ADVERTISEMENT

Apple will start selling you the parts you need to fix your iPhone in early 2022

cigaretteman

HR King
May 29, 2001
Shattered screens and aging batteries in iPhones used to require a trip to the Apple Store — or a local repair shop — to fix. But starting in early 2022, iPhone owners in the United States who want to try repairing their ailing device can do so with some help from Apple itself.
Help Desk: Technology coverage that makes tech work for you
Apple surprised “Right to Repair” advocates by announcing a new Self Service Repair program, which will allow owners of its products to request the official tools, components and manuals needed to repair damaged Apple products on their own.
“Creating greater access to Apple genuine parts gives our customers even more choice if a repair is needed,” Jeff Williams, Apple’s chief operating officer, said in a statement.

At first, Apple will sell parts and tools for repairing iPhone 12 and iPhone 13 series smartphones, including commonly needed components such as batteries and cameras, from an online storefront. After that, the company plans to offer similar repair resources to people who want to repair their M1-powered Mac computers. (For now, it’s unclear how much those specific replacement parts will cost consumers.)

Once consumers have completed their repairs, they can send their old, used components back to Apple to be recycled.
Apple’s shifting stance comes after prolonged scrutiny of tech industry repair restrictions. In May, the Federal Trade Commission presented a report to Congress outlining the ways companies can make getting their products repaired more difficult. And in July, President Biden signed an executive order that tasked the agency with tackling “unfair anticompetitive restrictions on third-party repair or self-repair of items.”

While replacing iPhone screens and swapping batteries can be easier than most people expect, the process still isn’t always simple. Even getting into the iPhone itself can be difficult — Apple uses adhesives to seal its phones shut, and repair technicians frequently rely on heating pads or heat guns to soften that glue before successfully cracking the device open.

ADVERTISING

Because of that, Apple still cautions that “the vast majority” of people should still leave such repairs to professionals. Even so, the company’s about-face on the idea of letting consumers repair their own products has advocates feeling cautiously optimistic.

“One of the most visible opponents to repair access is reversing course, and Apple’s move shows that what repair advocates have been asking for was always possible,” said Nathan Proctor, senior director of the nonprofit U.S. Public Interest Research Group’s Right to Repair campaign. “After years of industry lobbyists telling lawmakers that sharing access to parts, service tools and manuals would result in safety, security and intellectual property risks, Apple’s sudden change indicates these concerns were overblown.”

IFixit, a website that offers guides and sells tools for fixing electronics, welcomed the news.

Chief executive Kyle Wiens said Apple pioneered glued-in batteries and proprietary screws and now it is taking the first steps on a path back to long-lasting, repairable products.
“iFixit believes that a sustainable, repairable world of technology is possible. We are looking forward to seeing Apple follow up on this commitment to improve their repairability,” he said in a statement.

Reactions: Joes Place
7580.gif
Will parts be cheaper if you already have the tools?

This absolutely makes sense. People are going to give Apple money to try to fix their stuff now instead of taking it to the cell phone repair shop that is sourcing parts from who knows where with Apple getting no cut.

Plus these things are so hard to get into that people will inevitably break them more when trying to repair them and end up having to buy a new phone. I replaced a screen on an iPhone 6 which wasn’t that hard, but I have to imagine the new ones are much more difficult.

Ironic this got posted today. It took five hours to get the battery replaced in my iPhone SE this afternoon.

If you go into settings and click on Battery, it'll tell you if your battery needs to be replaced. You can then go to the apple website, sign in, enter your phone's serial number, and a list of places show up where you can make appointments for service. So, I made an appointment at the nearest location to me, a Best Buy.

Well I get there and after waiting for two old coots to stop talking about their grandkids with the technician, I finally get to speak with her only to be told they don't have any batteries for my iPhone. "We can't even order them," she said.

"Then why does Apple send me here?" I wondered.

So I call Apple and they sent me about 20 miles away to an actual Apple store at a mall. Man, that place was freaking packed. You'd think they were giving stuff away in there.

An hour and half later, I got my phone back with a new battery. Then because it was rush hour, it took another hour and a half to get home.

What a freaking hassle. Sign me up for self repair next time, please.

Reactions: cigaretteman
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT