ADVERTISEMENT

$200,000 is the starting point for an Elite Point Guard. Player not yet in Portal asking for $1,500,000

that's a lot of Carver Cones

Ice Cream GIF

Completely unsustainable situation occurring in college athletics

The money is there to sustain player's salaries---but that money is going to the head coaches/AD bureucrats, and support non-revenue womens sports. Mens college Basketball and Football are now professional sports.
Iowa ought to be in good position with Top20 sports revenue---but hands are tied on how to spend that money.

$200K-$400K seems cheap---but we need a better mechanism to get interested Hawkeye fans to contribute towards better results than the SWARM. We also need a Billionaire sponsor.

When we pay Fran or his future replacement North of $3.2 million/year and we could buy a roster like ISU's for $1.2 million/year, I thing Iowa fans are suffering mediocrity because our money is not going where it needs to go.

KSU athletes vs Iowa's largely homegrown talent will be interesting game.

There needs to be a metric for actual play vs NIL utilized. If so, would we be in the tourney this year?

If I were an AD the best chance at a good/exciting product would be to fire existing coach(this is not about Fran and Iowa), hire an up and coming coach at 1 mil below previous coaches salary and use that extra million that would have gone to the coach in NIL to build a winning roster(on paper).

"That's the thing, this time there is no money, I give you two hundred grand what's that buy you? A guard? No I give it to you I'm wasting it"

and how does Iowa compete when our NIL Collective is only doing the big deals for football players?
Have to get some on the court success (NCAA tournament) to get the $$$ rolling in. Will have a hard time attaining that success without a quality transfer or two....

Catch 22.

Only other way would to toss Fran and make a home run hire that juices the donors.

Reactions: Chicagoherky71
This is why the ability to recruit out of high school is even more important now - get guys in early and it's going to be substantially cheaper to develop and/or retain
The only problem with the above is after you train them a couple of years and they mature they enter the portal and some other team benefits/rewarded with their last/best two years of play. The current College BBall debacle is untenable and eventually people will start tuning out IMO.

The money is there to sustain player's salaries---but that money is going to the head coaches/AD bureucrats, and support non-revenue womens sports. Mens college Basketball and Football are now professional sports.
Iowa ought to be in good position with Top20 sports revenue---but hands are tied on how to spend that money.

$200K-$400K seems cheap---but we need a better mechanism to get interested Hawkeye fans to contribute towards better results than the SWARM. We also need a Billionaire sponsor.

When we pay Fran or his future replacement North of $3.2 million/year and we could buy a roster like ISU's for $1.2 million/year, I thing Iowa fans are suffering mediocrity because our money is not going where it needs to go.

KSU athletes vs Iowa's largely homegrown talent will be interesting game.
I think you are on to something here. ^^ The value of a college coach is lower, in my mind anyway, if they are reduced to being a year-to-year assembler of a roster full of "for hire" players. Truly...if that is the "job", it isn't a multi-million dollar per year salary job...IMO. Another way of thinking about it...is there really a significant difference in the quality of "in game" coaching and strategy from say a big name D1 coach making millions v. say a clever D2 coach somewhere that might be making 6 figures?

Take the "savings" and "hire" more players. (I do definitely agree with those that say..."Hey, wait a minute, I thought this NIL wave was going allow the schools to share the big bucks that they rake in with the players...NOT...hustle the fan base for more money via donations to pay the players.".

This is why the ability to recruit out of high school is even more important now - get guys in early and it's going to be substantially cheaper to develop and/or retain
Actually, I see it as the opposite. Don't waste time for months or years (recruiting) trying to get some 17 year old to pick your school. Just put out a "want ad" every year let the players come to you, so to speak.

Have to get some on the court success (NCAA tournament) to get the $$$ rolling in. Will have a hard time attaining that success without a quality transfer or two....
This ….and I doubt substantial donations will be rolling in for a team coached by McCaffrey. A 40 year history of mediocrity isn’t going to open the wallets. Why send money to a coach who would selfishly play his sons over more talented players?

This ….and I doubt substantial donations will be rolling in for a team coached by McCaffrey. A 40 year history of mediocrity isn’t going to open the wallets. Why send money to a coach who would selfishly play his sons over more talented players?
Agree but I was a CMAC fan. IMO he brought a lot to the table even though he wasn’t much of a scorer.

PMAC brought next to nothing this year and didn’t deserve the minutes he got. It was a egregious having him on the floor as much as he was…

This is insane. Each team needs a cap and then each team can decide how it wants to spend the money.

This horseshit of ‘going to the highest bidder’ is not sustainable.
Well you know that as much as the NCAA has had their ASSES kicked around in the courts there is ZERO chance they would push for caps on teams spending. In effect that would be keeping players from actually making what they can on this NIL stupidity. That ain't happening......

Absolutely ridiculous. Just some context as well. His numbers are exactly 1/2 of Clarks scoring and assist averages. Whats a generational talent worth?

and Caitlin didn't take one cent from SWARM

we'll never know but think of all the times the WBB players were volunteering and getting paid by SWARM...all except Caitlin

Reactions: VodkaSam
Well you know that as much as the NCAA has had their ASSES kicked around in the courts there is ZERO chance they would push for caps on teams spending. In effect that would be keeping players from actually making what they can on this NIL stupidity. That ain't happening......

i am not even sure the NCAA can put any sort of guard rails on this "system" anymore

You guys love these student athletes becoming millionaires. Sell your homes and start cutting some checks.

Who said they loved it? This system is so FAR beyond broken......
If you're going to games and buying merch, you are in the mix. Don't go to games and they'll catch on. The demand for athletics and gambling on such sports has made it into the laughable situation it is now.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT