ADVERTISEMENT

As a parent, what would you do?

Unrelated, but I find this very hard to believe. I know eight-year-olds that could knock an apple off the top of your head with a baseball from 46 feet. Surely a trained officer of the law could do better with a handgun.

I find that pretty hard to believe too. My first time firing a handgun I was hitting a target smaller then a human at distances greater then 15 feet. I'd hate to think I was better then the cops at my first crack at it.

I guess the answer is to arm all schoolchildren with baseballs then. Who wouldn't get behind that initiative?
giphy.gif

I find that pretty hard to believe too. My first time firing a handgun I was hitting a target smaller then a human at distances greater then 15 feet. I'd hate to think I was better then the cops at my first crack at it.
See the info I posted. Now try hitting a moving target, with other targets around it moving as well, with screams and such all around.

How many shots are fired at suspects on the average? Have you seen shoot outs before?

This study aimed to examine the level of shooting accuracy demonstrated by law enforcement recruits upon completion of their law enforcement firearms training in comparison with novice shooters. One hundred and ninety-five male and 52 female law enforcement recruits volunteered. Participants were separated by firearms experience into the following groups: expert (completed law enforcement firearms course, n = 83), intermediate (recreational experience, n = 71) and novice (minimal/no experience, n = 93). All subjects were tested for accuracy at target locations from 3 to 75 ft. For all locations, no difference was found in accuracy between expert and intermediate groups (p > 0.30). Experts and intermediates had better results than novices on all locations (p < 0.05) except from 3 to 15 ft. Alarmingly, experts were only 10% more accurate than novices between 3 and IS ft. Finally, novices and intermediate shooters were more likely to hit head locations from 3 ft (57%), whereas experts mainly hit the body location (78%). The results of this study indicate that officers had no advantage over intermediate shooters and a small advantage over novices

That's not what you claimed at all.

You claimed officers have a hard time hitting people at distances greater then 15 feet.

This said that expert shooters and novice shoots where pretty close to equal in accuracy under 15 feet. Probably because 15 feet is so freaking close that someone who's never shot a handgun before can hit the target at that range.

If the novice can hit it 100% of the time. It's impossible for the expert to do better.

For the record you didn't even link the study you quoted.

I'm glad you're here, Jreed. Welcome to the land of LR exhiles :)

How's your pool?

Thank you, though I used to come here in the early to mid 2000's, but stopped when you had to pay.

Pool is not doing good........I need to replace the laterals in my sand filter, because whoever first put the sand in did it without water in it so they broke some laterals. Over the last 3 years all of the sand ended up in the pool, so the water is not being filtered. I've spent more on chemicals this year than the previous few years combined.

I like how you went from pistol to knife. Like that is the direction people thought you had to go. Sure, he can do that when somebody has a gun, but let's seem him try it when it gets real and the guy has a knife.
And he's attempting to stab your shin.

Send a kid to school. First of all, it's likely a huge overreaction, but places have to take those things seriously these days. Secondly, with all the extra police at school it's not like anything is going to happen.

On a somewhat related note, a kid that was being cyber bullied where I live shot himself before school a week ago. I take all of this stuff very seriously.

That's not what you claimed at all.

You claimed officers have a hard time hitting people at distances greater then 15 feet.

This said that expert shooters and novice shoots where pretty close to equal in accuracy under 15 feet. Probably because 15 feet is so freaking close that someone who's never shot a handgun before can hit the target at that range.

If the novice can hit it 100% of the time. It's impossible for the expert to do better.

For the record you didn't even link the study you quoted.
Go read my post again. I most certainly did NOT say beyond 15ft. Again, the target shooting is under ZERO pressure.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT