ADVERTISEMENT

600-900 mile-per-charge EVs...

Did he drive straight through? One overnight full charge and maybe a lunchtime top up should do it.

At my age, it would be a 3-day drive.
I didn't ask. He's heading up to Ohio tomorrow (to finish out his trip). He said it was 6 hours...I responded with, "Plus charging". That's when he said he left the Tesla at home. He also drove it from San Diego to FL (moving) and said it took FOREVER--never again.

Educate me - how are road taxes paid by EV users?

Higher registration fees for EVs. Higher tolls. The government will find a way to get the money - our roads will not suddenly become unfunded. You will save a few bucks on gasoline tax, and you will pay a bit more somewhere else.

My buddy drove up to Gatlinburg, TN from Merritt Island, FL. He owns a Tesla. He said he rented a car because charging takes too long for road trips.

Checking Google Maps; that's 10.5 hours of driving and just under 700 miles. With a lunch/pee break and one gasoline refill it's about a 12 hour trip; versus a lunch break and two charges for an EV. That is a 12 hour trip compared to perhaps a 13 hour trip. He will spend at least that much time difference picking-up and dropping off the rental.

Imho gas stations will switch to a Buc-ees model. If you’re not familiar, it’s a fueling station with a large shopping / food facility. The future stop to recharge a EV , shop, eat, while you charge.

Reactions: artradley
Checking Google Maps; that's 10.5 hours of driving and just under 700 miles. With a lunch/pee break and one gasoline refill it's about a 12 hour trip; versus a lunch break and two charges for an EV. That is a 12 hour trip compared to perhaps a 13 hour trip. He will spend at least that much time difference picking-up and dropping off the rental.
I will text him your analysis.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT