ADVERTISEMENT

Anyone get any birds today?

You make some good points. Do you have any insight on coated seeds (neonics) and/or the lack of insects these days relative to say 20+ years ago? Just curious.
The jury is still out on neo-nics. Seed treatment is generally deemed safe on bees and other insects, but there is a school of thought that when unloading seed into a central hopper(like what most farmers have now) that the treatment can dust off and enter the environment. Again, no scientific data, just postulating.

Reactions: Old_wrestling_fan
The jury is still out on neo-nics. Seed treatment is generally deemed safe on bees and other insects, but there is a school of thought that when unloading seed into a central hopper(like what most farmers have now) that the treatment can dust off and enter the environment. Again, no scientific data, just postulating.
Yeah the idea is the vacuum planters blow a lot seed treatment into the air. Need a vacuum planter for higher plant populations vs finger pickup. Whether it does much, I don’t know.

Reactions: Mayland
Decline started when John Deere converted to a rotor combine. Not near the harvest loss. 😉 Walk behind a combine these days and not much grain left behind, use a Draper head and there is even less.
Biggest change back in the 90’s was Roundup Ready crops, just nowhere near the foxtail on field edges. Foxtail and giant ragweed were big food sources.
I work with PF quite a bit and they promote a lot of CRP but I think it takes more than native grasses for good pheasant habitat. I like to see a variety, if I have crop next to CRP, cover crop does wonders to draw in pheasants, much more open, always see birds in the less dense cover crop. If you wants quail, fence line habitat is a must. They can’t fight through the native tall grasses. Those that that have habitat, have birds.
Not sure why, but I've seen more spillage in the fields this fall than I have in a long time?

Yeah, I absolutely won't hunt without one any more. In addition to greatly improving your success rate, easily half or more of the pleasure I get in chasing roosters is watching a good dog work.
Yeah, I ended up getting a pup 3 years ago, best decision. It makes me get out more, it makes me enjoy the hunt more, and we certainly get more birds because of her.

Oh buddy. You missed out
Fences to contain the cattle most farmers had and picked corn instead if combined provded perfect cover in the 70s and 80s.

You didnt need a dog and there were birds everywhere. If you didnt easily limit just pairing up and walking a ditch/fence rows.....it was because you were a terrible shot.

Reactions: ClarindaA's
I dont think so. I just started hunting a few years ago. The dnr says the numbers are better than they have been in many years the last couple years. I will say I haven't seen a lot just driving around like I have the last two years so maybe it is down this year.
Know anybody east of you? (Hamilton county between Webster City and Story City).

Family in that area that does well. Been 2 or 3 years since Ive been hunting there but there are areas of good habit and I see roosters all the time.

Went to one of my favorite spots today and there was a huge Hawk eating something big. When I pulled up the Hawk flew away and I saw he had been feasting on the remains of a bunch of pheasants that a group must have caught this morning. I counted 9 heads. A day late and a dollar short. Lol

Do you ever get tired of being a douche?

200w.gif

Reactions: jamesvanderwulf
My wife’s uncle used to go on and on about how great his chocolate lab was for pheasant hunting so I invited him down to hunt some private land near our family farm on an opening day.

Within two minutes of starting our initial walk into the first field his dog was at least a hundred yards in front of us and was feverishly flushing every bird out and away before we could even get close. The uncle was screaming bloody hell at that dog the entire day and we got one bird by dumb luck the whole day, no thanks to that mutt. Needless to say I never hunted with him or his dog again.

Reactions: ironside1 and DooBi
My wife’s uncle used to go on and on about how great his chocolate lab was for pheasant hunting so I invited him down to hunt some private land near our family farm on an opening day.

Within two minutes of starting our initial walk into the first field his dog was at least a hundred yards in front of us and was feverishly flushing every bird out and away before we could even get close. The uncle was screaming bloody hell at that dog the entire day and we got one bird by dumb luck the whole day, no thanks to that mutt. Needless to say I never hunted with him or his dog again.
No collar?

I am sure they exist but i have never hunted behind a good flushing dog.

To me why would you? We arent hunting for meat to feed the family over the winter so why not enjoy the art of the point?….nothing is better than a shorthair/wirehair/vizsla locked up tighter than a drum and you walk up to it and the bird flushes and you shoot.

Makes bird hunting worth it. I could care less if i shoot anything….if i get good dog work out of my dog and get at least a hen point or two, its a great day. Thats the joy in bird hunting.

Hunted Saturday morning at our farm by Galva. Tenant had the beans out but not the corn.

My buddy and I both brought two dogs each with us and said we might as well give it a try and worked a waterway with 200 acres of corn bordering right up against it.

Made it to the end of the cover by 8:45 and each of us had 2 birds and I missed my third that got up in the wind and was in the corn in a blink of an eye.

Dogs pushed up 7 hens too and who knows how many were in the standing corn. But it was cold and windy and we wanted to beat the weather so we called it a day instead of going to our other farm. We will save that for next time.

Lots of birds out all fall in Nw iowa. Still not like the 1970’s-80’s, or South Dakota, but pretty damn good compared to 6-7 years ago.

I have two golden labs and they are the best I’ve had since a Weimaraner I hunted with 20 years ago. My hunting partner has a red lab and a chocolate and all 4 dogs were outstanding on Saturday.

My one dog made a great retrieve from the standing corn and I was almost as proud of it as she was when she popped out of the field.

Hunting with good dogs is such a joy.

So I have been severely phucking humbled in the last 24 hours.

I'm on a rutcation right now and had yesterday as a perfect evening sit. North/NW wind dying down at dusk. Was able to get in early enough that the rising thermals didn't mess with my small bedding area. Good hand to make something out of, probably my #2 hottest pick of the week behind this Friday which looks $$$$.

Get up in the stand, 45ish mi uses in a nice little 6 point maybe 8 cruises by, checks my scents, but I pass because he is a little thin, gotta love private land.....

Next deer, solid 8 that I see around, basket is small but was hoping this year he would fill out more, wouldn't mind taking him, kinda want to save him for my BIL's brother.

445ish.... I'm rattling but the drop rattle I've made is falling apart and I don't want to lose my horns so I pull everything up to the stand..as soon as I get the rattles up into my handles... here comes one of my target bucks walking straight ****ing at me.... he quartered me, so I couldnt drop the horns and grab my bow, and at 18 yards stood and looked at me for a solid 2-3 minutes like hahaha dickhead, you flinch and I'm never coming back and I'll tell every other asshole in the woods where you are at RIGHT NOW. So of course had to just sit there and gut it.

Phuck.

Today... west wind... can't deer hunt it. Took the dog for a pheasant hunt. Know the lay of the land, knew where the birds might be holding due to the wind, watched the dog get big and birdie.... right to left shot at 20 yards....... behind with the first barrel and I don't know how the shit I missed the 2nd.

Getting real good and hunt and release fellas... shit is over-rated.

Orschelin’s changed their name so as a protest I’m not buying any chickens until they change it back. I thought this was America!

Nothing better than training a dog and that first bird it brings to you.
For real!! ^^ I still remember the first time my first dog retrieved a rooster to my hand and since she was so young, and small of stature, that first fall, I really had no expectation that she would do so. But she was incredibly quick on the uptake and trotted out and stared at that dead bird for a couple of seconds and then almost as if she was a robot...picked it up and drug it back to me.

I may have started crying. OK, OK...I did start crying. Man, what a feeling, what a great, great dog and companion she was.

Thanks for that memory, now almost 40 years later. It was glorious.

Took the 1 year old for a walk over lunch. Too dang hot to have pheasants in good cover. Only managed to see 1 hen and dog ran right by it and it almost gave me a heart attack when I stepped on it. Damn dog

For real!! ^^ I still remember the first time my first dog retrieved a rooster to my hand and since she was so young, and small of stature, that first fall, I really had no expectation that she would do so. But she was incredibly quick on the uptake and trotted out and stared at that dead bird for a couple of seconds and then almost as if she was a robot...picked it up and drug it back to me.

I may have started crying. OK, OK...I did start crying. Man, what a feeling, what a great, great dog and companion she was.

That's the good stuff right there.

Blue wing teal for mine. I had wing shot it and had to finish it out in the "middle" of Beaver lake. He had more confidence than I did at the time and I literally started to undress as he was swimming back towards me "incase I had to get him" ( yea ****ing right). I'll never forget that.

That's the good stuff right there.

Blue wing teal for mine. I had wing shot it and had to finish it out in the "middle" of Beaver lake. He had more confidence than I did at the time and I literally started to undress as he was swimming back towards me "incase I had to get him" ( yea ****ing right). I'll never forget that.
While that first retrieve is a memory that I will always cherish...there was at least one other time that I was even more emotional over that dog. We were in a large group on opening morning and most/all of the corn was still standing. So I "walked" every drive that day, in part because I had a dog and in part because I was one of the younger hunters.

There were birds galore that day and they were getting dropped out of the sky left and right...with a couple/few going down and still alive enough to hide/run. My dog found EVERYTHING that morning and it was just a fantastic time of hooting and hollering as the fellas complimented me and that dog over and over and over.

Towards the end of that hunt, she outdid herself and followed the scent of a downed bird through some very heavy brush and voila, found it and brought it back to me promptly. As I was handing to the hunter that shot it he was pounding me on the back and telling me what a great dog I had, etc, while at the same time several of the other hunters were chiming in and singing the high praises of my dog. I lasted about 15 seconds before I was bawling my eyes out.

I have to confess...I had many great experiences of fatherly pride as my boys grew up...but never to the point that I was crying tears like a kid who lost his mommy. That dog...sniff, sniff.

Where did you go? Do you do it yourself or a guide? I’d love to hear more details
Its all DIY. We stay in Martin SD and hunt in Nebraska. Not sure how familiar you are with NE but once you get west of Valentine it really transitions from the plains( hay) to big sky country, especially west of the Niobrara.

Reactions: CJ Beat Hard
Walked a crick and a fenceline today with my 17 year old. I finally got something to shoot at when a big Ole rooster flew up right in front of me. Flying directly away from me like I like and I missed the damn thing with three shots. Lol Only rooster we saw all day.

We did kick up the most hens I've ever seen in one spot. There had to be 18 or 20. All together. The sky exploded and we both were aimed and ready to shoot and we both said at the same time "All hens!?!?"

Walked a crick and a fenceline today with my 17 year old. I finally got something to shoot at when a big Ole rooster flew up right in front of me. Flying directly away from me like I like and I missed the damn thing with three shots. Lol Only rooster we saw all day.

We did kick up the most hens I've ever seen in one spot. There had to be 18 or 20. All together. The sky exploded and we both were aimed and ready to shoot and we both said at the same time "All hens!?!?"
Before I give you shit... pump gun or SA?

Before I give you shit... pump gun or SA?

As I know where you are going with this (and I can't disagree with the "purist" angle of pheasant hunting), I must also say:

1) I hunted with a Beretta over-under 12ga for many years and then the inertia spring/block started getting goofy, wouldn't switch to the second barrel automatically like it should.....I had it cleaned and looked at, worked fine for a bit, then started doing it again and I said f*ck it, had them put a new spring in it and haven't shot it again sense....i went and bought me a Benelli Montefeltro semi-automatic 12 ga......and love it. Got some extended choke tubes and really like it.

2) A buddy I hunt with quite often shot a triple with a Benelli Montefeltro (I was there to witness it), so that is another plus of having more than 2 shots.

3) The first gun I used for bird hunting and shot for 15 years was a 28" barrel, full choke 870 pump....so feel I have served my penance of shooting old school guns.

At the end of the day, shooting is a lot like golf.....its mostly between the ears and a guy just needs to shoot what he feels most confident with.

As I know where you are going with this (and I can't disagree with the "purist" angle of pheasant hunting), I must also say:

1) I hunted with a Beretta over-under 12ga for many years and then the inertia spring/block started getting goofy, wouldn't switch to the second barrel automatically like it should.....I had it cleaned and looked at, worked fine for a bit, then started doing it again and I said f*ck it, had them put a new spring in it and haven't shot it again sense....i went and bought me a Benelli Montefeltro semi-automatic 12 ga......and love it. Got some extended choke tubes and really like it.

2) A buddy I hunt with quite often shot a triple with a Benelli Montefeltro (I was there to witness it), so that is another plus of having more than 2 shots.

3) The first gun I used for bird hunting and shot for 15 years was a 28" barrel, full choke 870 pump....so feel I have served my penance of shooting old school guns.

At the end of the day, shooting is a lot like golf.....its mostly between the ears and a guy just needs to shoot what he feels most confident with.
Haha... good catch. I'm sure you know it's all in good fun and I know Doobie has thick enough skin to take some BS. And 100% to your point I'll tell myself I'm slightly full of shit because at the end of the day what I really care about is can you kill birds or not.

But I am a little bit of a traditionalist:

Berretta BL4 (12) top

Browning citori (16) bottom ( my preferred upland gun)

20231109-164023.jpg

But I do have a dirty little secret:

Beretta A400 (20)
20231109-164354.jpg

and as a waterfowler I love the third shot of my Rem Versa Max (12)

Also, care to share more about that pesky berreta? I love old dou le barrels.

Last edited:

Had A Britany a long time ago. Hunted a place west of Walker.
Walked all the fence rows and draws and was walking back when she froze up on a fencerow we had walked earlier. I said get over here we already hunted it. Up busted a rooster. Never doubted her again.

Haha... good catch. I'm sure you know it's all in good fun and I know Doobie has thick enough skin to take some BS. And 100% to your point I'll tell myself I'm slightly full of shit because at the end of the day what I really care about is can you kill birds or not.

But I am a little bit of a traditionalist:

Berretta BL4 (12) top

Browning citori (16) bottom ( my preferred upland gun)

20231109-164023.jpg

But I do have a dirty little secret:

Beretta A400 (20)
20231109-164354.jpg

and as a waterfowler I love the third shot of my Rem Versa Max (12)

Also, care to share more about that pesky berreta? I love old dou le barrels.
I have a JC Higgins 12 Guage that was made before guns had serial numbers on them which was in the 40s I think. It's a piece of shit but I've killed a few birds with it. I've only been hunting for 3 years now.

And, yeah, I can take shit just as well as the next man.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT