ADVERTISEMENT

Alumni Committee Dissolved

This thread is a wonderful example of the current polarization in our country and the role that confirmation bias plays in that polarization.

As to how I reacted to the Gazette article? I cringed. The optics are awful. I’m eminently frustrated that the powers-that-be seem to be oblivious to the reasonably anticipated reaction to such action.

You want to dissolve the committee and reformulate it? Have at it. Just don’t do it a couple of days after singing a new contract with large guaranteed payments.
You want to re-work the committee? Again, have at it. But create the concept, establish a concrete plan and then dissolve the existing committee. Saying that you are “working” on a new concept doesn’t exactly inspire confidence.
You don’t create a point-by-point rebuttal of Porter’s recommendation to resign? I get that they are hamstrung because of the lawsuit (anything that is publicly released is part of discovery). But - c’mon - it doesn’t take a rocket scientist to expect blow back if you (a) sign a large extension; (b) learn that your hand chosen chair for the committee has called for your resignation and (c) disband the committee. Having a thorough detailed response as to why you took that action isn’t a difficult concept to grasp. Thanking the committee members, detailing what suggestions/recommendations have been implemented, acknowledging that the goal of the program is to ALWAYS improve - on the field, off the field, in the classroom, etc and that will remain the case and why the new committee will focus on the following issues ….

It’s. Not. That. Hard.
I agree with the confirmation bias angle but I don't think the optics are as bad as you say. Only bad to people who want to see it as bad.

I agree with the confirmation bias angle but I don't think the optics are as bad as you say. Only bad to people who want to see it as bad.
Not sure about that.

I don’t want to see it as a bad thing and I cringed when I read the story. That written, I’m in the risk management / advocate business so perhaps that is my own “confirmation bias!!!”

Reactions: littlez
This thread is a wonderful example of the current polarization in our country and the role that confirmation bias plays in that polarization.

As to how I reacted to the Gazette article? I cringed. The optics are awful. I’m eminently frustrated that the powers-that-be seem to be oblivious to the reasonably anticipated reaction to such action.

You want to dissolve the committee and reformulate it? Have at it. Just don’t do it a couple of days after singing a new contract with large guaranteed payments.
You want to re-work the committee? Again, have at it. But create the concept, establish a concrete plan and then dissolve the existing committee. Saying that you are “working” on a new concept doesn’t exactly inspire confidence.
You don’t create a point-by-point rebuttal of Porter’s recommendation to resign? I get that they are hamstrung because of the lawsuit (anything that is publicly released is part of discovery). But - c’mon - it doesn’t take a rocket scientist to expect blow back if you (a) sign a large extension; (b) learn that your hand chosen chair for the committee has called for your resignation and (c) disband the committee. Having a thorough detailed response as to why you took that action isn’t a difficult concept to grasp. Thanking the committee members, detailing what suggestions/recommendations have been implemented, acknowledging that the goal of the program is to ALWAYS improve - on the field, off the field, in the classroom, etc and that will remain the case and why the new committee will focus on the following issues ….

It’s. Not. That. Hard.
It's been in the works ... READ! Youre butthurt bc u don't like KF, nothing else..quit being a complete dbag and moron.

Porter sounded decent today. Don’t agree with him and I think he misconstrued the role of the committee. I did chuckle at one of the hosts lamenting the fact that people were linking politics in responses about him and then leads the show linking the athletic department to politics.

Reactions: Section25
Not sure about that.

I don’t want to see it as a bad thing and I cringed when I read the story. That written, I’m in the risk management / advocate business so perhaps that is my own “confirmation bias!!!”
I think how the story is frames is my biggest issue. First, the headline: They say it was "abruptly" disbanded. That puts the story with a negative twist to begin with. Second, they frame it as KF made the move after a contentious meeting. The meeting referenced was in October. While technically yes that did precede it. They way they frame it makes it seam like KF came out of that meeting pissed off and ended it.
KF thanked the volunteers for their time and states what he has learned from the committee. He also states that the committee will be reformed in a way that best serves the program moving forward.
It is clear to me that Porter thinks BF is still an issue and KF won't get rid of him. I am guessing one reason Porter may have been upset with BF is because of the ESPN article that was released a couple days before Porter sent out his email.

Reactions: MikeyHawk

It’s. Not. That. Hard.
Why did the committee chair, Porter, on his own bring this up now if it occurred last October if you really want to talk about timing?

From the article I linked:

The Advisory Committee was created in June 2020 so I could gain insight and expertise from a small group of former players and coaches from other programs,” Ferentz wrote The Gazette in a statement, which also was sent to The Athletic. “It was important to me to listen to a variety of different perspectives so I could better understand how to make real, impactful changes that create a more welcoming environment for every player.

“I am tremendously appreciative of the time and dedication of those volunteer members who shared ideas and best practices. It is helpful to have a sounding board especially made up of people who played football and were part of a team. They have a deep understanding of the competitive and team dynamics.”

“While the formal committee will no longer meet regularly, the input and direction they provide will be welcomed in our program,” Ferentz wrote in his statement. “A player does not stop being a member of our program when their eligibility expires. Our former players help guide and support our present and our future. I am thankful for their time and contributions.

“The decision to evolve the Advisory Committee was made in November and communicated in January. Dave Porter did not share his sentiments with me directly. He included them on a former player group text chain where some of our current coaches are part of that group. I was surprised and disappointed by his comment and wish him the best moving forward. His comment had no influence on the decision regarding the Advisory Committee.”

I'll just say this about the timing angle, why would Kirk take action now instead of after the second signing period in Feb? That would have been more appropriate imo.

Regardless, it's not like KF had to dissolve it at this time ...he just signed a practically guaranteed contract extension ...nothing Porter had to say was going to get him or his staff fired.

Maybe simply dissolving Porter from the committee (or from leading it) would have been more prudent initially.

I'll just say this about the timing angle, why would Kirk take action now instead of after the second signing period in Feb? That would have been more appropriate imo.

Regardless, it's not like KF had to dissolve it at this time ...he just signed a practically guaranteed contract extension ...nothing Porter had to say was going to get him or his staff fired.

Maybe simply dissolving Porter from the committee (or from leading it) would have been more prudent initially.
If it were me I would have announced the 'reformulation' of the committee rather than this approach.
"I want to thank the committee for their time and efforts and the groundwork that they have built. At this time we have reformulated the committee to more closely align with the direction going forward. There have been some tremendous input that has allowed us to grow as a program and we want to continue to build upon that. We thank David Porter for being a great Hawk and look forward to his continued input"
Announce the new committee and new leader. Way better optics than the path chosen.

I am admittedly speaking from a position where I only hear a small amount of tidbits that are leaked out and it appears we are only privy to one side of the story. However, it appears to me that some of this may be related to what we now consider racist or cultural diversity. Racism is when you treat one group different that another. It's when what you accept from one group is different than what you accept from another. It is not saying you have to wear your hair short or you have to dress a certain way before and after a game. It is not pushing one person harder than another because he doesn't work hard enough on his own. It isn't about playing or not playing music or any particular type of music.

When you have a program that graduates students of all races and plays players of all races at all positions and you have coaches of all races I find it had to believe this is any more than some players not being allowed to do whatever they want whenever they want. Some players having to live under a strict code of conduct for which they don't agree. There are too many African American players and former players that have no complaints so that shows me this is more likely an issue with certain individuals.

Buy I'm just old too.
There were enough players that came forward, and other players who verified parts of their stories at least for many of them, that I do believe there was a culture problem within the program. Whether that rises to the level of full-blown racism I don’t know. The fact they investigated and forced Doyle out, tells me that at the very least there was a pattern of behavior by Doyle in particular, and to lesser extents BF and others that was alienating players, that people, from Kirk on down were unable or unwilling to recognize as problematic.

If it were me I would have announced the 'reformulation' of the committee rather than this approach.
"I want to thank the committee for their time and efforts and the groundwork that they have built. At this time we have reformulated the committee to more closely align with the direction going forward. There have been some tremendous input that has allowed us to grow as a program and we want to continue to build upon that. We thank David Porter for being a great Hawk and look forward to his continued input"
Announce the new committee and new leader. Way better optics than the path chosen.
Well, if nothing else, we’ve known for 20+ years that the athletic department employs the WORST marketing stadf on the planet. And for all we know, maybe they did, and Porter said no.

One other thought tho, we know that Kirk doesn’t lose his temper often (or show it at least), but when he does…

There were enough players that came forward, and other players who verified parts of their stories at least for many of them, that I do believe there was a culture problem within the program. Whether that rises to the level of full-blown racism I don’t know. The fact they investigated and forced Doyle out, tells me that at the very least there was a pattern of behavior by Doyle in particular, and to lesser extents BF and others that was alienating players, that people, from Kirk on down were unable or unwilling to recognize as problematic.
Where is the cutoff when alienating becomes racism?

I would like to hear more from both sides on this. Two questions that immediately arise for me are, 1.) How do our coaches not arrive at this meeting with an answer to the committee’s question? Even if a scripted answer all the coaches created together and ran by an attorney first, they certainly should have had an answer. 2.) How is Kirk Ferentz dissolving this committee and not his boss, the AD? With the situation, this decision should come from the AD, and even include the university President.

What do you make of the black players who stood against the claims and backed Ferentz and his staff? If a “cultural problem” actually existed, were those players simply blind to it? What about the black coaches on the staff? Did they just grin and bear it?

It's been in the works ... READ! Youre butthurt bc u don't like KF, nothing else..quit being a complete dbag and moron.
If you have read his previous posts across the board none of what you just said is true. Pretty sure Aurora is an attorney and has done a great job of keeping us up to date on the current state of the lawsuit. You are way off base here.

I would like to hear more from both sides on this. Two questions that immediately arise for me are, 1.) How do our coaches not arrive at this meeting with an answer to the committee’s question? Even if a scripted answer all the coaches created together and ran by an attorney first, they certainly should have had an answer. 2.) How is Kirk Ferentz dissolving this committee and not his boss, the AD? With the situation, this decision should come from the AD, and even include the university President.
He created the committee, it's his decision.

If you have read his previous posts across the board none of what you just said is true. Pretty sure Aurora is an attorney and has done a great job of keeping us up to date on the current state of the lawsuit. You are way off base here.
Agreed, I've never perceived Aurora as someone having an axe to grind with KF.

Reactions: iowahaha1
It was never a racism issue, it was how to treat people right. Doyle was going to push buttons to get the best out of you, if you weren't going to give your best he was going to make your life miserable. Doyle took the fall due to using a leadership technique that doesn't really work in this era. He was an equal opportunity abuser, everyone would get hit, its just that a few individuals found an opportunity at a potential payday, along with a few reporters that wanted to have a short term increase in relevance ( in some aspects this has backfired on them). As to Brian, he is just a jerk. Don't much more to add to this. Any group of coaches will have its jerks included. The fact that this came out at Iowa was due to the fishbowl effect.

Reactions: ROCKY MOUNTAIN HAWK
This is a tough subject. In all my years playing sports and being in business people always have excuses when others start or get promoted over them. The "his family is friends with the coach", "he is part of diversity" from white male coworkers, the "another white male" from women and minorities, "she slept her way up" etc... The excuses are always there but that doesn't mean there can't be truth to it. I am sure if you are a three star out of Florida and 20 years old that a walk on from Iowa is only ahead of you because they are white is easy to fall into. That doesn't mean a part of it can't be true. And that coaches diminished some of these because how stupid the complaint that Josey Jewell started over someone was.
I agree that Iowa has a terrible PR department. I think they were too slow to look inward and ask why so many Africa American athletes transferred. I think the aggressiveness of some in the press makes many fans defensive. This isn't political, this is perspective. Buy also, it is the inability of both sides to listen better. Kirk should have listened earlier and it appears Porter decided his way was the right way and didn't listen to the committee and went rogue.

Now, I am done being nice. Pat Harty's texts show what a condescending, pseudo journalist he is.

I think Doc’s article was more even handed and fact based. What I didn’t know that came out in the article is that Iowa had the lowest number of players in the transfer portal in the Big 10.

That doesn’t scream to me there is a cultural or race issue within the Iowa Football program. Especially with how easy it is today to transfer out.

Haven't read every post in this thread so I apologize if this has already been posted; I listened to the Washed Up Walkons Podcast and they stated they heard the committee met in October and wanted to implement a fair amount of things but that the timing obviously wasn't great due to it being the meat of the season. This is what likely led to a decision to move away from the committee as it stands.

Also, Drake is not a fan of Porter. He said he had never met DP but has heard DP is not and has never been a fan of KF.

Thanks for the hearty laugh … I’m currently looking at the framed picture of Kirk and me that I proudly display in my office.

I encourage you to look through my posts and I challenge you to find 5 posts which remotely suggest that I “don’t like Kirk Ferentz.”

If anything, I’ve been accused far more frequently of being a Kirk Ferentz apologist.

He created the committee, it's his decision.
No disputing that he created it. With a situation and lawsuit of this magnitude, dissolving the committee is absolutely a decision that should be going through the AD and President. Maybe it was ran by them, and we just do not know. It would be surprising to nobody if Barta botched this too.

• Haha
Reactions: doughuddl2
Thanks for the hearty laugh … I’m currently looking at the framed picture of Kirk and me that I proudly display in my office.

I encourage you to look through my posts and I challenge you to find 5 posts which remotely suggest that I “don’t like Kirk Ferentz.”

If anything, I’ve been accused far more frequently of being a Kirk Ferentz apologist.
Aurora you are a good poster and I value your contributions to the site. Right now today I don’t think there is a clear picture of all the facts. I feel we have bits and pieces and people are trying to piece it together to fit various narratives.

With the ease that people can transfer out if there was still a cultural or racial issue inside the Iowa Football program I would expect there to be more than 5 transfers out. A number that is the lowest in the Big Ten.

No disputing that he created it. With a situation and lawsuit of this magnitude, dissolving the committee is absolutely a decision that should be going through the AD and President. Maybe it was ran by them, and we just do not know. It would be surprising to nobody if Barta botched this too.
It was a KF thing not UI thing, simple and end of story.

I’ll wait to hear what KF has to say and why to everything that’s taken place before coming to any conclusion. I’m sure the current player committee will also have a message regarding their position on where everything stands as a team and program.
I would be surprised if Ferentz had any more to say about this decision.

It seems clear to me that they want a more informal advisory panel going forward. One that doesn't have monthly meetings or anything of that sort but a panel that staff or players can go to when needed or the committee can make recommendations if they see/hear things need tweaked changed. I think Porter probably took this as he had a part time job to go about changing everything and like he was in a position of power. I imagine the 'we are white' comment came from BF and that is why Porter said he is protecting BF. Now if I do have a criticism of KF is that he does have an issue with people he is close to. I think Porter is right about that, but that is also why you don't hire your son.
I think the mentor program was something that was a bit too ambitious. Especially during the season. That is something that would take a lot of work. Also, it seams he thinks just because he wants something, that the staff should just automatically do it. At least it comes across that way in the article.

One thing I’m having a hard time understanding is why nobody has any idea who is on the committee besides obviously Porter and Lomax. We’re there 5 people? 8 people? I’d kind of like to hear from other people besides those 2. Porter clearly either overstepped boundaries or didn’t really know what the job exactly was. Which I find odd as he was appointed by KF. Lomax is stating Porter overstepped as he was the only person who felt that way. I’d like to hear from some of the other people. And we know Kirk won’t say anything, which is fine but it gives off vibes of us just sweeping things under the rug. And I don’t think that’s the case. Bad optics on the bigger scale. Just my opinion.

One thing I’m having a hard time understanding is why nobody has any idea who is on the committee besides obviously Porter and Lomax. We’re there 5 people? 8 people? I’d kind of like to hear from other people besides those 2. Porter clearly either overstepped boundaries or didn’t really know what the job exactly was. Which I find odd as he was appointed by KF. Lomax is stating Porter overstepped as he was the only person who felt that way. I’d like to hear from some of the other people. And we know Kirk won’t say anything, which is fine but it gives off vibes of us just sweeping things under the rug. And I don’t think that’s the case. Bad optics on the bigger scale. Just my opinion.
After hundreds of early conversations with former players, Ferentz asked Mike Daniels to lead the committee. But Daniels, a current NFL player with small children, declined to take on that type of responsibility. Former offensive lineman David Porter then became the chair, and the panel included Christian Kirksey, Desmond King, Chic Ejiasi, Jordan Lomax, Aaron Kampman, Matt Bowen, Jim Caldwell, Leroy Smith, Robert Gallery and Colin Cole. It became a complicated mixture of people with different lifestyles and career paths.

After hundreds of early conversations with former players, Ferentz asked Mike Daniels to lead the committee. But Daniels, a current NFL player with small children, declined to take on that type of responsibility. Former offensive lineman David Porter then became the chair, and the panel included Christian Kirksey, Desmond King, Chic Ejiasi, Jordan Lomax, Aaron Kampman, Matt Bowen, Jim Caldwell, Leroy Smith, Robert Gallery and Colin Cole. It became a complicated mixture of people with different lifestyles and career paths.
Thank you! That is a great group of ex Hawks.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT