ADVERTISEMENT

A little info on Fidone from rivals...

He must really be a fan to not look at Iowa. Nobody is better at developing that position. Nobody.
What team gives him the best chance to play for a NC and develop - Ohio State, LSU, Alabama, Clemson, etc. Unfortunately Iowa is not in that mix. Now straight development, Iowa leads the pack. He seems further along in his development though then Hock or Kittle at this point in recruitment (probably closer to Fant).

Last edited:
The truth is.............Why, if you are a Tight End from Iowa or a nearby state wouldn't you be VERY interested in Iowa ? Why?
Well, there are some good reasons, listed below.

1) George Kittle, 49ers
2) Noah Fant, Broncos
3) TJ Hockenson, Det Lions

Does school of 'Nowledge' have any TEs in NFL?
Go Hawks

My understanding Nebraska born, bred and raised (until age 13/14), then moved from Tekamah, NE (was living with Mom) to Council Bluffs (to live with Dad) to have a better chance to develop athletically. Mom's brother is in management at First Data in Omaha (one of my best friends works for him) and according to my friend both (Mom and the uncle) are Husker fans. I don't know anything about Dad. FWIW.

It would be beyond sad to have your stud kid go to a school because mommy and daddy are fans of a school and are already sporting the gear.

Reactions: owenhawk
He is "warm" on pretty much all major offers on 247sports. I do believe he has to have Iowa as a top position school. Why not ride the wave as a recruit and enjoy the attention? If he picks Iowa, great. If he picks someone else, i won't lose sleep over it.

It would be beyond sad to have your stud kid go to a school because mommy and daddy are fans of a school and are already sporting the gear.
Are we talking about Fidone or AJ Epenesa?

Not like there hasn't been a ton of kids (studs or not) select Iowa over programs that would seem a better fit throughout the years. This is not something unique. While the obvious choice for him would appear to be a school like Iowa with it's track record for TE development, there are other factors that go into a decision. In his case maybe those other factors will win out. I for one will not take it personally.

This is a FWIW post. I ran into a friend who I hadn't seen in a couple of months 2 weeks ago. He is a retired LC coach in about everything but football and still follows both LC basketball programs in person extensively. I brought up Logan Jones and Fidone and he shared rave reviews on Jones but said he continued to be disappointed in Fidone. His take on Fidone was that he has all of the God given talent and size in the world, but his work ethic is very lacking. He said it was very evident on the basketball floor as he thought he had the most talent of anyone on the team, but seldom extended the effort and that showed up in his minutes and stats. He said someone was going to have to light a fire under him to put in the time in the weight room to be a successful tight end at the next level. Don't shoot the messenger.

Hmmm, I think you realize that the Iowa coaching staff is VERY good at identifying lack of work ethic behavior. Those are the types of recruits that Iowa backs away from pretty quickly.

I am sure the coaches are still in constant contact with Fidone, at least until they get the indication that he is not really interested in Iowa, or until Iowa gets commitments from other TE's they may have offered and no longer have the TE scholly available. I am not sure whom they have offered TE wise.

Are we talking about Fidone or AJ Epenesa?

Not like there hasn't been a ton of kids (studs or not) select Iowa over programs that would seem a better fit throughout the years. This is not something unique. While the obvious choice for him would appear to be a school like Iowa with it's track record for TE development, there are other factors that go into a decision. In his case maybe those other factors will win out. I for one will not take it personally.
However, AJs dad actually “played” at Iowa & not just a fan.

Won't argue with anything you said. It seems he/his dad are not keen on Iowa. If he isn't going to Iowa, the two schools I mentioned would do more for him than the Fuskers.
He's visited Iowa four times. If he wasn't interested, I doubt he'd visit so many times. Since blowing up, things could obviously change, but it's not like he has had a dislike of Iowa.

Reactions: squeezebox
What team gives him the best chance to play for a NC and develop - Ohio State, LSU, Alabama, Clemson, etc. Unfortunately Iowa is not in that mix. Now straight development, Iowa leads the pack. He seems further along in his development though then Hock or Kittle at this point in recruitment (probably closer to Fant).

If you are going to be chasing a NC, then yes I agree with you. I just don't get how Nebraska (seems to be the top school) fits in any of this mix other than he is a fan. Nebraska doesn't utilize TE's like Iowa does or like Alabama/LSU. Nebraska will probably finish somewhere around 3rd or 4th in the West. I am not sure how chasing down a title game would fit at that school.

I wonder if pierschbacher would trade his championship for "wirfs money".

My money says yes ;)

Bro, how do you think most fans choose their favorite team?

If you were the recruit and you hoped to make the NFL ..... No you would have to be an idiot to choose a school because your mom and dad were "fans" vs. a school that puts players in the league at your position. my 2 cents.

If you were the recruit and you hoped to make the NFL ..... No you would have to be an idiot to choose a school because your mom and dad were "fans" vs. a school that puts players in the league at your position. my 2 cents.
Tbh that's a pretty dumb two cents.

If he's truly NFL-caliber (that means talent AND work-ethic), it won't matter where he goes.

So you believe coaching, Developing technique and developing as a person are non factors?
How the hell did you come up with that from what I typed?

The guy said recruits who chose their favorite schools over "NFL factories" are dumb. While some coaches and staffs are certainly better than others, ANYONE coaching at the D1 level knows their shit. If what he stated was true, then guys from Directional Michigan Tech State or FCS schools would never make the pros, which is obviously false.

Bro, how do you think most fans choose their favorite team?

This.

Was in middle school and high school in Omaha in the 90’s when Nebraska was actually relevant and winning championships. Prime years to make me a huge Husker fan. But dad was a fan of Iowa and “sporting the gear.” Two degrees from Iowa later, here I am talking Hawkeyes and hating on Debbie with you clowns. Parents play a big role, for sure.

If you are going to be chasing a NC, then yes I agree with you. I just don't get how Nebraska (seems to be the top school) fits in any of this mix other than he is a fan. Nebraska doesn't utilize TE's like Iowa does or like Alabama/LSU. Nebraska will probably finish somewhere around 3rd or 4th in the West. I am not sure how chasing down a title game would fit at that school.
How often has Nebby gotten a top 25 recruting class compared to Iowa? Nearly every year... They are good salesmen, KF for years "undersold" Iowa which I think hurt recruiting. I think that is starting to change, but it will take some time.

I wonder if pierschbacher would trade his championship for "wirfs money".

My money says yes ;)

I wish RP would've come to Iowa but to play devils advocate Bama has also put their fair share of OL in the NFL. One of the other top 3 tackles expected to go this year is from there and the other T from last season many surprised he also didn't leave early. Plus RP was a guard and tackles usually make more $.

As for Fidone rivals I saw had this article today. One guy thinks Iowa is the favorite the other Nebraska at this point and time.

https://n.rivals.com/news/fact-or-fiction-nebraska-is-team-to-beat-for-thomas-fidone

I wish RP would've come to Iowa but to play devils advocate Bama has also put their fair share of OL in the NFL. One of the other top 3 tackles expected to go this year is from there and the other T from last season many surprised he also didn't leave early. Plus RP was a guard and tackles usually make more $.

As for Fidone rivals I saw had this article today. One guy thinks Iowa is the favorite the other Nebraska at this point and time.

https://n.rivals.com/news/fact-or-fiction-nebraska-is-team-to-beat-for-thomas-fidone

I didn't get that from that article, one was neutral while the other gave the nod to Nebraska.

Neither Bama nor OSU has the track record that Iowa does.

Bama's last two starting TEs were drafted in the 1st and 2nd round. No, not at the Iowa level, but still pretty damn good. I would certainly go to Bama over Nebraska if I didn't choose Iowa. I'm not really worried about this kid as Iowa is loaded with high-quality young TE recruits right now and for the foreseeable future.

This is a FWIW post. I ran into a friend who I hadn't seen in a couple of months 2 weeks ago. He is a retired LC coach in about everything but football and still follows both LC basketball programs in person extensively. I brought up Logan Jones and Fidone and he shared rave reviews on Jones but said he continued to be disappointed in Fidone. His take on Fidone was that he has all of the God given talent and size in the world, but his work ethic is very lacking. He said it was very evident on the basketball floor as he thought he had the most talent of anyone on the team, but seldom extended the effort and that showed up in his minutes and stats. He said someone was going to have to light a fire under him to put in the time in the weight room to be a successful tight end at the next level. Don't shoot the messenger.
Good information. Thanks.

Bama's last two starting TEs were drafted in the 1st and 2nd round. No, not at the Iowa level, but still pretty damn good. I would certainly go to Bama over Nebraska if I didn't choose Iowa. I'm not really worried about this kid as Iowa is loaded with high-quality young TE recruits right now and for the foreseeable future.
Iowa builds TEs. Alabama recruits over them.

How often has Nebby gotten a top 25 recruting class compared to Iowa? Nearly every year... They are good salesmen, KF for years "undersold" Iowa which I think hurt recruiting. I think that is starting to change, but it will take some time.

But they have to be responsible to look at that stuff before hand.

Reactions: obfuscating
If Fidone comes to Iowa, wouldn’t they be recruiting over them?
No. He will get the same attention as all players get at Iowa, and have every chance to excel. How many 2 and 3 stars have you seen come on to be great players as juniors and seniors at Iowa? It happens every year. How often does that happen at AL or OH State? They aren't built to develop players, they are built to evaluate and spit them out.

Reactions: Easthawk36
No. He will get the same attention as all players get at Iowa, and have every chance to excel. How many 2 and 3 stars have you seen come on to be great players as juniors and seniors at Iowa? It happens every year. How often does that happen at AL or OH State? They aren't built to develop players, they are built to evaluate and spit them out.
I guess I’m confused what you mean by Alabama recruiting over them. I think it’s naive to say Alabama doesn’t develop players. Schools like USC, FSU, etc., who have huge recruiting classes yet fewer players drafted than Iowa; don’t develop players.

This.

Was in middle school and high school in Omaha in the 90’s when Nebraska was actually relevant and winning championships. Prime years to make me a huge Husker fan. But dad was a fan of Iowa and “sporting the gear.” Two degrees from Iowa later, here I am talking Hawkeyes and hating on Debbie with you clowns. Parents play a big role, for sure.

100%. I grew up Colorado, but parents were huge Nebraska fans. Took a lot of shit at school from the CU fans, but at the end of the day I wanted to root for the same team as my dad. Essentially why I am a Cubs, Bears, Blackhawks, etc. fan. Dad loves Chicago sports, as do I.

I guess I’m confused what you mean by Alabama recruiting over them. I think it’s naive to say Alabama doesn’t develop players. Schools like USC, FSU, etc., who have huge recruiting classes yet fewer players drafted than Iowa; don’t develop players.
AL gets the highest-ranked classes almost every year. They start with tha most talent - Iowa is usually very middle of the pack at best, especially with TEs, because they build them, such that when TEs leave Iowa, they are ahead of where the AL TEs are. AL's "development" is culling the herd more than taking each player and working to make them the best player they can be. THAT is my point.

100%. I grew up Colorado, but parents were huge Nebraska fans. Took a lot of shit at school from the CU fans, but at the end of the day I wanted to root for the same team as my dad. Essentially why I am a Cubs, Bears, Blackhawks, etc. fan. Dad loves Chicago sports, as do I.

Our alliance, albeit an uneasy one, remains. But be warned, @ZJSARENOTFREE. If you cross me, I will end you.

Reactions: SWIowahawks
Undersold? How do you undersell your school or program? Yeah, I can see Kirk sitting on the kids parents couch telling the kid not to come to Iowa because our facilities suck and we most likely will suck too? LOL

Iowa builds TEs. Alabama recruits over them.

I don't know. Fant and Hockenson would have wound up in the NFL no matter which college they had chosen. They were just that good. That said, they did benefit from going to Iowa as the Hawks have excellent development at the TE position and also feature the position well in the ways that NFL teams want to use TEs--to block well and be a threat in the passing game.

I don't know. Fant and Hockenson would have wound up in the NFL no matter which college they had chosen. They were just that good. That said, they did benefit from going to Iowa as the Hawks have excellent development at the TE position and also feature the position well in the ways that NFL teams want to use TEs--to block well and be a threat in the passing game.
They were just that good? Hindsight is great, isn't it?
Hockenson:
2-star on ESPN (http://www.espn.com/college-sports/football/recruiting/player/_/id/209210/tj-hockenson)
3-star on Rivals (
) and 247 (https://247sports.com/Player/TJ-Hockenson-77736/).
Noah Fant:
3-star on ESPN (http://www.espn.com/college-sports/football/recruiting/player/_/id/206085/noah-fant), 247 (https://247sports.com/Player/Noah-Fant-66764/), and Rivals (
)

Undersold? How do you undersell your school or program? Yeah, I can see Kirk sitting on the kids parents couch telling the kid not to come to Iowa because our facilities suck and we most likely will suck too? LOL
YOu must be new to the board... for several years KF has been demonized for saying Iowa isn't sexy, we are a developmental program, etc. THat would be how you "undersell" your program. Go back in the football forum and recruiting posts and you will see several references to this.

YOu must be new to the board... for several years KF has been demonized for saying Iowa isn't sexy, we are a developmental program, etc. THat would be how you "undersell" your program. Go back in the football forum and recruiting posts and you will see several references to this.
So Frosty sits on the couch and spews non-sense about how they will be Nat'l contenders next year ("just look at those way too early preseason polls kid") and they're bringing back the huskers of the 90's ...while Kirk tells the kid our program will continue to compete for division championships, be invited to upper tier bowl games and develop you for the NFL.

Yeah, if I were a kid I'd buy what Frosty is selling before what Kirk is promising.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT