ADVERTISEMENT

Adam Sandler in serious roles

HawkOptimist

HB Heisman
Gold Member
Jan 5, 2006
I’m sure I’ll get some Pepsi, but anyone see the trailer for Adam Sandler’s upcoming movie, Uncut Gems? Looks solid, and so far has a 92 percent rating on Rotten Tomatoes.

Since his role in Reign Over Me about a guy who loses his wife and kid in one of the planes on 9/11, I’ve always been interested in seeing Sandler in more dramas, as I think he’s pretty good at it.

Nothing he’s done comedy wise, IMO, tops Happy Gilmore. But a lot of his comedies since have stunk. This may be a breakout role for him that leads to more serious roles.

Had no idea he’d done that many films..

This will always be Adam Sandler to me, dammit!

hqdefault.jpg

Reactions: TDJ7
It's funny, he didn't do that much for me in Punch Drunk Love, which everyone loved. However, I thought he was excellent in Funny People, and phenomenal in The Meyerowitz Stories. I thought that was one of the best movies of the year.

Adam Sandler is a good example of a guy
with no talent who works in movies. He has
no serious acting skills and makes plenty
of humorless films.

Reactions: royhobbs2
Talked with a movie reviewer this weekend at the office Christmas party- he said Sandler was great in this.

Reactions: HumbleP1e
I’m sure I’ll get some Pepsi, but anyone see the trailer for Adam Sandler’s upcoming movie, Uncut Gems? Looks solid, and so far has a 92 percent rating on Rotten Tomatoes.

Since his role in Reign Over Me about a guy who loses his wife and kid in one of the planes on 9/11, I’ve always been interested in seeing Sandler in more dramas, as I think he’s pretty good at it.

Nothing he’s done comedy wise, IMO, tops Happy Gilmore. But a lot of his comedies since have stunk. This may be a breakout role for him that leads to more serious roles.

I thought he was great in "Reign Over Me".

Just saw Uncut Gems.

A few people who have read my posts on here or warchant might recall me as extremely opinionated about movies. But I literally don't really know what to make of this, and can't decide whether I liked it or not. It wasn't like, "Well, I like this part, but I really hated this part." It's more like I liked it and disliked it, simultaneously and for the same reasons?

Even that I think makes it sound more enigmatic than it is, like it's a Mullholland Drive or Upstream Color type of film that's hard to wrap your mind around...but it's not at all.

I really can't think of a movie that I was as quite ambivalent about like this. I think it can totally be missed, but I also bet a lot of people on here will love it. I feel like I could write 4-5 paragraphs on why it sucked, and another 4-5 contradicting that. Maybe my mind will settle on one side or the other with time.

As for Sandler...I feel almost the same way about his performance that I feel about the movie. From one perspective, his performance is absolutely great. On the other side of the coin, it isn't exactly revelatory at all. If you give him credit for any actual acting chops at all, what he's doing here shouldn't be a surprise. He's done MUCH more interesting and challenging things than this. In a way, if you just added jokes to the script, it would be a totally wheelhouse Sandler persona from a forgettable comedy. But does it totally work here? 100%.

I guess I recommend it. My gut feeling is that it will be well liked by a lot of people.

He’s great in anything that isn’t lazy.

I think this is true. However, I don't think his Netflix movies are all equally terrible. I think "The Week Of" he's actually quite good in, and I think the movie is borderline good.

I think "Sandy Wexler" is not really a good movie, but his performance is interesting.

"Murder Mystery" is actually pretty decent, but his performance pretty pedestrian. "Ridiculous 6" is unwatchable, and "The Do Over" is not good, but was watchable, at least to me.

None of them really put it all together into something really good.

I thought "Meyerowitz Stories" was actually fantastic, and a fantastic performance, but it was not part of his production deal, so I don't think that it really counts as a "Adam Sandler Netflix movie."

I don't know, I kind of think Waterboy and Billy Madison are tied for his best. And I struggle to take him in a serious role because he has been a clown for so long. And I know the humor I am going to get when I go into one of the movies.

I don't know, I kind of think Waterboy and Billy Madison are tied for his best. And I struggle to take him in a serious role because he has been a clown for so long. And I know the humor I am going to get when I go into one of the movies.

I'm not an Adam Sandler fan-boy or anything, but I think he gets kind of a weird bad rap. Is his record for comedy that bad, compared to our popular comedic actors? What great comedy actor has such a more stellar batting average than Adam Sandler?

The guy has what, 6-7 true abominations in his filmography? And I totally agree those may be irredeemable.

But he's made a LOT of movies. He's made a good handful of inspired comedies, a handful of strong dramatic or semi-dramatic roles, and the vast majority of his work is just mediocre, forgettable comedies. Unremarkable either for good or for bad...which is what makes up the majority of all comedic actors' resumes. I'd say his absolute shit-bomb % isn't any higher than most comedic actors.

I think the key to the resentment, is that he's remarkably bomb-proof. Comedic actors have a pretty short shelf life and generally aren't allowed too many crapfests before Hollywood pretty much abandons them. Look at someone like Chevy Chase, literally at the top of his field, really made all his classics from 1980-86. But he made The Couch Trip and Funny Farm in 1987, and his run was over (save a Vacation sequel or two that leveraged an established property).

Do guys like Dan Ackroyd or Eddie Murphy have that much more crap-free resumes?

I'd say that the backlash against Sandler is mainly because he is SO prolific and has been able to keep making movies even beyond some real crap. You're not supposed to be able to do that. It probably also has to do with HOW his bad movies are bad...they are infantile, puerile and borderline offensive in a way that a bad Steve Martin movie, let's say, was not.

I guess you could hold up a guy like Bill Murray as the counter to Sandler's career, but Bill Murray never wanted to be a broad comedic actor, and actually started avoiding broad comedy as soon as he could. Good for him, but I don't think you can really compare a guy who made like 12 straight broad comedies to somebody who's made like three times that many.

kind of a Tom Cruise reversal with Tropic Thunder

His tribute to Farley was touching. Thus, he's got talent in my book.

I'm not an Adam Sandler fan-boy or anything, but I think he gets kind of a weird bad rap. Is his record for comedy that bad, compared to our popular comedic actors? What great comedy actor has such a more stellar batting average than Adam Sandler?

The guy has what, 6-7 true abominations in his filmography? And I totally agree those may be irredeemable.

But he's made a LOT of movies. He's made a good handful of inspired comedies, a handful of strong dramatic or semi-dramatic roles, and the vast majority of his work is just mediocre, forgettable comedies. Unremarkable either for good or for bad...which is what makes up the majority of all comedic actors' resumes. I'd say his absolute shit-bomb % isn't any higher than most comedic actors.

I think the key to the resentment, is that he's remarkably bomb-proof. Comedic actors have a pretty short shelf life and generally aren't allowed too many crapfests before Hollywood pretty much abandons them. Look at someone like Chevy Chase, literally at the top of his field, really made all his classics from 1980-86. But he made The Couch Trip and Funny Farm in 1987, and his run was over (save a Vacation sequel or two that leveraged an established property).

I'd say that the backlash against Sandler is mainly because he is SO prolific and has been able to keep making movies even beyond some real crap. You're not supposed to be able to do that. It probably also has to do with HOW his bad movies are bad...they are infantile, puerile and borderline offensive in a way that a bad Steve Martin movie, let's say, was not.

I guess you could hold up a guy like Bill Murray as the counter to Sandler's career, but Bill Murray never wanted to be a broad comedic actor, and actually started avoiding broad comedy as soon as he could. Good for him, but I don't think you can really compare a guy who made like 12 straight broad comedies to somebody who's made like three times that many.

I just saw it today. I liked it. It's directed by the same guys who made Good Time which you can watch for free on Amazon Prime. Kind of the same theme, a few days in the life of somebody in trouble in NYC. Obviously Good Time is much more seedy as it's with a lower class where Good Time is more upper class. But same film style and music style. It's pretty raw.

The ending absolutely perfect but I am not sure if I needed to wait that long to see the ending..it's 2 hours and 15 minutes. I got the point pretty early on. Albeit there is a nice plot twist in the middle of the movie. I would definitely recommend but then again, I know a lot of people who would hate it.

PS - Kevin Garnett is amazing in this movie and I was never a fan.

I think the bar is different. I find Sandler funny in his good movies. Even his mediocre are still laughable. His stinkers are definitely bad though. But I don't view his high, his best moments as high as Murray, Murphy etc. His humor is also a bit more goofy, not as intellectual as the others IMO.

I have nothing against him, I like a bunch of his movies. He definitely hustles and makes a lot. Also seems like a nice guy based on the interviews.

Reactions: Nole Lou
I saw the movie today. I have to agree with the OP as I was somewhat ambivalent- didn’t love it, didn’t hate it. Good story, but just didn’t love it. We went based on the very high rotten tomatoe’s ratings.

Murder Mystery blew me way.... I couldn’t believe they pumped out that pile of trash. If I found out it was entirely ad libbed and filmed/edited over a weekend I wouldn’t be shocked

I just saw it today. I liked it. It's directed by the same guys who made Good Time which you can watch for free on Amazon Prime. Kind of the same theme, a few days in the life of somebody in trouble in NYC. Obviously Good Time is much more seedy as it's with a lower class where Good Time is more upper class. But same film style and music style. It's pretty raw.

The ending absolutely perfect but I am not sure if I needed to wait that long to see the ending..it's 2 hours and 15 minutes. I got the point pretty early on. Albeit there is a nice plot twist in the middle of the movie. I would definitely recommend but then again, I know a lot of people who would hate it.

PS - Kevin Garnett is amazing in this movie and I was never a fan.

That's crazy, because I almost said it felt like a ripoff of Good Time, but I didn't know if anyone would have seen it. I never imagined it was the same people, because it's practically the same movie. In fact, Good Time specifically was part of my ambivalence. I kept thinking...

You like Good Time.
This is just like Good Time.
It's not objectively worse than Good Time in any way.
So why don't you like this more?

I guess it kind of felt like this was a bigger movie with more resources than Good Time, so I could expect more.

Reactions: JupiterHawk
I think the bar is different. I find Sandler funny in his good movies. Even his mediocre are still laughable. His stinkers are definitely bad though. But I don't view his high, his best moments as high as Murray, Murphy etc. His humor is also a bit more goofy, not as intellectual as the others IMO.

I have nothing against him, I like a bunch of his movies. He definitely hustles and makes a lot. Also seems like a nice guy based on the interviews.

I think that's very fair. I like Billy Madison and Happy Gilmore, but not nearly as much as others seem to.

I feel like I neither like Sandler's "classics" as much as most people, nor revile the rest of his career as much as everyone else. I do think he's got a handful that are execrable, but the vast majority, which is a lot of movies, are perfectly tolerable.

Just saw Uncut Gems.

A few people who have read my posts on here or warchant might recall me as extremely opinionated about movies. But I literally don't really know what to make of this, and can't decide whether I liked it or not. It wasn't like, "Well, I like this part, but I really hated this part." It's more like I liked it and disliked it, simultaneously and for the same reasons?

Even that I think makes it sound more enigmatic than it is, like it's a Mullholland Drive or Upstream Color type of film that's hard to wrap your mind around...but it's not at all.

I really can't think of a movie that I was as quite ambivalent about like this. I think it can totally be missed, but I also bet a lot of people on here will love it. I feel like I could write 4-5 paragraphs on why it sucked, and another 4-5 contradicting that. Maybe my mind will settle on one side or the other with time.

As for Sandler...I feel almost the same way about his performance that I feel about the movie. From one perspective, his performance is absolutely great. On the other side of the coin, it isn't exactly revelatory at all. If you give him credit for any actual acting chops at all, what he's doing here shouldn't be a surprise. He's done MUCH more interesting and challenging things than this. In a way, if you just added jokes to the script, it would be a totally wheelhouse Sandler persona from a forgettable comedy. But does it totally work here? 100%.

I guess I recommend it. My gut feeling is that it will be well liked by a lot of people.

Saw it today. I think I didn't like it, but I'm basically with you.

I respect him for doing goofy fun movie with his buddies and getting rich and paying hundreds of people at happy Madison to do it. The movies might be duds but I get why he does it.

I haven't seen it yet and am trying to follow the thread here without reading any opinions till I see it, so I apologize if my post goes off track. I never read reviews or get opinions ahead of viewings if I can help it.

I've seen just shy of 4000 films. I have written a handful of screenplays and just entered a contest for the first time. Crossing fingers... I say that as footing for this statement, and it is fitting for this thread on Sandler in a serious role: probably one of my favorite "actor discovery film" moments of all time was watching Jim Carrey in Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind. If you look up his IMDB filmography, he probably had a few other non-coms before it, but he had just done Ace, Dumb & Dumber, Liar Liar, etc. and this was my first view of him against type. I'm, to this day, not sure if that movie was great or not, but it's in my head as a "great" film largely because he was so effective against type.

That's what I'm hoping for Sandler. I avoided his films in the recent past frankly. This could be epic. If okay, I will post after viewing...hopefully, this week.

Saw Uncut Gems Friday. Here is my take:

- The opening scene made me dizzy.
- The cinematography was horrendous.
- The soundtrack is horrendous.
- The first 90 minutes are HORRIBLE.
- The last 30 minutes are awesome.
- KG is good.
- Mike Francesca is really good.
- Sandler was good.
- His mistress is smokin' trashy hot.

Overall, one of the worst movies I have ever seen. If it weren't for the final 30 minutes, it would be the worst movie I have ever seen. Total waste of money and time. It was my first movie in the theater since 2014's "Fury" and I can't believe I broke my streak on that pile of trash.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT