ADVERTISEMENT

Any One Else ready to sell all financial market assets?

Don't time the market and yet all the people that know what they are doing absolutely time the market. The problem is most people don't know what they are doing and they park in mutual funds. Those positions are so large for the mutual fund company they cannot offload them if things turn South. You shouldn't become a rock picker and day trade what the guy at the deli is telling you but you also shouldn't blindly leave money in a position that could be allocated into cash to some degree of you truly are uncomfortable. You can always dollar cost average into a downturn and if you miss an upswing so what. One way you could do it in a 401k is to shift part of your current holdings to cash and keep your contributions going to the funds you want.

For those thinking that a major correction is due, can you explain why exactly you think this market is so overvalued and what you think a reasonable valuation should be?

A few things I'd point out - 1) It may not be a "market" that's over valued so much as the leadership in this market... maybe "value" stocks start to work and the higher growth / momentum stocks stall out for a while? 2) I'm critical of the buyback culture that now seems to exist in every boardroom in America. I think one can make an easy case that some of the EPS revisions are simply a result of management teams buying back more shares and cancelling them. I don't believe this is going to create long-term shareholder value. 3) The last thing has nothing to do with market valuation, but many times we find out bad loans were made in the good times. When liquidity dries up, blow ups happen. When blow ups happen, people are more cautious, and markets hate uncertainty. So it may not be a deep financial-driven recession like 2008's global financial crisis, but I could see a 30% down year followed by needing time to get animal spirits going again.

Most boomers haven’t saved enough, they can’t afford to pull their money out.

besides, when I retire my strategy will be to put 5 years of needed money into bonds, the rest let it keep riding.

I’m about five years away; I’m transitioning into high dividend stocks and hope to live off dividends rather than selling anything.

and short the hell out of this market?

I am close.

Shorting might be getting harder or at least the cost of borrowing the shares to short more expensive.

Largest pension fund in the world has suspended their securities lending program. Others are taking a close look. Could be a tipoff they are looking to get more flexible to react to the markets instead of having securities they would like to sell out on loan.

I've already jumped the gun too many times. Got nothing left in it

Same. I am the poster child for not trying to time the market. My gut is usually right, but the Fed or some other reason always leaves me losing.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT