ADVERTISEMENT

50 Years Ago, Today, BlizzardRama visits Iowa!

joelbc1

HR King
Gold Member
Sep 5, 2007
you can’t always get what you want!
The worst snow storm I ever experienced. Lots of snow and more wind.....snowed damn near 24 hours straight. Started about mid-morning Sunday......It Tuesday before you could even think about getting out and about in a car.....I remember a few days later traveling on #163 and seeing cars buried in snow on the side of the road with "hazard flags" showing you where cars were buried. My fiance was in town and supposed to go home Sunday PM but it was Wednesday before she could catch a flight back home. But I do remember.....snow everywhere and snow drifts higher than I had ever seen before.

I remember that storm well. Pretty sure we didn't have school until Friday that week. I remember the route I walked, at one point there was this spot for a couple blocks where as we were walking we couldn't really see the houses' 1st floors because of how high the drifts were.

My father at that time worked at Rockwell Collins, and that weekend he worked OT both Saturday and Sunday. He didn't make it home until Tuesday. Gotta remember, back then nobody really owned 4x4's - a storm like this brought a city to a standstill.

I remember that storm well. Pretty sure we didn't have school until Friday that week. I remember the route I walked, at one point there was this spot for a couple blocks where as we were walking we couldn't really see the houses' 1st floors because of how high the drifts were.

My father at that time worked at Rockwell Collins, and that weekend he worked OT both Saturday and Sunday. He didn't make it home until Tuesday. Gotta remember, back then nobody really owned 4x4's - a storm like this brought a city to a standstill.
And damn few folks had access to snowblowers/throwers!

Reactions: GOHOX69
We thought we were so smart getting a early start to the growing season in 73...we transplanted over 100 12" sensimilla transplants we had nursed along all Winter with gro-lights in the attic We put them out on that beautiful Friday before the un-forecasted blizzard struck.

We thought we were so smart getting a early start to the growing season in 73...we transplanted over 100 12" sensimilla transplants we had nursed along all Winter with gro-lights in the attic We put them out on that beautiful Friday before the un-forecasted blizzard struck.
Ummmm, when did bean become a druglord? Good lord I’m out the loop, lol.

Reactions: jasonrann

And damn few folks had access to snowblowers/throwers!
Remember that one. Don't recall anyone having a snowblower. They just had kids.😁

Reactions: Old_wrestling_fan
The worst snow storm I ever experienced. Lots of snow and more wind.....snowed damn near 24 hours straight. Started about mid-morning Sunday......It Tuesday before you could even think about getting out and about in a car.....I remember a few days later traveling on #163 and seeing cars buried in snow on the side of the road with "hazard flags" showing you where cars were buried. My fiance was in town and supposed to go home Sunday PM but it was Wednesday before she could catch a flight back home. But I do remember.....snow everywhere and snow drifts higher than I had ever seen before.
Pic of fiancé. In a snow bikini.

I was only five at the time but I remember my older brothers leaning out one of our second floor windows to brush the snow away from the front door so we could get the storm door open. Man there was a lot of snow.

Reactions: PoopandBoogers
I remember that storm and being without power for a week.

That is right when home generators were coming out and a lot were sold during/after the storm.

The other thing I remember is crazy drifts out in the country. Took forever to plow/dig the roads out because there were spots with 10 ft drifts.

I remember all that snow. We had just moved to Iowa less than a year prior and I was excited that our new house was in a place that got that much snow. I don't think we ever got anything even remotely close for the next 30 years.
We dug tunnels in the snow in our front yard because the snow was too deep for sledding in the back.

Reactions: Old_wrestling_fan

Remember that one. Don't recall anyone having a snowblower. They just had kids.😁
I might have shoveled more snow from that storm than the whole rest of my life. Kinda for real. When we weren't building gigantic snow forts from it we were SHOVELING for days. Crazy. Also crazy that it has been 50 years! Sheesh.

What I gleaned from this thread is that 50 years ago this week, Joel and his future wife spent 3 days fvcking like rabbits.
And that wiley ol' second time, when the tupperwares came rattlin down the maple stained cabinets as she turned moonside. That migtha been your sister if ya don't shush. But good ol boy Butch come up snarlin up the nethers and kept her in my belly nads. Never fond of that welp. Welp, I'd say it was time to stop talkin to ya fellers, but that was good talkin.

Reactions: billanole
And that wiley ol' second time, when the tupperwares came rattlin down the maple stained cabinets as she turned moonside. That migtha been your sister if ya don't shush. But good ol boy Butch come up snarlin up the nethers and kept her in my belly nads. Never fond of that welp. Welp, I'd say it was time to stop talkin to ya fellers, but that was good talkin.
Get up in it.

Yessir, yessir I did. Ended up in a knot of an iron oak tree mayhaps. But as fair to middlin I might be, ol Lute can keep it goin. Treasure that, I sure do.
Twisted up in a knot, fer sheer. Stroke on, treat the fair maiden to all that is within ye. Show no mercy.
Stand stout and about, with all that is within your soul.

My Dad waited until "spring" to buy a brand new '73 Chevy K20 Pickup.

The new truck ended up being encased in a snowdrift. About 1 sq. ft. patches of windsheild and driver window were all that were visible. Sat there for a week.
Mom was a nurse at the hospital and they sent a snowmobile to pick her up for her shift.
I remember snowmobile riders being dispatched around Dubuque to transfer cops, firefighters, doctors, medications, etc. to different parts of town.

We dug tunnels in the snow in our front yard because the snow was too deep for sledding in the back.
I had to frantically dig my brother out of a collapsed tunnel. He was fine, but young me had no idea how long he could survive in there.

Shit. I was born 9 months later.

• Haha
Reactions: stickman80
Every child should know how to properly handle firearms, it would lessen the chances of someone misusing them.
It’s in a child’s nature to misuse things. I don’t give a crap how many times you show a child how to properly handle a firearm, they’re going to do stupid things.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT