ADVERTISEMENT

Anyone have sons/daughters playing tonight? Friday Night Lights!

HawkeyeShawn

HR Heisman
Nov 9, 2001
Its finally here! High school football season. Anyone else have kids playing tonight? If so, for what team and who are you playing?

My son is a junior and starts for Tri-Center (Class A). 6’3, 190 lb Defensive End and H-Back.

We play Riverside (Oakland/Carson/Macedonia).

TC hasn’t made the playoffs since 2012. Missed it by 1 game last season. I’m think this is the year they get back. I’m excited for some Friday night high school football!

My friend Shawn P from Atlantic is a HS official. His son is a senior and plays for Atlantic. I haven’t spoke to him recently. I’m wondering if he plans on officiating football this year or plans to be in the stands watching his son.

HAWKEYE SHAWN..... My son is the starting CB and in rotation at wide receiver for Treynor. Ranked in the top 10 in the state polls. Playing at Logan Magnolia tonight. Made the playoffs last year and returned all but 2 starters. We should be really good. Tri-Center not on our schedule in football....damn. Good luck to you guys.

Reactions: cmanole
Its finally here! High school football season. Anyone else have kids playing tonight? If so, for what team and who are you playing?

My son is a junior and starts for Tri-Center (Class A). 6’3, 190 lb Defensive End and H-Back.

We play Riverside (Oakland/Carson/Macedonia).

TC hasn’t made the playoffs since 2012. Missed it by 1 game last season. I’m think this is the year they get back. I’m excited for some Friday night high school football!
My son (9th grade in Ankeny) had his season opener against Waukee last night. 41-0 baby!

Reactions: cmanole and UI2390
HAWKEYE SHAWN..... My son is the starting CB and in rotation at wide receiver for Treynor. Ranked in the top 10 in the state polls. Playing at Logan Magnolia tonight. Made the playoffs last year and returned all but 2 starters. We should be really good. Tri-Center not on our schedule in football....damn. Good luck to you guys.

Very cool. You guys are 1A, right? You should have no issues with LOMA. Treynor has a great group of athletes right now, Freshman - Senior. I know your S&C coach as I coach youth basketball and run into him quite a bit. He and I don’t always see eye to eye, but that’s just two competitive coaches going at it.

Good luck tonight and this season.

Reactions: Hammer93
Very cool. You guys are 1A, right? You should have no issues with LOMA. Treynor has a great group of athletes right now, Freshman - Senior. I know your S&C coach as I coach youth basketball and run into him quite a bit. He and I don’t always see eye to eye, but that’s just two competitive coaches going at it.

Good luck tonight and this season.
S&C coach has that affect on a lot of people ;)

My kids aren't old enough yet, but my nephew is a junior WR/CB for CR Xavier. Not sure how much he will play, he's more of a basketball player. Xavier looking to extend their 26 game winning streak.

Nope. My wife and I were just talking how hard it was to believe it was 17 years ago our son was getting ready for his SR. Season.

No kids but any fellow officials on the board here? Love me some Friday nights.
My son has the plate tonight for the Harrisburg Senators vs Altoona Curve. Kind of a cross between son playing and officiating........

Kids are all graduated but I have a nephew that plays for Omaha Skutt. He is a true Hawkeye despite having a Husker mama so rooting hard for all good things to come his way. I know he kicks and plays defense I think. Go Z!

Nice. I know their HC, Matt Turman. I used to be in a fantasy football league with him. He has a great program there.

Reactions: 3boysmom
Apparently the best football on TV in Houston was the upset of Katy HS v. North Shore HS

I'm going to peek in on my alma mater on youtube for a minute or two but I'll probably be paying more attention to Wisconsin game when it finally starts. A-P has been hit or miss for several years and participation is way down (maybe closer to normal for a school its size). They have cross country now which is disappointing to anyone who went there when I went there or for about 2-3 decades before I got there.

Tri-Center got the win, 35-22. Closer than expected.

The surprise score in our area was Underwood pounding AHSTW 56-6. Granted, UW is 1A and AHSTW is A. AHSTW is coming off a state runner up season.

Reactions: Hammer93
I coach your kid. I kind of want to know who you are, but I kind of don't.
Question for you. How does his class compare in general? Over the years I have thought has class has a crazy amount of speed across the board but they struggled with line play. That was the case last year. It looks like it has improved but we lost a couple of studs to moves out of state in the last couple of years. But I’m too close to the fire with his class and haven’t really observed classes to know how they really compare. Curious on your thoughts at a general level...

Good depth of athletes. We have aren't playing kids two ways except for a couple personnel packages plus more rotating with starters at RB, WR, and DB. Not as much depth up front, but that seems to be Centennial football. The lines executed reasonably well for week 1, but I don't think we're playing a team that's physically good up front until week 4. We'll learn more about how physical we are then. The two classes ahead of them (10th and 11th) have several good players, but have little depth. I think the two classes behind them (7th and 8th) are also going to have good depth of athletes.

Good depth of athletes. We have aren't playing kids two ways except for a couple personnel packages plus more rotating with starters at RB, WR, and DB. Not as much depth up front, but that seems to be Centennial football. The lines executed reasonably well for week 1, but I don't think we're playing a team that's physically good up front until week 4. We'll learn more about how physical we are then. The two classes ahead of them (10th and 11th) have several good players, but have little depth. I think the two classes behind them (7th and 8th) are also going to have good depth of athletes.
Good stuff thanks for your thoughts. Of the big guys on the team over the years, one of the most physically dominant ones is playing quarterback... Also losing Blake O a couple of years ago really hurt. In 7th grade he was 6'4 with a size 17 shoe and was one of the faster kids in the north. But, this class has speed for days... Looking forward to the rest of the season and thanks for coaching. I've helped coach my kid over the years in football and baseball and I know what a time sacrifice it is. FWIW my kid thinks you guys are really good coaches. Let's go!

Also congrats to Treynor on their win over LOMA, 36-12.

Thanks Shawn. I think it was 1 point game at halftime with LOMA. Treynor crushed them in the 2nd half with rushing a couple of extra guys on defense and getting some really big plays out of Jake F at QB and our running backs. LOMA refused to throw and I think they thought that they could out tough Treynor up front. Worked in the 1st half, our line rotations on the defensive front paid dividends in the 3rd and 4 quarters.

UPDATE: My Freshman kicker, who has never played a down of football in his life, was asked to start drilling as a wide receiver too. I’m not totally surprised. He’s a talented enough a wrestler to have a shot at the state tournament some day, and a legit college prospect in soccer. We’re not so sure we want to risk a major head injury though.

UPDATE: My Freshman kicker, who has never played a down of football in his life, was asked to start drilling as a wide receiver too. I’m not totally surprised. He’s a talented enough a wrestler to have a shot at the state tournament some day, and a legit college prospect in soccer. We’re not so sure we want to risk a major head injury though.
You in the DSM area?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT