ADVERTISEMENT

Another reason why teachers are leaving...

I can see the light at the end of my career tunnel. We need to quit testing kids as much as we do, they’re burned out and resentful. We need to offer different ways for students to show mastery. We need to change with the times, kids don’t learn the same as they did 20, 30 years ago. We need to get social media out of schools. Teachers need to be allowed, within reason, bring their own creative, unique teaching style to the classroom and not be so robotic. And we need to listen, mediate and provide appropriate consequences in challenging situations.

You don't need to say your district Tom (unless you want to of course) but what size of school district do you teach in? Are we talking like 4a ( Southeast Polk) 3a (Boone).... yada yada. How has the AEA cuts affected your school? Thanks for clocking in and helping the youth of Iowa.Some people on this thread get the daily grind on what teaching is, and some have no clue at all. I know what the daily battle is like.
Big district. AEA cuts are affecting us as far as helping kids with the biggest needs.

Reactions: southlakehawk
I can see the light at the end of my career tunnel. We need to quit testing kids as much as we do, they’re burned out and resentful. We need to offer different ways for students to show mastery. We need to change with the times, kids don’t learn the same as they did 20, 30 years ago. We need to get social media out of schools. Teachers need to be allowed, within reason, bring their own creative, unique teaching style to the classroom and not be so robotic. And we need to listen, mediate and provide appropriate consequences in challenging situations.
This is horrible and mostly wrong.
-There is no such thing as "don't learn the same".
-kids need to be assessed to make sure they have the appropriate background knowledge to lead a successful life. Teachers need to know where kids are at to reteach deficiencies.
-Kids are not burned out, adults expectations of kids has just lowered.
-Creativity and unique styles????? Evidence shows that direct/explicit instruction works the best for all students. The largest study ever done "project follow through" backs that up as does cognitive science.

yes:
appropriate consequences.
ban social media, hell a complete phone ban in schools is warranted. There is 0 need for a phone in school (outside something like a glucose monitor) and even then kids got by before them.

Reactions: Tom Paris
This is horrible and mostly wrong.
-There is no such thing as "don't learn the same".
-kids need to be assessed to make sure they have the appropriate background knowledge to lead a successful life. Teachers need to know where kids are at to reteach deficiencies.
-Kids are not burned out, adults expectations of kids has just lowered.
-Creativity and unique styles????? Evidence shows that direct/explicit instruction works the best for all students. The largest study ever done "project follow through" backs that up as does cognitive science.

yes:
appropriate consequences.
ban social media, hell a complete phone ban in schools is warranted. There is 0 need for a phone in school (outside something like a glucose monitor) and even then kids got by before them.
What grade levels do you teach?

HS.
While i'm not saying every teacher should be the same. Every teacher should start with explicit/direct instruction and branch out. To be a good teacher you must excel at: 1. classroom management. 2. Pedagogy. 3. Content knowledge. Universities have failed teacher programs in all 3 areas. Worse administrators have failed in those 3 areas too.
This progressive philosophy of timed math tests are bad, spelling tests are bad, standardized tests are bad; promotes a lack of general knowledge. A lack of general knowledge/background knowledge is a lifelong handicap that prevents the ability to think critically. You can't think critically without the proper background knowledge. This is where the "just google it" and "teach them how to use phones correctly" and project based learning crowds have hurt education.

It comes down to parenting. IMHO
Absolutely, with the cost of living being higher than ever most couples cannot afford to have only one parent working, so naturally the school becomes a parent. When parents get home from work they are likely stressed/exhausted from the day and turn to distracting their children with electronics for ease. We can point to the symptoms all day but until we actually address the disease things will not improve.

22.jpg

HS.
While i'm not saying every teacher should be the same. Every teacher should start with explicit/direct instruction and branch out. To be a good teacher you must excel at: 1. classroom management. 2. Pedagogy. 3. Content knowledge. Universities have failed teacher programs in all 3 areas. Worse administrators have failed in those 3 areas too.
This progressive philosophy of timed math tests are bad, spelling tests are bad, standardized tests are bad; promotes a lack of general knowledge. A lack of general knowledge/background knowledge is a lifelong handicap that prevents the ability to think critically. You can't think critically without the proper background knowledge. This is where the "just google it" and "teach them how to use phones correctly" and project based learning crowds have hurt education.
Teachers learn how to teach in the classroom. College does NOT teach us that. I am so glad I had a great teacher, when I student taught, who gave me all the classes after week 1 instead of week 8. "You won't learn how to teach unless you do it."

HS.
I stand by my statements. I am going to guess we work in much different situations. It's fine for students to take a standardized test, but it really doesn't help in the day-to-day instruction, it's a snapshot in time. The students in my building take three math standardized tests, two LA, three science in addition to ACCESS testing, CoGat testing, placement testing for the next grade level and three benchmark assessments that are spread out through the year. That's on top of their weekly spelling test, math test and other assessments given in all other subject areas. Critical thinking is developed by getting out of their seats, working collaboratively with other students, problem solving, researching, presenting, taking risks and understanding failure will happen.

Maybe we work in much different situations. The teachers in my building are strong with classroom management (some stronger than others), and with pedagogy. If they aren't strong in those areas, they aren't asked back. My building has the lowest turnover rate in the district. Our staff works collaboratively, it's a formula that works for us.

Reactions: Pinehawk
I am going to tell you this is the first time where I could see potentially the need for a private school and potentially going to it. In our elementary school, they have effectively eliminated any discipline. If cause a disturbance or otherwise, they go for a walk try to talk it out. If they tear up the class room, teacher has to clean it up and child goes out to recess. There is no support of the teachers. Really worried many are at their breaking point. Have heard chatter of a possible walkout. I have no idea what the answer is, leaves me dumbfounded. I don't think administration has a clue. At a board meeting, they just completely opened themselves up for a lawsuit, like really bad. I talked to a board member and was like do you realize what you guys just did. I just don't know.

I am going to tell you this is the first time where I could see potentially the need for a private school and potentially going to it. In our elementary school, they have effectively eliminated any discipline. If cause a disturbance or otherwise, they go for a walk try to talk it out. If they tear up the class room, teach has to clean it up and child goes out to recess. There is no support of the teachers. Really worried many are at their breaking point. Have heard chatter of a possible walkout. I have no idea what the answer is, leaves me dumbfounded.
We have a 3rd grade student who staff has been told to "not make any demands" of. He gets to do whatever he wants during the day in hope he won't explode and break stuff. At any given time you can find 3 adult women walking around behind him as he decides what he wants to do with his day. Private schools don't have to deal with any of this...which is why they shouldn't grift our tax dollars.

Before I retire I want someone to explain to me why letting children call the shots is okay. I can not wrap my head around some of the crap I have seen. What's the district so afraid of?? The kid has been kicked out of 2 other schools and we are told he will not be getting kicked out of ours. Unbelievable.

• Angry
Reactions: alaskanseminole
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT