ADVERTISEMENT

2025 MBB Recruiting Thread

From a national writer on another site, here is what Nate Ament had to say about Iowa:

Iowa: “That relationship is good. My guy Tristian Spurlock is over there and I have a great relationship with him. He’s a nice guy. I think I’m going to go watch a football game on my visit.”

Seems like Spurlock is doing a lot of recruiting for a glorified secretary ;).

Whatever happened to good 'ol Dean?

When I first brought up that Tristan Spurlock, Director of Player Development, has DMV connections and ties to the area, Dean jumped all over me.

Here's one of his many infamous posts:

Dude, Director of Player Development is just a ****ing title. Nothing more. They need to call his job something... that's what they selected. No high school kid, especially a high-level player, is selecting a college bc of the fifth or sixth assistant on the staff. Coach Spurlock is still a glorified secretary, just like Denning. They put together travel itinerary and contact hotels and shit like that.

Iowa offered Malachi Moreno on August 24, 2022.

He unofficially visited Iowa City on Oct 2, 2022 (Michigan game).

His AAU team for 2023 is Indiana Elite (same as Cooper Koch).

Malachi and Cooper Koch were two of the 20 that Adidas selected to go to Italy in June, 2023 as part of their Eurocamp.

And now an October 7 official visit is planned.

This looks promising!

Small anecdote, but I sat next to Moreno's mom at the AAU event in Council Bluffs last spring. She was talking with the D1Minnesota coach about how much she loves Fran and how he's nothing like what you see on TV.
I know that Malachi's older brother was recruited by Iowa for a bit (went to Western Kentucky) and was good friends with Patrick on the AAU circuit.
But yeah, I would imagine this recruitment will be tough to win with how many brand name schools are involved.

A lot of heavy hitters with deep NIL pockets. He will be a tough get.

Time to use our heavy hitter ( @Tx_Hawk )!!! ;)

I am hoping some of the alcohol money can be used for men's basketball.

It's been just a few months and here's the numbers:

Alcohol Donations to SWARM:

BEER (Exile Brewing, Des Moines)
$30,000 First Donation, reported July 12, 2023
$58,800 July, 2023 Donation, reported Aug 1, 2023
$75,000 Aug, 2023 Donation, reported Sep 1 2023
$163,800 Donated to SWARM So Far
===============

VODKA (Foundry Distilling Co., West Des Moines)
$7,247 (July 21, 2023, Initial Royalty Check, after 1st week)
$7,247 Donated to SWARM So Far
===============

Small anecdote, but I sat next to Moreno's mom at the AAU event in Council Bluffs last spring. She was talking with the D1Minnesota coach about how much she loves Fran and how he's nothing like what you see on TV.
I know that Malachi's older brother was recruited by Iowa for a bit (went to Western Kentucky) and was good friends with Patrick on the AAU circuit.
But yeah, I would imagine this recruitment will be tough to win with how many brand name schools are involved.
Interesting tidbit. Always keeps us recruiting types grasping for more. I truly believe if Fran got a couple of these kids, the Hawks would be really glying high.

FWIW, I think last year's class was solid. 2024 looks promising and there are a lot ofbig names floating around for 2025.

Time to use our heavy hitter ( @Tx_Hawk )!!! ;)

I am hoping some of the alcohol money can be used for men's basketball.

It's been just a few months and here's the numbers:

Alcohol Donations to SWARM:

BEER (Exile Brewing, Des Moines)
$30,000 First Donation, reported July 12, 2023
$58,800 July, 2023 Donation, reported Aug 1, 2023
$75,000 Aug, 2023 Donation, reported Sep 1 2023
$163,800 Donated to SWARM So Far
===============

VODKA (Foundry Distilling Co., West Des Moines)
$7,247 (July 21, 2023, Initial Royalty Check, after 1st week)
$7,247 Donated to SWARM So Far
===============

Pretty sure that all of the Beer/Vodka sales go to the general fund that is divided equally amongst the athletes.
So assuming that all of the athletes that are eligible opt in (roughly ~120 football players, 15 MBB, and 15 WBB for 150 total athletes). That means that alcohol sales have contributed about $1130 and change to each athlete.

Reactions: Torg
Pretty sure that all of the Beer/Vodka sales go to the general fund that is divided equally amongst the athletes. So assuming that all of the athletes that are eligible opt in (roughly ~120 football players, 15 MBB, and 15 WBB for 150 total athletes). That means that alcohol sales have contributed about $1130 and change to each athlete.

@Tx_Hawk , is this true? Or is some of the SWARM beer/vodka money going to be earmarked for SWARM Inc (where the bigger deals are made to get the bigger fish like Cade McNamara in football and a player like Malachi Moreno for men's basketball)?

TIA....

@Tx_Hawk , is this true? Or is some of the SWARM beer/vodka money going to be earmarked for SWARM Inc (where the bigger deals are made to get the bigger fish like Cade McNamara in football and a player like Malachi Moreno for men's basketball)?

TIA....
I'm sure Brad will come in here and answer too, but he's answered this on other sites.

I'm sure Brad will come in here and answer too, but he's answered this on other sites.

I just wonder if they really thought they'd be getting $75,000 a month from just beer sales.

That's $900,000 annually. So, that will all go for student-athlete volunteering? Or, has the thinking changed, and some of this now be used to help Fran land some studs?

Thanks, Brad ( @Tx_Hawk ), for your answers & for all you've done and continue to do!

Iowa offered Malachi Moreno on August 24, 2022.

He unofficially visited Iowa City on Oct 2, 2022 (Michigan game).

His AAU team for 2023 is Indiana Elite (same as Cooper Koch).

Malachi and Cooper Koch were two of the 20 that Adidas selected to go to Italy in June, 2023 as part of their Eurocamp.

And now an October 7 official visit is planned.

This looks promising!

At least we get a visit. But with that offer list I'm afraid it's back to being the bridesmaid again

Pretty sure that all of the Beer/Vodka sales go to the general fund that is divided equally amongst the athletes.
So assuming that all of the athletes that are eligible opt in (roughly ~120 football players, 15 MBB, and 15 WBB for 150 total athletes). That means that alcohol sales have contributed about $1130 and change to each athlete.
85 Football Scholarships
13 Men's Basketball Scholarships
15 Womens's Basketball Scholarships

Connections, connections, connections:

(1) Eric Reibe (Iowa offered on May 4, 2023)
is AAU teammates with 2024 6'7 SG Caden Diggs (Iowa offered Caden on May 3, 2023). Their AAU team: New World; part of Adidas circuit.

Both also attend Bullis High School in Potomac, MD.

Caden likely is choosing Iowa on Sep 15th. Will Eric eventually join him?

(2) Tristan Spurlock, Director of Player Development at Iowa, has DMV connections and ties to the area and it is clearly paying off.

(3) An Iowa asst coach (was not named but it was probably Spurlock) was reportedly watching Bullis HS/Eric Reibe/Caden Diggs play on June 24, 2023 during a live period in the DMV area.

Reactions: perryhawk
Iowa offered Trent Sisley on July 9, 2022.

He unofficially visited Sep 10, 2022 (Iowa State football game).

His AAU team for 2023 is Indy Heat (Trent Sisley and Jalen Haralson, who Iowa has also offered, are AAU teammates).

Sherman Dillard watched his AAU game on April 22, 2023.

Last edited:
Reactions: perryhawk and Torg
They can but it is not a given. Doubt 35 walk-ons would get money.
Why? All they have to do is sign up for the Swarm and do the charity work. I'd be shocked if any walk-on is deciding to elect to opt out of earning money that could be put towards their tuition.

How the Swarm is setup is that any athlete (whether scholarship or walk-on) from the 3 sports can sign up to earn money. The only athlete that I am aware of that has opted out is Caitlin and that's just because she has so many endorsement deals that aren't through the collective that she does not feel the need to take the collective money. I don't pretend to follow football as closely, but I know I saw pictures of Kingsbury, Laketa and Eldridge at SWARM charity events last season so I know all 3 of them opted in. I would guess the number of players that are choosing to not get money is very, very small.

Sorry because this doesn't belong in this thread and maybe has been discussed before, but Raef Lafrenz' son was an 8th grader last season at Decorah Iowa and is currently 6'8 or 6'9.

Might be someone to watch, although he's very thin.
Ha ha. I think I was a tad over 4'10" in eighth grade! That would be a really (not) fun matchup on the court!

Hadn’t seen this posted yet…

Per a recent interview:

"I like how they develop big men and use them in their system,"

"I think the environment is really good, and I like coach (Fran) McCaffery."

"I do plan to visit. I haven’t gotten a date yet, but it will most likely be in the fall,"
Anyone know if a date has been set yet for his visit?

"I do plan to visit. I haven’t gotten a date yet, but it will most likely be in the fall,"

Braden Frager will take an unofficial visit to Iowa on October 7th. I guess he hasn't heard that Fran is retiring after this season or next. ;)

He has offers from Iowa, Nebraska, Creighton, Northwestern and Iowa State.

“Iowa is the only visit I have planned right now,” he said. “That relationship has been pretty good and it’s one of those where they don’t really reach out a whole lot but I still have a pretty good relationship with them. I like how they play and think it could be a good fit for me. They’re one of my top Interest right now.”

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT