ADVERTISEMENT

$200,000 is the starting point for an Elite Point Guard. Player not yet in Portal asking for $1,500,000

The NCAA can't enforce outside entities from donating NIL, but they can stop the schools/coaches from doing so. Therefore a school AD can't just pay the players directly. The only form of competition is hiring a "better" coach and that is why we continue to see Basketball coach Pay escallation---looks like the latest hires in Big10 basketball coaching are around $6 million/yr....that is far more than mid major pay and pay an some of the other conferences. It is ridiculous to see these coaches making out like bandits when winnng now is largely decided by NIL.

The UI. needs to find a way to funnel money from Iowa fans to NIL and do it in manner that is kosher with NCAA.
Its unfortunately probably more "political" than anything in the sense that the athletic departments don't want to give up their control over the money. If people start donating to the Swarm instead of the U of I Foundation, then the athletic director loses power and control over that money. I'm guessing that the athletic department and coaches could be doing more for Swarm, but they don't want to because it undermines their political base. I'm thinking about buying football tickets this year and upgrading with a required $2,300 donation to the foundation. That's BS. But the Foundation doesn't need the money, the Swarm does.

Reactions: BirdistheWord
Somehow some way, they need to cap NIL. Give each university a percentage of the TV money that goes towards NIL. Not paid through booster organizations with big monied influencers. If each college has $20 million to spread around, that's enough for all sports. And cap the amount each student athlete can receive.

Make if fair & equitable.

Problem is it’s largely in the shadows, kind anti block chain. I like the suggestion though, I fear “shadow” money would not go away. It’s a friggin mess. It’s like the Nuggets vs the Iowa Wolves.

Its unfortunately probably more "political" than anything in the sense that the athletic departments don't want to give up their control over the money. If people start donating to the Swarm instead of the U of I Foundation, then the athletic director loses power and control over that money. I'm guessing that the athletic department and coaches could be doing more for Swarm, but they don't want to because it undermines their political base. I'm thinking about buying football tickets this year and upgrading with a required $2,300 donation to the foundation. That's BS. But the Foundation doesn't need the money, the Swarm does.

It’s the equivalent to two divisions of a company competing against one another and neither wants to relinquish any of their budget. In this case one is large and very fat, it’s more survival.

I believe he originally recruited Washpun, but didn't when he transferred. Or do I have that backwards?
Washpun was openly lobbying for an Iowa offer for a long time, like years. He was teammates with Oglesby.

Washpun was the better player in highschool, although JO was ranked higher, but Fran didn't want to offer because he wasn't a shooter.

Fran finally offered him after he was out of other options at the last minute. He briefly verbaled but then ended up I think at Missouri and ultimately uni.

Washpun went on to be a significantly better player than Oglesby.

Just the fact that Fran wasn't interested in an elite athlete in his back yard while trying to rebuild a program wasn't a good sign of things to come.

I think any athlete on any college team should have to meet the same academic standards as any other student attending the school. And academic standards should be enforced. If not, professional leagues can fund their own minor leagues.

Reactions: GOHOX69
plenty of TV revenue for AD's to spend on athletics and more.

Reactions: Mohawkeye
Not against the athletes being paid.
What binding contracts? Look at the Proctor fiasco.
Because NIL has no guard rails things are out of hand.
Athletes were getting paid with a scholarship, Food, room and board before.
With NIL it's turned into semi pro with no caps or guards.
With the porta a coach can't build at team knowing one of his players is always looking to transfer for more money.
I don't see college sports surviving this way.

The point of making college athletes employees is so that you can have binding contracts to avoid the Proctor fiasco - or at least require the school receiving the transfer athlete (e.g., Alabama) to buy-out the departing school (Iowa). Make all payments / contracts above the table.

NIL is a joke today because, by rule, you cannot use NIL as an inducement for an athlete to attend a school. Everyone knows that is a farce.

Ignoring economic realities (i.e., the high value of college athletes) is what what has led to this mess. Time to make them employees.

Reactions: Mohawkeye
Washpun was openly lobbying for an Iowa offer for a long time, like years. He was teammates with Oglesby.

Washpun was the better player in highschool, although JO was ranked higher, but Fran didn't want to offer because he wasn't a shooter.

Fran finally offered him after he was out of other options at the last minute. He briefly verbaled but then ended up I think at Missouri and ultimately uni.

Washpun went on to be a significantly better player than Oglesby.

Just the fact that Fran wasn't interested in an elite athlete in his back yard while trying to rebuild a program wasn't a good sign of things to come.
He went to Tennessee and then transferred to UNI. No doubt he was a miss, but a lot of teams missed on him, hence the higher rating for Ogelsby. We were all pretty happy to get Oglesby at the time, he was a top 100 recruit. I think there were also grade/character issues involved as well, although my memory is fuzzy.

Reactions: BirdistheWord
You could buy $2300 worth of Swarm Beer and maybe end up feeling better.

Yeah, I don't think the Athletic Director is too keen to lose the Revenue from donations linked to I-club/better seats and funnel it to Swarm. So we're probably going to be non-competitive.

I know you guys are probably allergic to CycloneFanatic but Williams and Blum just did a pretty interesting pod. Blum runs Iowa State’s NIL fund.

Long story short, Cal to Arkansas has thrown the market off again and many players will be commanding at least 500k.

If you are paying an illiterate college player 500k to play a damn sport, and not attend a damn class, you're a freaking idiot. It's that simple. You should look in the mirror and see wtf you're doing. If you're doing this, you're no better than Al Bundy.

Reactions: amahawk
Long story short, Cal to Arkansas has thrown the market off again and many players will be commanding at least 500k.
It's truly amazing the times we live in. Seems to me the "market" has been off for awhile

So serious question. It says online Fran's salary is 3 to 3.2 million dollars. Would it be illegal for Fran to donate 1 million dollars of his salary to the swarm designated for basketball? Once again serious question.

So serious question. It says online Fran's salary is 3 to 3.2 million dollars. Would it be illegal for Fran to donate 1 million dollars of his salary to the swarm designated for basketball? Once again serious question.

not even sure what the rules are any more when it comes to NIL and donating to collectives. I would imagine there is a rule against coaches donating but I bet a coach could sue the NCAA and win

The NCAA has lost a not in the courts lately

not even sure what the rules are any more when it comes to NIL and donating to collectives. I would imagine there is a rule against coaches donating but I bet a coach could sue the NCAA and win

The NCAA has lost a not in the courts lately
Someone said somewhere that after the last Supreme Court decision regarding Tennessee and another school, that there are no rules and anything goes.

That seems about right for a healthy point guard with experience. Heck, we gave half that amount for a one legged quarterback.

Yes, that would be against NCAA regulations. Believe it or not, there are still a few rules in the Wild West and one of those are that schools/school administrators can’t directly be involved in paying their players.

I’m sure there are ways around it, not sure how legal, and I’m sure some coach, somewhere, has tried it.

AJ Storrs turned down $750,000. Wanted $1 million. Amazing.

Hate to say it, but I think a lot of fans are gonna say "f this" and move on to something else

Here is the Gazette's story on Tony looking for his $500,000 pay day.

The SWARM INC arm was not going to pay him that.

Remember when pay to play was highly against the rules?

I don't see Fran or any other coach donating their money to NIL.

AJ Storrs turned down $750,000. Wanted $1 million. Amazing.

Hate to say it, but I think a lot of fans are gonna say "f this" and move on to something else
I agree. If I want to watch pro sports, I will watch pro sports. Then "College" sports can be free to move to pay per view and go the way of boxing and fade away for most fans.

screw mens college basketball. maybe ill just watch womens basketball- until big money also ruins it

Women's players are also getting paid. Not the numbers of the men yet, but I assure you it's happening and some of the biggest players and biggest programs have plenty of cash to entice WBB players.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT