ADVERTISEMENT

Alternate Uniforms

why we call that standard Iowa yellow color gold is beyond me...

Iowa's official school colors are black and gold. Back in the day, Iowa did wear "gold" as opposed to the yellow we've seen for decades. This Kinnick photo shows Nile in a gold helmet with (barely visible) gold numbers on his jersey. The pin is more like the yellow of today. I'd like to see a compromise that would lean more toward the gold rather than the yellow.

images

Here's a blurb from Iowa's own website:

"The primary color palette for the University of Iowa is black and gold. The official colors play an important role as an instantly recognizable element of the UI’s visual identity.

"The primary gold for the University of Iowa is the spot color PMS 116 C.

ffcd00-swatch.png

PMS 116 C
CMYK: 0 14 100 0
HEX: #FFCD00
RGB: 255 205 0
Madeira Thread: 910-1069 Classic Rayon #40

black_swatch.png

Black
CMYK: 0 0 0 100
HEX: #000000
Rich Black: 40 30 30 100."

For more, visit https://brand.uiowa.edu/color-palette.

Last edited by a moderator:
Basically, these will look awesome if we win, and ugly if we lose.
No doubt, which is why many are still fond of the black and grey uni's we wore for the OSU shellacking. They were pretty cool overall, but its hard to remember that game without fond memories. I would take another such beat down of PSU, and remember these yellow alts with love....:)

The feathers and stripes are far too busy. The monochrome unis are cool but all the other content is just silly.

1 tiger hawk, name and number, that's all you need.

Iowa's official school colors are black and gold. Back in the day, Iowa did wear "gold" as opposed to the yellow we've seen for decades. This Kinnick photo shows Nile in a gold helmet with (barely visible) gold numbers on his jersey. The pin is more like the yellow of today. I'd like to see a compromise that would lean more toward the gold rather than the yellow.

images

Here's a blurb from Iowa's own website:

"The primary color palette for the University of Iowa is black and gold. The official colors play an important role as an instantly recognizable element of the UI’s visual identity.

"The primary gold for the University of Iowa is the spot color PMS 116 C.

ffcd00-swatch.png

PMS 116 C
CMYK: 0 14 100 0
HEX: #FFCD00
RGB: 255 205 0
Madeira Thread: 910-1069 Classic Rayon #40

black_swatch.png

Black
CMYK: 0 0 0 100
HEX: #000000
Rich Black: 40 30 30 100."

For more, visit https://brand.uiowa.edu/color-palette.
Well we're not Purdue so.....

Btw, it's funny. Both Iowa and Purdue were originally black and "old" gold. Purdue still maintains those colors while Iowa goes by black and gold, however......Iowa has obviously gone to gold among other brighter shades of yellow :confused:, while Purdue has actually changed to a more duller, faded, bronze-ish shade of gold than what "old gold" actually is.

Iowa's throwback unis from 2004 which incorporated the old gold from the 1939 unis look nothing like the gold that Purdue currently sports.

Point being, since Purdue is no longer committed to that shade, I say Iowa works on future alternate unis featuring that actual old gold color.

Three things:
1) the players' reactions...love it so I love them.
2). Never considered a pet Hawk till now...is that even legal? ("What are ya, a park ranger?")
3). Why hasn't Kirk seen these yet? (Just playin')
Yeah ... I think the real key is that the players are pumped up about it. I think that throwing the players the occasional bone is a good thing. Irrespective of what I think about 'em ... good for the program for going out of their way to do something to excite the players.

The more I think about this I wonder if there would not have been the banana peel jersey in the mid '90s what some people who hate these would think. Just being similar makes people revert back to the thinking of the banana peel jersey being awful. Yes they were awful but these have similarities but are not exactly the same.

Outsider here visiting the board (Arkansas Razorback fan). I know my opinion is not worth much, but I must say, Iowa’s home and away jerseys are some of the greatest in football. I’m jealous, and continuously hope Arkansas returns to our more classic look extremely soon. Good luck during the season!

Welcome! And thank you for sharing.

Let's do one where left side of everything is Gold and the right side is Black. Helmet, jersey, pants, shoes, socks, jock strap, etc. With black tiger hawk and stripes on gold side and gold tiger hawk and stripes on the black side.

Has anyone seen these for sale anywhere? I found one on Ebay is all.

Too often, my section is either striped gold or whole stadium is gold and I don't have one I love.
Would be nice to have a "go to" for those games. My ANF shirts work when its warm but lacking as fall hits.

Anyone who watches this, and still doesn’t like these needs to get their head examined
I hate them.

Hmmm, guess I shouldn’t use the word hate or a certain ISU poster with semantics issues will come by to explain why I shouldn’t hate.

Let me rephrase. I think they’re ugly but oh, well. They should let me design the next ones, they would be friggin’ awesome!

I like them but only if all eleven Iowa players are wearing the falconry gloves too (hawkry gloves?).

On both arms.

With a hawk on each glove (tacky for backs and receivers, of course).

Each noble bird majestically perched but with wings slightly extended.

An avian raider package! PSU will not know which predators will fly down or up field to wreak havoc, and which hawks will claw and peck the bejesus out of the Nittany Ninny directly opposing them.

Oh! And this added look will also distract from the silly banana peels.

Reactions: moneybags714
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT