ADVERTISEMENT

A look back at September 2014

FWIW4922463

HR All-State
Apr 1, 2021
Some have suggested disgruntled fans like me write to Barta and complain about KF's miserable offense. Well, I did email Barta back in September of 2014. Just for fun, here's part of that message:

"Coach Ferentz has offended every Iowa fan for at least the last five seasons with his arrogance and refusal to accept any responsibility for the most boring, uninspired, totally predictable offense in America. I am also offended by his snide remarks about specific players, particularly today about CJ Beathard. If Beathard's no good, I dare Kirk to put the kid in the game and let him prove it. Shut us up by showing us the mysterious mistakes Beathard supposedly makes in practice . . . The evidence seems clear that the fundamental reason Iowa's offense is such a laughingstock is that Coach Ferentz chose the wrong kid to play QB . . . again.

"Anyway, I just want you to know that Iowa fans do not deserve and do not appreciate the condescension from a man who blames everything and everybody but himself. It's getting to the point where bringing the late Frank Lauterbur back would be an upgrade.

"It's clear to most people who know talent that CJ Beathard is a big-time QB, but he sits on the bench. Ed Podolak compares CJ's arm to Joe Namath. That little series CJ was permitted against Ball State showcased that Podolak is right. It's been a long, long time since any Iowa QB threw passes like that, and with the flick of a wrist. Our current QB has to wind up and put his entire body behind it to get anywhere beyond 15 yards. Trying to run an offense in a phone booth is pretty tough.

"Daniels and Canzeri are Iowa's best RBs, so Bullock and Weisman get most of the carries. The whole offensive scheme is just bizarre. No misdirection. No continuity. No deep threat.

"Until the best players play, and until the offensive scheme joins the 21st century, Iowa will continue to be a prime laughingstock across the country . . . There is no joy in Iowa football anymore. No excitement, just resignation that we have a stubborn old man running things."

So as things change, they stay the same--at least with KF's offense, his choice of QBs, and his inclination to mock his own players. (No, the slander of Deuce Hogan wasn't the first time.) It would seem my email from seven years ago is at least as true now as it was then. Yes, 2015 happened, but only because CJ's family threatened that he would transfer so--out of the blue--he was named the starter in January after riding the pine all season.

Obviously what any of us have to say to Barta is less than meaningless to him, so I won't be wasting any pixels in that direction this time. But I have to admit it is gratifying to have the evidence to prove that KF's critics were right then, and we are right now.

Some have suggested disgruntled fans like me write to Barta and complain about KF's miserable offense. Well, I did email Barta back in September of 2014. Just for fun, here's part of that message:

"Coach Ferentz has offended every Iowa fan for at least the last five seasons with his arrogance and refusal to accept any responsibility for the most boring, uninspired, totally predictable offense in America. I am also offended by his snide remarks about specific players, particularly today about CJ Beathard. If Beathard's no good, I dare Kirk to put the kid in the game and let him prove it. Shut us up by showing us the mysterious mistakes Beathard supposedly makes in practice . . . The evidence seems clear that the fundamental reason Iowa's offense is such a laughingstock is that Coach Ferentz chose the wrong kid to play QB . . . again.

"Anyway, I just want you to know that Iowa fans do not deserve and do not appreciate the condescension from a man who blames everything and everybody but himself. It's getting to the point where bringing the late Frank Lauterbur back would be an upgrade.

"It's clear to most people who know talent that CJ Beathard is a big-time QB, but he sits on the bench. Ed Podolak compares CJ's arm to Joe Namath. That little series CJ was permitted against Ball State showcased that Podolak is right. It's been a long, long time since any Iowa QB threw passes like that, and with the flick of a wrist. Our current QB has to wind up and put his entire body behind it to get anywhere beyond 15 yards. Trying to run an offense in a phone booth is pretty tough.

"Daniels and Canzeri are Iowa's best RBs, so Bullock and Weisman get most of the carries. The whole offensive scheme is just bizarre. No misdirection. No continuity. No deep threat.

"Until the best players play, and until the offensive scheme joins the 21st century, Iowa will continue to be a prime laughingstock across the country . . . There is no joy in Iowa football anymore. No excitement, just resignation that we have a stubborn old man running things."

So as things change, they stay the same--at least with KF's offense, his choice of QBs, and his inclination to mock his own players. (No, the slander of Deuce Hogan wasn't the first time.) It would seem my email from seven years ago is at least as true now as it was then. Yes, 2015 happened, but only because CJ's family threatened that he would transfer so--out of the blue--he was named the starter in January after riding the pine all season.

Obviously what any of us have to say to Barta is less than meaningless to him, so I won't be wasting any pixels in that direction this time. But I have to admit it is gratifying to have the evidence to prove that KF's critics were right then, and we are right now.
LOL, what a moron.

If you truly believed that your letter was a productive way to bring about change, you missed the mark. Badly.
If you instead intended to come off like a smug, know-it-all, a$$wipe with that letter, then you likely succeeded.

Username checks out.

So assuming you sent this letter after the 2014 Iowa State game, since then Iowa has gone 68-29 (70.1% win) with 2 Big Ten Championship Game appearances, 7 bowl appearances (plus last year's canceled game) in 8 years, rivalry winning streaks over ISU, Nebraska, and Minn of 5+ years, ranked at some point every year since 2015, 2nd highest amount of NFL draftees over that period of time, etc...
While I doubt Barta or even his admin read past line 2 of this letter (I didn't make it very far TBH), it seems to have done the trick. Good job!

So assuming you sent this letter after the 2014 Iowa State game, since then Iowa has gone 68-29 (70.1% win) with 2 Big Ten Championship Game appearances, 7 bowl appearances (plus last year's canceled game) in 8 years, rivalry winning streaks over ISU, Nebraska, and Minn of 5+ years, ranked at some point every year since 2015, 2nd highest amount of NFL draftees over that period of time, etc...
While I doubt Barta or even his admin read past line 2 of this letter (I didn't make it very far TBH), it seems to have done the trick. Good job!
I think OP wants us to acknowledge him Roman Reigns style for his efforts in Iowa having more success since 2015.........

Of course, the draw back to that is that if we do so.....then he also opens himself up to criticism for our losses as well, because you can't take credit for one and not the other.

Hmmmmmm.......hey guys, guess what! We found our scapegoat! :D

I think OP wants us to acknowledge him Roman Reigns style for his efforts in Iowa having more success since 2015.........

Of course, the draw back to that is that if we do so.....then he also opens himself up to criticism for our losses as well, because you can't take credit for one and not the other.

Hmmmmmm.......hey guys, guess what! We found our scapegoat! :D

I saw in another thread that the word/phrase is actually scape coat!!

That’s sad

I'm curious, what would satisfy you as a Hawkeye fan regarding the overall football progam?

FFJy5_EWQAgakB-

Where's Barta's response? Such a nicely worded diatribe deserves at least a couple sentences. Why are you hiding his response from us?

OP please STFU. If you cannot find anything positive out of a 10 win season and landing a 5 star DB there you are not a HAWK FAN.

giphy.gif

I, too, wrote Barta after 2014, expressing my displeasure and that I was not renewing my season tix, My letter was not obnoxious like the OP’s, though.

I got back a good and non-form letter from Barta.

Very good points

LOL. I don't know what's worse, writing that letter to Barta or admitting that you did. LOL

I was thinking I’d open this and find, “September 2014: The last time Iowa State beat Iowa in football.”

😁

Dear Gary and Kirk,

Winning the B1G West at 10-2 and playing in the B1G Championship where anything is possible is not good enough. Do better. We the fans demand it. We deserve it. Do better. Ok? Just do better.

Sincerely,

FWIWsomethingsomethinglotsofnumbers

Was 2014 the year we lost both SCHERFF and Andrew Donnal for the year in the span of just a few plays. That killed the season, for sure.

There was a lot of rumbling on EVERY board going into the 2015 season.

And with a much better offense the hawks would have won 85% of their games.

That is the OP's point.

So many of you argue against your own wishes. Nine and 10 win seasons could be 11 or 12 win seasons.

8 win seasons could be 10 win seasons. A more high powered wide open offense would lure in better skill player recruits. Quit accepting 100+ offensive rankings so much when with the hawk defense and special teams even a mid-level offense would mean championships

And with a much better offense the hawks would have won 85% of their games.
Teams winning 85% of games since 2015: Alabama, Clemson, Ohio State. That's it.
Everybody wants to win 85% of their games.
Edit we're 12th in total team wins since 2015. I'd love a better offense but at the same time lots of teams would kill for where we are at too.
What you're missing is that the way OP wrote the letter he was pretty dumb so it is fun to dunk on him.

Last edited:
Was 2014 the year we lost both SCHERFF and Andrew Donnal for the year in the span of just a few plays. That killed the season, for sure.

There was a lot of rumbling on EVERY board going into the 2015 season.
That was 2012.

The one I've heard about 2014 is that KF lost a grandchild shortly after birth due to complications either before or even during the season.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT