ADVERTISEMENT

Anyone have a “cut” of ISU’s radio call on “The Muff”

Game is replayed on Cyclones.TV numerous times over the next week. Anyone know if they're using their own announcer's audio or Fox?

As a Hawkeye, I’m naturally going to dislike Walters. But his presentation is much more enthusiastic than Dolph’s. Dolph’s call of the play was terrible. Still love Dolph but he is what he is.

I would love to hear Eric Heft’s soul crushing from that play though. Does he do football too?

I like Dolph as a person, but that was terrible. My god, show some emotion

Murph and Andy do a radio show on KXNO in the 2:00 hour where they play clips from the radio call. I bet the do both Dolph and Walters' calls for that one or for several different plays. They do a podcast too. I love that part of their show and listen every week.

Reactions: HemiHawk and HROT
I haven't heard either team's radio call, but my buddy from Cincinnati, who is a HUGE Hawkeye fan, said when he saw a video of the play it was nothing like what was described on the Iowa broadcast. He also asked if the Iowa color guy was Podolak, because he said he sounded drunk.

This is interesting to me because there was nothing questionable or controversial about the play and it happened right out there in front of God and everybody. The Cyclone blocker ran into the punt returner just as the ball got there. I didn't hear any fans questioning what had occurred. A lot of them questioned WHY, but not WHAT.

The only thing I can think of is that it happened on the west sideline and the press box is on that side. Maybe the radio guys didn't have a clear view.

I haven't heard either team's radio call, but my buddy from Cincinnati, who is a HUGE Hawkeye fan, said when he saw a video of the play it was nothing like what was described on the Iowa broadcast. He also asked if the Iowa color guy was Podolak, because he said he sounded drunk.

This is interesting to me because there was nothing questionable or controversial about the play and it happened right out there in front of God and everybody. The Cyclone blocker ran into the punt returner just as the ball got there. I didn't hear any fans questioning what had occurred. A lot of them questioned WHY, but not WHAT.

The only thing I can think of is that it happened on the west sideline and the press box is on that side. Maybe the radio guys didn't have a clear view.

I thought the same thing about Eddie. I figured with the weather delays he was hitting the bottle. I like Dolph have met him a few times and a great guy and wonderful ambassador of Iowa athletics. But I wish he would graciously pass the torch on to someone else for play calling duties. That being said I don't think he is going anytime soon because we saw after the mess with Iowa hoops Dolph has the backing of the most powerful person in Iowa athletics and that's his buddy Kirk Ferentz.

Dolph thought they were going to call the Iowa player for running into the punter or pushing the ISU guy into the punter so he figured at first it would be an Iowa penalty. That’s why dolph wasn’t too excited about it. Once he saw the replay he realized that made it an Iowa win but by then he wasn’t as excited as if he’d realized that from the very beginning.

As a Hawkeye, I’m naturally going to dislike Walters. But his presentation is much more enthusiastic than Dolph’s. Dolph’s call of the play was terrible. Still love Dolph but he is what he is.

I would love to hear Eric Heft’s soul crushing from that play though. Does he do football too?
I have nothing against Walters, but he doesn't seem like he has a sports radio voice. He should be doing the weather.

Have much respect for both gentlemen but it's passed their time. I don't see either leaving anytime soon, but they both should. Really need some energetic youth. Get Hassel and a player from the last 20 years; there are plenty right here in town that could fill the roll well.

If you think Dolph is bad calling football you should listen to him call a bball game; I can't imagine anyone doing a worse job of calling play-by-play.

I thought the same thing about Eddie. I figured with the weather delays he was hitting the bottle. I like Dolph have met him a few times and a great guy and wonderful ambassador of Iowa athletics. But I wish he would graciously pass the torch on to someone else for play calling duties. That being said I don't think he is going anytime soon because we saw after the mess with Iowa hoops Dolph has the backing of the most powerful person in Iowa athletics and that's his buddy Kirk Ferentz.
Would love to see Chris Hassel take over as the voice of the Hawkeyes some day, but he probably has a much better gig with CBS Sports right now. Huge Hawk fan, though -- wonder if he'd go for it.

That said, Dolph is a super nice guy and was extremely gracious with us when we ran across him after an Iowa game once. Only wish the best for him, and the same for Eddie. Ran into him in O'Hare last year and he couldn't have been nicer.

They had to pry the mic out of Jim Zabel's nearly cold and dead hands, so why would it be different with Dolph? Maybe because he's already had a couple of non-PC screwups?

Reactions: scotthawk1964
Have much respect for both gentlemen but it's passed their time. I don't see either leaving anytime soon, but they both should. Really need some energetic youth. Get Hassel and a player from the last 20 years; there are plenty right here in town that could fill the roll well.

If you think Dolph is bad calling football you should listen to him call a bball game; I can't imagine anyone doing a worse job of calling play-by-play.
Would love to see Chris Hassel take over as the voice of the Hawkeyes some day, but he probably has a much better gig with CBS Sports right now. Huge Hawk fan, though -- wonder if he'd go for it.

That said, Dolph is a super nice guy and was extremely gracious with us when we ran across him after an Iowa game once. Only wish the best for him, and the same for Eddie. Ran into him in O'Hare last year and he couldn't have been nicer.
Hassel would be awesome and he’s said that’s his dream job. Unfortunately, I don’t think Barta will allow it as long as he’s there. I doubt he has forgotten the “Lil Lick” spoof.

i heard it live on 1600 here in CR. It was nothing big..just "well that's it. Iowa is going to win.." in monotone voice.

I heard it too. Those guys were really good about giving Iowa credit. They're good guys and good sports.

Their fan base is full of losers.

I will say that I listened to them so I could enjoy their pain and they handled it so well that I was disappointed.

Call me the King of Schadenfreude :p

Last edited:
The radio guys may not have had the best view of the play from where they sit in the press box. They are watching with their old eyes, not with a 55" HDTV in front of them.

Even my wife didn't really see what happened until the replay when we were watching it on tv. If you didn't get a good look at it you wouldn't have seen the ball bouncing off their player, you just would have seen our guy recovering the ball after the collision. And usually a collision on a punt return catch ends up in a penalty on the kicking team. I get why they didn't seem all that excited at first.

Earlier in the broadcast Dolph said they were having trouble seeing stuff as the humidity in the press box was making the glass fog over. Dolph said right away that he didn't get a good look at it. Podolak was pretty well on top of things the whole time, he sounded as coherent as he always does. Just prior to the muffed punt, Podolak was pretty upset with Iowa going OOB and stopping the clock, so he seemed pretty aware of things.

The radio guys may not have had the best view of the play from where they sit in the press box. They are watching with their old eyes, not with a 55" HDTV in front of them.

Even my wife didn't really see what happened until the replay when we were watching it on tv. If you didn't get a good look at it you wouldn't have seen the ball bouncing off their player, you just would have seen our guy recovering the ball after the collision. And usually a collision on a punt return catch ends up in a penalty on the kicking team. I get why they didn't seem all that excited at first.
Satellite went out so I tuned to Sirius which carries home announcers. ISU guys knew immediately what had happened. They were bummed, not sure what else anyone would expect given the situation. I guess if you’re hoping for an “Oh, the humanity!“ and rending of garments type of reaction you’ll be disappointed.

Reactions: Fan In Black

Read somewhere that they plan on retiring at the same time but they didn't say when.

Reactions: cosmo90
Dolph thought they were going to call the Iowa player for running into the punter or pushing the ISU guy into the punter so he figured at first it would be an Iowa penalty. That’s why dolph wasn’t too excited about it. Once he saw the replay he realized that made it an Iowa win but by then he wasn’t as excited as if he’d realized that from the very beginning.

I went through the same thought process. It happened fast enough that i didnt see it clearly enough to be confident there'd be no flag.

I went through the same thought process. It happened fast enough that i didnt see it clearly enough to be confident there'd be no flag.
It was such an...interesting play that I think most people were kinda stunned and not sure just how to react.

Then when the smoke cleared, we’re all like, “Damn that was a long day. ‘Twas a fitting end to it all. Buh-bye.”

Reactions: Allaroundfan
I heard it too. Those guys were really good about giving Iowa credit. They're good guys and good sports.

Their fan base is full of losers.

I will say that I listened to them so I could enjoy their pain and that handled it so well that I was disappointed.

Call me the King of Schadenfreude :p
Do we have to call you the King? :) I always wanted to be called Capt. Kirk. LOL

They had to pry the mic out of Jim Zabel's nearly cold and dead hands, so why would it be different with Dolph? Maybe because he's already had a couple of non-PC screwups?
I don't know all of Dolph's on air screw ups, but I personally thought the King Kong comment was a crock, I didn't see anything racist there. IMOP It wasn't like he was pulling a Howard Cosell with the "look at that little Monkey run" comment.

I don't know all of Dolph's on air screw ups, but I personally thought the King Kong comment was a crock, I didn't see anything racist there. IMOP It wasn't like he was pulling a Howard Cosell with the "look at that little Monkey run" comment.

Actually Dolph probably was exactly like Howard Cosell. Later reports were that he often called his own grandchildren monkeys as a term of endearment based on how they scrambled around (and no, they weren’t black). Then someone found footage from a game 3 years prior where Howard excitedly referred to a little WR as a monkey during the game and that guy was white.

Howard wasn’t racist.

I do like Dolph's voice, but his play by play is just not there. I've never been a fan of Podalak's for whatever reason and I can't really put my finger on why.

With that said, plenty of great memories listening to them.

I have heard him call basketball games. He is simply incompetent. He doesn't communicate to his listeners what is happening.

[QUOTE="ih8iast8, post: 6867593, member: 12260]Cut Dolph some slack, that had to be an exhausting day.[/QUOTE]

not sure if serious.

In the future, kids who get in trouble with the law will be forced to listen to Iowa BB play by play. Punishment with a deterrent effect.

Reactions: Herkmeister
Earlier in the broadcast Dolph said they were having trouble seeing stuff as the humidity in the press box was making the glass fog over. Dolph said right away that he didn't get a good look at it. Podolak was pretty well on top of things the whole time, he sounded as coherent as he always does. Just prior to the muffed punt, Podolak was pretty upset with Iowa going OOB and stopping the clock, so he seemed pretty aware of things.

Damn it man, don't be throw'n cold water on the Dolph hate! it was just starting to get good. ( personally I don't mind Dolph, he is a great ambassador for the hawkeyes, generally he gets the point across on the PBP. Is it exact, prolly not but "close enough" for me.)

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT