ADVERTISEMENT

AJ Green

As I suspected he feels more comfortable on the smaller stage. He will be a solid player for the Panthers I believe.

I get why he went where he did but I'm shocked he didn't take a chance on going somewhere a little higher.

shocked?....hum he wants to play for the school he grew up with that his Dad happens to coach at. I would have been shocked if he went anywhere else. I'm sure his early commitment tells the little highers...don't bother.

identical scenario as Connor & Patrick...in Patrick's case he isnt even getting contacted.

His dad has an axe to grind with Iowa since he's at UNI. No chance of him ever taking a look at Iowa anyway. No big surprise.

What is his problem with Iowa?

There's just underlying bad blood from the UNI program since we will no longer play them up there, etc. Fran is tagged as the epicenter of that change. I seriously doubt that being on the current UNI staff he'd let his son play for Fran under these sentiments even though it's a better opportunity. Let's face it which league would a player rather play in? The B1G or a 1 bid no Creighton or Witchita State MVC?

Reactions: ih8iast8 and port3
He's definitely a great player, but having seen him play several times, I think Bohannon is a better floor general and shooter, and also Ellingson is (now) a better shooter. Green's probably a better fit at UNI for all kinds of reasons, as pointed out.

He's definitely a great player, but having seen him play several times, I think Bohannon is a better floor general and shooter, and also Ellingson is (now) a better shooter. Green's probably a better fit at UNI for all kinds of reasons, as pointed out.

Having seen them both play since sophs in high school I think Greene looks better than Bohannon at the same stage. With that being wrote I've been a little shocked at how well he's doing in the Big 10 vs the MVC. high school.

At the end, Green had better options than Iowa and turned them down, so your logic is a little flawed. He is a consensus top 100 player He chose UNI for family reasons, not because if his skill set fitting the MVC more so than the Big 10.

Having seen them both play since sophs in high school I think Greene looks better than Bohannon at the same stage. With that being wrote I've been a little shocked at how well he's doing in the Big 10 vs the MVC. high school.

when you can shoot like JBo you can play in the B1G...
when you have an experienced Head Coach you can play in the B1G

At the end, Green had better options than Iowa and turned them down, so your logic is a little flawed. He is a consensus top 100 player He chose UNI for family reasons, not because if his skill set fitting the MVC more so than the Big 10.

Rankings? Offers? Green is still in high school while Bohannon made the All Frosh Big Ten team. We can probably move past rankings and offers at this point. It doesn't mean Green won't be a talented player for UNI, but let's give Bohannon a little credit.

Rankings? Offers? Green is still in high school while Bohannon made the All Frosh Big Ten team. We can probably move past rankings and offers at this point. It doesn't mean Green won't be a talented player for UNI, but let's give Bohannon a little credit.
The earlier poster was stating that Green wouldn't be good enough to play at Iowa, that UNI is a better fit. I was pointing out how flawed that logic is.

The earlier poster was stating that Green wouldn't be good enough to play at Iowa, that UNI is a better fit. I was pointing out how flawed that logic is.

well we will never know...its all opinion as of now as he will not be playing in the B1G nor Iowa.

I'm a little confused about better options. I think his option was to play for Dad who happens to be a coach at UNI. Good 4 him.

Kid is a top 100 player. Unfortunately we were never in the mix but let's not start the whole big fish small pond thing and Ellingson is better nonsense. Kid is a player, plain and simple. I actually think he would have been a great fit at UVA but it's pretty obvious why he wants to stay at home.

Reactions: Ihawkhoops
Good for him (seriously). UNI is a fine school to play hoops for.

Some Iowa fans just have to understand, not all players want to play for Iowa even if it appears to them Iowa is clearly the better program, situation or opportunity..

Reactions: littlez
What little I have seen of him he was very impressive. Wish we could have gotten him but, best of luck when not playing the Hawks!

Green is a big time player but Carton is the kind of talent we need to land at the PG spot. Carton is an explosive athlete that can create off the dribble for himself and others. With our fast breaking style, he fits our program better than Green...this is no knock on AJ as he will be awesome in UNI's system. We get a playmaker like Carton on board with the talent committed and we could legitimately make it to an Elite 8 or Final Four in a few years. Who is our last great lead playmaking PG? Oliver?

Good for him (seriously). UNI is a fine school to play hoops for.

Some Iowa fans just have to understand, not all players want to play for Iowa even if it appears to them Iowa is clearly the better program, situation or opportunity..
I think most get that, but cant fathom why he would pick MVC over the chance to play ACC, Big 12 competition for 20 games a season

But the kid has to do what is best for him and family . Nothing wrong with that

AJ really never had a chance. Schools were light on recruiting him because they all thought he'd end up at UNI. UNI also targeting a 4 star AAU teammate with similar offer sheet. All 3 schools could be incredibly competitive again like 2014-15, and it's good for the state.

I notice Green's Dad got a nice promotion and presumably a fat raise for delivering his son to the Panthers. Nothing wrong with a kid wanting to pay for his Dad but funny how the promotion was announced only AFTER the kid committed. Pretty obvious what was going on here, it doesn't take a rocket surgeon

A friend taught AJ back in elementary school. He set a goal of being a great basketball player, worked hard and made it happen. I look forward to seeing him play for UNI and wish them well when not facing Iowa.

I notice Green's Dad got a nice promotion and presumably a fat raise for delivering his son to the Panthers. Nothing wrong with a kid wanting to pay for his Dad but funny how the promotion was announced only AFTER the kid committed. Pretty obvious what was going on here, it doesn't take a rocket surgeon
It should be noted that Kyle Green previously held that position under Jake before he left for a year to coach in Wisconsin. I do find it interesting that he waited for 4 or 5 years to return his old title.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT