ADVERTISEMENT

Annual Airport Pet Peeve thread

iowalaker

HB Legend
Mar 18, 2010
I'm still going with the people lining up to board early. Plane isnt here yet, they dont have a timetable for when it is going to get here, and the line is rocking about 20 people deep for some reason.

This edges out fat lady in yoga pants and tight shirt cramming everything in her clothes before cramming everything into her seat.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

But what does this have to do with pets?

Although I can understand why my Rottweiler might get peeved waiting in a long line. Probably wouldn't be a long line much longer once he got peeved. It's why I have a Rottweiler in the first place.

If your feet are within 5 feet of the baggage claim carousel while waiting for your bag to come, you should be taken out and fed through a jet engine.

Originally posted by iowalaker:
I'm still going with the people lining up to board early. Plane isnt here yet, they dont have a timetable for when it is going to get here, and the line is rocking about 20 people deep for some reason.

This edges out fat lady in yoga pants and tight shirt cramming everything in her clothes before cramming everything into her seat.
If we're talking strictly airport, I'd go along with this, if you're talking about people who ignore their boarding number. if you're just talking about people who line up when there's no reason to line up, that doesn't really bother me.

The last couple of times we flew, I noticed the gate agents were enforcing the boarding order, to which I say: Good for them!

If we're talking about the whole boarding/deboarding system, I'd go with the assholes and assholettes who bring a "carry-on" too big to store overhead but keep trying to do it, anyway.

I will have to go with the people who've seemingly forgotten how to go through security. Yes, there is a metal detector. Your cell phone, loose change etc will set it off. Don't act surprised when it happens.

Also the persons who bring fast food onto the plane. Typically its McDonalds and it just absolutely stinks.

The gate creepers do bother me some, but the airline is pretty good about enforcing boarding zones. I take about 130 flights a year, so, like most HROTers, I am usually flying first class.

Easily the thing I hate most about other travelers is those who bring fast food on the plane, particularly McDonald's. The smell is horrible. I am pretty sure someone eating three rows away has a negative impact on my cholesterol.

No lie, O'Hare to Seattle. I find my row and see the person sitting on the aisle seat that is my number. I smile and say you are in my seat, but I will take yours next to the window if you remove your stuff. She waves to various vacant seats and says there are many others available.

Meanwhile the line behind me has come to a standstill.

I grit my teeth and ask her to pick a seat. I'll take the other one. She doesn't want to, I tell her one of those is the seat I paid for. She mutters something about rude behavior and slides over to the window. After a couple minutes of this BS the passengers behind me are able to find their seats, stow their gear, etc.

What makes people think that is acceptable behavior?

Originally posted by rchawk:
No lie, O'Hare to Seattle.  I find my row and see the person sitting on the aisle seat that is my number.  I smile and say you are in my seat, but I will take yours next to the window if you remove your stuff.  She waves to various vacant seats and says there are many others available.

Meanwhile the line behind me has come to a standstill.

I grit my teeth and ask her to pick a seat.  I'll take the other one.  She doesn't want to, I tell her one of those is the seat I paid for.  She mutters something about rude behavior and slides over to the window.  After a couple minutes of this BS the passengers behind me are able to find their seats, stow their gear, etc.

Last week one of my flights was delayed 10 minutes because some guy just sat down in the first row of first class and refused to move because "the seat was empty." People suck.

Well, if we've moved from the terminal to the aircraft.......how about kids whose parents don't supervise them?

My favorite story.....we're on a fairly long flight on a 737 with 3-3 seating. Mrs. LC and I have an aisle and a window with a vacant seat between (not an accident; long story). Behind us is an older lady, probalby in her 70s, and two little girls, maybe 5 and 7, thereabouts. The girls are acting up. Kicking the back of our seats, bouncing around, whining. Grandma is trying to get them to settle down, but they ignore it. A couple of times, the younger woman sitting across the aisle from my wife looks around and back and says, "Jessica! Esther! Settle down!" and then goes back to her book. We figure Mom has stuck the kids with Grandma.

Then, after about an hour of this "Grandma" says to the woman: "Ma'am, if you'd like to sit with your daughters, I can change seats with you." And Mom shakes her head, smiles, and says, "No, this is fine."

True story.

Originally posted by Lone Clone:
Well, if we've moved from the terminal to the aircraft.......how about kids whose parents don't supervise them?

My favorite story.....we're on a fairly long flight on a 737 with 3-3 seating. Mrs. LC and I have an aisle and a window with a vacant seat between (not an accident; long story). Behind us is an older lady, probalby in her 70s, and two little girls, maybe 5 and 7, thereabouts. The girls are acting up. Kicking the back of our seats, bouncing around, whining. Grandma is trying to get them to settle down, but they ignore it. A couple of times, the younger woman sitting across the aisle from my wife looks around and back and says, "Jessica! Esther! Settle down!" and then goes back to her book. We figure Mom has stuck the kids with Grandma.

Then, after about an hour of this "Grandma" says to the woman: "Ma'am, if you'd like to sit with your daughters, I can change seats with you." And Mom shakes her head, smiles, and says, "No, this is fine."

True story.
Holy...

We flew back from Florida recently where Mom had an 18 monthold that screamed, I don't mean bawl but screamed, the entire flight. We were 3 rows behing her. Grandpa came up and relieved her, but the kid never shut up. Stews were actually pretty frazzled as were most of us around that kid.

Pet peeve- People on flights who force their way from the back of the plane to the front not waiting for those in front to deplane. Most of the time they are fat slob newbies who are clueless.

Originally posted by ICWestfan:

True story.
Holy...

We flew back from Florida recently where Mom had an 18 monthold that screamed, I don't mean bawl but screamed, the entire flight.  We were 3 rows behing her.  Grandpa came up and relieved her, but the kid never shut up.  Stews were actually pretty frazzled as were most of us around that kid.

Pet peeve-  People on flights who force their way from the back of the plane to the front not waiting for those in front to deplane. Most of the time they are fat slob newbies who are clueless.

Crying kids are just a fact of life. If the parents are making an effort to comfort the kid and it just doesn't work I feel bad for the parents.

It almost never fails--landing at a destination like CR and people from the back of the plane trying to ram their way to the front. What's your bleeping hurry?

Originally posted by SPOONER:
It almost never fails--landing at a destination like CR and people from the back of the plane trying to ram their way to the front. What's your bleeping hurry?
Maybe they have been on a crappy business trip and want to get home to their family? I don't travel alot, but have learn to never really judge anyone else, because I have no clue on their story.

Originally posted by dgordo:

My favorite story.....we're on a fairly long flight on a 737 with 3-3 seating. Mrs. LC and I have an aisle and a window with a vacant seat between (not an accident; long story). Behind us is an older lady, probalby in her 70s, and two little girls, maybe 5 and 7, thereabouts. The girls are acting up. Kicking the back of our seats, bouncing around, whining. Grandma is trying to get them to settle down, but they ignore it. A couple of times, the younger woman sitting across the aisle from my wife looks around and back and says, "Jessica! Esther! Settle down!" and then goes back to her book. We figure Mom has stuck the kids with Grandma.Â

True story.
Holy...

We flew back from Florida recently where Mom had an 18 monthold that screamed, I don't mean bawl but screamed, the entire flight. We were 3 rows behing her. Grandpa came up and relieved her, but the kid never shut up. Stews were actually pretty frazzled as were most of us around that kid.

Pet peeve- People on flights who force their way from the back of the plane to the front not waiting for those in front to deplane. Most of the time they are fat slob newbies who are clueless.

Crying kids are just a fact of life. If the parents are making an effort to comfort the kid and it just doesn't work I feel bad for the parents.

Crying the entire flight is a sign of something else, but it isn't unusual for babies/toddlers to scream at the beginning and end of a flight. The pressure change is making their ears hurt like hell, they don't know why, and there's nothing Mom and Dad can do to relieve the pain. I cut the brats and their parents some slack in such cases. It's not like the ones who let their 4-year-olds run up and down the aisle.

People who don't understand that in the U.S. we walk on the right, and if we pass people coming the other direction, we both move to our respective right to do so.

People who use my headrest as leverage to get their ass in and out of their seat - nice catapult effect.

People who stand in the aisle to put everything in the overhead -- simply ignoring the flight attendant's announcement to move out of the aisle to allow others to board.

Originally posted by gonegolfing:

If your feet are within 5 feet of the baggage claim carousel while waiting for your bag to come, you should be taken out and fed through a jet engine.
Did we just become best friends?

Originally posted by SF HAWKEYE:
People that put their bags under their seat. Blocking my feet.
This. I hardly ever fly anymore, but I used to fly United several times a month. They used to seat the Premier passengers in the first four rows of coach and generally left the middle seats open. Any time I was in the second row of coach there was invariably someone in front of me in the bulkhead row who put his briefcase under his own seat instead of the overhead bin or checking it with a flight attendant. Sometimes I would discreetly slide the briefcase over to the middle seat, but usually I just made sure it had plenty of footprints on it by the time we landed.

True story.
Holy...

We flew back from Florida recently where Mom had an 18 monthold that screamed, I don't mean bawl but screamed, the entire flight. We were 3 rows behing her. Grandpa came up and relieved her, but the kid never shut up. Stews were actually pretty frazzled as were most of us around that kid.

Pet peeve- People on flights who force their way from the back of the plane to the front not waiting for those in front to deplane. Most of the time they are fat slob newbies who are clueless.
That sounds more like a kid in pain than bad behavior. Ear infection?

1410929850714_wps_2_Passenger_shaming.jpg

Originally posted by St. Louis Hawk:

People who don't understand that in the U.S. we walk on the right, and if we pass people coming the other direction, we both move to our respective right to do so.

People who use my headrest as leverage to get their ass in and out of their seat - nice catapult effect.

People who stand in the aisle to put everything in the overhead -- simply ignoring the flight attendant's announcement to move out of the aisle to allow others to board.
Agree about the first one. And I would add to that the people who use the moving walkways but ignore the signs about how, if they aren't walking, they should stand on the right.

If you lean your headrest back into my face, and I have to get up to go to the head, the only way it's possible is to use your headrest as a handle. If you don't like it, don't lean back in my face.

Don't understand the third one. I will agree about people who can't figure out how to put stuff in the overhead or for some other reason take too long and block the aisle. But you can't put a carry-on in the overhead while you're sitting in your seat.

Originally posted by TJ8869:
Originally posted by SF HAWKEYE:
People that put their bags under their seat. Blocking my feet.
This. I hardly ever fly anymore, but I used to fly United several times a month. They used to seat the Premier passengers in the first four rows of coach and generally left the middle seats open. Any time I was in the second row of coach there was invariably someone in front of me in the bulkhead row who put his briefcase under his own seat instead of the overhead bin or checking it with a flight attendant. Sometimes I would discreetly slide the briefcase over to the middle seat, but usually I just made sure it had plenty of footprints on it by the time we landed.
I experienced this once. I quietly pointed it out to the cabin attendant and she made the guy move it.

When I have been in the bulkhead seat, I just asked the attendant what I should do with my carry-on, and she took care of it.

Bulkhead seats are desirable in the sense that you have more legroom and you get in and out more quickly, but there's no storage and the tray table situation isn't as good.

No lie, O'Hare to Seattle.  I find my row and see the person sitting on the aisle seat that is my number.  I smile and say you are in my seat, but I will take yours next to the window if you remove your stuff.  She waves to various vacant seats and says there are many others available.

Meanwhile the line behind me has come to a standstill.

I grit my teeth and ask her to pick a seat.  I'll take the other one.  She doesn't want to, I tell her one of those is the seat I paid for.  She mutters something about rude behavior and slides over to the window.  After a couple minutes of this BS the passengers behind me are able to find their seats, stow their gear, etc.

This is the type of situation and person i would just shred with insults. I go for the most hurtful, borderline unacceptable, yet still potentially humorous weakness she displays and will tee off.

It probably doesn't help anything, but the normal people around me usually appreciate it and I feel better.

Agree about the first one. And I would add to that the people who use the moving walkways but ignore the signs about how, if they aren't walking, they should stand on the right.

If you lean your headrest back into my face, and I have to get up to go to the head, the only way it's possible is to use your headrest as a handle. If you don't like it, don't lean back in my face.

Don't understand the third one. I will agree about people who can't figure out how to put stuff in the overhead or for some other reason take too long and block the aisle. But you can't put a carry-on in the overhead while you're sitting in your seat.
2nd - Has nothing to do with leaning the headrest or not. I never lean the seat back and would be fine if that option was removed from all seats. But many people moving in and out of the row behind me -- I always pick the aisle seat if possible - will grab my headrest to brace themselves in order to get into their seat by pulling it back and then letting go after they plop down into their seat -- for the catapult effect. All I'm asking is keep you keep your hands off my headrest and move in and out of your own row without grabbing my headrest -- particularly if I am on a red eye.

3rd - You can certainly put your stuff in the overhead compartment if you are standing in front of the aisle seat - even if you are partially blocking the main aisle, a person can get behind you to get to the back of the plane. I'm not asking you to sit down immediately, just step out of the main front-to-back aisle like they announce when boarding. If you stand in the main aisle to put your stuff into the overhead, you block me and 50 people behind me trying to get behind you. I had a lady once take a legitimate 4 minutes to get her stuff -- carry on, bag, winter coat, scarf, etc. -- and then forget she wanted her Surface Pro out of her bag -- in the overhead. I timed it. I gave the Southwest stewardess standing in the mid-cabin exit row a look and she just rolled her eyes and brought me a nice drink after take off. Right now, I heart Southwest and Delta. American can kiss my ass.

Originally posted by What Would Jesus Do?:

True story.
Holy...

That sounds more like a kid in pain than bad behavior. Ear infection?
Maybe? I didn't mean to make that sound like a peeve but more of a horror story along the lines of Lones tale. I felt bad for the Mom, she was pretty upset, but also for all of us up front who had to put up with it. By the time we got off off the plane we were pretty much running up the jetway to get away from that kid. He might still be screaming for all I know.

Originally posted by dgordo:

My favorite story.....we're on a fairly long flight on a 737 with 3-3 seating. Mrs. LC and I have an aisle and a window with a vacant seat between (not an accident; long story). Behind us is an older lady, probalby in her 70s, and two little girls, maybe 5 and 7, thereabouts. The girls are acting up. Kicking the back of our seats, bouncing around, whining. Grandma is trying to get them to settle down, but they ignore it. A couple of times, the younger woman sitting across the aisle from my wife looks around and back and says, "Jessica! Esther! Settle down!" and then goes back to her book. We figure Mom has stuck the kids with Grandma.Â

True story.
Holy...

We flew back from Florida recently where Mom had an 18 monthold that screamed, I don't mean bawl but screamed, the entire flight. We were 3 rows behing her. Grandpa came up and relieved her, but the kid never shut up. Stews were actually pretty frazzled as were most of us around that kid.

Pet peeve- People on flights who force their way from the back of the plane to the front not waiting for those in front to deplane. Most of the time they are fat slob newbies who are clueless.

This. My 3 kids all flew as infants. We'd plan ahead and have bottles, snacks, video screens as they got older, etc. Mostly, they did very well, but there were a few flights in there where nothing worked....those were typically times when we had cancelled connections or weather delays and the whole process just took them well past nap and bed windows. As long as the parents are taking reasonable measures and doing their best, I just feel bad for the kids and accept it as part of life.

I also think the change to allow electronic devices door-to-door has helped with kid behavior on flights. I'm sure some will criticize "parenting by device", but kids act up when they're bored. Sitting on the tarmac for a half-hour with a 5 yo strapped into a chair going nowhere with little to do just invites problems. Now, my two oldest are old enough to be readers, so they'll settle in with a book and it doesn't matter....but my 4yo gets a device and can play games or watch a movie and he's all set. Give the kids something to do and they won't get bored, scream and kick seats.

2nd - Has nothing to do with leaning the headrest or not. I never lean the seat back and would be fine if that option was removed from all seats. But many people moving in and out of the row behind me -- I always pick the aisle seat if possible - will grab my headrest to brace themselves in order to get into their seat by pulling it back and then letting go after they plop down into their seat -- for the catapult effect. All I'm asking is keep you keep your hands off my headrest and move in and out of your own row without grabbing my headrest -- particularly if I am on a red eye.

3rd - You can certainly put your stuff in the overhead compartment if you are standing in front of the aisle seat - even if you are partially blocking the main aisle, a person can get behind you to get to the back of the plane. I'm not asking you to sit down immediately, just step out of the main front-to-back aisle like they announce when boarding. If you stand in the main aisle to put your stuff into the overhead, you block me and 50 people behind me trying to get behind you. I had a lady once take a legitimate 4 minutes to get her stuff -- carry on, bag, winter coat, scarf, etc. -- and then forget she wanted her Surface Pro out of her bag -- in the overhead. I timed it. I gave the Southwest stewardess standing in the mid-cabin exit row a look and she just rolled her eyes and brought me a nice drink after take off. Right now, I heart Southwest and Delta. American can kiss my ass.
OK, I'm relieved you cleared up one part, because people who recline their seat in coach class = scum of the earth. You get a pass for not doing that.
wink.r191677.gif

Also, the fact you always take an aisle seat sheds more light on the issue. For you, getting into the aisle is a piece of cake. It's essentially impossible to get from a window seat to the aisle without grabbing the back of the seat in front of you. Just can't be done.

I don't think we really disagree on the overhead thing. We're quibbling about semantics in terms of where you can stand. The problem is people who haven't thought ahead and/or don't know the basics of stowing stuff in the overhead. Your example of the lady with the coat isn't really relevant, because she clearly was a total douchette and would have found some way to screw up the lives of her fellow passengers even if she hadn't had any baggage. What you do in that case is put your carry-on in the overhead and sit down with the coat and scarf in your lap. After everybody's on board, you see if you can stow it someplace.

One thing I've never understood is the aversion of gate-checking. Yes, it adds maybe 2 or 3 minutes to the time it takes to disembark, maybe as much as 5 minutes if you have bad luck. But it solves so many problems. I always carry a computer case with me that has my book, cell phone and any medications that I might need. That never leaves my sight.

Originally posted by Panic1769:
I will have to go with the people who've seemingly forgotten how to go through security. Yes, there is a metal detector. Your cell phone, loose change etc will set it off. Don't act surprised when it happens.
I agree with this as well. Unless it's literally your first time flying, get prepared. No matter what my luggage situation is, I always travel with a backpack and 95% or more of the people I see traveling have some kind of small bag with them when they go through security. Put your belt, phone, change, keys, wallet, etc. in the bag as you're getting up to the security checkpoint. Put your bag on the roller and remove shoes, laptop and coat as appropriate. Walk through and collect your crap. Easy. Done.

Originally posted by pezhawk:

Originally posted by SPOONER:
Maybe they have been on a crappy business trip and want to get home to their family? I don't travel alot, but have learn to never really judge anyone else, because I have no clue on their story.
The opposite of this would be people in the front of the plane that are in the isle, don't get up until everyone in front of them is gone and then take 5 minutes to get their carry on down. As soon as the seat belt sign goes off everyone in the isle needs to get off their ass, get your carry on down and ask the person in the middle or window seat if they would like theirs handed to them if they have one. It shouldn't take 25 minutes to deplane.

and no I don't charge to the front of the plane, I patiently wait for these lazy scum of the earth.

I don't fly a lot, maybe 5 times a year, however I don't expect much when I do. There are people whom are clueless or just don't care everywhere you go and nothing I do can change that. Flying first class helps, but not enough too justify $400-$500 dollars for me and the Mrs. Did it once and it wasn't worth it, to me anyways.
Its a certainty that a few people will leave shit in their pockets or or have liquid over 3 oz in a carry on that will delay security 10 min or so.
At the gate, I wait till last call and everyone is pretty much done boarding before I board. Always backed up in the isles waiting on people to load carry ons overhead anyways. I chose to avoid that and I'm in no rush to sit next to anyone but Mrs 3408 in a cramped airplane seat. If overhead is full my bag gets checked for free.
Once in the air it seems to be a free for all. People laying there seat back in my face, constant coughing from someone and a baby crying the whole flight(I know they can't help it). I give my wife the window and there is always a single guy or girl in the aisle seat next to me who wants to chat my ear off like we're best friends.
I just fill a couple gatorades with 6-7 shots of vodka before I board. About takeoff I have a good buzz and I'm not worried what goes on around me.

Originally posted by hawkifann:
Originally posted by Panic1769:
I agree with this as well. Unless it's literally your first time flying, get prepared. No matter what my luggage situation is, I always travel with a backpack and 95% or more of the people I see traveling have some kind of small bag with them when they go through security. Put your belt, phone, change, keys, wallet, etc. in the bag as you're getting up to the security checkpoint. Put your bag on the roller and remove shoes, laptop and coat as appropriate. Walk through and collect your crap. Easy. Done.
TSA precheck is a terrific boon. Don't have to take off your shoes or jacket, take your computer out of its case or take your bag of liquids out. And in some larger airports, there's a separate line for us, so you don't have to wait behind the people you're talking about here.

Incidentally, a story today says that last year, alone, TSA collected more than $530,000 in loose change that passengers had left in the security check lines.

No lie, O'Hare to Seattle. I find my row and see the person sitting on the aisle seat that is my number. I smile and say you are in my seat, but I will take yours next to the window if you remove your stuff. She waves to various vacant seats and says there are many others available.

Meanwhile the line behind me has come to a standstill.

I grit my teeth and ask her to pick a seat. I'll take the other one. She doesn't want to, I tell her one of those is the seat I paid for. She mutters something about rude behavior and slides over to the window. After a couple minutes of this BS the passengers behind me are able to find their seats, stow their gear, etc.

Admittedly, I don't fly more than a couple of times a year, sometimes only once. I've never heard of such behavior and it never occurred to me that someone would actually sit in the seat I purchased. I would not have been very nice to her.

People with seats further back in the plane, yet think it's perfectly okay to put their bag in the overhead compartments closer to the front.

I've personally moved someone's bag from my overhead compartment. Bastard was 10 rows back. The flight attendant took the bag from me, and put it in the proper compartment. Dude go pissed at me for "touching his bag". Flight attendant told him that he was in the wrong.

Originally posted by Hawk in SEC Country:
People with seats further back in the plane, yet think it's perfectly okay to put their bag in the overhead compartments closer to the front.

I've personally moved someone's bag from my overhead compartment. Bastard was 10 rows back. The flight attendant took the bag from me, and put it in the proper compartment. Dude go pissed at me for "touching his bag". Flight attendant told him that he was in the wrong.
This is another thing the pisses me off. When did it become socially acceptable to put your crap above someone else's seat? When I'm traveling it is always with a checked bag and a briefcase so it doesn't affect me. But it annoys me.

Originally posted by Tenacious E:

This is another thing the pisses me off. When did it become socially acceptable to put your crap above someone else's seat? When I'm traveling it is always with a checked bag and a briefcase so it doesn't affect me. But it annoys me.
I have to admit to doing this if I have to grab a flight at the last minute and can't get a early boarding group. I'm still not seeing why it's wrong? Some airlines even make an announcement: the overheads at the back of the cabin are filling up fast, find a space elsewhere or we will have to gate check. And most flight attendants will take your bag if the overheads are full and move it to the front of the plane if there is space. Do you need special permission to do what the airline tells you to do and what they often do for you?

Help me see the error in my ways oh HROT brethren.

Originally posted by Tenacious E:

I have to admit to doing this if I have to grab a flight at the last minute and can't get a early boarding group. I'm still not seeing why it's wrong? Some airlines even make an announcement: the overheads at the back of the cabin are filling up fast, find a space elsewhere or we will have to gate check. And most flight attendants will take your bag if the overheads are full and move it to the front of the plane if there is space. Do you need special permission to do what the airline tells you to do and what they often do for you?

Help me see the error in my ways oh HROT brethren.
I think they were saying if your seat is in row 22 and you put your bag above row 15, when spots are available above your seat, it's stupid, and I agree. Now if you're walking by 15 and all overheads are full behind, then there is no issue. Its first come first serve.
This post was edited on 4/8 2:30 PM by Derekd3408

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT