ADVERTISEMENT

Alternate Uniforms

I knew this uniform reminded me of something. 1980s movie with Tom Cruise...All the Right Moves.

Minus the black pants.

All%2BThe%2BRight%2BMoves%2B2.jpg

Only thing I’d change is go black pants. Too much gold IMO

I've never been a fan of the alternate uniform concept in general, but it's here, and it ain't goin' away anytime soon, so . . .

Iowa, and virtually every other team that has gone alternate, has shown how difficult it is to come up with a good uniform. Most alternates around the country have ranged from silly to stupid. Ohio State has worn some hideous threads, as has UCLA and just about everyone else, including the Hawkeyes.

This particular alternate is blah for me. It's not hideous, but it's certainly not great. I definitely agree that black pants, or at least a much wider black stripe, would have helped.

It is what it is. The players seem to enjoy it, and the rest of us just have to live with it. We all know that KF isn't a fan, so if he's willing to go along with it for the good of the kids, then that's where I am on this whole thing too.

Pretty sure holding penalties will be pretty obvious! Don't think for one second that wasn't a consideration.

I like the look. It is for one game only and the team seems excited. They are nowhere near as hideous as the Steelers bumble bee throwbacks.
If we are 5-0 with road wins @IaSt & @ Meatchicken going into that game, less people will be put-off. Besides, night game with a million beers in me, I could care less at that point. Just win and I could care less what they are wearing.
Reminds me of when Dennis Green was coaching the Vikings. He abstained from them wearing the purple pants with white jerseys. Polarizing those purple pants are with the fan base.

Reactions: Menace Sockeyes
the only alt unis I've liked were 2015 vs. Minnesota.
General comment: why we call that standard Iowa yellow color gold is beyond me...

Wow. I am surprised by how extreme reactions are about these uniforms. The players are probably excited to have something different to wear. In the end it's how they play in the game that really matters and how they will be remembered. I hope it's a "W" and I don't care if it's only by a point.

Last edited:
I think an opinion poll of the recruits for the alt unis would be interesting.....TK?

Are the alt's a possible recruiting tool?

I like them. Iowa has a great color scheme to work from. Some day I'd love to see them do a matte gold or black helmet. I understand the helmets are expensive ... I give Iowa props ... The majority of kids love this stuff and that's most important. As a player, I'd be excited ... I'd give these an 7 or 8 out of 10 ...

I've never been a fan of the alternate uniform concept in general, but it's here, and it ain't goin' away anytime soon, so . . .

Iowa, and virtually every other team that has gone alternate, has shown how difficult it is to come up with a good uniform. Most alternates around the country have ranged from silly to stupid. Ohio State has worn some hideous threads, as has UCLA and just about everyone else, including the Hawkeyes.

This particular alternate is blah for me. It's not hideous, but it's certainly not great. I definitely agree that black pants, or at least a much wider black stripe, would have helped.

It is what it is. The players seem to enjoy it, and the rest of us just have to live with it. We all know that KF isn't a fan, so if he's willing to go along with it for the good of the kids, then that's where I am on this whole thing too.
I like how traditional Iowa is in terms of sticking with the same unis game in and game out year after year. I think it’s pretty cool to get creative once a year and try to come up with some sweet looking alts though. The ones worn for the Ohio State win a couple years back were awesome, and these ones aren’t bad (like I said, a little too much gold). The more I see the jerseys, I think they’re pretty sweet though

It definitely is something that the players get up and get excited for though which is an added bonus

My sons (10 and 7) love them. I don’t hate them but would probably like them better without the banana peels. My guess is the younger crowd will like them better then the older crowd.

To be fair I'd bet that is true of any alternatives.

Reactions: pink shizzle
They’re pitch black, so...week old banana peels?

Seriously, as someone who at 13 went to watch Sedrick Shaw run rampant on the Spartans in East Lansing in 1995, and fondly remembers the Sun Bowl against Pac 10 co-champs Washington, I have a soft spot for the Hawk wings.
Was at both games as well. I vividly remember Sed destroying a metal bench during a play at Sparty. Even the steel bench couldn't stop him and it sit empty the rest of day. One of the coolest things I've seen.

Was at both games as well. I vividly remember Sed destroying a metal bench during a play at Sparty. Even the steel bench couldn't stop him and it sit empty the rest of day. One of the coolest things I've seen.
That bench weren't steel.

A) all the old farts (myself included) who dislike them and prefer the 'traditional' unis, please refer back to the OP video of the players reaction upon reveal ...it's for them and the recruits, it's what gets them excited

B) definitely will look good under the lights at Kinnick

C) Nate needs to eat more salads

Where is Chris Sale when we need him?!?

Clever and appropriate. Well done. You might want to give him a call. He only works one day a week. Just be sure to tell him to bring his scissors. :)

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT