ADVERTISEMENT

AJ and his redshirt

hawkaeg80

HR MVP
Dec 28, 2014
Cedar Rapids
Couldn't he wrestle this year in 4 meets and keep his redshirt if so desired. Big Ten tournament would not be able to redshirt. Just sort of interesting I think going forward.

• Haha
Reactions: okcpokefan12
Assuming you're talking about AJ Ferrari, no; he can't wrestle in any duals and still keep a redshirt. He doesn't have a redshirt to begin with and that rule is only for true freshman anyway.

Reactions: goldenanimal
Couldn't he wrestle this year in 4 meets and keep his redshirt if so desired. Big Ten tournament would not be able to redshirt. Just sort of interesting I think going forward.

No. That’s a true freshman only rule. And he’s already redshirted. Your idea ignores the eligibility clock. Posted this in the other thread:

Athletes have 5 years to compete in 4. (And he came after the Covid year so that would not be relevant.)

He won his championship in 2020-2021.

And he competed too many times in 2021-2022 season for a medical hardship.

He didn’t compete 2022-2023 which would essentially be his redshirt.

So he has the rest of this season and then next (2024-2025) would be his last season.

Reactions: el dub
No. That’s a true freshman only rule. And he’s already redshirted. Your idea ignores the eligibility clock. Posted this in the other thread:

Athletes have 5 years to compete in 4. (And he came after the Covid year so that would not be relevant.)

So he has the rest of this season and then next (2024-2025) would be his last season.
Except you’re wrong. 2020-2021 was the free year given. So he has 3 years remaining including this year.

Correction to this, 2020-2021 was the "free" Covid year so that didn't count towards eligibility.

Outside of that, he competed in 2021-2022, effectively redshirted in 2022-2023, and so would have 3 years left of eligibility including this year.

Spooner is wrong?

Sesame Street Popcorn GIF by Muppet Wiki

Last edited:
Correction to this, 2020-2021 was the "free" Covid year so that didn't count towards eligibility.

Outside of that, he competed in 2021-2022, effectively redshirted in 2022-2023, and so would have 3 years left of eligibility including this year.
He mentioned on his instagram this fall that he has 3-4 years left, but maybe he doesn’t know what he talking about, unless he thinks he can get a medical year. Most of you guys who know the rules much better than me claim he wrestled too many matches the year of the accident, but I would be happy with three years to recruit a high end 197.

Reactions: Slim45 and el dub

Winner. Thanks for the correction. Well done. It’s funny we missed it in the other thread.

Regardless, there are no more red shirts to wear. He has year and the two following.

Winner. Thanks for the correction. Well done. It’s funny we missed it in the other thread.

Regardless, there are no more red shirts to wear. He has year and the two following.
You killed my fun! I thought it would be more of a battle for the admission. Lol
New respect for you! 😄
I still don't like you much old man. 😆
Quote from Christmas with the Kranks.
Funny movie, for those that haven't seen it, dial it up.
Tim Allen and Jamie Lee Curtis.

• Haha
Reactions: Sharky1203
You killed my fun! I thought it would be more of a battle for the admission. Lol
New respect for you! 😄
I still don't like you much old man. 😆
Quote from Christmas with the Kranks.
Funny movie, for those that haven't seen it, dial it up.
Tim Allen and Jamie Lee Curtis.

Holy hell it’s even worse than you thought. I said 3 years left IN THAT VERY POST in the other thread then came here, copied the post, and said 2. I wish I could blame drinking.

Holy hell it’s even worse than you thought. I said 3 years left IN THAT VERY POST in the other thread then came here, copied the post, and said 2. I wish I could blame drinking.
I didn't think anything. Just saw the opp to needle. 😆
All good brother, you aren't wrong very often.
This is how a nice guy responds, please take note.

I think he is eligible for an Olympic Redshirt, but he would not be allowed to wrestle in any matches if he takes that (and would not be enrolled in the school, either), and it would leave him with three future years.

It's the holidays Spooner - and nobody is perfect. Not even you. Everything I read says he has three years counting this year. No more - no less.

Those east coast Italian guys know how to keep their mouths shut so bad things don’t happen to them😜😜

Oh he definitely has that East coast Italian thing going on.

I'm sure it's going to rub many Iowa fans the wrong way.

Hopefully he stays in the shadows but I doubt that's going to happen.

Oh he definitely has that East coast Italian thing going on.

I'm sure it's going to rub many Iowa fans the wrong way.

Hopefully he stays in the shadows but I doubt that's going to happen.
As long as youse guys don’t give the Italian guy any sh*t you’ll be fine. As soon as you say something about his kid(s) however, he’ll be very quick to tell you what you can do with yourself. If you want to escalate after that, he’ll be fine doing that as well. How far you want to go?

Reactions: Grip220
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT