ADVERTISEMENT

600-900 mile-per-charge EVs...

Joes Place

HB King
Aug 28, 2003

Toyota has big plans to bring new, improved tech — and, perhaps, a sharper focus — to the electric vehicle market. It suggests a shift from the auto juggernaut’s previous position, which took a more skeptical approach to converting to fully EVs, instead pursuing a mix of fully-electric, hybrid, and hydrogen cars.

The maker of the Prius, the world’s first mass-produced hybrid, says it will continue to offer a range of powertrain options, but it also announced a suite of new technologies designed to help the company fully join the fight for the EV market. This includes AI-assisted aerodynamic design, “Gigacasting” manufacturing like the kind used by Tesla, and — most crucially — “next-gen” EV batteries.

Toyota claims it will soon crank out EVs capable of going over 600 miles on one charge by 2026 — double the average range of new EVs hitting the road today. By 2028, the company’s aim is over 900 miles, per InsideEVs.

“That is stunning,” Michelle Krebs, an executive analyst at Cox Automotive, told Axios. (Cox Automotive and Axios are owned by the same parent company.)

Concern over driving range is one of the three biggest barriers preventing people on the fence from going fully electric, Krebs noted.

New battery tech: First on Toyota’s innovation docket is an optimized version of the lithium-ion battery that currently dominates the electric car market, InsideEVs reported. The 600-mile per charge battery will power a new model from Lexus, the luxury brand owned by Toyota.

Two new bipolar lithium iron phosphate batteries will launch next. The first, scheduled for 2026-27, is expected to reduce costs by 40%, InsideEVs reported; the second will be an advanced version with 10% more range, slated for production in 2027-28.

Finally, Toyota announced plans for a solid-state battery with a range of over 900 miles on one charge, hoping to hit the road in five years.

Wow. I could drive back to Iowa on "one tank"....

As a long time EV owner I have been waiting for the next step change in range to buy a new car. My model S was 270 miles per charge when I bought it in 2015 and still does about 250 miles now nearly 8 years later.

The Lucid Air is already at 520 miles of range and can charge to 80% in 15 minutes. That is 900 miles of range with a mere 15 minute stop. So at the high end we already have solutions that are more than enough range for 99.9% of buyers. In 5 years this will be fully mainstream and I am sure this is what Toyota sees.

As a long time EV owner I have been waiting for the next step change in range to buy a new car. My model S was 270 miles per charge when I bought it in 2015 and still does about 250 miles now nearly 8 years later.

The Lucid Air is already at 520 miles of range and can charge to 80% in 15 minutes. That is 900 miles of range with a mere 15 minute stop. So at the high end we already have solutions that are more than enough range for 99.9% of buyers. In 5 years this will be fully mainstream and I am sure this is what Toyota sees.
A 15 minute stop is pretty similar to a stop for gas. Just need more EV charging stations.

There is no doubt we're still very much on the "bleeding edge" of EVs. Those who are being told to oppose them by their ideology and people who profit off oil will look like idiots in 10 years. Much like those who made fun of people who bought the early combustion engine vehicles over getting another horse and buggy.

600 miles on a charge is more than enough to get us to my in-laws. I will be all in when that happens. I don't think I'll replace the Pilot though if it's still in as good of shape as it is now. I have children that will start driving in a few years and I don't think any EV will have the carrying capacity that vehicle does.

If this comes to fruition and is even remotely affordable, Ol' Doodle will be all in. For those of us who don't fly but still regularly travel long distances, 500 miles seemed to be the tipping point. So 600 - 900 will be a nice bonus...unless they cost $100k+.
Me too. My biggest hang ups are range and charging time/availability here in Iowa, especially during the brutally cold stretches were battery performance diminishes. I know it is just a matter of time for the technology to get there, but I have been disappointed by battery performance in my EGO stuff. I have pretty much all of it and I love everything but the snow blower, but I need to have extra batteries ready to go. For example, I have the self-propelled push mower. My watch tells me that is typically the equivalent of a 3-mile walk when mow. It typically takes a full battery, and then 1/3 of the charge of another to get it done. When I use the two-stage snowblower, which requires two big batteries, I typically run out of charge before I am done, so I am sure to get the nasty stuff from the plows at the end of the driveway done first. I should have kept my gas snow blower.

Me too. My biggest hang ups are range and charging time/availability here in Iowa, especially during the brutally cold stretches were battery performance diminishes. I know it is just a matter of time for the technology to get there, but I have been disappointed by battery performance in my EGO stuff. I have pretty much all of it and I love everything but the snow blower, but I need to have extra batteries ready to go. For example, I have the self-propelled push mower. My watch tells me that is typically the equivalent of a 3-mile walk when mow. It typically takes a full battery, and then 1/3 of the charge of another to get it done. When I use the two-stage snowblower, which requires two big batteries, I typically run out of charge before I am done, so I am sure to get the nasty stuff from the plows at the end of the driveway done first. I should have kept my gas snow blower.
Battery driven snow-blowers just seem like a bad idea to me at this time. Maybe in 10 years or so. Now, I see a lot of folks mowing their yds with battery powered mowers....I haven’t seen any “commercial” services using battery powered mowers though...but I bet they are out there.

Reactions: Tenacious E
We are still in the infancy stages of battery technology. Now if only the industry would reliably and ethically source raw materials instead of using child/slave labor that would be great.

Battery driven snow-blowers just seem like a bad idea to me at this time. Maybe in 10 years or so. Now, I see a lot of folks mowing their yds with battery powered mowers....I haven’t seen any “commercial” services using battery powered mowers though...but I bet they are out there.

FWIW: AcmeTools has had some of the best prices on EGO batteries (particularly in multi-packs) Up to 10 Ah and 12 Ah versions now.

2pk 7.5 Ah: $660
2pk 10 Ah: $850
2pk 12 Ah: $900

Other places have also had sales on them, occasionally

www.acmetools.com

Other sources:
Grainger
Amazon
Lowes

Would not bother with an electric snowblower w/ anything less than 7.5 Ah battery pairs.

EDIT: Aftermarket-compatible EGO battery packs are now coming online for less $$. Would be cautious with those, though. EGO is very good with their return policy for batteries that don't work past warranty - would not anticipate that to be true for aftermarket knock-offs.

Most of these packs should easily last 5+ years (500-1000 charge/discharge cycles); prices on them continue to drop over time.

Last edited:
Battery power works great for my yard. But I only have a quarter of an acre. Larger yards probably still need gas power unless they've come out with a battery powered riding mower. That would actually be a lot easier to use but I would have to think it would be very expensive.

Reactions: Tenacious E
That sort of range is a game-changer, but you still need a charging station at your destination.

Two new bipolar lithium iron phosphate batteries will launch next. The first, scheduled for 2026-27, is expected to reduce costs by 40%
I don't need long range. I'm never going to drive more than 2-300 miles without needing to stop long enough to recharge while I have a leisurely cup of coffee and pie.

Which is to say that batteries that are 40% cheaper strike me as the most important part of this announcement.

I still have 2 questions about EVs that I can never seem to get answered:

1. How long do the batteries last?

2. How much charge do they lose while not being driven?

That 2nd question is really important to me because, as a retired old fart, I generally only drive once a week or so, and that for only short distances. Sure, I go on the occasional longer excursion, so I still need a car. But most of the time the car just sits.

While my gas-powered car sits around waiting to be used, the gas doesn't drain away. But I'm betting the EV batteries do lose some charge.

If so, then the money spent on electricity to keep topped up is a cost factor I don't face with my clunker.

And, of course, during the 24 years I've owned this car, I've never had to shell out thousands of dollars to replace the batteries.

At my age, I may not outlive the batteries in an EV. But if I do, why should I spend any of my dwindling savings on that?

I don't need long range. I'm never going to drive more than 2-300 miles without needing to stop long enough to recharge while I have a leisurely cup of coffee and pie.

Which is to say that batteries that are 40% cheaper strike me as the most important part of this announcement.

That 2nd question is really important to me because, as a retired old fart, I generally only drive once a week or so, and that for only short distances. Sure, I go on the occasional longer excursion, so I still need a car. But most of the time the car just sits.

While my gas-powered car sits around waiting to be used, the gas doesn't drain away. But I'm betting the EV batteries do lose some charge.

If so, then the money spent on electricity to keep topped up is a cost factor I don't face with my clunker.

And, of course, during the 24 years I've owned this car, I've never had to shell out thousands of dollars to replace the batteries.

At my age, I may not outlive the batteries in an EV. But if I do, why should I spend any of my dwindling savings on that?

What an oddly reasonable post from you. You feeling okay, gramps?

Battery power works great for my yard. But I only have a quarter of an acre. Larger yards probably still need gas power unless they've come out with a battery powered riding mower. That would actually be a lot easier to use but I would have to think it would be very expensive.
John Deere is making battery powered riders.

Answers to your two questions:

1) People typically measure life based on converting discharge cycles to miles. For Tesla this is at least 300K miles and maybe up to 500K miles. There are many cars on the road today that have achieved the 300K range. if you know how much you drive annually it should give you a good approximation of lifetime. I have owned my model S almost 8 years I drive about 10K miles per year in it. I will for sure buy another car before my batteries give out.

2) A couple percentage points of juice per day is my experience. But why wouldn’t you have it plugged in at your house? The only time my car goes more than a day without charge is if I am traveling and even then I more often than not have access to at least a wall socket to charge. This is not something to worry about at all.

EVs are the perfect cars for older retired persons that just need to get around town. Virtually no regular maintenance and you can charge at home (3-5 miles/hour by plugging into a standard socket).

All batteries are guaranteed, by law, 10 years/100k miles.

Batteries drain 1-2 miles/day just sitting.

I have an '18 Leaf with 50k miles that's NEVER been serviced or touched by anyone except for getting its first new tires a couple months ago. It's direct-drive and air-cooled, so no hoses, belts, or fluids to change. I charge it using my rooftop solar so no fuel expenses, either.

The CEO of Nissan, which has been making EVs for over 12 years, said last year that its batteries are lasting "far longer than anticipated, both due to our batteries being better than we thought, and the owners' good charging habits."

My kids have a battery powered mower and snow blower (both with 2 batteries). With both, they can do a bit over half, switch batteries and finish. Considering the costs, they said they'd do it again in a heartbeat

Toyota has big plans to bring new, improved tech — and, perhaps, a sharper focus — to the electric vehicle market. It suggests a shift from the auto juggernaut’s previous position, which took a more skeptical approach to converting to fully EVs, instead pursuing a mix of fully-electric, hybrid, and hydrogen cars.

The maker of the Prius, the world’s first mass-produced hybrid, says it will continue to offer a range of powertrain options, but it also announced a suite of new technologies designed to help the company fully join the fight for the EV market. This includes AI-assisted aerodynamic design, “Gigacasting” manufacturing like the kind used by Tesla, and — most crucially — “next-gen” EV batteries.

Toyota claims it will soon crank out EVs capable of going over 600 miles on one charge by 2026 — double the average range of new EVs hitting the road today. By 2028, the company’s aim is over 900 miles, per InsideEVs.

“That is stunning,” Michelle Krebs, an executive analyst at Cox Automotive, told Axios. (Cox Automotive and Axios are owned by the same parent company.)

Concern over driving range is one of the three biggest barriers preventing people on the fence from going fully electric, Krebs noted.

New battery tech: First on Toyota’s innovation docket is an optimized version of the lithium-ion battery that currently dominates the electric car market, InsideEVs reported. The 600-mile per charge battery will power a new model from Lexus, the luxury brand owned by Toyota.

Two new bipolar lithium iron phosphate batteries will launch next. The first, scheduled for 2026-27, is expected to reduce costs by 40%, InsideEVs reported; the second will be an advanced version with 10% more range, slated for production in 2027-28.

Finally, Toyota announced plans for a solid-state battery with a range of over 900 miles on one charge, hoping to hit the road in five years.

My wife and I have been talking about getting an EV and a hybrid when we replace our cars in the next couple of years. We could drive the EV to/from work and have the hybrid for any longer driving. If Toyota did this with comparable cost to the new Prius, we be all for both getting EVs.

Being a big western road trip/wanderer sort of guy, this is the sort of range I have been waiting for. I'd say sometime in the next 5 years I'll make the leap.

Reactions: Joes Place
Answers to your two questions:

1) People typically measure life based on converting discharge cycles to miles. For Tesla this is at least 300K miles and maybe up to 500K miles. There are many cars on the road today that have achieved the 300K range. if you know how much you drive annually it should give you a good approximation of lifetime. I have owned my model S almost 8 years I drive about 10K miles per year in it. I will for sure buy another car before my batteries give out.

2) A couple percentage points of juice per day is my experience. But why wouldn’t you have it plugged in at your house? The only time my car goes more than a day without charge is if I am traveling and even then I more often than not have access to at least a wall socket to charge. This is not something to worry about at all.
So, the batteries will last me a hundred years?

I would just have it plugged in at my house. It's the cost of the trickle charge I'm wondering about. I pay nothing while my gas car sits, and if the trickle charge cost is genuinely trivial, that works for me. But if an unused EV is costing me a few dollars per day, that's sort of annoying.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT