ADVERTISEMENT

Armchair Rant: Stanley needs to tuck and run

nu2u

HR Legend
Aug 10, 2006
when the opportunity presents itself. Opponent defenses have virtually zero expectation that he will do so.

For some unknown reason, he is reluctant to do so even when he is clear of the pocket ad has 25 yards of open field in front of him. Yesterday, for instance, he scrambled away from trouble and forced a long pass to a well-covered Easley inside the 10 when he could have easily gained 15 or more and made a 1st down.

Just watched Kurt Cousins scramble for 10 and a 1st in a far less open field. He ran out of bounds and no 49'er player laid a hand on him. With well established QB sliding rules in place, there is no reason for Nate not to run on broken plays more often - none.

There is very little risk and potentially big rewards, namely: sustained drives. If he would run more often, eventually DBs will hedge away from coverage when he scrambles toward the LOS. Right now, they are running away from him when he is running all alone with an open field ahead.

I'm not talking about Tate or Banks mobility. I'd be happy to see Jake Ruddock level scrambles …. 2 maybe 3 1st downs per game with his feet. /Rant

Stanley did scramble for a decently long 1st down yesterday and he looked stupid slow which surprised me for how big his stride is

Reactions: Harbinger273
He could have had a couple more scrambles yesterday that would have been timely decisions for the offense. Just get what he can. As big as he is injury seems less likely. He has to avoid his slow thinking process and react!

He had 2 opportunities to just tuck and run when it would have been the better decision. Might even bug me more than a couple of his “misfires”. Needs to make good decisions. No, he isn’t going to break a long one but the first one he had an open lane to pick up 4-6 yards and go out of bounds. The 2nd was the deep ball to Easley, I know he is painfully slow but looked like he still could have run 10 yards before a defender could have even touched him.

I think Stanley did a pretty good job last year. You could literally see his improvement from early games, fumbling snaps, to the high point of throttling Ohio State.

I'm not an armchair kind of fan, I know the kid is still green, plays hard, and is doing his best. That being said in year 2 the decision making process and consistency needs to improve, that will help. His spotty inaccuracy is becoming a problem, add in drops by WR and it makes us one dimensional which we can't afford to be.

Agree, he needs to tuck and run when it's closing in on him and he doesn't have anything downfield. Take what they give you.

I would agree Stanley once flushed out of the pocket could and probably should have ran with it. I don't think he is as slow as we think he is, of course, no dual threat either which makes me wonder why Brian would have purposely called a QB run yesterday. Yeah, I don't personally think Brian called a bad game, but I was shocked when he called the one QB run which went for nothing.

yea Stanley is 10-5 with 3 losses of 7 points or less......he sucks. Oh and receivers cant seem to get seperation and they drop plenty of passes he sucks.

Stanley has shown he is more willing to pull it down and get some yards. If B. SMITH throws a decent block on his one scramble he could have gained more. Even though that RPO looked horrible it made the defense think about it. He needs to do that once a blue moon and hopefully get 5 when we need it.

He definitely should've run on that scramble to the right, but Easley had a step on his gut off the broken route. There was just miscommunication (obviously) and Stanley went waaay too deep on the improv throw.

Before we rant against Stanley... remember one thing... he ain't Kyle Kempt! That's the definition of "garbage".

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT