ADVERTISEMENT

Anyone get any birds today?

Well run for office and ban farming. That'd be the right thing to do. Ban hunting too. See what happens to the Iowa economy. It'll be like the iron ore ranges in northern Minnesota. Everyone is unemployed and strung out on meth.
No, but there needs to be better education and incentive. Farming is damaging water quality as well. Needs to have more buffer strips. Basically, mandate for and buffer strips if farmers get federal aid.

Saw some rednecks at a local mechanic shop. They were bragging about hunting on land that they didn’t have permission to hunt.

“Those fence lines can be confusing, ha ha ha!.”

“Besides, we’re the ones with the guns, what are they gonna say?”

No, but there needs to be better education and incentive. Farming is damaging water quality as well. Needs to have more buffer strips. Basically, mandate for and buffer strips if farmers get federal aid.
I'm with you. When I was a kid the fence rows always had a bunch of cover. But I also understand that farming has advanced and they can get close now. They don't let cattle out in the fields anymore, so fences aren't needed much anymore. We have thousands of acres of set-a-side, windmills and Pheasants Forever land everywhere. It's no longer around fences, it's in different places now and away from everyday eyes. The birds have plenty of places, it's just in places that aren't what we grew up with.

Reactions: Fan In Black
I'm with you. When I was a kid the fence rows always had a bunch of cover. But I also understand that farming has advanced and they can get close now. They don't let cattle out in the fields anymore, so fences aren't needed much anymore. We have thousands of acres of set-a-side, windmills and Pheasants Forever land everywhere. It's no longer around fences, it's in different places now and away from everyday eyes. The birds have plenty of places, it's just in places that aren't what we grew up with.
No bro….we are losing crp at high rates. My father is 4th generation farmer, guilty as sin of farming road to road. It’s disgusting. Then bitch about prices. Iowa is for farming, if you want scenery and hunting move west.

Yeah it might not be the same as 50 years ago like I said. The numbers are much better than they were 10 years ago I think.
This is what I have heard too. It’s better than a decade ago. I see them here and there, even on the edges of town.

Both pheasant and wild turkey numbers seem to be very high in our area this year based on walks nearby.
I about hit a turkey on my way to work last week last week. It flew out of the brush onto the road and quickly bounced back into the ditch. There is a large group of turkeys that hang around that area in town and have for years.

Thanks for posting this, Doobs. Lost my dad in 2014 and one of my best memories was getting up with him crazy early to go hunting, especially opening weekend. We had a draw that ran through our farm ground, just west of Le Mars. I swear he couldn't sleep the night before. When I was a kid, he packed a cooler. Towards the end, big ole coffee thermos. I could sit and listen to him and his friends tell stories and break balls all day.
0800 is crazy early?

Drove gravel for a couple hours this afternoon. Only saw one pheasant. It sucks when you're by yourself without a dog. Gonna try again tomorrow but I'm going to walk a couple cricks, fencelines and draws that I have access to.

Reactions: NoleinATL
That’s not what your bloody asshole says.

ricky-gervais-laugh.gif

Drove gravel for a couple hours this afternoon. Only saw one pheasant. It sucks when you're by yourself without a dog. Gonna try again tomorrow but I'm going to walk a couple cricks, fencelines and draws that I have access to.
I used to walk RR right off ways back in my day. 1 mile down and back usually picked up 2-3

No bro….we are losing crp at high rates. My father is 4th generation farmer, guilty as sin of farming road to road. It’s disgusting. Then bitch about prices. Iowa is for farming, if you want scenery and hunting move west.
I asking because I didn't realize that crp is going away. Are farmers filling it and getting paid? They've been farming the ditches since I was a teenager in the 80's. Supply and demand I get it. But the government also reduced the amount of ethanol use also. Less fuel is being used so less mixture is needed.

I asking because I didn't realize that crp is going away. Are farmers filling it and getting paid? They've been farming the ditches since I was a teenager in the 80's. Supply and demand I get it. But the government also reduced the amount of ethanol use also. Less fuel is being used so less mixture is needed.
It’s greed at this point

I would love to do that. I saw a Meateater episode last week where they shot a bunch of different ducks. Looked like they had a blast and the food looked amazing.
It's an amazing trip but it's hard ass work. I'll post some more photos here in a bit.

20231027-105401.jpg

My buddy shot this with a decent camera so the original is much better, but, he is going to enter it into the state fair titled "as they lay"

IMG-1864.jpg

This is a bad photo of an amazing event. It got down to 11 Friday morning with a high in the 20s for the day but the lakes were still warm so they would steam and the steam would immediately flash freeze. It was like walking through frozen fog. Then the water was like a slushee. So we were walking through bellybutton high slushee in frozen fog.
20231026-154137.jpg

Again, not a great photo, but I have never seen as many swans or Sandhills cranes.

20231028-103920-0.jpg

20231028-103917.jpg

This is my first/only Canvasback, a decent Bull.

Screenshot-20231029-200255-Messages.jpg

Last edited:
It's an amazing trip but it's hard ass work. I'll post some more photos here in a bit.

20231027-105401.jpg

My buddy shot this with a decent camera so the original is much better, but, he is going to enter it into the state fair titled "as they lay"

IMG-1864.jpg

This is a bad photo of an amazing event. It got down to 11 Friday morning with a high in the 20s for the day but the lakes were still warm so they would steam and the steam would immediately flash freeze. It was like walking through frozen fog. Then the water was like a slushee. So we were walking through bellybutton high slushee in frozen fog.
20231026-154137.jpg
That will make a lib’s head explode!

Decline started when John Deere converted to a rotor combine. Not near the harvest loss. 😉 Walk behind a combine these days and not much grain left behind, use a Draper head and there is even less.
Biggest change back in the 90’s was Roundup Ready crops, just nowhere near the foxtail on field edges. Foxtail and giant ragweed were big food sources.
I work with PF quite a bit and they promote a lot of CRP but I think it takes more than native grasses for good pheasant habitat. I like to see a variety, if I have crop next to CRP, cover crop does wonders to draw in pheasants, much more open, always see birds in the less dense cover crop. If you wants quail, fence line habitat is a must. They can’t fight through the native tall grasses. Those that that have habitat, have birds.

Decline started when John Deere converted to a rotor combine. Not near the harvest loss. 😉 Walk behind a combine these days and not much grain left behind, use a Draper head and there is even less.
Biggest change back in the 90’s was Roundup Ready crops, just nowhere near the foxtail on field edges. Foxtail and giant ragweed were big food sources.
I work with PF quite a bit and they promote a lot of CRP but I think it takes more than native grasses for good pheasant habitat. I like to see a variety, if I have crop next to CRP, cover crop does wonders to draw in pheasants, much more open, always see birds in the less dense cover crop. If you wants quail, fence line habitat is a must. They can’t fight through the native tall grasses. Those that that have habitat, have birds.
You make some good points. Do you have any insight on coated seeds (neonics) and/or the lack of insects these days relative to say 20+ years ago? Just curious.

I need a damn dog.
Huge investment of time and energy but yes they make things much easier.

If you don't have a dog, and love to wingshoot, I would strongly encourage you to look into dove hunting. Public land on opening day is killer so you don't need private land, no dog needed, no special gear needed. Shotgun, bucket, shells, maybe a decoy. One spinning wing decoy will attract more birds than 12 fixed. Just find public land that they planted sunflowers on and be ready to shoot at dawn.

And they are an incredible challenge and make the best poppers.

The only problem with public land/ dove hunting is its pretty well only good for opening day.

But yeah dude they become part of you and your best buddy in the process. I spent the first day of nebraska just running my dog for the blind, never fired a shot, and had the most fun that day. Watching those idiots hit or miss and watching the dog work like a mad man in those thick ass cattails.

Last edited:
I need a damn dog.
Pretty pointless to put the effort in without having a dog. You'll walk past more birds than you know, and your find rate will drive you crazy unless they are stone dead before they hit the ground. Even in heavy cover like cattails or switchgrass, a dogless find is tough on a dead bird, and they only need about 5 seconds of life left to bury themselves forever.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT