record overall and 20-36 in the Big Ten, climbing no better then 6 place in the BT. You all would have loved that, RIGHT!
Guess what, his teams didn't play much defense either, just less offense.
When you play fast, you allow the opposition to get more shots up too, that's just the way it works. Fran will never change and I guess the constant bitching wont either and none of you will figure it out.
Enjoy the coming season, it may be the best in the McCaffery era, and like the end of 1970, Iowa may be indeed looking for a new coach. Will history repeat itself, we may find out sooner then later and as far a Brock Harding is concerned if given the minutes he could break the season record at Iowa of 205 assists, he's that good whether you want to accept it or not. The season is fast approaching. Carry on....
So in your opinion Fran is above & beyond reproach and should never ever be criticized? You can play decent defense along with a high-powered offense. It's called coaching & sitting kids on the bench if they don't give effort. PMac comes to mind. Please go ahead and defend Fran's playing PMac ahead of the NBA bound Murray twins...

This isn't the 60's, let your rotary phone go ya old goat. Have you heard of the phrase "adapt or die"? How about "The times they are a changing"? Fran gets paid millions & should be thick skinned enough to take a few verbal jabs. He is from Philly after all. It's 2024 and these fan forums are a great place to allow fans to give thoughts & opinions. It seems you're a little thin skinned, maybe you should have your grandkids change the password on your computer and shut down for a while.

BTW, Brock couldn't break records at St. Ambrose. 3...2...1....your triggering is starting about now...

Cry About It Captain Kirk GIF

So in your opinion Fran is above & beyond reproach and should never ever be criticized? You can play decent defense along with a high-powered offense. It's called coaching & sitting kids on the bench if they don't give effort. PMac comes to mind. Please go ahead and defend Fran's playing PMac ahead of the NBA bound Murray twins...

This isn't the 60's, let your rotary phone go ya old goat. Have you heard of the phrase "adapt or die"? How about "The times they are a changing"? Fran gets paid millions & should be thick skinned enough to take a few verbal jabs. He is from Philly after all. It's 2024 and these fan forums are a great place to allow fans to give thoughts & opinions. It seems you're a little thin skinned, maybe you should have your grandkids change the password on your computer and shut down for a while.

BTW, Brock couldn't break records at St. Ambrose. 3...2...1....your triggering is starting about now...

Considering how bad St Ambrose has been in men’s basketball you might have picked a better choice for Brock to succeed with. Coe, Loras, Central, or Dubuque have had better success lately.

I didn't say that fans shouldn't be critical of Fran, he's deserved plenty of criticism over his 14 years, but after a season is over, I turn the page to a new season. He isn't leaving, If you don't like Fran that's your opinion and you have the right to express yourself, but there are no more McCaffery children on the roster and there's enough talent to on this years team to do something that hasn't happened at Iowa for 25 years whether you believe it or not. I will believe it until it doesn't happen, you can be a nonbeliever and be the miserable AH until the day you die.
But before you spout off about Brock and your opinion that he's not Big Ten material, you better hope he doesn't become a starter, it will make you look like a fool which most of us on here already know you are. Now spend the rest of the off season knowing the real Fran McCaffery could very well pick Brock as the starter this year. Hope it urns your stomach, an ulcer would do you good.

I didn't say that fans shouldn't be critical of Fran, he's deserved plenty of criticism over his 14 years, but after a season is over, I turn the page to a new season. He isn't leaving, If you don't like Fran that's your opinion and you have the right to express yourself, but there are no more McCaffery children on the roster and there's enough talent to on this years team to do something that hasn't happened at Iowa for 25 years whether you believe it or not. I will believe it until it doesn't happen, you can be a nonbeliever and be the miserable AH until the day you die.
But before you spout off about Brock and your opinion that he's not Big Ten material, you better hope he doesn't become a starter, it will make you look like a fool which most of us on here already know you are. Now spend the rest of the off season knowing the real Fran McCaffery could very well pick Brock as the starter this year. Hope it urns your stomach, an ulcer would do you good.
You kinda did

I think this is a talented roster. But a lot of inexperience. IF BH has taken a big leap & earns the starting position, I'll be very supportive. He has good handles, but over dribbles & stops the ball moving at times. His on the ball defense is weak & he forces other teammates to cover for him, creating mismatches and foul trouble on the bigs. He likes the flashy plays when the fundamental play would be more effective. Don't mistake the "wow" for greatness.

And you do realize the biggest reason I criticize him is on you don't you? You're the jock sniffing cheerleading over the top grandpa that thinks he walks on water and it is nauseating. Turn your pacemaker down a notch & try to be a little more objective.

• Haha
Reactions: flynnhicks03
I don’t remember Fran ever having this many top rated kids visiting this late in the recruiting season. Maybe it’s nothing, he still has to close, but it’s nice to see.

You kinda did

I think this is a talented roster. But a lot of inexperience. IF BH has taken a big leap & earns the starting position, I'll be very supportive. He has good handles, but over dribbles & stops the ball moving at times. His on the ball defense is weak & he forces other teammates to cover for him, creating mismatches and foul trouble on the bigs. He likes the flashy plays when the fundamental play would be more effective. Don't mistake the "wow" for greatness.

And you do realize the biggest reason I criticize him is on you don't you? You're the jock sniffing cheerleading over the top grandpa that thinks he walks on water and it is nauseating. Turn your pacemaker down a notch & try to be a little more objective.
You criticize me, because I am high on Brock Harding and pull for him to start because of his quickness, his vison, his allusiveness, his smarts, his leadership, and because he is from my home town, because he led my home town team to it's first state title and garnered the states Mr. Basketball honor. Everything that is good about college basketball. I don't get it.
I do consider it great honor that you call me a homer, I love it because I am, and will be as long as I'm alive, which is apparently against everything that you believe in. That's unfortunate that you are that small and narrow minded and against being a fan. Again, you fail to realize there are fans out here that enjoy following their favorite players and watch them compete and succeed, what a novel idea. You should try it.
Until the start of the season continue to be the jerk that you apparently relish in being. It fits you well.

Reactions: perryhawk
You criticize me, because I am high on Brock Harding and pull for him to start because of his quickness, his vison, his allusiveness, his smarts, his leadership, and because he is from my home town, because he led my home town team to it's first state title and garnered the states Mr. Basketball honor. Everything that is good about college basketball. I don't get it.
I do consider it great honor that you call me a homer, I love it because I am, and will be as long as I'm alive, which is apparently against everything that you believe in. That's unfortunate that you are that small and narrow minded and against being a fan. Again, you fail to realize there are fans out here that enjoy following their favorite players and watch them compete and succeed, what a novel idea. You should try it.
Until the start of the season continue to be the jerk that you apparently relish in being. It fits you well.
Listen up, I respect you being a homer. I really do. But you do realize you're going over the top with your expectations, don't you? Hell Troy Skinner led Palmer, Iowa HS to over 100 straight wins and I believe 4 straight HS state titles. He was probably one of the worst starting point guards in Iowa history.

I'm surprised you're not predicting Brock will enter the NBA draft next year & will be a surefire lottery pick. Enjoy him, celebrate him, but let's not make him out to be an All-American or all Big10 candidate. Maybe you should start a fund to build him a statue to place outside of Moline HS.

Listen up, I respect you being a homer. I really do. But you do realize you're going over the top with your expectations, don't you? Hell Troy Skinner led Palmer, Iowa HS to over 100 straight wins and I believe 4 straight HS state titles. He was probably one of the worst starting point guards in Iowa history.

I'm surprised you're not predicting Brock will enter the NBA draft next year & will be a surefire lottery pick. Enjoy him, celebrate him, but let's not make him out to be an All-American or all Big10 candidate. Maybe you should start a fund to build him a statue to place outside of Moline HS.
No, I don't believe Brock will ever see the NBA, and since you have little faith in his ability to lead Iowa, I guess it will be up to Harding to do the convincing.
I don't know if you were taking a crap when Brock was on the floor last year, but evidently you were amongst the few that didn't see Iowa's offense ran smother and was more efficient when he was in the game. That's OK In 3 months you'll have that opportunity to witness how good he is.
You're just making yourself the stupid ignorant old man that can't see greatness. 3 months to see who is right, my optimum or your negativity. Can't wait to find out the end result. Mike Drop!

Couple of comments on things flowing through this thread.

Related to attendance, are they working on the re-seating for this year or has that been bumped? (Needs to be done)

Next...seems like we would have a good story for a BB recruit regarding money if they really feel like they are the bomb. The example would be Caitlin Clark. She owned the state and much more. Money flowed....it took care of itself because of who CC was and her results. The bar is so much lower in mens BB at Iowa that SOMEONE can come in here and be the governor if they do indeed, have the talent....and the money will flow and the arena will fill. That is what I would be trying to sell some hotshot with the skills. Yes commit to some level of NIL today, but paint the picture for them on what WILL BE if they are "all that".

Reactions: beavis63
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT