ADVERTISEMENT

*** #7 Iowa vs #5 Maryland WBB Game Thread ***

Why is the woman's game so poorly officiated, seem's like rugby at times more than basketball. And alot of time not consistent from one team to the other. But great win heres hoping for Debbie and the Bucknut's going down
The "good" refs are doing Men's basketball.

Reactions: CarterHall
At one
Watching some of the games down the closing stretch, and now today ........

it makes me wonder how good some of these women's teams really are. How much of their record is "them" and how much is "favorable officiating".

For instance, the Hawks (likely) beat the pants off MD today if refs don't make it a closer game with all those bad calls.
At one point in the 4th quarter Maryland was in the bonus and they hadn’t committed one foul. How can that happen

Was on a plane so had to just look at stats but seems to have been an amazing game!!! Go Hawks!!

Starters scored every point for Iowa

Clark 22
Marshall 21
Warnock 21
Czinano 15
Martin 10
They do that tomorrow and we bring the trophy back to IC.
With that balance Hawks can beat anyone.(GM was just an assassin out there today.)
Best news of all is Gabby regaining her jumper. She shoots like that in the tourney and Hawks are a tough out

Last edited:
Gabbie was the gal today! Something was off after CC took that charge. Did not look the same. Great team win!!

The way she went down it almost looked like she bruised a dang rib or her right elbow. The impact with the ground was bad. Miller just ran her straight over.

Hope she is OK.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bishop1971
Sa sa sa sliiiiide to your right.

Everybody do a flop.

(Flop flop flop flop flop flop flop flop flop)

Is a flop a Technical foul in the Women’s game now too?

That would be two blatant Techs the zebras just decided not to call in the 2nd half. They were god awful.

Last edited:
Listen live on your cell. Go to hawkeyesports.com, click on listen live to the women's game & ba-bing.
There are patches on the drive where I'll have zero cell reception. Parts of Oklahoma (which I'll be well past by gametime) and Missouri are dead zones for AT&T.

It was funny listening to Maryland talk about Iowa's "home field advantage", when they got 24 FTA compared to Iowa's 15 FTA.

Reactions: not_mantiteo
It was funny listening to Maryland talk about Iowa's "home field advantage", when they got 24 FTA compared to Iowa's 15 FTA.
Wow, only 24? Seemed like Diamond Miller shot 20 FT herself. If someone breathed on her in the lane she was back at the line.....Honestly I'm starting to wonder if Clarks complaining to the refs is starting to have a negative impact on some calls involving her. Normally established stars, (and she is THE star), get some benefit on foul calls, and it seems like she's not getting some of those calls right now. Maybe just my black and gold glasses though....

Sa sa sa sliiiiide to your right.

Everybody do a flop.

(Flop flop flop flop flop flop flop flop flop)

Is a flop a Technical foul in the Women’s game now too?

That would be two blatant Techs the zebras just decided not to call in the 2nd half. They were god awful.

That was the first replay I saw of that play and as I thought it was a terrible call, did not give Martin a full stride and the terp was still moving, terrible.

The best thing is a blocking call and next is a no call

Since when has it become okay to just drive that ball into defenders and flail your arms at them and be rewarded with a foul? Apparently the Officials crew last night have rewritten how basketball is played.

The thuggy style of play is indicative of how Maryland's Frese has always coached. Bully style of play and then she is constantly whining to officials up and down court to get her way. Her meltdown shows her mentality.

I do agree with previous poster that Clark has caused some of the friction between Officials and they way they treat Iowa. She needs to get her emotions under control and refrain from arguing and whining to officials, because they will never change a call and will only get more vindictive about it. Which is what we are seeing a vindictive set of officials.

The flopping was supposed to be addressed this year....obviously it's still a tool officials still use to punish teams they have a grudge against. Maryland was totally bush league with it but they knew the officials would call it.

Wow, only 24? Seemed like Diamond Miller shot 20 FT herself. If someone breathed on her in the lane she was back at the line.....Honestly I'm starting to wonder if Clarks complaining to the refs is starting to have a negative impact on some calls involving her. Normally established stars, (and she is THE star), get some benefit on foul calls, and it seems like she's not getting some of those calls right now. Maybe just my black and gold glasses though....

The big thing for me is that because C.C. has another gear 90% in the women’s game don’t have teams are allowed to be more physical and bump her hard on drives, Switches etc, Fouls would be called on a “normal” player in many of those instances, So I do believe many times she is punished for being on another level than many playing against her.
I do agree that Caitlin does do too much complaining, But I do understand the frustration at times.

That was the first replay I saw of that play and as I thought it was a terrible call, did not give Martin a full stride and the terp was still moving, terrible.

The best thing is a blocking call and next is a no call

Yep, correct call is a Technical Foul, flopping.

Next best call is blocking foul on Maryland defender.

Next best call is no call.

Last thing to do is a charge.

It is strange to see officials make the 4th best correct call. It makes me question their competency. After more calls like that I start to question their partisan bias for a favored outcome.

That crew was either incompetent or crooked to me.

The flopping was supposed to be addressed this year....obviously it's still a tool officials still use to punish teams they have a grudge against. Maryland was totally bush league with it but they knew the officials would call it.

There were at least two instances of Maryland defenders running in front of players to get bush league calls. This isn’t by accident, it is being coached. The league should address this with Frese and get it stopped.

Reactions: Bishop1971
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT