ADVERTISEMENT

$200,000 is the starting point for an Elite Point Guard. Player not yet in Portal asking for $1,500,000

Who said they loved it? This system is so FAR beyond broken......
There were a lot of vocal people on this site who were saying it was a great thing since coaches were making millions off the players. Maybe those of us who thought it was a bad thing should have spoke up. Probably wouldn’t have made any difference anyway.

Reactions: Bruceman44
The only problem with the above is after you train them a couple of years and they mature they enter the portal and some other team benefits/rewarded with their last/best two years of play. The current College BBall debacle is untenable and eventually people will start tuning out IMO.
I was thinking coaches and programs could take a Moneyball type approach to highschoolers and transfer guys, but even if you have some initial success, it probably ends up being unsustainable.

As you said, bigger schools will swoop in and take your team’s best players with the lure of more money. And/or, other programs start to notice what you’re doing and outright copy it… or find out what players you’re going after and offer them better deals which means you can’t afford those players anymore.

In short, even if you’re clever working within the current system, the bigger schools and large amounts of money are going to muck it up anyway.

Reactions: DewHawk
How much are these small schools in the NCAA tournament paying their PGs? Seems like every one of them has more at that position than us.

(I do like Harding, but historically Fran can't get ANYONE at that position). He doesn't care or just isn't capable

Somehow some way, they need to cap NIL. Give each university a percentage of the TV money that goes towards NIL. Not paid through booster organizations with big monied influencers. If each college has $20 million to spread around, that's enough for all sports. And cap the amount each student athlete can receive.

Make if fair & equitable.

another thought:

I am guessing that Iowa will be getting around $20 million more from TV next year. Could Beth ask current big time UI donors to redirect their donations to SWARM?
HaHa I doubt it UofI is always cash hungry. Look at how they nickel and dime everybody. Students staff and fans.

Somehow some way, they need to cap NIL. Give each university a percentage of the TV money that goes towards NIL. Not paid through booster organizations with big monied influencers. If each college has $20 million to spread around, that's enough for all sports. And cap the amount each student athlete can receive.

Make if fair & equitable.

Unfortunately once you open that door, there’s no way to cap, monitor it, or honestly enforce it. Not that the NCAA did a good job of enforcing it or punishing it to before NIL.

I don't think anyone had a problem with players earning their fair share. It’s just virtually impossible to do it fairly from player to player and university to university. Most of us knew it would become an arms race between the haves and the have nots. Some of us were even smart enough to know where Iowa stood in that arms race, sadly.

Unfortunately once you open that door, there’s no way to cap, monitor it, or honestly enforce it. Not that the NCAA did a good job of enforcing it or punishing it to before NIL.

I don't think anyone had a problem with players earning their fair share. It’s just virtually impossible to do it fairly from player to player and university to university. Most of us knew it would become an arms race between the haves and the have nots. Some of us were even smart enough to know where Iowa stood in that arms race, sadly.
Before NIL, you definitely couldn't enforce it. Boosters always give $$ under the table at every school. Obviously some more than others & this continues above the table with NIL. But you could monitor the school's money spent on NIL by capping it & forcing to come from the schools cofers. Doesn't mean the boosters wouldn't continue under the table handouts.

Reactions: iahawks10
Pete is a College Sports Business & Transfer Portal Reporter for On3 Sports.

Kinda going OT here ...... but after the whole ordeal with Proctor, somebody is gonna have to reallllllllllllllllllllllllllly sell me on giving up some of my hard-earned cash to spend on bringing a collegiate athlete to Iowa when there are absolutely no guarantees that said athlete is gonna be around long enough to see a minute of playing time before jumping right back into the portal, while possibly leaving with some of that cash in their pocket.

Kinda going OT here ...... but after the whole ordeal with Proctor, somebody is gonna have to reallllllllllllllllllllllllllly sell me on giving up some of my hard-earned cash to spend on bringing a collegiate athlete to Iowa when there are absolutely no guarantees that said athlete is gonna be around long enough to see a minute of playing time before jumping right back into the portal, while possibly leaving with some of that cash in their pocket.
this ^^^^^^ X 10

$200,000 for an elite point guard?!?! That means a $37K point guard would be an upgrade for us! We got that kind of cash!!

If you're going to games and buying merch, you are in the mix. Don't go to games and they'll catch on. The demand for athletics and gambling on such sports has made it into the laughable situation it is now.
Well I can't make games because I work every day but Sunday, so maybe I'm just partially "in the mix"? Seriously though, so your solution is stop being a fan? Fun, huh...

The Swarm didn't give Proctor much before he double crossed Iowa again. If you choose not to donate to swarm, that is fine and your choice, but I do give to Swarm because I want to see a better product. If it only takes $1.2 for Iowa State's basketball payroll, it really doesn't take many fans to make a difference for Iowa basketball. If I were a billionaire I'd just put up the entire payroll myself, but unfortunately not at that level.

How much are these small schools in the NCAA tournament paying their PGs? Seems like every one of them has more at that position than us.

(I do like Harding, but historically Fran can't get ANYONE at that position). He doesn't care or just isn't capable
Fran doesn't want those type of players because most of them aren't shooters.

He didn't want Wes Washpun, he wouldn't offer Monte Morris. He ran Joe Toussaint and Bowen off.

He's a weird dude.

Reactions: skydog0784
If I were an AD the best chance at a good/exciting product would be to fire existing coach(this is not about Fran and Iowa), hire an up and coming coach at 1 mil below previous coaches salary and use that extra million that would have gone to the coach in NIL to build a winning roster(on paper).
The NCAA can't enforce outside entities from donating NIL, but they can stop the schools/coaches from doing so. Therefore a school AD can't just pay the players directly. The only form of competition is hiring a "better" coach and that is why we continue to see Basketball coach Pay escallation---looks like the latest hires in Big10 basketball coaching are around $6 million/yr....that is far more than mid major pay and pay an some of the other conferences. It is ridiculous to see these coaches making out like bandits when winnng now is largely decided by NIL.

The UI. needs to find a way to funnel money from Iowa fans to NIL and do it in manner that is kosher with NCAA.

Reactions: Mohawkeye

He didn't want Wes Washpun, he wouldn't offer Monte Morris. He ran Joe Toussaint and Bowen off.

He's a weird dude.

Watching Washpun's career was painful---Fran gave a scholarship to Washpun's teammate Ogelsby and he refused to go after Washpun. IF the rumors are true about Fran passing on Monte Morris, that just shows why
Fran is 0-for-28 years of coaching for making an run in the NCAA tourney.

Watching Washpun's career was painful---Fran gave a scholarship to Washpun's teammate Ogelsby and he refused to go after Washpun. IF the rumors are true about Fran passing on Monte Morris, that just shows why
Fran is 0-for-28 years of coaching for making an run in the NCAA tourney.
He doesn't think guards are what wins games and he wont play more than two guards at a time, that's why he never has many on the roster in a given year.

Well I can't make games because I work every day but Sunday, so maybe I'm just partially "in the mix"? Seriously though, so your solution is stop being a fan? Fun, huh...
I didn't say that. I said change the damn system.

The money is there to sustain player's salaries---but that money is going to the head coaches/AD bureucrats, and support non-revenue womens sports. Mens college Basketball and Football are now professional sports.
Iowa ought to be in good position with Top20 sports revenue---but hands are tied on how to spend that money.

$200K-$400K seems cheap---but we need a better mechanism to get interested Hawkeye fans to contribute towards better results than the SWARM. We also need a Billionaire sponsor.

When we pay Fran or his future replacement North of $3.2 million/year and we could buy a roster like ISU's for $1.2 million/year, I thing Iowa fans are suffering mediocrity because our money is not going where it needs to go.

KSU athletes vs Iowa's largely homegrown talent will be interesting game.
My wife hates the Swarm vodka just saying

The money is there to sustain player's salaries---but that money is going to the head coaches/AD bureucrats, and support non-revenue womens sports. Mens college Basketball and Football are now professional sports.
Iowa ought to be in good position with Top20 sports revenue---but hands are tied on how to spend that money.

$200K-$400K seems cheap---but we need a better mechanism to get interested Hawkeye fans to contribute towards better results than the SWARM. We also need a Billionaire sponsor.

When we pay Fran or his future replacement North of $3.2 million/year and we could buy a roster like ISU's for $1.2 million/year, I thing Iowa fans are suffering mediocrity because our money is not going where it needs to go.

Try offering $500,000 to a coach and see what happens..You might get some message board idiot. As far as non revenue women’s sports being subsidized - well it’s the law. Equal numbers. JFC get logical.

We are witnessing the death of college sports.
I doubt it. Not many schools seem to be playing in the deep end of NIL in football and basketball.

On top of that there is still the same number of players and schools. The players move around but it is still the same players and same number of schools.

Don’t see many schools good at both.

Fran wasn’t doing that well before NIL so no reason to think he would do well with NIL.

Reactions: DewHawk
There were a lot of vocal people on this site who were saying it was a great thing since coaches were making millions off the players. Maybe those of us who thought it was a bad thing should have spoke up. Probably wouldn’t have made any difference anyway.

Why are you against athletes being paid for their value?

Big difference between saying (1) the current NIL system is a joke and the solution is to allow athletes to opt-into employee status with binding contracts v. (2) we should continue to prohibit athletes from being compensated for their value.

Why are you against athletes being paid for their value?

Big difference between saying (1) the current NIL system is a joke and the solution is to allow athletes to opt-into employee status with binding contracts v. (2) we should continue to prohibit athletes from being compensated for their value.
Not against the athletes being paid.
What binding contracts? Look at the Proctor fiasco.
Because NIL has no guard rails things are out of hand.
Athletes were getting paid with a scholarship, Food, room and board before.
With NIL it's turned into semi pro with no caps or guards.
With the porta a coach can't build at team knowing one of his players is always looking to transfer for more money.
I don't see college sports surviving this way.

Reactions: DewHawk and amahawk
Not against the athletes being paid.
What binding contracts? Look at the Proctor fiasco.
Because NIL has no guard rails things are out of hand.
Athletes were getting paid with a scholarship, Food, room and board before.
With NIL it's turned into semi pro with no caps or guards.
With the porta a coach can't build at team knowing one of his players is always looking to transfer for more money.
I don't see college sports surviving this way.

we know all of the big SWARM Inc deals are going to Iowa football

and Caitlin, of course, got all of her deals separate from the SWARM collective

schools like Creighton that don't have football are benefitting; their collective money is going to MBB and that's it

Reactions: amahawk
This season Tony shot 29.9% from 3 and 43.2% overall.

If that's worth $300,000 (what Tony apparently wants), wow. :(
He's a proven athletic veteran from a big conference that has shown he can get hot, and if focused play at a 4-star level across the board. Not sure that's worth $300K to every team, but probably to some.

not sure Iowa MBB is going to compete in this environment
I mean it’s hard to have donors get excited about a program who has a coach here for 16 years and has, 3 ncaa tournament wins to show for it? 6-12 record in tournament overall but I believe he had 3 at Siena. Unless it’s 4 ncaa wins at Iowa and 2 at Siena.

Hopefully the new AD can figure out how to get some money coming into this program.

That's the kicker. We have the money but can't spend it on players. Instead the coaches get it. It would make sense to hire a coach on the cheap and spend the money on players. Let the free markets work.

He's a weird dude.
I believe he originally recruited Washpun, but didn't when he transferred. Or do I have that backwards?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT