ADVERTISEMENT

Any word on Gordon or Sibley's visits?

Where has this “position-less basketball” narrative come from?

It is a concept with some merit WHEN you have very versatile athletes with length and quickness, and a recipe for disaster when you don't, especially if you also lack specific skill sets (ex. passing, rebounding...etc.)

Reactions: Mohawkeye
What about Frans recruiting or system supports this theory?

If that’s the case you don’t recruit guys like Toussaint, Bohannon, or Garza that really only have one role.

Take it for what it's worth but Sibley not coming to Iowa State. Would be a great recruit for Iowa.
If he’s still visiting Georgetown and has Iowa in his final 2 then that seems correct by process of elimination.

Thanks for responses on scholarships available. I assumed that Till was a one year deal. Pemsl didn't help himself with his off court mistake.

Technically 2 after Ulis.

There is an open ride right now with Kriener and Evelyn coming off the books after this season.

There could be more open based upon any of the following taking place:

Bohannon playing this season
Till going back to walk on status after this season
Future attrition

I don't believe Till got put on scholarship for the rest of his career at Iowa. Not a Nic Baer situation. My understanding is there was an unused ride this year so he got it for the year with no commitment after the year

“Positionless” basketball is something I remember Fran talking about as early as 2015. He’s made progress towards that end.
1) Shooting:
Woody, Olaseni, Basabi would not shoot the 3. Now, the only frontcourt guy Iowa has who can’t is Pemsl. As far as shooting in the guards, Iowa’s moved from Gesell, Sapp, Ogelsby to Jok, JB, Wieskamp.
2) Ball-handing:
Iowa’s moved from basically only the PG being trusted to handle the ball to 2019 where JW and Patrick are pretty capable at SF. Fran has tried to push bigger guys to handle, sometimes more than they were really able to. Remember McCabe at the 3? Cook at the 4? That’s a philosophy of trying to get the team to be positionless.
3) Length:
Iowa has consistently been noted recently for their length. This too goes towards the positionless philosophy. We all remember the attempts at putting McCabe or Basabe or Whitey at the 3. Now Iowa has the more capable JW and PM there.
4) Versatility:
Even guys that appear to be pigeonholed in today’s team have versatility. Garza is a post player, but he can shoot the 3. JB has set records at PG, but wouldn’t he wreak havoc at SG? Toussaint is a traditional PG, but even with him I’ve read posts suggesting that he might pair with Connor at SG because of his D, sort of like Sapp and Gesell in 2015.

Fran has consistently moved towards this positionless philosophy to the point where I expect a certain versatility in his recruits. Even Ogundele, I was surprised to learn, first caught the eye of his HS coach as this big active guy who was shooting and making 3s. So now we’re also recruiting Foster (a big with length who moves well and likes to shoot the 3), Sibley (a forward who, unlike Cook, looks comfortable shooting and handling at his position), Gordon (a 3-2 player with length), Ulis (a PG who’s already spoken about putting some time in at SG).

Last edited:
tos put a crystal ball in favor of Iowa for D.J. Gordon. Not sure how reliable that is but it likes like a good sign.

Reactions: skydog0784
They only have one open scholarship and really like their chances with Foster. They are on a couple of other high priority recruits and would oversign in the Fall for the right recruit/fit.

They like a an Indian Hills SF a lot. Tucker something?

Reactions: KeyWest Tim

Interesting. Brian Snow, 247 National Recruiting Analyst with 247, just posted this.

"Hearing Iowa could be in really good shape with class of 2020 SG DJ Gordon."

"I want to stress there is no commitment yet. But Iowa has done a real good job here, and is very much out front. Now they have to hold the lead, but that is where it stands as of this afternoon."

Interesting. Brian Snow, 247 National Recruiting Analyst with 247, just posted this.

"Hearing Iowa could be in really good shape with class of 2020 SG DJ Gordon."

"I want to stress there is no commitment yet. But Iowa has done a real good job here, and is very much out front. Now they have to hold the lead, but that is where it stands as of this afternoon."

If I had to guess Robs information came from inside the program or someone close to it. Possibly a shady recruitment or just simply not a good fit. Who knows.

If I had to guess Robs information came from inside the program or someone close to it. Possibly a shady recruitment or just simply not a good fit. Who knows.

If Rob's source is correct I would agree that it's more likely Iowa is pulling the plug. My guess is Snow gets his information from the recruit.

If Rob is correct then ugh... Today was going so well thinking we had a top 150 SG and in the top 2 for Sibley.

I hope this staff can prove us wrong. I don't want a bunch of fallbacks. If we miss Foster without landing another top 150 player, Fran will be catching flak.

Iowa is in good shape with Gordon but pulls the plug...

Jackson, thought to be UConn bound, announces tomorrow...

Coincidence?

If Rob's source is correct I would agree that it's more likely Iowa is pulling the plug. My guess is Snow gets his information from the recruit.

If Rob is correct then ugh... Today was going so well thinking we had a top 150 SG and in the top 2 for Sibley.

I hope this staff can prove us wrong. I don't want a bunch of fallbacks. If we miss Foster without landing another top 150 player, Fran will be catching flak.

If Howe is correct maybe Iowa only wanted one wing. And they think they have Sibley? Want one or two bigs instead Foster & the British Big. It's all speculation until Iowa gets some verbals.

Sibley would be a great second addition, then need a big or two. They do have a lot of wings already, but Sibley is a nice different piece for Fran to tinker with.

FWIW, a site admin at the Iowa 247 site texted Gordon and he denied that Iowa backed off. So either Rob has a bad source or Fran isn't being transparent with his recruit. We'll see how this plays out but I'm not inclined to believe Rob.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I believe Rob was very outspoken that Oliver Martin wouldn't be transferring to Iowa days before it occurred.

FWIW, a site admin at the Iowa 247 site texted Gordon and he denied that Iowa backed off. So either Rob has a bad source or Fran isn't being transparent with his recruit. We'll see how this plays out but I'm not inclined to believe Rob.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I believe Rob was very outspoken that Oliver Martin wouldn't be transferring to Iowa days before it occurred.

4ai_0lxju6a.jpeg

It's being reported that Minnesota is no longer recruiting Sibley. They are believed to be getting Martice Mitchell.

Good news for us. Georgetown might be the lone threat.

Logic says Georgetown is the other team in his "Top Two" since he hadn't taken his visit there yet. If he wasn't considering them he would cancel the visit.

We've got a shot, but I still don't feel good about it. We always seem to end up on the wrong end of these.

“Positionless” basketball is something I remember Fran talking about as early as 2015. He’s made progress towards that end.
1) Shooting:
Woody, Olaseni, Basabi would not shoot the 3. Now, the only frontcourt guy Iowa has who can’t is Pemsl. As far as shooting in the guards, Iowa’s moved from Gesell, Sapp, Ogelsby to Jok, JB, Wieskamp.
2) Ball-handing:
Iowa’s moved from basically only the PG being trusted to handle the ball to 2019 where JW and Patrick are pretty capable at SF. Fran has tried to push bigger guys to handle, sometimes more than they were really able to. Remember McCabe at the 3? Cook at the 4? That’s a philosophy of trying to get the team to be positionless.
3) Length:
Iowa has consistently been noted recently for their length. This too goes towards the positionless philosophy. We all remember the attempts at putting McCabe or Basabe or Whitey at the 3. Now Iowa has the more capable JW and PM there.
4) Versatility:
Even guys that appear to be pigeonholed in today’s team have versatility. Garza is a post player, but he can shoot the 3. JB has set records at PG, but wouldn’t he wreak havoc at SG? Toussaint is a traditional PG, but even with him I’ve read posts suggesting that he might pair with Connor at SG because of his D, sort of like Sapp and Gesell in 2015.

Fran has consistently moved towards this positionless philosophy to the point where I expect a certain versatility in his recruits. Even Ogundele, I was surprised to learn, first caught the eye of his HS coach as this big active guy who was shooting and making 3s. So now we’re also recruiting Foster (a big with length who moves well and likes to shoot the 3), Sibley (a forward who, unlike Cook, looks comfortable shooting and handling at his position), Gordon (a 3-2 player with length), Ulis (a PG who’s already spoken about putting some time in at SG).

I get your points and agree with several, but for this philosophy to work you have to "get there" with your recruiting. If you miss on too many of the pieces, you can be left in a poorer position than if you recruited more traditionally to positions.
  1. Having a big that can pull his defender out to three changes the dynamic for wings and guards to be able to drive. Garza is a real change in the dynamic of the team in that way.
  2. Iowa does have more guys that can handle the ball, but haven't had enough quickness to consistently be able to take others off the dribble at multiple positions. I think that was one dissappointment with Moss is that he seemed to have the quickness to dribble drive, but either not the handles or the mentality to do it consistently. They have more guys that can shoot the long ball which was a weakness before, but quickness to defend or drive has not been as strong. I believe that is the excitement with Joe T in that he seems to have a desire and skill to play D as well as more quickness than others on the team.
  3. Fran has always been able to recruit "length", yet length without lateral quickness can lead to poor defense, especially if exposed away from the basket on the wing.
I think for the concept of "positionless" basketball to actually work takes more great athletes than Fran has consistently been able to recruit.

Reactions: HoustonREDHawk
I think for the concept of "positionless" basketball to actually work takes more great athletes than Fran has consistently been able to recruit.
I agree. Fran has tried to fit round pegs into square holes sometimes in this positionless concept. Another example is Nunge at SF in 2016.
It could also help to explain some of the late season slides he’s had. IE trying to go towards an ideal he didn’t yet have the horses for.
But this is why getting so far with some versatile guys in this recruiting cycle is exciting.

Last edited:

Iowa has moved on from Gordon. Won't be coming to Iowa.

Reactions: CP84
I agree. Fran has tried to fit round pegs into square holes sometimes in this positionless concept. Another example is Nunge at SF in 2016.
It could also help to explain some of the late season slides he’s had. IE trying to go towards an ideal he didn’t yet have the horses for.
But this is why getting so far with some versatile guys in this recruiting cycle and is exciting.

Atleast he's not trying to put square pegs in round holes

Reactions: BBHawk
Any hints as to whose decision that was?

Iowa’s decision, not Gordon’s.

Substantiated by the way Tom phrased his comment plus other site’s comments referenced above.

The staff and team must have seen or heard some things they didn’t think aligns with the team chemistry, vision, etc.

ADVERTISEMENT