ADVERTISEMENT

And the award for this week's hottest teacher ...

i already watched that one. i mean heard about it, yeah heard about it, that's the ticket.
jon-lovitz.jpg

Reactions: E.RogerCoswell
You can easily make $60-$75k as a public school teacher if you get your master's degree. Can't understand why more people don't go this route. Especially if you have a dual-income household. $120k-$150k is livable. Plus, you get (a) killer health insurance; (b) pension/IPERS; and (c) you work half the calendar days in the year. Seems like a no-brainer.

[end of thread hijack]

Reactions: Tom Paris
You can easily make $60-$75k as a public school teacher if you get your master's degree. Can't understand why more people don't go this route. Especially if you have a dual-income household. $120k-$150k is livable. Plus, you get (a) killer health insurance; (b) pension/IPERS; and (c) you work half the calendar days in the year. Seems like a no-brainer.

[end of thread hijack]

I have spent 28 years as a teacher, no where in Iowa are you making 60 to 75 thousand a year just teaching. The beginning salary in large Metro schools is around $30,000 a year, smaller rural schools 23 to 26,000 a year. Those few that are making that type of cash are people in large urban districts, with 25 years under their belt and coaching a few sports. Administration yes, you can make 100 K and over. But teaching even with a masters and 15 years gets you to $60,000. No where near the 75 you stated. I do get insurance for myself, but the family plan would be right at $750 a month, do get IPERS, that I pay into. I will say I do enjoy my summers off.

Reactions: MitchL
teachers get lousy pay and have to deal with entitled brats. hard to believe our schools suck.
Our pay is fine. It's the lack of discipline that is what sucks...at many schools. Some of the stuff teachers have to deal with on a daily basis - the disrespect or smart mouths - is the worst part of the job A lot of kids are now fearless in school. They know there is nothing that is going to happen to them no matter what they do or say. Again, I have no problem with what we get paid and I rarely hear teachers complain that we need to be paid more. We just want reasonable support.

I have spent 28 years as a teacher, no where in Iowa are you making 60 to 75 thousand a year just teaching. The beginning salary in large Metro schools is around $30,000 a year, smaller rural schools 23 to 26,000 a year. Those few that are making that type of cash are people in large urban districts, with 25 years under their belt and coaching a few sports. Administration yes, you can make 100 K and over. But teaching even with a masters and 15 years gets you to $60,000. No where near the 75 you stated. I do get insurance for myself, but the family plan would be right at $750 a month, do get IPERS, that I pay into. I will say I do enjoy my summers off.
Maybe you are doing it wrong or in the wrong school system but I know for a fact that you can make that much and more just teaching.

[end of thread hijack]

I agree with everything except the health insurance. My wife is in education and the Health Insurance isn't awesome when you look at the family plans, in fact she and the kids are on mine. If we were to go through her school under a family plan it would be $1,100/mo for their high deductible plan (I think a $3k deductible)...awful insurance.

Insurance varies by district I think. Suprised the state doesn't lump all the teachers together for insurance to get a better deal. I think the teachers in our district pay very little for medical insurance.

How much do teachers pay into opera and how much does the state?
Is it 50/50 and what percentage of salary ?

[end of thread hijack]
The IPERS is one of the best incentives. If I can make it to 62 I should be getting paid over $4000 a month when I am retired. Not counting any annuities or SS.

Not a bad mug shot...
Cj4XLZlXIAAkcOb.jpg

The kids parents let him stay at her house overnight and even invited her to family events. And he was 13.

She had an abortion after the DCS showed up in February to ask about the relationship.

Hmm. This pic makes me think she might be a bit husky.

I guess I am a bit uninformed when it comes to the current health plans for teachers. Both of my parents were teachers in the Davenport Community School District in the 1980s-90s and I know that the health plan back then was stellar. Maybe it has changed since then.

Maybe you are doing it wrong or in the wrong school system but I know for a fact that you can make that much and more just teaching.
At a large urban school district and after you have been there 25 years or more. The biggest mistake people make looking at teachers salaries in the paper is some district add in what the district pays for insurance into the number, others do not. If you include that in my current salary, I make around 72,000 a year. But that is not anywhere near take home.

Insurance varies by district I think. Suprised the state doesn't lump all the teachers together for insurance to get a better deal. I think the teachers in our district pay very little for medical insurance.

How much do teachers pay into opera and how much does the state?
Is it 50/50 and what percentage of salary ?
All IPERS should be covered under the same system, but I am sure the insurance company's can make a lot more profit keeping the system the way it is.

don't forget even making 50K a year they get 3 months off to sit by the pool and scope out the fresh young meat

At a large urban school district and after you have been there 25 years or more. The biggest mistake people make looking at teachers salaries in the paper is some district add in what the district pays for insurance into the number, others do not. If you include that in my current salary, I make around 72,000 a year. But that is not anywhere near take home.
That might be the case where you are not everywhere.

Our pay is fine. It's the lack of discipline that is what sucks...at many schools. Some of the stuff teachers have to deal with on a daily basis - the disrespect or smart mouths - is the worst part of the job A lot of kids are now fearless in school. They know there is nothing that is going to happen to them no matter what they do or say. Again, I have no problem with what we get paid and I rarely hear teachers complain that we need to be paid more. We just want reasonable support.
Agree, the kids today have no fear, there was a day when I started the worse thing you could do to a kid, was call their parents. Now the parent is at school the next day ripping on you, and their kid is just perfect. We only have our self to blame, we have raised a generation of kids that never competed for anything, everyone got a trophy and everyone is special. That is where we are at, sad, is it not?

FWIW, I ate lunch with a teacher today and we talked about exactly this. ^^ This person told of a class that they had this year where 17 or 18 of the 21 kids in the class were anywhere from undisciplined and commonly disruptive all the way up to outright belligerent and threatening/attacking, verbally and physically, to fellow classmates...on an almost constant basis. In short, it was borderline chaos a lot of the time. The teacher then spends about 4-5 hours of their 7 hour "contact" period with the students just managing behavior...NOT teaching. Yikes!!

Add to that, support from many of the parents is non-existent and is spotty from the administration, since apparently no one wants to offend anyone or be accused of anything racial. (Yes, there is a VERY disproportionate # of the trouble makers that are of one particular race.)

This person, who I know would be an excellent teacher, is now questioning their career choice, or at least at that school...and I can't say that I blame them. We talked about strategies and "outside the box" ideas to address this very serious issue. Perhaps a parent-teacher organization could be formed expressly for the purpose of implementing ideas to counter the unruliness, perhaps parents can rotate through the classroom everyday to help discipline, etc.

Another idea...I suggested videotaping the classroom and posting that footage, unedited, on a public website. (There were many more ideas that we talked about, but I am pressed for time right now.) This is a very serious problem in multiple areas...right here in Iowa BTW. I would love for our politicians to be talking about how to come together and solve these types of issues, which threaten our society, than who has a bigger weiner or whatever other stupid and inane topic of the day.

"Another idea...I suggested videotaping the classroom and posting that footage, unedited, on a public website."

Yeah sure absolutely noting bad could happen there.

Reactions: ping72
Swag would smash and she would never look at another middle schooler again!

Then I would stop hanging out with her, as it would get old......

Just being honest

FWIW, I ate lunch with a teacher today and we talked about exactly this. ^^ This person told of a class that they had this year where 17 or 18 of the 21 kids in the class were anywhere from undisciplined and commonly disruptive all the way up to outright belligerent and threatening/attacking, verbally and physically, to fellow classmates...on an almost constant basis. In short, it was borderline chaos a lot of the time. The teacher then spends about 4-5 hours of their 7 hour "contact" period with the students just managing behavior...NOT teaching. Yikes!!

Add to that, support from many of the parents is non-existent and is spotty from the administration, since apparently no one wants to offend anyone or be accused of anything racial. (Yes, there is a VERY disproportionate # of the trouble makers that are of one particular race.)

This person, who I know would be an excellent teacher, is now questioning their career choice, or at least at that school...and I can't say that I blame them. We talked about strategies and "outside the box" ideas to address this very serious issue. Perhaps a parent-teacher organization could be formed expressly for the purpose of implementing ideas to counter the unruliness, perhaps parents can rotate through the classroom everyday to help discipline, etc.

Another idea...I suggested videotaping the classroom and posting that footage, unedited, on a public website. (There were many more ideas that we talked about, but I am pressed for time right now.) This is a very serious problem in multiple areas...right here in Iowa BTW. I would love for our politicians to be talking about how to come together and solve these types of issues, which threaten our society, than who has a bigger weiner or whatever other stupid and inane topic of the day.

Well if it's that race, I bet I can guess which gender too is most to blame. It's absolutely a cultural thing though, not race inherent. If you're in CR, I bet I could even guess the school, since I know them all well.

Well if it's that race, I bet I can guess which gender too is most to blame. It's absolutely a cultural thing though, not race inherent. If you're in CR, I bet I could even guess the school, since I know them all well.

I bet he is talking about Brazilians..

Correct. Also you won't make as much at a private school. One of the reasons that private school in Iowa is a sham. Pretty easy to have high test scores when you can keep low performers out and keep others out economically. Also more likely to have predators in the school as a private school wants to protect their margins.

don't forget even making 50K a year they get 3 months off to sit by the pool and scope out the fresh young meat

The majority of teachers I know work a different job in the summer.

I once added up the hours I put in during my one year of teaching/coaching. It was nearly 3000. I now make a lot more money working less total hours, even though I now obviously work 12 months.

I agree the 60 to 75k is high forost, but I think your minimums are old. I was reading up on the TLC grant a month or two ago and I am pretty sure a district mus pay a minimum of like 33000 to qualify. Virtually every iowa school has this grant.

My wife's district pays all of her single health insurance, but family is like 1300 per month.

I agree the 60 to 75k is high forost, but I think your minimums are old. I was reading up on the TLC grant a month or two ago and I am pretty sure a district mus pay a minimum of like 33000 to qualify. Virtually every iowa school has this grant.

My wife's district pays all of her single health insurance, but family is like 1300 per month.
Each school district in Iowa has differing way to give out TLC money, my former district got everyone above the state minimum of $ 23,000 and then divided up the rest to the staff. My current school gives out the money on how long you have been in the district. In most schools 2a and below, the starting pay is well below 33K. I mentored a new teacher this year, she had applied for a job in Marshalltown and said it would be an $ 11,000 dollar raise if she got it.

I think it reflects more on the alleged "men" in the area. You can't get the job done so these women turn to kids? That's just f**king pathetic.
That could very well be true or there is a possible women pedophilia epidemic going on in the schools. I mean seriously, this kid was 13 years old. Why would a decent looking woman like that even want to get with him?

Each school district in Iowa has differing way to give out TLC money, my former district got everyone above the state minimum of $ 23,000 and then divided up the rest to the staff. My current school gives out the money on how long you have been in the district. In most schools 2a and below, the starting pay is well below 33K. I mentored a new teacher this year, she had applied for a job in Marshalltown and said it would be an $ 11,000 dollar raise if she got it.

Here is a link about the state raising the minimum teacher salary: https://www.educateiowa.gov/article/2013/09/11/historic-education-reform-bill-becomes-law
  • Pays teachers more. Between raising the minimum salary to $33,500 and providing extra pay to teachers who accept leadership roles, opportunities now exist to help retain talented people.
Here is a link to an approved TLC application for a random small school: https://www.educateiowa.gov/sites/files/ed/documents/Morning Sun - TLC Application - Year 3.pdf

Page 18 of 21 lists Assurances and Budget Items. One of the assurances is the minimum salary be $33,500. One of the budget lines is bringing minimums to that amount. In this case (and all others I have looked at), the school doesn't need to use any money to bring them to the minimum. My wife started 9 years ago in a 1A school either at $26k or $28k. There is just no way anybody is paying $23k anymore.

Here is the West Des Moines salary schedule for next year. First year teachers make $45k. http://www.wdmcs.org/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/2016-17_Salary_Schedule.pdf

Here is a link about the state raising the minimum teacher salary: https://www.educateiowa.gov/article/2013/09/11/historic-education-reform-bill-becomes-law
  • Pays teachers more. Between raising the minimum salary to $33,500 and providing extra pay to teachers who accept leadership roles, opportunities now exist to help retain talented people.
Here is a link to an approved TLC application for a random small school: https://www.educateiowa.gov/sites/files/ed/documents/Morning Sun - TLC Application - Year 3.pdf

Page 18 of 21 lists Assurances and Budget Items. One of the assurances is the minimum salary be $33,500. One of the budget lines is bringing minimums to that amount. In this case (and all others I have looked at), the school doesn't need to use any money to bring them to the minimum. My wife started 9 years ago in a 1A school either at $26k or $28k. There is just no way anybody is paying $23k anymore.

Here is the West Des Moines salary schedule for next year. First year teachers make $45k. http://www.wdmcs.org/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/2016-17_Salary_Schedule.pdf

Is West Des Moines not large urban districts, how much do new teachers make at SE Warren, ADM, or DCG, not anywhere near $45k starting out. If you are in a 4a or 5a school after you have been there 15 years and have a masters without extra duties you may be able to reach the low 60's in salary. The big money in education is administration, not teaching. Most of us are paid a decent wage, but we sure are not over paid like some want to believe, and it takes years to get there. Most schools have their salary schedule on the web site, pick 5 to 10 2a schools and below around the state and look at the data. You can have a nice comfortable life as a teacher, but this is not a profession that you are going to make the big bucks just teaching.

Last edited:

This is true. I have a brother in law who is a PT and he makes somewhere around 63,000. His wife who is a teacher (15 years in w/masters +15) is making somewhere around 55,000 and she gets from June to mid-August off. He works year around for that salary? Something doesn't add up, but oh well.

I have heard that IPERS won't be around when this generation retires? Is that true? I pay into myself, but our financial guy said reports and outlooks don't look good. So we started another retirement (Roth IRA).

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT