ADVERTISEMENT

Any update on the Sammys?

I'm upset they let Stoll continue to wrestle after hurting his knee.
I'm with you...that was about the dumbest piece of coaching I've ever seen (Stoll wasn't going to beat Gwiz so Iowa had nothing to gain by letting him go back for more of an ass kicking after the first injury timeout. WTH!!

Reactions: Lsanders20

Me, when Stoll went down.

635847739710958232931218476_tumblr_ngoso56pl71st84k2o1_500.gif

Being a coach myself that understands the significance of winning a championship whether a state or a national you learn to see the forest for the trees. I think our coaches were definitely looking at the trees here and not the big picture. Stoll gets to wrestlewith some outstanding heavies everyday in practice. One beat down from the 2 time champ is not going to fast track his development. Once he had to use injury time and give up that escape point why would you continue at this time of year?

I was there for the Matt Fields leg/knee destruction....that place (the Pavilion) went quiet as mouse when it happened.....hopefully Stoll is okay....I've seen lots of athletes get up and walk off the field with what appeared to be minor knee injuries..only to find out the dreaded ACL was torn. I've torn both of mine (not at the same time)...but walked on them right away...they only got really painful after the swelling had set in....is a weird feeling when you are walking on with torn acls...its feels as if your leg is just "loose" or flopping around...strange feeling.

Wish I could say that I was doing something awesome when I tore them....one was playing sand volleyball and the other one I ruptured (along with my meniscus, pcl, and a fracture of my leg) doing judo....lol....

Any time a guy is able to walk off under his own power means there is a decent shot he will be back. Think positive.

I agree, maybe its just strained and likely really sore for the big fella right now. I just hope he is healthy for himself to finish off his great season and have a chance at 4x AA status. I still feel bad for Telford in DSM when his knee locked up. Only thing that kept him from a 4x AA. The HWT knee gods owe us one!!

Reactions: Azchief32
I was there for the Matt Fields leg/knee destruction....that place (the Pavilion) went quiet as mouse when it happened.....hopefully Stoll is okay....I've seen lots of athletes get up and walk off the field with what appeared to be minor knee injuries..only to find out the dreaded ACL was torn. I've torn both of mine (not at the same time)...but walked on them right away...they only got really painful after the swelling had set in....is a weird feeling when you are walking on with torn acls...its feels as if your leg is just "loose" or flopping around...strange feeling.

Wish I could say that I was doing something awesome when I tore them....one was playing sand volleyball and the other one I ruptured (along with my meniscus, pcl, and a fracture of my leg) doing judo....lol....
Very good description of what it feels like. I completely tore my ACL in 2013 playing full contact Alumni football at the ripe age of 35. Everything went great in the alumni game the year before. Lol. Couldn't agree more that it just feels like your entire lower leg is hanging or flopping around. Mine hurt like hell right from the get go but definitely got worse with swelling. Horrible injury. Former Hawkeye wrestler and team Dr. Mark Mysnyk did a great job on mine but it will never be the same. Hope Sam is healthy next weekend. Can't wait to get to Carver.

Wrestlers need to think about when they are 60,70,80! My golf swing is limited from two shoulder surgeries with wrestling and tennis.
20 year old atheletes don't think that way, especially those that continue on as wrestlers. No pain, no gain....Pain is weakness leaving the body........ Pain is temporary, Pride is forever. It's been drilled into them since they were youngsters.

Last edited:
Stoll has a chance being an AA. It will be a blow to our chances at nationals, but more important I feel for him.
Our chances at nationals, Nationals!!!! You sir are not a citizen of Realville.

You sir are a douchbag
Wow, another another Einstein retort from Mr. cement head. While you've got Iowa penciled in at number 1 or 2 I'm hoping somewhere around 5/6. Hopefully next year we're back in the top 3.

Wow, another another Einstein retort from Mr. cement head. While you've got Iowa penciled in at number 1 or 2 I'm hoping somewhere around 5/6. Hopefully next year we're back in the top 3.

Here.......let me summarize most of your posts on this board for you..................

When I first saw your posts I had you figured for another PSU Troll. Yet you claim to be an Iowa fan. I guess truth is stranger than fiction like they say.

Here.......let me summarize most of your posts on this board for you..................

When I first saw your posts I had you figured for another PSU Troll. Yet you claim to be an Iowa fan. I guess truth is stranger than fiction like they say.
don't know your truth, but I was a season ticket holder for 17 yrs K5, 1-4 until i couldn't find a parking spot. I'm definitely an Iowa wrestling fan

Why would an Iowa Wrestling fan hope for a 5th or 6th place finish? When it is obvious that we have a team that can compete for a title. With fans like that, who needs rivals.

Last edited:
Reactions: ih8iast8
don't know your truth, but I was a season ticket holder for 17 yrs K5, 1-4 until i couldn't find a parking spot. I'm definitely an Iowa wrestling fan
I don't know how they do it in Penn State but Iowa season ticket holders can buy something called a parking pass. It works real well.

Why would an Iowa Wrestling fan hope for a 5th or 6th place finish? When it is obvious that we have a team that can compete for a title. With fans like that, who needs rivals.
Don't ya know Don, on this board pessimistic 'realism' is more realistic than optimistic realism. In fact, its really real.

Reactions: DirkTang1
I don't know how they do it in Penn State but Iowa season ticket holders can buy something called a parking pass. It works real well.

He must be confused with his excuse for giving up his football season tickets. If he gave up wrestling tickets because of parking, I have oceanside property in Riverside I would like to sell him.

How bout walking the dog! Lol! My point is you don't want chronic pain when you get past 50! Especially,if you are gonna live to 70,80,etc. Stay away from the knife,especially,neck,back,knees,shoulders,elbows. Especially,multiple surgeries.

This morning on my way to work I drove by Bluebird in IC and saw 2 big guys walking into the restaurant. At first I thought they were football players, but then I noticed one of them had long sideburns, was going bald and had a baby face. I am 90% sure it was Sam Stoll. He was not on crutches and I didn't notice a limp, but I saw him only briefly. If it was him I guess that is at least promising. Pretty sure it was him.
I hope everything will be ok and that Sam will walk out on the mat next Friday! However, seeing StollHouse walking doesn't mean much; in my 20 plus years of coaching I saw many cases in which athletes with torn ACLs could walk, jogg and even run straight - but cutting, changing direction etc. was impossible.

I hope everything will be ok and that Sam will walk out on the mat next Friday! However, seeing StollHouse walking doesn't mean much; in my 20 plus years of coaching I saw many cases in which athletes with torn ACLs could walk, jogg and even run straight - but cutting, changing direction etc. was impossible.

This...and it's even worse when you are 275+ and have another guy that is 250+ leaning on you. If Stoll has a bum knee the knee will not be able to handle that.

This stinks like Bob getting hurt in DM a few years back. Anyone who was there saw that he was completely unable to wrestle after his knee buckled. Maybe it's not as bad as Telford's injury but it certainly didn't look good last Monday. It would be a pretty amazing at this point if Stoll can even wrestle, much less qualify.

Reactions: #10Hawk
hopefully structurally both Sammy's don't make their knees worse by wrestling....just to damn bad that they both got hurt...really, really liked the progress Stoll has made this year.....damn.

Reactions: andegre
If it is that bad they should punt. Send them out there for two injury defaults each. Both will be at large selections.

Reactions: JohnBasedow
That would suck. Hope you have bad info...
I hope this info came from a guy who was told this by his imaginary friend who's name is Bing Bong the half dolphin, half elephant who cries candy.
I just have a bad feeling that it's actually true though. NCAAs needs to shorten the season. Right now, the season is like 4 months long, way to much opportunities for injuries.

If it is that bad they should punt. Send them out there for two injury defaults each. Both will be at large selections.
Those were my thoughts as well if what Sandor said is true. Their seeds might take a hit, and our B1G chances, but gives them an extra 2 weeks to get healthy and hopefully go on a run at NCAA's. This whole situation sucks. Stoll was really looking like a 4x AA, and now he may have the same fate as Telford, missing out on #4 due to injury.. I know theres a lot that can still happen and nothing is a guarantee but I only see upward trajectory for Stoll throughout his career. At least Brooks was able to finish his match, but it still didn't look good. Hope he can make the quarters again, and if he can't punch through to the semi's, at least get a favorable draw in the R12.

Wrestlers need to think about when they are 60,70,80! My golf swing is limited from two shoulder surgeries with wrestling and tennis.
Be grateful for the kick-ass experiences you had in your youth that developed your character and gave your life depth. Others let life pass them by so that their rheumatoid arthritis pain would be only a 6 instead of an 8 at age 80.

Moth to the flame, baby: live life while you're young. 80 is gonna suck no matter what.

Be grateful for the kick-ass experiences you had in your youth that developed your character and gave your life depth. Others let life pass them by so that their rheumatoid arthritis pain would be only a 6 instead of an 8 at age 80.

Moth to the flame, baby: live life while you're young. 80 is gonna suck no matter what.
Amen. 20 years old. Had shoulder surgery already. Not gonna change how I live my life athletically just because of that.

Not a doctor, but it looked like Brooks was an ankle, not a knee. If so, unless it is the dreaded high ankle sprain, getting through to nationals might be workable situation with a couple more weeks rest. Except Brooks puts a lot of pressure trying those throw moves so he might have to go back to some other moves. Stoll injury didn't look near as good, but heard over the weekend it may be ACL, but they are playing close to vest for now. That would be very unfortunate and probably cost him about half of next season too when you consider it is 9 month recovery.

I hear it's not good, for either of the Sammys.
They'll probably go this weekend but will not be anywhere near 100% or even 70%

I hope this info came from a guy who was told this by his imaginary friend who's name is Bing Bong the half dolphin, half elephant who cries candy.
I just have a bad feeling that it's actually true though. NCAAs needs to shorten the season. Right now, the season is like 4 months long, way to much opportunities for injuries.

What's happening here??

Reactions: UndercoverHawk
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT